PDA

View Full Version : WashPost: Treasury seizing tax refunds over taxpayer's parent's debts

devil21
04-11-2014, 04:39 PM
This is not a good sign.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/social-security-treasury-target-hundreds-of-thousands-of-taxpayers-for-parents-old-debts/2014/04/10/74ac8eae-bf4d-11e3-bcec-b71ee10e9bc3_story.html

Now, Social Security claims it overpaid someone in the Grice family — it’s not sure who — in 1977. After 37 years of silence, four years after Sadie Grice died, the government is coming after her daughter. Why the feds chose to take Mary’s money, rather than her surviving siblings’, is a mystery.

Across the nation, hundreds of thousands of taxpayers who are expecting refunds this month are instead getting letters like the one Grice got, informing them that because of a debt they never knew about — often a debt incurred by their parents — the government has confiscated their check.

more at link

-----------
Also from article:

The aggressive effort to collect old debts started three years ago — the result of a single sentence tucked into the farm bill lifting the 10-year statute of limitations on old debts to Uncle Sam.

Changing the rules in the middle of the game by retroactively making debts previously uncollectable due to SOL fair game again.

tod evans
04-11-2014, 04:43 PM
Interesting..........1977 eh?

I was in the USN in '77, Elvis died that year...

Gotta wonder who at the IRS has gone back through the paper records with a fine enough comb to discover a discrepancy?

Not even addressing the issue of holding the child accountable for the parents...

anaconda
04-11-2014, 05:05 PM

Gotta wonder who at the IRS has gone back through the paper records with a fine enough comb to discover a discrepancy?

Not even addressing the issue of holding the child accountable for the parents...

I thought even the IRS observed a statute of limitations. I thought it was, like, 10 years or something.

tod evans
04-11-2014, 05:07 PM
I thought even the IRS observed a statute of limitations. I thought it was, like, 10 years or something.

I wouldn't have any idea...

However the sitting AG does whateverinthehell he wants....

dannno
04-11-2014, 05:09 PM

You can read in the OP that The Farm Bill changed the statute of limitations, duh, it's called "The Farm Bill" you should know that it changed the statute of limitations on how far back the government can collect debt.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
04-11-2014, 05:12 PM
The rules only apply to the maggot public. The government follows their own brand of anarchy.

The irony gets thicker each year.

Warrior_of_Freedom
04-11-2014, 05:17 PM
someone pissed that IRS agent off. I don't see how they even have the manpower to investigate everything occurring in the present, let alone decades ago.

angelatc
04-11-2014, 05:22 PM
Grice found a lawyer willing to take her case without charge. Vogel is exercised about the constitutional violations he sees in the retroactive lifting of the 10-year limit on debt collection. “Can the government really bring back to life a case that was long dead?” the lawyer asked. “Can it really be right to seize a child’s money to satisfy a parent’s debt?”

Good!

In Glenarm, Ill., Brenda and Mike Samonds have spent the past year trying to figure out how to get back the $189.10 tax refund the government seized, claiming that Mike’s mother, who died 33 years ago, had been overpaid on survivor’s benefits after Mike’s father died in 1969.

Unfreaking real.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
04-11-2014, 05:26 PM
Just another reason why you should never let the government hold your money and issue it back to you in the form a "tax refund." Another reason I always use a credit card and won't use a debit card.

Never let a fucking cocksucker hold your money.

MelissaWV
04-11-2014, 05:27 PM
someone pissed that IRS agent off. I don't see how they even have the manpower to investigate everything occurring in the present, let alone decades ago.

If I were doing this at work, I would loosely follow this process:

* Run a report for all write-offs within a given range. Let's say write-offs of over $1000.
* Print that report, including the account's name, SSN, DOB, and any reason code as to why it was written off.
* Run a pretty easy cross-reference report looking for names and SSNs of people associated with the aforementioned debt (someone who filled out a form for mom, or was power of attorney, or was listed as a point of contact, etc.)

Now you have a smaller subset which compares against every incoming refund request automatically. With the appropriate databases, and even with Government workers, this would not take long to set up and no one is about to verify the veracity of these claims. They were likely smaller debts written off years ago due to the person dying or statute of limitations, but now they are back in play.

The takeaway from all of this? If you're filing/paying taxes, at the very least do not end up with a refund. You have to ask for that money back, and if there is any fine, loan, or other debt that they can associate with you, you're not getting it back.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
04-11-2014, 05:28 PM
someone pissed that IRS agent off.

