PDA

View Full Version : IRS demanding contributor info from Campaign for Liberty?

devil21
04-10-2014, 02:54 PM
I wasn't sure where to post this. Here's part of the email received. I can post the whole thing (it's long) if needed.

This is one of the toughest letters I’ve ever had to send.

For years, people have joked that the three most feared letters in the English language may well be these . . .

I – R – S.

But today, I’m not laughing.

Just days ago, the IRS handed Campaign for Liberty a hefty fine and DEMANDED we turn over sensitive contributor information.

If we don’t comply with the IRS’ outrageous demand for sensitive donor information, I’m afraid we’ll face additional fines that could cripple Campaign for Liberty and perhaps even force us to shut our doors.

Is this just a fundraising ploy or is the IRS really going after C4L? Anybody know the scoop?

devil21
04-10-2014, 02:57 PM
Here's another part of the email with strange donation request numbers. What's goin on?

Any potential legal fight is going to take money - money Campaign for Liberty does not have lying around.

So I must ask you to be as generous as you possibly can.

I must ask you to please agree to an emergency gift of $0.

I know that’s a lot. (d21: yeah it is but if you insist, I think I can scrounge up $0....incoming now).

But this is the IRS we’re talking about. This is not a game.

As I mentioned, this is one of the hardest letters I’ve ever had to send.

I have to ask all Campaign for Liberty supporters to go above and beyond what they’ve done in the past.

But if $0 is just too much, won’t you please agree to $0 or at least $179.98?

Dr.3D
04-10-2014, 03:08 PM
Wouldn't they put something about this on their web site?

mad cow
04-10-2014, 03:22 PM
Email or internet hiccup?This is from the email I got:

Any potential legal fight is going to take money - money Campaign for Liberty does not have lying around.

I must ask you to please agree to an emergency gift of $30.

I know that’s a lot.

I have to ask all Campaign for Liberty supporters to go above and beyond what they’ve done in the past.

But if $30 is just too much, won’t you please agree to $20 or at least $10?

frodus24
04-10-2014, 03:27 PM
This is one of the toughest letters I’ve ever had to send.

For years, people have joked that the three most feared letters in the English language may well be these . . .

I – R – S.

But today, I’m not laughing.

Just days ago, the IRS handed Campaign for Liberty a hefty fine and DEMANDED we turn over sensitive contributor information.

If we don’t comply with the IRS’ outrageous demand for sensitive donor information, I’m afraid we’ll face additional fines that could cripple Campaign for Liberty and perhaps even force us to shut our doors.

But, Randall, I’m not naïve. I know where this is headed.

The statists at the IRS know I’ll NEVER EVER turn over confidential information about Campaign for Liberty’s donors without a fight.

Instead, this is likely just the first in a long line of UNCONSTITUTIONAL and likely ILLEGAL “excuses” this rogue government agency will use to try to shut us up and shut us down by FINING us to death.

So I have a decision to make - a critical decision that could affect Campaign for Liberty’s very survival in the months ahead.

Do I fight on? Do I risk everything? Do I tell the statist IRS to go fly a kite?

Or should Campaign for Liberty just pay up, keep our head down, and hope this never happens again?

Randall, I need you to tell me what to do today.

In just a second, I’m going to give you a link to a Campaign for Liberty Supporter Ballot.

As you’ll see, there will only be two choices on the form - the only two choices I’m faced with today.

But before you decide, please let me explain everything that’s at stake . . .

As I mentioned, what the IRS wants is contributor information on Campaign for Liberty’s top donors, pointing to a rarely enforced and unconstitutional bureaucratic rule.

You see, as a 501(c)(4) organization under IRS law, all Campaign for Liberty contributor information is supposed to be confidential.

This is a critical protection I wholeheartedly support.

Privacy and liberty go hand-in-hand.

In fact, when Thomas Paine published his pamphlet Common Sense in 1776, he did so anonymously.

Forcing organizations like Campaign for Liberty to publicize donor information would have an incredibly chilling effect on political speech.

Many liberty-loving Americans would silence themselves for fear of becoming targets of political “retribution.”

And after the Obama IRS was caught red-handed targeting pro-limited government groups for harassment and intimidation, these fears could not be more well-founded.

So there’s no way I would ever just hand this kind of information over to these government bureaucrats. That’s not an option.

So when we filed annual reports with the IRS as required by law, we left this information off.

The IRS now claims that’s the reason we’re being fined!

