PDA

View Full Version : Ohio teen faces felony when car searched at school, pocketknife discovered

Anti Federalist
04-08-2014, 07:44 PM
Ohio teen faces felony when car searched at school, pocketknife discovered

http://www.policestateusa.com/2014/jordan-wiser-ohio/

JEFFERSON, OH — A young man’s future may potentially be shattered after he was charged with the victimless act of keeping a pocketknife in his vehicle while at school. So far he’s been kicked out of school, spent 13 days in jail, been given a psych evaluation, and tracked with an electronic ankle bracelet. A felony conviction could cause him to spend up to a year behind bars, and derail all of his career aspirations in public service.

Jordan Wiser, 18, wanted to work for the government his whole life. He worked as a volunteer fireman and EMT, and was enrolled in classes to further that path. He had already joined the Army with a scheduled start date in August. Some day he intended to become a police officer. He says that he’s been in the public service field since he was 14-years-old.

(Maybe now you'll re-think that idea there, Jordan. - AF)

All of that was jeopardized on December 12th, 2013, when he got caught up by a draconian zero-tolerance weapons policy at his school. One day at school he was aggressively confronted about possessing weapons.

Searched at School

“The principal said he had reason to believe I had weapons in my vehicle and needed to search it,” Wiser said. “He made me empty out all my pockets, and the vice principal grabbed me and patted me down very forcibly. It was somewhat awkward. Then they took my car keys. I told them what was in my car and said, ‘Don’t be alarmed.’”

Mr. Wiser believes he was singled out after an unknown person circulated a photograph as a malicious prank. It was Wiser’s image next to Seung-Hui Cho — the deceased Virginia Tech shooter.

Despite not consenting to any searches, his vehicle was searched by force. Officials were intent on proving that he had intentions of mass murder. They tore apart his belongings, making several discoveries: some common items that are owned by millions of people all over the country, yet are arbitrarily restricted in “school safety zones.”

Zero Tolerance

Officials found a pocketknife which Mr. Wiser kept in his EMT jacket that he used as a firefighter. They found stun-gun in his glove compartment which he keeps for self-defense. And they found two plastic Airsoft rifles in his trunk which he uses for sporting purposes with his friends after school.

To the young firefighter, these were ordinary items he was never far away from. But in the eyes of the school and the local prosecutor — these were deadly threats to public safety.

A-Tech’s principal called the Ashtabula County Sheriff’s Department, and deputies came and arrested Mr. Wiser. He was charged with “illegal conveyance or possession of deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance or of object indistinguishable from firearm in school safety zone.” The charge is a Class 5 felony. It carries a jail sentence of 6-12 months.

Wiser was immediately locked up. His ordeal would only get stranger when he came under the rule of the local judges. The first was Judge Robert S. Wynn, who ordered a psych evaluation.

“I was in jail for almost 13 days,” Wiser said. “The first bond hearing I went to was on December 15. The judge ordered me [to be] held on a half million-dollar bond, pending a psychological evaluation. I did that and passed. They found I was not suicidal, homicidal or a threat to anybody. My attorney brought it up in front of a different judge, who let me out on a $50,000 bond and an ankle monitor. I was released from jail on Christmas Eve.”

Insult to Injury

Ashtabula County Sheriff’s Department procured a search warrant on his home. “They were allowed to look anywhere they wanted and take whatever they wanted,” wrote Wiser.

After being released on bond, Judge Alfred Mackey ordered him to get rid of his guns.

“The one judge I went in front of told me to remove any firearms from my parents’ house and put them at my grandpa’s house,” Wiser said to the Huffington Post. “The next judge freaked out about me even knowing what a gun is and put a no contact order against me and my grandparents. My grandfather is dying right now, and I am not allowed within 500 feet of him.”

“I’ve never met a firefighter who hasn’t carried a pocketknife, and I always use one,” explained Wiser. “I never had any intentions of hurting a soul.”

Yet the prosecutor — who is aspiring to be elected as a judge — is trying to paint Mr. Wiser as a potential killer and plans to throw the book at him.

“There are all these school occurrences where people are shot, people are killed by other students. We see it every day … so we don’t take these things lightly. … We have to be sure that we don’t have a potential for something like that to happen here.”

