PDA

View Full Version : Rich People Are Mad They Have to Pay So Many Taxes on Their Ballooning Incomes

aGameOfThrones
04-14-2014, 10:12 PM
No group of Americans is less happy about the taxes they pay than the wealthy, The Wall Street Journal reports, glossing over the fact that they are paying more in taxes in large part because they are seeing most of the increase in incomes. This is like being mad that you paid more in sales tax on your Bentley than your doorman paid in taxes for a Ford.

The Journal, being the literal journal of Wall Street, takes great pains to articulate the anguish of the wealthy while downplaying that contributing factor. "Higher earners' share of the overall federal tax burden has been climbing fairly steadily," the Journal's John McKinnon writes, "even before lawmakers negotiated the fiscal-cliff deal at the end of 2012." He tells the story of a business owner that saw her taxes "rise from around $600,000 in 2012 to more than $700,000." That's a steep increase. And, McKinnon continues, it was "driven mainly by changes in investment-tax rates on the $2 million in dividends she received from her firm." Oh. Well. Sorry? "She was really shocked by the increase," her attorney said. "That one hit home." Which home? Not the Aspen one, I hope.

Interestingly, no one is complaining more about the taxes they pay than the rich. Gallup published a new survey on Monday showing that more than half of Americans feel as though their taxes are too high — but only barely. Forty-two percent of Americans think that they're paying about the right amount.

There's a significant split along party lines — one that has emerged since January 20, 2009. "[T]he pattern has changed from prior to Barack Obama's presidency," Gallup writes, "when Americans across partisan groups felt similarly about whether their taxes were too high." In 2006, the percentage of Democrats and Republicans who thought their taxes were too high were equivalent. Now, Republicans and independents are both far more likely to say they're too high, at about 58 percent each.

But 61 percent of those making over $80,000 a year in income think taxes are too high. For those making between $30,000 and $80,000, a plurality think the level of taxes is about right.

The data isn't broken down any further, and the sample sizes are probably too small to do so. But it's fair to assume that as those incomes increase — and as the taxes paid increase — opposition to the level of taxation goes up, too. Like anyone else, I would be mad if I suddenly had to pay an extra $100,000 in taxes. But I would gladly take the $2 million in income that prompted the increase. This complaint is a problem reserved for America's real lucky duckies.

http://news.yahoo.com/rich-people-mad-pay-many-taxes-ballooning-incomes-133000404.html

Ronin Truth
04-14-2014, 10:19 PM
Tell them to complain to the misguided rich that want higher taxes.

fr33
04-14-2014, 10:31 PM
Tell them to send their money overseas, stop hiring voters, and stop asking government to fix it.

oyarde
04-14-2014, 11:05 PM
There must be a lot of pretty stupid people making 70k a yr if they think taxes are " about right " .

56ktarget
04-15-2014, 03:29 AM
Income taxes are at the lowest rates in more than 50 years... more proof people want their pudding without paying for it...

otherone
04-15-2014, 06:32 AM
Income taxes are at the lowest rates in more than 50 years... more proof people want their pudding without paying for it...

Where's the fucking pudding.

http://www.motherjones.com/files/images/blog_drone_missile.jpg

Carlybee
04-15-2014, 06:53 AM

Factor in inflation and that dog don't hunt. Cost of goods is probably at an all time high. I saw a lb of bacon the other day for $7. I'm not rich but even I know the taxes I am levied pays for a a lot of pudding for those who don't pay a red cent.

tod evans
04-15-2014, 07:00 AM
You'll not catch me ragging on the rich.......

Or the poor for that matter.

It's government that I don't want to fund!

Every tax-tick from the welfare mom to the douche at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave., there's not a one I'm comfortable supporting!

FindLiberty
04-15-2014, 07:54 AM
Taxes? Taxes are only the annoying decoy that's used to distract from a much greater problem. When the total collected tax revenue (used for budget calculations and most discussions) includes the taxes collected from all the government employees, contractors and suppliers that are paid from those very same taxes (and inflation debt/deficit money) from thin air, taxes are near-nothing by comparison to the fed-fiat inflation! Taxes from non-gov taxpayers can't possibly pay for wars, surveillance by big brother and a whole list of things the average person does not want or even need. Deceptive tax/budget calculations are huge distraction.

That fed-fiat inflation engine is the semi-secret evil thing that's both killing the economy/country/world and also temporarily saving it at the same time.

The Creature from Jekyll Island maintains this life-support cycle by infusing more and more saline fluid into both arms while all sort of vampires quietly drain out the last life-giving red cells from the neck. Since more fluids are always flowing in than out, some individuals may experience depression, lack of energy and some swelling. Be very careful in these troubled times because those vampires always get really nasty when their appetites aren't properly satisfied.