But the truth is, years ago, after the NAACP complied with IRS demands and promptly saw their donor information publicized, the IRS has only occasionally sought to “enforce” their ridiculous rule.

Randall, the real reason they’re coming after Campaign for Liberty I’m afraid is something far more sinister.

After all, there’s no denying our Liberty Movement is growing.

Only a few years ago, you and I were barely a “blip” on the political screen.

But there’s no denying things have changed, when you consider:

*** Today, we see a growing crop of new Liberty Movement supporters like Rand Paul (R-KY), Mike Lee (R-UT), and Ted Cruz (R-TX) in the U.S. Senate;

*** In the U.S. House, there’s Congressmen Justin Amash (R-MI) and Thomas Massie (R-KY).

*** My son, Senator Rand Paul (R-KY), is now considered a frontrunner for President in 2016!

*** Audit the Fed is now a top issue in American politics;

*** The bipartisan National Internet Tax Mandate and the National ID database scheme were supposed to sail through Congress, but you and I have so far held them both off;

*** More and more Americans now oppose radical federal government spying programs and - as we saw with Syria - are more skeptical than ever of foreign military adventurism.

Liberty-minded Americans’ efforts are at the heart of all this success.

I’m convinced these are just the beginning stages of a massive nationwide R3VOLUTION that can usher in a new era of liberty and limited government in America.

Randall, that’s why we’re being targeted.

That’s why the statists in BOTH parties want so much to shut us up and shut us down.

I’m afraid, without your support today, they could very well get their wish.

I have no doubt if these ridiculous demands made it to court, Campaign for Liberty would win, hands down.

But I’m afraid that’s not what this is about.

Campaign for Liberty is run on a shoestring budget. We don’t have millions lying around in the bank.

This is about draining us.

This is about forcing me to take resources off of other critical programs just to keep our doors open.

That’s why I want so badly to just say “NO!”

But without an IMMEDIATE influx of funds, I’m afraid we’ll be sitting ducks.

I just won’t be able to pay for everything . . .

But the alternative could be worse.

Paying this outrageous extortionist fine - just to exercise our rights as American citizens to petition our government - may even be cheaper in the short run.

But it’ll just embolden an alphabet soup of other federal agencies to come after us.

Randall, this is the price you pay for daring to stand up to a federal government that wants to keep taxing, spending, and printing every American into the poorhouse.

So what do I do?

Won’t you please fill out your Campaign for Liberty Supporter Ballot right away?

bw68
04-10-2014, 05:03 PM
This was mine. Seemed a little excessive. I don't make that kind of money.

I must ask you to please agree to an emergency gift of $750.

I know that’s a lot.

But if $750 is just too much, won’t you please agree to $500 or at least $250?

devil21
04-10-2014, 05:40 PM
Odd that we're getting different donation numbers. But does anyone have independent confirmation other than this email that C4L is under attack by the IRS?

qh4dotcom
04-10-2014, 05:45 PM
Campaign for Liberty is run on a shoestring budget. We don’t have millions lying around in the bank.

a post from someone at the DailyPaul

Gag me. All it is with them is money, money, money, money, money. More money!

I quit paying attention to them a long time ago.

It is really sad for me to see Ron Paul's name attached to a letter like that.

Shoestring budget? In 2010 they hauled in $5 million:
http://projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/organizations/262730467

Where did that money go?

angelatc
04-10-2014, 05:54 PM
Odd that we're getting different donation numbers. But does anyone have independent confirmation other than this email that C4L is under attack by the IRS?

I would like to see the letter from IRS, that's for sure.

Shoestring budget? In 2010 they hauled in $5 million:
http://projects.propublica.org/nonpr...ions/262730467

In all fairness that was 3 years ago.

enoch150
04-10-2014, 06:04 PM
How did you guys get off so easy? Here's what C4L asked me for:

And if you possibly can, please agree to your most generous gift of $1,178.25, $785.5, or at least $392.75 to help us be ready to fight back TODAY!

qh4dotcom
04-10-2014, 06:08 PM
Bump

enoch150
04-10-2014, 06:09 PM
I would like to see the letter from IRS, that's for sure.

In all fairness that was 3 years ago.

The most recent number I could find is from 2012. I posted all of their revenue that I could find in this thread: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?443858-C4L-revenue-membership-leadership-and-accomplishments

devil21
04-10-2014, 06:25 PM
My guess is that the dollar figures are based on previous donations to C4L/associated orgs/campaigns. The email list bot is cross-referencing from some database of this donation info to customize the donation request. The bot and/or database is broken, resulting in bizarre amounts. It's the only thing that makes any sense.