– Chief Assistant Prosecutor, Harold E. Specht, Jr.
(harold@electspecht.com)

Specht’s harsh words and harsh prosecution may be an attempt to endear himself to fascist-leaning voters in his upcoming judge’s race. His own campaign website boasts how he has built a career upon crushing violators of these so-called “zero tolerance” policies. His press release announcing his candidacy opens with following opening lines:

Ashtabula County Chief Assistant Prosecutor, Harold E. Specht, Jr., has announced his candidacy for the bench being vacated by the Honorable Judge Ronald W. Vettel, in the Ashtabula County Court of Common Pleas.

Harold Specht has made a career of serving and protecting the public. First with the US Marine Corps during the Gulf War, then in nearly two decades with the Ashtabula County Prosecutor’s office, where he has practiced a hardline, zero tolerance policy on prosecuting criminals.

He has since been kicked out of his technical school, A-Tech. “If I am convicted of a felony, I’m never going to be a police officer. I’m never going to be a fireman. I’m never going to be in the military,” he added. “I won’t even be able to be a janitor. I’m 18 years old, and this is going to ruin my entire life.”

A jury trial for Jordan Wiser is tentatively scheduled for June 11th. One wonders if his first-hand experience on the wrong side of the police state will make him reconsider his plans to become a police officer, where he will be tasked with enforcing such draconian punishments on innocent people like himself.

Mr. Wiser joins a number of other students who have been caught up in these zero-tolerance no-weapons policies. Police State USA wrote about multiple Georgia teens who could face a maximum of 10 years in prison for having pocketknives in their parked cars at school. Also covered was a story about an 18-year-old high school senior in Tennessee who was also charged with a felony for the same reason. It would seem that rural states like Georgia, Tennessee, and Ohio would be understanding the common ownership of pocketknives, yet the laws and the stories prove that the injustice of anti-weapon laws has swept into even the most unlikely states.

RJB
04-08-2014, 07:53 PM
WTF. My grandfather gave me a pocket knife to carry everywhere when I was a kid. In eighth grade I gave my teacher my pocket knife to unscrew a calculator to replace a battery. She thanked me.

This is screwed.

Homeschooling is the only solution.

1. So your kids don't become brainwashed.

2. So they don't get a felony record for a pocket knife.

kcchiefs6465
04-08-2014, 07:54 PM
Policestateusa is doing some very good work.

If I'm able I'll have to kick a few bucks their way.

Origanalist
04-08-2014, 08:19 PM
“If I am convicted of a felony, I’m never going to be a police officer. I’m never going to be a fireman. I’m never going to be in the military,” he added. “I won’t even be able to be a janitor. I’m 18 years old, and this is going to ruin my entire life.”

I feel bad for the kid but really, how dense can you be? It still doesn't occur to him what his chosen profession would make him?

Anti Federalist
04-08-2014, 08:35 PM
Policestateusa is doing some very good work.

If I'm able I'll have to kick a few bucks their way.

Our very own RPF member "rambone".

I will do the same.

GunnyFreedom
04-08-2014, 08:53 PM
You couldn't write dystopias like this a few decades ago. People would not have believed them.

jkr
04-08-2014, 09:32 PM
when
oh when
can we tell these parasites to go fuck themselves?

Origanalist
04-08-2014, 09:34 PM
when
oh when
can we tell these parasites to go fuck themselves?

When enough people agree that needs to be done. And I don't see that happening. Please tell me I'm wrong.

GunnyFreedom
04-08-2014, 09:38 PM
When enough people agree that needs to be done. And I don't see that happening. Please tell me I'm wrong.

Hunger will change everything. Maybe better, maybe worse, but the old rules will no longer apply.

Anti Federalist
04-08-2014, 09:39 PM

That's a negative, Ghostrider.

Anti Federalist
04-08-2014, 09:41 PM
Hunger will change everything. Maybe better, maybe worse, but the old rules will no longer apply.

And the system, God damn them, knows this, and are smart enough to keep the wheels from falling off completely.

Fed, Entertained and Exercising Petty Power.

Origanalist
04-08-2014, 09:48 PM

But the people have become dependent on these same authorities for their food. IF the supply stops, I agree with you. But the people running the show know this.

Nvrmd, AF already covered my point.

mad cow
04-08-2014, 10:44 PM
The dude is 18,an adult.I would bet that the majority of 9 year old boys carried pocket knives to school when I was that age.Bought by their parents.Maybe 99% if they were cub scouts.Hell,it might have been a requirement.Be prepared.

Mani
04-08-2014, 10:49 PM
It's for the CHILDREN!

Wait a minute....is this for the safety of the child with the pocket knife who's life is ruined because with a criminal record and felony on file he has no chance of finding a decent job?

