PDA

View Full Version : Union Leader: Rand Paul offers his 'libertarian twist' on conservatism

Keith and stuff
04-12-2014, 05:20 AM
Rand Paul offers his 'libertarian twist' on conservatism
April 11. 2014 10:06PM
By SHAWNE K. WICKHAM
New Hampshire Sunday News
http://www.unionleader.com/article/20140412/NEWS0605/140419746

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) meets with New Hampshire Union Leader publisher Joe McQuaid on Friday afternoon at the Union Leader offices in Manchester.

The article is long and positive. Here are the 1st 6 paragraphs.

MANCHESTER — U.S. Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), one of several potential 2016 Republican presidential candidates in town for today's "Freedom Summit" in Manchester, says he would not vote for the Paul Ryan budget plan that passed the House earlier this week.

In an interview with the New Hampshire Union Leader on Friday, Paul also repeated his frequent observation that "the same old cookie-cutter, Chamber of Commerce Republican may not be what we need to win anymore."

And that, he said, "actually encourages people like myself who say, you know what, maybe conservatives need a little bit of a libertarian twist or maybe the Republican party needs a little bit of a libertarian twist to help them have access to new constituencies."

The junior senator from Kentucky sidestepped a question about how his political views differ from those of his father, Ron Paul, the former Presidential candidate who frequently chastised his Republican opponents and became a counter-cultural hero to the college generation.

But Paul said he understands his father's appeal with younger voters.

"I think young people see through hypocrisy," he said. "My dad exemplified and portrayed genuineness — almost to a fault."

torchbearer
04-12-2014, 07:46 AM
very nice.

Quark
04-12-2014, 08:38 AM
"I think young people see through hypocrisy," he said. "My dad exemplified and portrayed genuineness — almost to a fault."

I think this quote verifies just how strategic the Pauls are being. Ron with his continuing push in the liberty movement, as a hero even, is converting people, while Rand is playing the political game. Whether or not it works, I have no idea, but I certainly think it is a good attempt and shot, and regardless of whether or not Rand becomes president, the shock-waves of this attempt will influence the political landscape quite significantly. As this young college-aged base becomes more influential in politics, we'll definitely see these effects. I believe that liberty is becoming popular again, after a 100 year hiatus, and we'll see a societal paradigm shift toward more liberty and lesser government. Possibly the critical element that was missing in prior generations is the internet, and less reliance on television.

Keith and stuff
04-15-2014, 09:04 PM
I think this quote verifies just how strategic the Pauls are being. Ron with his continuing push in the liberty movement, as a hero even, is converting people, while Rand is playing the political game. Whether or not it works, I have no idea, but I certainly think it is a good attempt and shot, and regardless of whether or not Rand becomes president, the shock-waves of this attempt will influence the political landscape quite significantly. As this young college-aged base becomes more influential in politics, we'll definitely see these effects. I believe that liberty is becoming popular again, after a 100 year hiatus, and we'll see a societal paradigm shift toward more liberty and lesser government. Possibly the critical element that was missing in prior generations is the internet, and less reliance on television.

Great, inspirational post. Thanks!