PDA

View Full Version : LA Police Officers Suspected of Tampering With Their Monitoring Systems

DamianTV
04-09-2014, 02:09 PM
http://yro.slashdot.org/story/14/04/09/1545251/la-police-officers-suspected-of-tampering-with-their-monitoring-systems

"An internal audit conducted by the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) in March revealed that 'dozens of the [voice] transmitters worn by officers in Southeast Division were missing or damaged.' In the summer of 2013, this same division was found to have mysteriously lost 45% of the antennae placed on their cars to pick up the signals sent by their voice transmitters. The Southeast Division of the LAPD covers an area that has 'historically been marred by mistrust and claims of officer abuse.' For decades, the LAPD had been closely monitored by the U.S. Department of Justice, but a federal judge in 2013 decided to end that practice after being assured by the LAPD and city officials that the LAPD sufficiently monitors itself via dash-cams and voice transmitters. A formal investigation is currently being conducted to determine whether or not police officers intentionally subverted mandatory efforts to monitor and record their patrols."

*gasp* No, I dont believe it! Its okay for them to have unlimited surveillance on us, but dont want any surveillance on themselves? It couldnt possibly ever ever not in a million years be true! Its like they must plan on doing something wrong to not want to be surveilled constantly so they must all be criminals.

/total sarcasm

Now, if they really dont have any intention of doing anything wrong, maybe they understand our point of view slightly? Its not about Right or Wrong, it is about total surveillance allows the surveiller the ability to dig deep enough to find something wrong because all people will have a difference of opinion on some subject. Thus, if they dont think they are all criminals with something to hide, maybe they need to learn that we arent all criminals either.

tod evans
04-09-2014, 02:10 PM
*gasp* No, I dont believe it!

Beat me to it...:o

acptulsa
04-09-2014, 02:23 PM
I believe most cops understand, if only on a subconscious level, that many of the laws are bull and that they're working for jackasses. The good cops are bound and determined to do some good anyway, in spite of the system. The bad ones figure if we're going to slide into tyranny it's good to have some authoritah. After all, in Animal Farm the dogs got to live in the house with the pigs; they didn't have to live in the unheated barn. And there are 'shades of gray' cops, who tell themselves they're in a position to do good, and maybe they do once in a while, when they aren't scared to 'rock the boat'.

But, yeah, sucks to be spit on for being part of the tyranny and be subject to the tyranny at the same time. Maybe they'll quit. How good would it be to have cops saying, 'Give us a sane body of law to enforce and we'll sign up to enforce it'?

Danke
04-09-2014, 02:25 PM
Understandable. I don't want my conversations monitored at work.

tod evans
04-09-2014, 02:29 PM
Maybe they'll quit. How good would it be to have cops saying, 'Give us a sane body of law to enforce and we'll sign up to enforce it'?

Ethical whores?

I don't think so.

There's some type of moral dilemma that must take place in ones psyche in order to contemplate a LEO career in the first place, and once they've gone through the indoctrination process it's probably 1/10 of 1% who retain any semblance of morality...

acptulsa
04-09-2014, 02:42 PM
Ethical whores?

I don't think so.

There's some type of moral dilemma that must take place in ones psyche in order to contemplate a LEO career in the first place, and once they've gone through the indoctrination process it's probably 1/10 of 1% who retain any semblance of morality...

Well, yes, I admit that it takes a 'special' kind of thought process to convince yourself that you need 'for the public good' to do a hundred miles an hour so you can write a better driver than you, in a better car than your cruiser, a ticket for doing 75.

But I think 0.1% having 'any semblance' of morality might be a slight overstatement. At least I hope so.

In any case, the more the powers that be treat their pet attack dogs as miserably as they treat us, the better. Sort of like when the NSA spies on Dianne Feinstein. The smaller the 'privileged class' makes itself, the sooner we get disgusted and make the 'privileged class' extinct.