Oh wait...he was slaughtered in order to save...THE REST OF THE CHILDREN....It's for the CHILDREN!!!

acptulsa
04-08-2014, 11:21 PM
It's for the CHILDREN!

Wait a minute....is this for the safety of the child with the pocket knife who's life is ruined because with a criminal record and felony on file he has no chance of finding a decent job?

Oh wait...he was slaughtered in order to save...THE REST OF THE CHILDREN....It's for the COMPLIANT CHILDREN!!!

FTFY

oyarde
04-08-2014, 11:57 PM
Well he came out better than I would have at 16 ( of course there were no real rules , nobody could search my vehicle ) . My glovebox would have had a three loaded revolvers S&W .38 , an Iver .32 and a S & W .22 , half pint of Bourbon ( my registration on the sun visor ) bottom of the floor a double 16 Ga , rifle , case of beer in the trunk ,shovel , duct tape ,lug wrench, hack saw , filet knife , butcher knife , skinning knife , some traps, axe, jumper cables ,toilet paper, maybe some ginseng , furs , my pockets , couple of Zippo's , switchblade , gold dollar , some silver dollars ,pack of cigarettes, ash tray in the car , roach clip .They would have to give me 15 life sentences.

acptulsa
04-09-2014, 02:02 AM
Well he came out better than I would have at 16 ( of course there were no real rules , nobody could search my vehicle ) . My glovebox would have had a three loaded revolvers... filet knife , butcher knife , skinning knife , some traps, axe... roach clip .They would have to give me 15 life sentences.

Terrist.

Anti Federalist
04-09-2014, 02:07 AM
Well he came out better than I would have at 16 ( of course there were no real rules , nobody could search my vehicle ) . My glovebox would have had a three loaded revolvers S&W .38 , an Iver .32 and a S & W .22 , half pint of Bourbon ( my registration on the sun visor ) bottom of the floor a double 16 Ga , rifle , case of beer in the trunk ,shovel , duct tape ,lug wrench, hack saw , filet knife , butcher knife , skinning knife , some traps, axe, jumper cables ,toilet paper, maybe some ginseng , furs , my pockets , couple of Zippo's , switchblade , gold dollar , some silver dollars ,pack of cigarettes, ash tray in the car , roach clip .They would have to give me 15 life sentences.

Why do you hate AmeriKa?

Anti Federalist
04-09-2014, 02:08 AM
It's for the CHILDREN!

Oh wait...he was slaughtered in order to save...THE REST OF THE CHILDREN....It's for the CHILDREN!!!

He'll get his chance to be a government worker...

Making license plates in prison.

tod evans
04-09-2014, 02:51 AM
Ashtabula County Chief Assistant Prosecutor, Harold E. Specht, Jr

List....:mad:

Mani
04-09-2014, 02:56 AM

THE HORROR! THE HORROR!!!!

http://thesuperstitiousnakedape.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/the-horror.jpg

They probably would have triggered a search because a student complained someone was smoking weed in the parking lot and as the principal walked by your car and saw an, "END THE FED" bumper sticker.

Today I think a few teachers would have feinted, a few classmates would have shrieked in horror and the cops would have called a SWAT TEAM, a couple of bearcats and a drone just in case....

http://www.policemag.com/_Images/photogallery/L-04-LAPD-BearCat.jpg

http://media.tri-cityherald.com/static/images/kaiblog/swatrosebearcat.jpg

DamianTV
04-09-2014, 03:24 AM
So anyone gonna mention that Supreme Court case way back in the 60's over Free Speech of a girl suspended for wearing an armband? SC ruled that Rights are NOT suspended just because a person is at school. Right to Bear Arms mother fuckers. That includes KNIVES and BASEBALL BATS.

It is NOT possible to suspend any Right without converting that Right into a Priviledge that can be revoked, even temporarily.

cjm
04-09-2014, 08:44 AM
The dude is 18,an adult.I would bet that the majority of 9 year old boys carried pocket knives to school when I was that age.Bought by their parents.Maybe 99% if they were cub scouts.Hell,it might have been a requirement.Be prepared.

exactly. I really don't remember exactly when I started carrying a scout knife every day, but I know I had one in my pocket all throughout high school.

oyarde
04-09-2014, 09:30 AM
exactly. I really don't remember exactly when I started carrying a scout knife every day, but I know I had one in my pocket all throughout high school.

