PDA

View Full Version : Take Your Debating Skill to Facebook

rolirn
04-12-2014, 01:53 AM
I think there’s a no-brainer way to speed up the public education of the libertarian message. Facebook started as a social networking site, but is trying to be a political discussion forum. I say “trying” because it is entirely different. The main two differences: people use their real names and know each other. But these differences make for a unique opportunity. These are the social circles that basically remain unexposed to the libertarian message, because people who know each other generally try to walk on eggshells when posting – and nothing of much political importance gets communicated. Friends and relatives like to claim they are “polite” and “positive”, and think disagreeing is rude. But they are easily tempted into political debates, especially when they see their other friends joining in. I know there are many libertarians out there like me who will readily try to deliver that message to their friend group and friends of friends at every opportunity. One of the best FB methods is to wait for a “social networker” (any of the locals/friends who like to claim they avoid intellectual discussions and political topics) to post a cute plaque with a controversial political opinion (most of them can’t help but do it at least occasionally), and then simply post a disagreement. I usually succeed in getting a discussion going but I’m always outnumbered. And that’s the problem. It goes hand-in-hand that those who remain politically programmed are also those who base their beliefs on the ad populum fallacy (they believe it because others believe it [not because of any rational or ethical analysis]). So my theory states that it’s all about peer pressure. All it will take to win this battle is for libertarian loners to get as many VOCAL libertarians (one’s who will readily post defenses of libertarian principles) on their friend list in order to participate in any debates that arise and support them. In my experience in small FB circles, one dissenter is never sufficient no matter how reasonable or logical or factually accurate. Non-libertarians (esp liberals IMO) are notorious for arrogantly denying reasonable arguments from a single person, but will behave much better (usually tuck their tail and run) if there are three or more. All it takes is a couple more people to join in these arguments, and we can get this vital information to small-town folk and rural people everywhere. So start searching out other libertarians on FB, look at some of their past posts to see if you like their style, and send them a friend request. I like to include with that request a short explanation in a PM. Let’s give this a decent try and see how it goes. (Remember to stick to the message, refrain from personal remarks, and don’t mischaracterize things; you are a libertarian and you don’t have to resort to fallacious tactics.) And to all of you libertarians who are already friends with libertarians: When you see them in there getting ganged up on, JUMP IN AND HELP THEM OUT! Often with the opposition, numbers is the only thing that “counts”.