It was the IRS part that Im interested in though. Not that I want C4L harassed by the IRS but I'll be disappointed if someone is sending out bs just to raise a few bucks at C4L.

LibertyEagle
04-10-2014, 06:36 PM
Guys, Ron Paul is very much at the helm of C4L. Things like this don't get sent out without him approving.

I'll see if I can find a number for someone I know in C4L and find out more about this email.

PierzStyx
04-10-2014, 06:55 PM
a post from someone at the DailyPaul

n 2010 they hauled in $5 million
Where did that money go?

$5 million dollars goes pretty fast these days.

tmg19103
04-10-2014, 07:43 PM
So they say the IRS wants their donor list. OK, why then should anyone who has not donated before ever donate to them? Sorry, but smells like a scam. I have been around a while in the liberty movement and C4L never did it for me. I still prefer real grassroots. Hopefully we will see a return with a Rand run where we can do our own thing - and no doubt butt heads with the campaign, but that is part of the fun ;-)

Matt Collins
04-10-2014, 11:18 PM
My guess is that the dollar figures are based on previous donations to C4L/associated orgs/campaigns. The email list bot is cross-referencing from some database of this donation info to customize the donation request. The bot and/or database is broken, resulting in bizarre amounts. It's the only thing that makes any sense.
Bingo

Lord Xar
04-11-2014, 12:06 AM
More IRS targeting....

hotbrownsauce
04-11-2014, 01:05 AM
Thanks for the heads up!! Just donated $$$

I don't post much(if anything) any more but I do read the daily RSS feeds for constant updates from many places, including here!!! This was listed in the RSS feed. Just wanted you ppl to know you still have a lot of us lurkers around ;).

Have a wonderful day! =)

jtap
04-11-2014, 06:36 AM
Seems like a waste of money to pay the "extortionist fine" to the IRS.

I would think a savvy business person could find their way around it; maybe close up shop and then open Campaign for Liberty 2014 and keep doing the same thing each year.

This is what government does and we all hate, they siphon off huge percentages of each dollar given and it goes to all sorts of waste or lines peoples' pockets. If they are going to break C4L and essentially make it like the wasteful government then it's broken and useless. It's quite a sad story on the state of things and how much control the government has. My opinion would be that money given directly to liberty politicians would be better spent than sent to C4L if the government was now getting xx% of each dollar.

Thor
04-11-2014, 08:31 AM
"The IRS is asking for a list of contributors. .... Will you please contribute?" LOL!

When will we collectively just say no?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6b70TUbdfs

fr33
04-11-2014, 04:51 PM
Does anybody that is knowledgeable enough about 501(c) groups and the IRS know what they are talking about in these emails and if it's likely true?

I'm definitely not knowledgeable enough but the emails read like a creative fundraiser. Kind of like how they claimed that "Ron Paul has been silenced until today!" a little while back.

angelatc
04-11-2014, 05:02 PM
More IRS targeting....

I am not a fan of the C4L but I think you might be right. Last month Tate submitted comments about a proposed IRS rule that would prohibit these non-profits from putting their positions out during a 30 day window prior to an election.

Citizen's United taught them nothing.

CrissyNY
04-11-2014, 08:58 PM

I must ask you to please agree to an emergency gift of $4299.96.

I know that’s a lot.

ya, no kidding!

weird email...

fr33
04-11-2014, 11:48 PM
Here's why I'm skeptical:

They chose to send us these emails over 12 hours ago. But there have been no press releases, nothing on Ron Paul Institute's website, nothing on Ron Paul Channel, and even more important: nothing on Campaign for Liberty's website about it.

They want us to believe they need our money to fight it but aren't even drawing greater attention to it.

devil21
04-12-2014, 01:22 AM
What if database corruption is the counter to the IRS request? hmmmm

Matt Collins
04-12-2014, 01:37 AM
Does anybody that is knowledgeable enough about 501(c) groups and the IRS know what they are talking about in these emails and if it's likely true?

I'm definitely not knowledgeable enough but the emails read like a creative fundraiser. Kind of like how they claimed that "Ron Paul has been silenced until today!" a little while back.

501c4 groups are the bane of politicians because they are not legally required for disclose their donors. And the reality is that if you are going to engage in the political arena on issues, you almost have to be a 501c4 because that is the little categorical box that the IRS has created for us.