PDA

View Full Version : Police Are Testing a "Live Google Earth" To Watch Crime As It Happens

CaseyJones
04-14-2014, 01:51 PM
http://gizmodo.com/police-are-testing-a-live-google-earth-to-watch-crime-1563010340?utm_campaign=socialflow_gizmodo_twitter&utm_source=gizmodo_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VkKeM-OK6g

In Compton last year, police began quietly testing a system that allowed them to do something incredible: Watch every car and person in real time as they ebbed and flowed around the city. Every assault, every purse snatched, every car speeding away was on record—all thanks to an Ohio company that monitors cities from the air.

The Center for Investigative Reporting takes a look at a number of emerging surveillance technologies in a new video, but one in particular stands out: A wide-area surveillance system invented by Ross McNutt, a retired Air Force veteran who owns a company called Persistent Surveillance Systems.

McNutt describes his product as "a live version of Google Earth, only with TiVo capabilities," which is intriguing but vague (and also sounds a lot like the plot of this terrible Denzel movie). More specifically, PSS outfits planes with an array of super high-resolution cameras that allow a pilot to record a 25-square-mile patch of Earth constantly—for up to six hours.

phill4paul
04-14-2014, 01:56 PM
Just read about this. Thanks for beating me to the punch in posting. The integration of a total Panopticon continues unabated.

satchelmcqueen
04-14-2014, 03:27 PM
so no more privacy behind your privacy fence. ty assholes!!

dannno
04-14-2014, 03:30 PM
You can't make this stuff up.

invented by Ross McNutt, a retired Air Force veteran who owns a company called Persistent Surveillance Systems.

libertyjam
04-14-2014, 03:44 PM
You can't make this stuff up.

invented by Ross McNutt, a retired Air Force veteran who owns a company called Persistent Surveillance Systems.

As a small child I used to wonder why kids that exhibited this sort of tendency weren't taken out and drowned in the river, and adults locked up in the insane asylum.

jbauer
04-14-2014, 06:32 PM
But they can't find a plane in ocean?

Danke
04-14-2014, 06:35 PM
I guess I'm gonna have to stop walking around my property naked.

Anti Federalist
04-14-2014, 07:03 PM
so no more privacy behind your privacy fence. ty assholes!!

Private Company!!!

They can do whatever they want!!!

Blarg Blarg Blarg

Dianne
04-14-2014, 07:04 PM
I hope they will start from their own station first. I worked in the prison system ... My greatest fear was always fellow officers before perps ... And I was told from day 1 of training, that the inmates I patrolled were not to be feared, nearly as much as my fellow officers. Corruption, blackmail, extortion, etc. A large majority of law enforcement officers are as bad or worse than the people they put away.

CPUd
04-14-2014, 11:36 PM
http://i.imgur.com/qgbuoFg.gif

moostraks
04-15-2014, 05:55 AM
You bunch of kooks. They're just trying to protect, aw crap, can't do this one either...

The control freaks that have turned technology into a weapon used against the public need to have this crap turned upon themselves, and them alone. We cannot record inside government buildings. We cannot record police in many places without being willing to pony up the money for a law suit after likely bodily harm along with destruction of our recording equipment. This technology is as offensive if not more so than when the story broke on how much the government knows about our internet transactions. Yet, my guess is, many will applaud this surveillance until they start finding it will be used by code, children services (we didn't see you supervising your children outside), animal control, EPA, and the list goes on. By then the system will be so prevalent it will be virtually impossible to get rid of and we can all reminisce about the good old days when we could sit outside without flyovers costing us various lawsuits for the laws we unwittingly break every day.

Suzanimal
04-15-2014, 06:11 AM
In the (not so distant) future, I see this working like those red light cameras. We'll all be micro-chipped and when we're caught breaking some stupid law, we'll be sent a ticket in the mail (complete with a grainy b&w photo) or worse, a visit from Officer "Friendly". We're so fucked.