Mine was a gift for completion of the prior two steps .Probably got it shortly after my Arrow of Light .I kept it oiled up in my tackle box most of the time, got it out and carried it to my Scouting events .It is in my garage now , laying on the back of the vice with a Tomahawk and an ice pick , next to the .17 Cal rifle.

jbauer
04-09-2014, 10:16 AM
Yall have missed the most IMPORTANT thing in the entire article: “If I am convicted of a felony, I’m never going to be a police officer. I’m never going to be a fireman. I’m never going to be in the military,” he added

So long to the draft, all ya gotta do is comitt a felony...you know have a pocket knife. Or, eat a piece of pizza in the shape of a gun. Or, in NY annoy a cop or drink a large soda

04-09-2014, 10:40 AM
I carried a pocket knife in school. It wasn't a big deal. It was also common to see pickups with guns in the gun rack in the parking lot, not a big deal either. This was only 25 years ago. Has it really got this bad this fast?

phill4paul
04-09-2014, 10:47 AM
I carried a pocket knife in school. It wasn't a big deal. It was also common to see pickups with guns in the gun rack in the parking lot, not a big deal either. This was only 25 years ago. Has it really got this bad this fast?

It really blows me away how much has changed since my youth.

phill4paul
04-09-2014, 10:48 AM
Yall have missed the most IMPORTANT thing in the entire article: “If I am convicted of a felony, I’m never going to be a police officer. I’m never going to be a fireman. I’m never going to be in the military,” he added

So long to the draft, all ya gotta do is comitt a felony...you know have a pocket knife. Or, eat a piece of pizza in the shape of a gun. Or, in NY annoy a cop or drink a large soda

If there is a draft, believe me, felony convictions will be waved.

Henry Rogue
04-09-2014, 01:01 PM
I felt sorry for him till I read he want to work in government his whole life. So even though he is being punished for no crime commited, he planned to commit crimes in the future, the tax tick.

RJB
04-09-2014, 01:07 PM
So long to the draft, all ya gotta do is comitt a felony...you know have a pocket knife. Or, eat a piece of pizza in the shape of a gun. Or, in NY annoy a cop or drink a large sodaOr taking out the Garbage from Alice's restaurant.

tod evans
04-09-2014, 01:18 PM
I felt sorry for him till I read he want to work in government his whole life. So even though he is being punished for no crime commited, he planned to commit crimes in the future, the tax tick.

The ones not bred into the life are indoctrinated from a young age..

It take conscientious parent(s) to raise kids of whom our forefathers would be proud....

Henry Rogue
04-09-2014, 01:32 PM
The ones not bred into the life are indoctrinated from a young age..

It take conscientious parent(s) to raise kids of whom our forefathers would be proud....
Very true. Just to clarify my previous post. He should not be punished as he has done nothing wrong. I still feel sorry for him, but not as much as I had before.

oyarde
04-10-2014, 12:06 AM
If there is a draft, believe me, felony convictions will be waved.

That is correct .

oyarde
04-10-2014, 12:09 AM
Or taking out the Garbage from Alice's restaurant.

I think you should put the song up . I used to listen to it every Thanksgiving , when back from hunting , before dinner , sitting by the fire with some good pre dinner wine .

oyarde
04-10-2014, 12:11 AM
Very true. Just to clarify my previous post. He should not be punished as he has done nothing wrong. I still feel sorry for him, but not as much as I had before.

I still feel sorry for him Henry , hopeful for him too .

oyarde
04-10-2014, 12:26 AM
THE HORROR! THE HORROR!!!!

http://thesuperstitiousnakedape.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/the-horror.jpg

They probably would have triggered a search because a student complained someone was smoking weed in the parking lot and as the principal walked by your car and saw an, "END THE FED" bumper sticker.

Today I think a few teachers would have feinted, a few classmates would have shrieked in horror and the cops would have called a SWAT TEAM, a couple of bearcats and a drone just in case....

http://www.policemag.com/_Images/photogallery/L-04-LAPD-BearCat.jpg

http://media.tri-cityherald.com/static/images/kaiblog/swatrosebearcat.jpg

I was wise with my only bumper sticker , only had one , it was " support for Sheriff " , whoever was Sheriff , everyone knew all they would get from me was a stiff lip anyway , so nobody bothered me . In the old days , you had to kind of talk and rat yourself out , I was never going to do that , after all , :) I was a Boy Scout and a Church Usher , all of my taxes , property taxes were pd , my parents , Grand Parents all owned property and voted , there was no need to bother a simple man like myself. Just an ol' Country Boy trying to get by , no worries if nobody bothered me . :)