PDA

View Full Version : Cleared Of Murder After 25 Years In Jail (Receipt Showing He Was Out Of Town At The Time)

kcchiefs6465
04-12-2014, 10:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuDRKmf37Ps

It was the summer of 1989.

Jonathan Fleming and his family left their New York home and headed for Disney World in Orlando, Fla.

On vacation, he accumulated seemingly insignificant things: plane tickets, a few postcards and a hotel receipt for an $81.92 phone bill, which he says he slipped into his pocket.

That receipt was reportedly still in his pocket when police arrested him for the murder of a friend, Darryl “Black” Rush, who was shot to death in Brooklyn on Aug. 15, 1989, in what authorities suggested was a dispute over stolen money.

That receipt was time-stamped about five hours before the shooting, showing he was more than 1,000 miles away at the time.

But that receipt was never given to his attorney and never presented at his trial.
Fleming was convicted and sentenced to 25 years to life.

Just a few months shy of a parole hearing, a New York judge on Tuesday vacated Fleming’s conviction after prosecutors determined he was indeed innocent.

After serving 24 years and 8 months in prison for a crime he never committed, Fleming, now 51, walked out of a Brooklyn courtroom.

“The day is finally here. I’ve dreamed about it many nights,” he told reporters. “I’m finally a free man.”

hxxp://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/04/09/another-innocent-man-convicted-of-murder-is-freed-after-25-years-in-prison/?tid=hp_mm

Anti Federalist
04-12-2014, 11:17 PM
Why I no longer support capital punishment, reason #21,891.

kcchiefs6465
04-12-2014, 11:49 PM
Why I no longer support capital punishment, reason #21,891.
Likewise.

My father to this day keeps every receipt, no matter how small or how it was paid, in a box. He has told me before that this is the reason: that if they ever say he committed a crime, he'd possibly have evidence of his whereabouts at the time.

Vanguard101
04-13-2014, 01:10 AM
O he was black. Expected :(

Anti Federalist
06-20-2014, 01:43 AM
Hope he wins twice that.

Man cleared in '89 NYC killing plans $162M suit

Posted: Jun 17, 2014 10:03 PM EDT Updated: Jun 17, 2014 10:23 PM EDT

http://www.myfoxny.com/story/25803618/man-cleared-in-89-nyc-killing-plans-162m-suit

NEW YORK (AP) - A man recently exonerated in a 1989 New York City killing that happened while he was visiting Disney World has filed papers showing he plans to seek $162 million from the city.

That's according to a lawyer for Jonathan Fleming, who spent nearly 25 years behind bars in the case. Attorney Taylor Koss says he filed what's called a notice of claim Tuesday with the city comptroller's office. The notice is a first step toward suing the city.

The comptroller's office had no immediate comment.

Fleming was released in April, after the Brooklyn district attorney's office said it now agrees that his alibi was valid.

A key eyewitness had recanted, newly found witnesses implicated someone else and prosecutors' review of authorities' files turned up documents backing Fleming's alibi.