PDA

View Full Version : What's your 20 on this?

Unregistered
04-08-2014, 09:50 PM
I guess an 11 year old or so girl is better at basketball than most boys her age and has earned a place on the local team. Of course this "local team" is made up of boys. (she plays #1) but they are gonna BAN her from some tournament. She is one of the highest scorers every game. I guess the family has gotten a lawyer, but the attorney reps for the tourney are arguing "what is to keep an 11 Y.O boy from playing on a girls team? I see both sides. What say Y'all?
I'm sure a "link" will come out shortly, but I can't find one just yet. Regardless of "where" this occurred, what say Ya'll?

Natural Citizen
04-08-2014, 09:59 PM
If she's on the roster then they cannot easily ban her. She's already insured on the team. The only thing a tournament director can do is disqualify the team. But for what? Because it has a girl on it? Phht.

Origanalist
04-08-2014, 09:59 PM
I wouldn't call it earth shattering. She may as well get used to it. If it's a "boys" team why is she on it? I coached my girls at b-ball at that age and they were probably as good or better than most boys, I don't really know because they never had direct competition with them. But what's the point? In a year or two they no longer will be physically able to compete with them anyway.

oyarde
04-08-2014, 10:48 PM
I guess an 11 year old or so girl is better at basketball than most boys her age and has earned a place on the local team. Of course this "local team" is made up of boys. (she plays #1) but they are gonna BAN her from some tournament. She is one of the highest scorers every game. I guess the family has gotten a lawyer, but the attorney reps for the tourney are arguing "what is to keep an 11 Y.O boy from playing on a girls team? I see both sides. What say Y'all?
I'm sure a "link" will come out shortly, but I can't find one just yet. Regardless of "where" this occurred, what say Ya'll?
In the Fifth and sixth grade . I played a girl , maybe couple years older than me , a quick one on one game about every day . None of the other guys would play her and we were city Champs . She was All State her last three years in High School , set a school scoring record. She probably beet me 60 % of the time in grade school . I thought I was doing good when I got in the top ten Cross Country school records for Sophmores :) , LOL. If a girls team is offered , the girls should play on the girls team . Best for them anyway . If they are above avg , they can get a scholarship , easily . I was not an above avg basketball player , good passer , ball handler , quick enough to beat most guys for a layup and had a great jumpshot anywhere but dead on and the baseline. played pretty good D , but everyone was taller. It was my weakest sport along with baseball . just loved to play , both . She should play with the girls . I was mostly a Football and Soccer guy who could run a competitive 100 , 110 Hurdles , 800 , mile , 2 mile and 5 K. It is all a good experience for young people . Until you start working , unless you are fortunate enough to grow up on a family farm or in a family business , it will be your first teamwork experience .

heavenlyboy34
04-08-2014, 11:00 PM
The decision is up to whoever sets the rules for the league. On paper and in principle, there's no reason a girl at that age couldn't play with boys. The practice of it will be more complicated. I would expect sexual harassment regularly from other teams and perhaps her own team. (some kids hit puberty at that age and all) This is one of those things that really has to be settled by the people involved, IMO.

heavenlyboy34
04-08-2014, 11:02 PM
In the Fifth and sixth grade . I played a girl , maybe couple years older than me , a quick one on one game about every day . None of the other guys would play her and we were city Champs . She was All State her last three years in High School , set a school scoring record. She probably beet me 60 % of the time in grade school . I thought I was doing good when I got in the top ten Cross Country school records for Sophmores :) , LOL. If a girls team is offered , the girls should play on the girls team . Best for them anyway . If they are above avg , they can get a scholarship , easily . I was not an above avg basketball player , good passer , ball handler , quick enough to beat most guys for a layup and had a great jumpshot anywhere but dead on and the baseline. played pretty good D , but everyone was taller. It was my weakest sport along with baseball . just loved to play , both . She should play with the girls . I was mostly a Football and Soccer guy who could run a competitive 100 , 110 Hurdles , 800 , mile , 2 mile and 5 K. It is all a good experience for young people . Until you start working , unless you are fortunate enough to grow up on a family farm or in a family business , it will be your first teamwork experience .
You probably would've done well in judo with your indian blood, uncle oyarde. Too bad it isn't offered at many high schools. :(

Natural Citizen
04-08-2014, 11:08 PM
The op isn't talking about a school team. By local they are either a travel team or a rec team. That said, she cannot be banne once she's on the roster.

DamianTV
04-09-2014, 06:11 AM
I think Teams work best when they form themselves naturally.

I think it would be best to leave it up to that team, not their parents or school or opposing teams, but the team itself to decide if she should be on the team or not. The rules in competitive sports arent really similar to concepts of Constitution and Rights so Im a little out of my comfort zone since many are arbitrary applications of situations.

Origanalist
04-09-2014, 06:25 AM
If she already played through the season with the team as it sounds like she did, it's pretty lame to try to ban her for the tournament. Our kids had boys teams and girls teams by that age but at the younger ages there were a lot of mixed teams.

Maybe she's so good the opposing parents don't want to be embarrassed. :D

oyarde
04-09-2014, 09:39 AM
If she already played through the season with the team as it sounds like she did, it's pretty lame to try to ban her for the tournament. Our kids had boys teams and girls teams by that age but at the younger ages there were a lot of mixed teams.

Yeah , in that case , let her play.

Unregistered
04-09-2014, 05:27 PM

Yes, I think that is exactly it, and not only the parents, but the boys she will score on, lol.

Also, my thoughts in competitive sports go towards skill rather than gender. Why make the poor girl play with the weaker players simply b/c she is a female? If she can hang with the usually better gender, and in this case, play even better than the stronger gender, why try to make it "equal"? IMO, "equality" in that sense isn't "equality" at all, it is making her play at a lower level.

I think it would be best to leave it up to that team, not their parents or school or opposing teams, but the team itself to decide if she should be on the team or not.

I agree, but it is a tournament that the team has been invited to, but they told them that she specifically could not play in the tournament.
I do hope that not only her parents will fight for her, but her team as well. I think it would be a great show of support. I hate the overly litigious society we live in, but in this case, I think it would be well worth it.

The op isn't talking about a school team. By local they are either a travel team or a rec team. That said, she cannot be banne once she's on the roster.
Correct, these kids are too young to play JV and typically, that is when school teams begin. It all may change by the time they get in to middle school and HS, but at that age, I see no reason to keep a perfectly good athlete from playing at their skill level.

She is on the team roster, they aren't the ones banning her, but rather the tournament that is banning her from playing.