Probably. Either that, or some bureaucrat prick starting a concerted effort to get another feather in his cap.

euphemia
04-11-2014, 05:33 PM
i don't see why a private citizen has to pay for a bookkeeping error by the federal government on someone else's account. That's just dumb. Pay it backwards is their rule, I guess.

satchelmcqueen
04-11-2014, 05:39 PM
fucking bullshit

NorthCarolinaLiberty
04-11-2014, 06:15 PM
I'd say expect a whole lot more of this as our country continues its 50+ year decline. The government and it's supporting minions can no longer even present an argument as to why this is justified. The government itself has degenerated into its own brand of anarchy.

The money is gone and they are coming for yours. Don't give it up and they will come for you. There is really only one inevitable solution when all form and reason go out the window.

Anti Federalist
04-11-2014, 11:49 PM
This.

We are all...(insert martyr's name here)

I'd say expect a whole lot more of this as our country continues its 50+ year decline. The government and it's supporting minions can no longer even present an argument as to why this is justified. The government itself has degenerated into its own brand of anarchy.

The money is gone and they are coming for yours. Don't give it up and they will come for you. There is really only one inevitable solution when all form and reason go out the window.

oyarde
04-12-2014, 12:22 AM

Parents did not owe , they( govt) issued to the dead . That is the responsibility of the thief govt, not someone else who is stolen from , unless there is legitimate fraud , which there is not , or they would be charged . It is just stealing . This cannot be tolerated by those who have been stolen from . They must act .Tolerance will encourage more thieving , lowlife aggression from these lowlifes , they must be stomped :)

oyarde
04-12-2014, 12:26 AM

Yes , Elvis is dead , but the evil , vampire , godless , govt is larger, it has no limit to blood lust , greed .....

devil21
04-12-2014, 01:28 AM
Those huge unfunded liabilities we've been talking about? They're starting to become funded....some by losing refunds and others by losing cattle and land.

oyarde
04-12-2014, 01:41 AM
Those huge unfunded liabilities we've been talking about? They're starting to become funded....some by losing refunds and others by losing cattle and land.

Oh , yes , they are on the game now to be sure , and it will only increase.

jbauer
04-12-2014, 07:21 AM
I'm lost. It was their parents debt. If the estate was closed and assuming their estate went through probate there should be nothing that could be done. This is flat out theft. There is no better term for it. Theft.

mad cow
04-12-2014, 08:21 AM
No Bill of Attainder or ex post facto Law shall be passed.

Article one,Section nine,Clause three.

Children are not guilty of the 'crimes' of their parents.It is scary to think that the Federal Government thinks otherwise in the 21st century.

phill4paul
04-12-2014, 08:46 AM
I'm lost. It was their parents debt. If the estate was closed and assuming their estate went through probate there should be nothing that could be done. This is flat out theft. There is no better term for it. Theft.

That is what the income tax is to begin with. Who here should be surprised that they will make monies "owed" generational?

greyseal
04-12-2014, 11:38 AM
The cited authority
[110th Congress Public Law 246]
[From the U.S. Government Printing Office]

[DOCID: f:publ246.110]

[[Page 122 STAT. 1651]]

Public Law 110-246
110th Congress
An Act

To provide for the continuation of agricultural and other programs of
the Department of Agriculture through fiscal year 2012, and for other
purposes. <<NOTE: June 18, 2008 - [H.R. 6124]>>

PARALLEL TABLE OF AUTHORITIES AND RULES
The portion of the table listing the United States Code citations is the most
comprehensive, as these citations are entered into the table whenever they are
given in the authority citations provided by the agencies.

110–246 ........................7 Parts 1421, 1427, 1434
19 Part 12

The entity intercepting the Tax refunds is the chartered Commodity Credit Corporation (CCC) AKA, The Department of Agriculture, The Department of Defense, The Department of Education, The Department of Interior, The Department of Labor, BLM. Health and Human Services. The ATF, or THE DEFACTO GOVERNMENT

1. 7 CFR 1403.7 - Collection by administrative offset. | LII ...
www.law.cornell.edu › ... › Part 1403‎
o Cached
o Share

Legal Information Institute Commodity Credit Corporation
Jan 1, 2013 - 7 CFR 1403.7 - Collection by administrative offset. ... which shall be made in accordance with regulations at part 3 of this title;. (2) CCC requests for administrative offset against a Federal income tax refund payable to a debtor .... loan made in accordance with parts 1421, 1427, 1434, or 1435 of this chapter, ...

devil21
04-12-2014, 02:56 PM
Nice find^^^^^

CCC info
http://www.fsa.usda.gov/FSA/webapp?area=about&subject=landing&topic=sao-cc

angelatc
04-12-2014, 03:02 PM
Article one,Section nine,Clause three.

Children are not guilty of the 'crimes' of their parents.It is scary to think that the Federal Government thinks otherwise in the 21st century.

So they doubled down on it by passing an ex post facto Bill of Attainder. Sweet!