If you are feeling all watered down, hosed, bloated, or experience a profound loss of substance, please consult with our doctor (Ron Paul).

kcchiefs6465
04-15-2014, 08:10 AM
No group of Americans is less happy about the taxes they pay than the wealthy,
I doubt it.

The Wall Street Journal reports, glossing over the fact that they are paying more in taxes in large part because they are seeing most of the increase in incomes. This is like being mad that you paid more in sales tax on your Bentley than your doorman paid in taxes for a Ford.
No, it's like being mad that someone who didn't do anything to earn the money, robs you of what you worked for.

Then to top it off, they are brewing ale with your money, studying waterfowl dicks, murdering people, and building camel sculptures... in no particular order. Anyone who is content with the amount of money they pay needs to lay off the psychotropics.

oyarde
04-15-2014, 08:25 AM

I want no pudding , nor do I wish to pay for it .

Occam's Banana
04-15-2014, 08:31 AM
No group of Americans is less happy about the taxes they pay than the wealthy,
I doubt it.

Yeah, same here. :rolleyes:

I mean, what the hell? Do they have some kind of happy-meter? What units does it use?
Does it have a wand, like some geiger counters? Or maybe a parabolic receiver for collecting the "happy rays" emitted by tax payers ...

oyarde
04-15-2014, 08:47 AM

Over $4 of every $10 I make goes to some form of tax. I see no reason to be pleased with that. Of course , I am not yet insane , nor do I take any meds , so that may have something to do with it.

oyarde
04-15-2014, 09:35 AM
Factor in inflation and that dog don't hunt. Cost of goods is probably at an all time high. I saw a lb of bacon the other day for $7. I'm not rich but even I know the taxes I am levied pays for a a lot of pudding for those who don't pay a red cent.

I can still get bacon , less than $4 , but that $7 , is probably going to be the new bacon price this summer , I imagine .

euphemia
04-15-2014, 09:44 AM
I don't make all that much and pay almost half in taxes. We live small. It's a good thing, but we are getting to the point where we won't have much discretionary income because the government will take it all.

Instead of hating the rich, realize that taxes hit everyone, and get on board with insisting the government stop confiscating the money we earn. Money. Ranch. It's the same thing.

oyarde
04-15-2014, 09:50 AM

The amount of tax collected is at an all time high , and that is with only 60 % working and only half of them pay . So 30 % pays for the rest and there is still deficit . Doomed to fail .

asurfaholic
04-15-2014, 09:54 AM
My combined income this year hit 6 digits for the first time, taxes are too damn high. I feel like I'm making less than I used to. In fact after a $3/hr increase at one point last year, my weekly income only increased around $15 IIRC.. I got a couple more raises that ended up helping quite a bit, but increased taxes on my property which is depreciating in value, increased rates for just about everything else, it just leaves you feeling poorer.

And I call bullshit on partisan poll results that suggest that republicans just don't like the taxes by democrats. I think things have gotten much worse since the bush years, and people are feeling a very real squeeze. Obama care is a major contributing factor.

jbauer
04-15-2014, 10:02 AM
There must be a lot of pretty stupid people making 70k a yr if they think taxes are " about right " .

they don't "pay" any taxes. It comes out of their checks and they get a refund in April. Its all about perception.

angelatc
04-15-2014, 10:10 AM

I don't want any pudding, and I sure the heck don't want to buy you any either.

angelatc
04-15-2014, 10:12 AM
they don't "pay" any taxes. It comes out of their checks and they get a refund in April. Its all about perception.

No that isn't true. Most of those incomes don't come from payroll - they come from investments which are taxed at lower rates than income. And most people who are that wealthy do indeed pay at the end of the year - they employ people to make sure the government isn't using their money interest free all year long.

KingNothing
04-15-2014, 10:14 AM
Anyone who is mad about taxes is welcomed to be my friend.

KingNothing
04-15-2014, 10:16 AM
If all of us were taxed at 30-percent cumulatively instead of 40-percent, taxes would be too high. If we were taxed at 20-percent, taxes would be too high. If we were taxed at 10-percent, taxes would be too high. If we were taxed at 1-percent, taxes would be too high.

ANY cut in taxes to ANY group of people is important and good and should be lauded. Any increase should be fought tooth and nail. Fuck taxes!

VIDEODROME
04-15-2014, 10:30 AM
I wonder how much of this is lack of perceived value we're getting in return for our taxes? I think we rightly suspect much of our money is just wasted and that causes a lot of the frustration.

Carlybee
04-15-2014, 10:32 AM
If I hated the rich I wouldn't have a job..the less my employer has to pay..and he pays a lot...the better my chances of continued employment. He really doesn't need to stay in business. Of course I'm one of those weirdos who likes to work for my living.