PDA

View Full Version : The gay marriage bigots strike again

aGameOfThrones
04-07-2014, 11:07 PM
Five and a half years ago, over seven million people in the state of California voted for Proposition 8, the ballot initiative that (temporarily) eliminated the right of same-sex couples in the state to marry. An influential faction of the pro-gay marriage movement now apparently believes that those seven million should be barred from positions of power and influence in the United States.

That may be an exaggeration. Brendan Eich — who resigned as chief executive of Mozilla, a company he helped found, after OKCupid launched a boycott against the company for placing him in a senior position — did more than vote for Prop 8. He donated $1,000 to the cause. So maybe that's where the activists draw the line.

Or maybe not, at least in the "progressive" city of Portland, Oregon, where a woman named Chauncy Childs who personally opposes gay marriage and is attempting to open a premium food store has reportedly found herself the target of her own boycott. As has another business owner who supports gay marriage but dared to criticize the Childs boycott.

Who could possibly have predicted that the drive for equal marriage rights for homosexuals would take a turn into bigotry and intolerance? Oh, that's right: I did.

In response, numerous critics denied it would ever happen — and then implied that if it did, the homophobic bastards would deserve it anyway.

Let me be perfectly clear about where I stand. I support gay marriage and am cheered to see it becoming so widely accepted around the country so quickly. I also think that as a matter of law, many (though not all) institutions and private businesses, including those run by defenders of traditional marriage, will have to conform with the new pro-gay marriage consensus.

But what's going on in the Eich and Portland cases isn't about law. It's about social mores and the insistence on the part of a loud, influential faction of so-called liberals that every single American not only tolerate gay marriages, but also recognize and positively affirm the legitimacy and goodness of gay marriages. The punishment for refusing to give in to this non-negotiable demand won't be jail time or other legal punishment — so again, the issue isn't the law. Rather, the punishment will be a social media–fueled witch hunt, ritual humiliation, excommunication from civilized life, and exclusion from prominent positions of power in leading industries.

The most common — and laziest — response by those leading the charge (or cheering it on from the sidelines) is to say: But these opponents of gay marriage are just like opponents of interracial marriage! No one throws a pity party for these and other racists when they're marginalized, so why should it be different with those who reject gay marriage for religious or other conservative reasons?

For the umpteenth time: Our response should be different because the issues are different. Yes, it's possible to find justification for racism in the Bible — as it's possible to find justification for nearly anything in its many hundreds of pages. But racism — along with opposition to interracial marriage — received its primary historical validation from ideas, prejudices, and economic circumstances that have nothing directly to do with the message of Judeo-Christian scripture.

The same cannot be said about Judeo-Christianity's normative teaching on sexuality, which is rooted in both the Hebrew Bible and New Testament. It is deeply intertwined with the authoritative dogmas and doctrines of churches followed by hundreds of millions of people throughout the world, and has also been repeatedly reaffirmed and elaborated on at great length and with considerable theological sophistication throughout a nearly 2,000-year tradition of thinking that runs right down to the present.

I'm willing to wager a good amount of money that the vast majority those who are applauding Eich's firing and the Portlandia boycott frenzy think that Judeo-Christianity's normative teaching on sexuality is utter nonsense. That's perfectly fine. I don't buy much of it either.

But what is not perfectly fine — what is, in fact, stridently illiberal — is the belief that every person found on the other side of the divide deserves to be ostracized from mainstream American life as punishment for deviance from The Correct Position.

That's not liberalism. That's not tolerance. That's certainly not the much-vaunted progressive value of "diversity."

It's "the hounding of a heretic," as Andrew Sullivan aptly describes it.

In a powerful follow up post, Sullivan rightly asserts that "if we cannot live and work alongside people with whom we deeply disagree, we are finished as a liberal society." Exactly.

http://theweek.com/article/index/259422/the-gay-marriage-bigots-strike-again

Mod note: OpenDis sub-forum? I think it's genpoli, but then I think almost everything I post is genpoli :)

PierzStyx
04-08-2014, 01:30 AM
If you're a proponent of any kind of marriage laws, for straight people or gay people, then you are the problem and not the solution.

As for Eich losing his job- tough crap. That is the wager of the market. If people don't like you, they'll refuse to buy your product. If he was worth it the company would have kept him on and weathered the storm. Obviously he was not. We don't need less of this kind of action- we need more. People wake up and use the power you have instead of running to the nanny state to direct your life for you. As the article noted, this was the action of a small faction. Imagine what the woken majority could do.

Christian Liberty
04-08-2014, 08:00 AM
That was an interesting read. I like that this person at least gets the difference between racism and sexual orientation. That said, I'm not sure why this part:

Let me be perfectly clear about where I stand. I support gay marriage and am cheered to see it becoming so widely accepted around the country so quickly. I also think that as a matter of law, many (though not all) institutions and private businesses, including those run by defenders of traditional marriage, will have to conform with the new pro-gay marriage consensus.

Why not let the market decide?

Christian Liberty
04-08-2014, 08:01 AM
If you're a proponent of any kind of marriage laws, for straight people or gay people, then you are the problem and not the solution.

As for Eich losing his job- tough crap. That is the wager of the market. If people don't like you, they'll refuse to buy your product. If he was worth it the company would have kept him on and weathered the storm. Obviously he was not. We don't need less of this kind of action- we need more. People wake up and use the power you have instead of running to the nanny state to direct your life for you. As the article noted, this was the action of a small faction. Imagine what the woken majority could do.

Yeah, I agree. But I still think that anyone who thinks "Supporting traditional marriage" is an offense worth being fired over that person is an idiot.

pcosmar
04-08-2014, 08:45 AM
Yeah, I agree. But I still think that anyone who thinks "Supporting traditional marriage" is an offense worth being fired over that person is an idiot.

By "Traditional Marriage" you mean State Sanctioned and licensed marriage?

I would prefer to get the state out of something that is the providence of God alone.

God alone decides who is or is not "married".. Not a church (religious institution),, and not the state.

Christian Liberty
04-08-2014, 08:47 AM
By "Traditional Marriage" you mean State Sanctioned and licensed marriage?

I would prefer to get the state out of something that is the providence of God alone.

God alone decides who is or is not "married".. Not a church (religious institution),, and not the state.

I completely agree with you on the issue. I stated this above.

But if supporting government marriage is just cause for being fired, supporting government anything should be grounds to be fired:p

kahless
04-08-2014, 08:50 AM

^This.

He resigned on his own, "under the present circumstances, I cannot be an effective leader."

Tywysog Cymru
04-08-2014, 02:20 PM
As for Eich losing his job- tough crap. That is the wager of the market. If people don't like you, they'll refuse to buy your product.

Some people might not buy products from a company whose CEO is a minority, but is it really worth caving in to them?

samforpaul
04-08-2014, 06:21 PM
Eich loses his job for supporting real marriage. wow. Homofascism at work here.

Voluntarist
04-08-2014, 07:36 PM
xxxxx