PDA

View Full Version : GOP congressman: Empower states to legalize marijuana

TaftFan
04-09-2014, 06:57 PM
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/apr/8/gop-congressman-empower-states-to-legalize-marijua/?page=1

Mr. Rohrabacher insists he has not touched marijuana since he was 23 and says he isn’t advocating its use.

But he said the federal government should not be in the business of deciding the issue and that the argument should be a central part of a broader Republican push to empower states, with an agenda that also includes scrapping the Department of Education.

“I think we ought to look for a presidential candidate who will make that part of his message,” the 13-term California Republican said. “Just transfer it all to the states. Now this government would have nothing to do with education, and how about, from now on, drug laws are considered criminal matters, which is what our Founding Fathers had in mind, and that is up to the states.”

He said it’s an issue his former boss, President Reagan, would have embraced.

“In about half of Ronald Reagan’s speeches, look real close and you see him saying, ‘Our goal is not to put people in jail’ — and I wonder who worked with him on the speech?” he said, alluding to his role as speechwriter in the Reagan administration.

“Reagan did not want to put people in jail,” he said. “He did not want to militarize our county in order to stop people from smoking weed.

“He oversaw the greatest reduction in the use of illegal drugs than any other time period, and it had nothing to do with enforcement. It had everything to do with ‘Just Say No,’” he said, alluding to the 1980s ad campaign that was part of the “war on drugs.” “It was cultural messaging. That is what made the difference.”

Mr. Rohrabacher made the comments as the Republican Party and the country as a whole shift stances on legalization.

phill4paul
04-09-2014, 07:00 PM
Can you give at least a few choice paragraphs to wet the whistle? Or are you gonna be a Collinz?

TaftFan
04-09-2014, 07:18 PM
Can you give at least a few choice paragraphs to wet the whistle? Or are you gonna be a Collinz?

I actually posted the wrong title. I meant to post the article on marijuana. If a mod could replace the title that would be great.

Alright. I don't really understand why people need paragraphs, but sure.

ClydeCoulter
04-09-2014, 07:24 PM
Here's the video that does go with your title :)

GOP Lawmaker Suggests Eric Holder Should ‘Be In Jail’ — to His Face!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDCy3avZA4I

kcchiefs6465
04-09-2014, 07:28 PM
“Reagan did not want to put people in jail,” he said. “He did not want to militarize our county in order to stop people from smoking weed."

This is a load o' bullshit.

invisible
04-10-2014, 01:00 AM
This is a load o' bullshit.

Bigtime! The 1980's were when incarceration rates as a percentage of population went through the roof, as well as the percentages of incarceration and arrests that were for drug offenses. Perhaps AF or Pete have the statistics and graphs handy?

compromise
04-10-2014, 03:56 AM
Rohrabacher used to be a full libertarian. We need more liberty minded Congressmen like him. That's why we need to elect candidates like Igor Birman.

cindy25
04-10-2014, 06:07 AM
not jail. but disbarment would be fine

kcchiefs6465
04-10-2014, 09:47 AM
not jail. but disbarment would be fine
Eric Holder should be tried as a war criminal for the deliberate assassination of a 16 year old child, Abdulrahman Al-Awlaki.

He authorized, alongside Barack Obama, the drone strike that killed the son, two weeks after the father was executed (of which Holder should be indicted for as well for violating the man's rights. To wit, The Fifth, Sixth, and Seventh Amendments, as well as the most precious right of all, the right to your life). With regards to Abdulrahman Al-Awlaki, a family barbecue was incinerated murdering several children. They identified Abdulrahman by the half of his skull that was found. The other children weren't as lucky. And after all this, the shredded flesh and limbs were buried in a mass grave. To attempt to separate the children would be futile.

This even ignores his selective prosecutions of corporate banks, which should be investigated and if impropriety was found, which if they looked, they'd find it, he should be indicted.

Now we can have a debate on whether or not if convicted he should serve the sentence here, or in Pakistan, Yemen, or Somalia as a token of good will, but the man most certainly deserves a prison cell.

acptulsa
04-10-2014, 10:38 AM
Bigtime! The 1980's were when incarceration rates as a percentage of population went through the roof, as well as the percentages of incarceration and arrests that were for drug offenses. Perhaps AF or Pete have the statistics and graphs handy?

He wasn't actually that bad, though the way he talked we all assumed he would be. He was no worse than Nixon. As bad but didn't escalate the war un us the way Nixon did.

It was actually Mr. 'Yeah but I didn't inhale' Slick Willie Clinton who went nuts on us for the benefit of Big Pharma.

http://blog.norml.org/2010/09/15/incarceration-nation-marijuana-arrests-for-year-2009-near-record-high/

Pericles
04-10-2014, 11:36 AM
Farenthold = TX 27th District

jct74
04-10-2014, 12:36 PM
I actually posted the wrong title. I meant to post the article on marijuana. If a mod could replace the title that would be great.

I changed it, but fyi you can change your own title up to an hour after creating a thread by going to Edit Post --> Go Advanced which gives you access to the title field.

After an hour is expired used the Report Post button to request a title change.

Alright. I don't really understand why people need paragraphs, but sure.

it helps people get a summary of the story and decide if they want to click the link to read the whole article, which is especially helpful for people with dinosaur computers or slow internet connections like me.

it also is helpful for search purposes, it sort of tags the thread with a bunch of words relevant to the story, making it easier to find for people performing a search.