PDA

View Full Version : Report: Marinating meat in beer reduces cancer risk

Suzanimal
04-12-2014, 12:48 PM
1. I didn't know grilled meat
can sometimes contain cancer-causing substances after cooking, I guess ignorance is bliss.
2. I like beer, I like grilled meat and I like not getting cancer. Win, win, win, for me.
:D

Who doesn’t love a cold beer at a BBQ on a hot summer day? Well your BBQ just got even better, because according to a new study, using it to marinate your meats before grilling can actually help reduce your risk of cancer.

Studies have found that grilled meats can sometimes contain cancer-causing substances after cooking. Some may argue that grilling meat gives it great flavor. This taste, though, comes at a price, since the process creates molecules called polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) which damage DNA, and thus increase your chances of developing colon cancer.

But now, in a study published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, researchers said they found a way around the problem. When barbecuing meat, they suggested, you should add beer.

The researchers found that by applying antioxidants to the meat before cooking, they could stop the formation of PAHs and free radicals in the intense heat. Beer is rich in antioxidants, in the shape of melanoidins, which form when barley is roasted.

Additional studies have also cited mixed vegetables and herbs as a helpful factor in helping reduce the formation of carcinogens. One study suggested that beer, wine and tea marinades had all been shown to reduce the levels of some potential carcinogens in cooked meat.

When it comes to marinating your steak: the darker the beer, the better. Unmarinated steaks average 21 nanograms of PAHs per gram of grilled meat. Those marinated in a Pilsner averaged 18 nanograms, but those marinated in dark beers like Guinness or Murphy’s stout averaged only 10 nanograms, keeping the meat tasty and healthy.

To make your steak even healthier and limit the amount of carcinogens that form from grilling, trim the fat and cook it at a temperature below 300°F while continuously flipping it so it doesn’t get too charred in one area.
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/04/09/report-marinating-meat-in-beer-reduces-cancer-risk/

phill4paul
04-12-2014, 12:50 PM
I marinate meat and beer. In me belly!

http://media.heavy.com/media/2013/07/bastard.gif

Zippyjuan
04-13-2014, 12:39 PM
Grilling steak can increase its cancer risk to you.

Origanalist
04-13-2014, 10:22 PM
The State of California has found that making delicious food can cause cancer if eaten in quantities of one thousand pounds or more.

RJB
04-13-2014, 10:24 PM
That's what I was gonna say :) I marinate it in my belly.

James Madison
04-13-2014, 10:25 PM
Apparently, everything reduces cancer. Why does cancer still exist?

Suzanimal
04-13-2014, 10:27 PM
The State of California has found that making delicious food can cause cancer if eaten in quantities of one thousand pounds or more.

I guess I'll have to cut back :( .

belch

Origanalist
04-13-2014, 10:32 PM
I guess I'll have to cut back :( .

belch

Only to less than a thousand pounds per serving. :)

ClydeCoulter
04-13-2014, 10:39 PM
12 oz is great then,BRB

fr33
04-13-2014, 10:47 PM
2 of my favorite things. All my life they've told me that many of my favorite things cause cancer. We'll see about that.

oyarde
04-13-2014, 11:16 PM
I marinated a Turkey breast in beer today and smoked it while I was cutting wood .