PDA

View Full Version : Rob Lowe: I want the government out of almost everything

green73
04-07-2014, 02:02 PM
You’ve compared loyalty to a political party to recreational drug use. You’ve been sober for several years now, so what did you mean by that? I find them both highly overrated. Each day another state makes it O.K. for my 18-year-old — any 18-year-old — to go and buy pot like he’s buying a Pepsi-Cola, and so let’s face it: In the United States, recreational drug use is sort of acceptable. Belonging to one party is acceptable. But my days of just ticking the party box are long over. I judge the candidates for who they are.

So what do you believe? My thing is personal freedoms, freedoms for the individual to love whom they want, do with what they want. In fact, I want the government out of almost everything.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/06/magazine/rob-lowe-on-the-problems-with-being-pretty.html

CaseyJones
04-07-2014, 02:10 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/06/magazine/rob-lowe-on-the-problems-with-being-pretty.html

You’ve compared loyalty to a political party to recreational drug use. You’ve been sober for several years now, so what did you mean by that? I find them both highly overrated. Each day another state makes it O.K. for my 18-year-old — any 18-year-old — to go and buy pot like he’s buying a Pepsi-Cola, and so let’s face it: In the United States, recreational drug use is sort of acceptable. Belonging to one party is acceptable. But my days of just ticking the party box are long over. I judge the candidates for who they are.

So what do you believe? My thing is personal freedoms, freedoms for the individual to love whom they want, do with what they want. In fact, I want the government out of almost everything.

I am guessing thats a big "almost"

Ronin Truth
04-07-2014, 02:23 PM
I wonder what his "almost" is. Hmmm.

anaconda
04-07-2014, 02:37 PM
Thank you Rob. I suppose he can now look forward to a pernicious tax audit.

RM918
04-07-2014, 02:45 PM
BUT WHO WILL BUILD THE ROADS RANDROID?! MOVE TO SOMALIA!!!!!!

Ronin Truth
04-07-2014, 02:49 PM
BUT WHO WILL BUILD THE ROADS RANDROID?! MOVE TO SOMALIA!!!!!! My SWAG is the road building companies, as always. Who else is there?

donnay
04-07-2014, 03:31 PM
I applaud him for speaking out.

chudrockz
04-07-2014, 04:13 PM
BUT WHO WILL BUILD THE ROADS RANDROID?! MOVE TO SOMALIA!!!!!!

I got the infamous "Move to Somalia, libertarian tool!" response to my comment on a Politico article on FB this morning. I was mildly proud.

Henry Rogue
04-07-2014, 07:18 PM
You won the posting dual by eight minutes.

green73
04-07-2014, 07:19 PM
You won the posting dual by eight minutes.

But did the mod poster merge? Fuck no.

Henry Rogue
04-07-2014, 07:24 PM
But did the mod poster merge? Fuck no.Does he know you posted it yet? I doubt I would. I'll check out the other thread and see.

CaseyJones
04-07-2014, 07:25 PM
But did the mod poster merge? Fuck no.

did you flag it? fuck no

green73
04-07-2014, 07:28 PM
did you flag it? fuck no

Flag? That seems a tool for trolls.

My post was there dude. Being a mod, you should have seen it. No worries. I don't really care.

Henry Rogue
04-07-2014, 07:29 PM
did you flag it? fuck no
He probably didn't know about it either till I posted, you both can blame me for stirring up trouble.
Addendum: Next time I see a dual thread, I will flag it as a dual thread, instead of remarking in the thread. Better yet I'll PM whatever Mod is active.

green73
04-07-2014, 07:33 PM
He probably didn't know about it either till I posted, you both can blame me for stirring up trouble.

Meh, it was a thread that was never gonna go too far. Just like the Badgers :cool:

MelissaWV
04-07-2014, 07:33 PM
Flag? That seems a tool for trolls.

My post was there dude. Being a mod, you should have seen it. No worries. I don't really care.

Of course. Unpaid mods are there to read every single post that gets posted, figure out every single thread that needs to be merged, and for people to complain when it doesn't happen within their preferred timeframe.

And yeah, even if it's a huge "almost," it's still nice to hear anyone even close to getting it.

CaseyJones
04-07-2014, 07:35 PM
ya well he is in England he expects cradle to grave service

green73
04-07-2014, 07:38 PM
Of course. Unpaid mods are there to read every single post that gets posted, figure out every single thread that needs to be merged, and for people to complain when it doesn't happen within their preferred timeframe.

And yeah, even if it's a huge "almost," it's still nice to hear anyone even close to getting it.

I just suspect casey is the one who banned me once---which got quickly overturned--so I like giving him shit.

Snew
04-07-2014, 08:37 PM
Aight, cool.

Henry Rogue
04-07-2014, 08:37 PM
Meh, it was a thread that was never gonna go too far. Just like the Badgers :cool:
Bo shouldn't have given the ball to Traevon at the end of the game.

CaseyJones
04-10-2014, 04:36 PM
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2014/04/09/rob_lowe_individuals_usually_do_a_better_job_than_ collective_big_government.html

BILL O'REILLY: You also have said in your promoting of this book that you want less government intrusion. Is that correct?

ROB LOWE: I do. Yeah.

O'REILLY: But your pinhead friends in Hollywood they don't want, they want equality for everyone, which take a massive government.

LOWE: Well, I'm -- equality for everybody is great. That would be amazing. I just think that individuals usually do a better job than collective big government.

O'REILLY: So you don't want the government to be telling you how to live, that's kind of a libertarian position.

LOWE: Well, that's funny, does that make me a libertarian? I'm a Hollywood pinhead, Bill, I don't know about political labels.

O'REILLY: The libertarians want less government and more personal freedom which I think is what you are saying.

LOWE: That is what I'm saying.

O'REILLY: So now you're a libertarian?

LOWE: So all this time shedding the dogma of political labels and you're telling me now I have to go back to living under political labels.

O'REILLY: No, no, it's not bad. You just have to hang out with Stossel which is very, very difficult.

LOWE: Well then I take it back.

O'REILLY: You know, I think, look, I'm not a libertarian but I don't think that the government can solve the problems that the government purports to be able to solve.

LOWE: And just for the record we do need government for a lot of big ticket items. Not total.