PDA

View Full Version : ‘Annoy’ a Cop in New York State? That Could Soon Earn You 4 Years in Jail

libertyjam
04-07-2014, 12:18 PM
It should be a felony to “annoy” a cop in New York, the state Senate has voted.

The New York State Senate passed a bill today that “creates the crime of aggravated harassment of a police or peace officer. The bill (S.2402), sponsored by Senator Joe Griffo (R-C-I, Rome) would make it a felony to harass, annoy, or threaten a police officer while on duty. ”

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/06/06/annoy-a-cop-in-new-york-state-that-could-soon-earn-you-4-years-in-jail/

http://www.theblaze.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Screen-Shot-2013-06-06-at-11.46.07-AM-e1370533665789.png

____

“…Knowledge will always rule ignorance. You can either be informed and your own rulers, or you can be ignorant and have someone else, who is not ignorant, rule over you….”
-Julian Assange’s interview in Rolling Stone

LibertyEagle
04-07-2014, 12:20 PM
Just another reason why I will never live in NY.

JK/SEA
04-07-2014, 12:26 PM
'' and when in the prescence of a 'peace officer' you will bend to one knee, and kiss the boot, or face arrest, and/or a beating''

JK/SEA
04-07-2014, 12:26 PM

reported.

Anti Federalist
04-07-2014, 12:33 PM
Senator Joe Griffo (R-C-I, Rome)

Copsucker.

"or otherwise subjects such person to physical contact"

Oh boy, I can see how this will play out..."Stop resisting!"

"harrass, annoy, threaten or alarm a person"

Middle of the night SWAT raids with grenades and tanks do not apply, of course.

Some animals are more equal than others.

JK/SEA
04-07-2014, 12:37 PM
i hope it passes.

i would be inclined to make that long trip from Seattle and test these fuckers.

i think i have gone way past my tolerancel towards fascism....

Christian Liberty
04-07-2014, 12:37 PM

I hear you. I'm kind of stuck ATM, but I definitely don't want to live here.

kahless
04-07-2014, 01:51 PM
I hear you. I'm kind of stuck ATM, but I definitely don't want to live here.

You may this amusing from the other thread. I had a few opportunities over the years to escape but the window closed since I spent too much time researching the best locations without zoning and minimal to no property taxes. Always some family or personal event got in the way and then it was too late financially.

Vanguard101
04-07-2014, 01:53 PM
New York is a horrible state. How can Liberals support this terrible place?

kahless
04-07-2014, 01:53 PM
Everything here in NY is designed to favor the police state, government employees, teachers and unions and their pensions, high wages, early retirement and benefits. We work and are taxed to support these leeches.

Pick any profession and there is a mountain of regulations, licensing and heavy fines if you do not comply. ALL geared to prevent the average Joe from competing with big business.

It is really a shame since if it was not for the heavy hand of government and you get out of burned out cities it is beautiful state.

Anti Federalist
04-07-2014, 02:18 PM

Because they want it.

Conservatives AND liberals want this, and vote for it over and over and over and more and more and more.

One wants more war on us, the other wants more welfare on us.

aGameOfThrones
04-07-2014, 02:26 PM
You want to film me? Well, that's annoying, arrest them.

kahless
04-07-2014, 02:56 PM
Because they want it.

Conservatives AND liberals want this, and vote for it over and over and over and more and more and more.

One wants more war on us, the other wants more welfare on us.

Some want want, for the rest there is this huge disconnect when it comes to the political process. They will not research yet will vote for candidates and the party they identify themselves with feeling informed. They will just select D or R hoping or falsely believing their vote will produce a different outcome. They have been trained to think and blame the opposite party for these things. Any thing else is a conspiracy theory or anti-American, anti-hero.

Christian Liberty
04-07-2014, 03:07 PM
You may this amusing from the other thread. I had a few opportunities over the years to escape but the window closed since I spent too much time researching the best locations without zoning and minimal to no property taxes. Always some family or personal event got in the way and then it was too late financially.

This is on a very different level from zoning or property taxes...

kahless
04-07-2014, 03:22 PM
This is on a very different level from zoning or property taxes...

I never said it was on the same level, was just replying to your comment about leaving the state. Just giving you some understanding how much I actually do hate zoning laws to the point of leaving the state also, despite you spinning me at one point as a liberal or statist.

phill4paul
04-07-2014, 03:27 PM
Better give them your White Castle burgers when they ask.......don't want to annoy them.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/brooklyn/brooklyn-men-sue-nypd-white-castle-article-1.1722336

otherone
04-07-2014, 03:27 PM

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_nHlE7SYtFYI/Sf9fnCzD3TI/AAAAAAAABlM/sTDesUlMjpk/s400/cops-capture-128.jpg

LibForestPaul
04-07-2014, 04:38 PM
Some want want, for the rest there is this huge disconnect when it comes to the political process. They will not research yet will vote for candidates and the party they identify themselves with feeling informed. They will just select D or R hoping or falsely believing their vote will produce a different outcome. They have been trained to think and blame the opposite party for these things. Any thing else is a conspiracy theory or anti-American, anti-hero.

Sorry, they really do all want handouts. Police want your money for their pensions, parents want your money for their child's education, [mod del] wants your money for their EBT, old people want your money for their healthcare. And the list goes on and on...

Note, I am not being facetious. Every body wants "free money" for themselves. It is the end of the Roman Empire.

DamianTV
04-07-2014, 04:53 PM

Because not supporting the Liberals is just as much of a crime as offending any Copsuckers.

It results from other things like not supporting / believing in Global Warming literally resulting in people being diagnosed with a Mental Disorder, but extends itself well beyond Global Warming. Thus, not being a Liberal in NY is a Mental Disorder, and that is pretty much a crime.

Three Felonies per Day just became FOUR.

kahless
04-07-2014, 04:57 PM
Sorry, they really do all want handouts. Police want your money for their pensions, parents want your money for their child's education, ... wants your money for their EBT, old people want your money for their healthcare. And the list goes on and on...

Note, I am not being facetious. Every body wants "free money" for themselves. It is the end of the Roman Empire.

I said that in both posts. Just saying the other half there is this disconnect. You would be surprised how many people here feel the same way as people in these forums but due to progressive brainwashing it to does not translate politically and at the ballot box.

Anti Federalist
04-07-2014, 05:28 PM
Sorry, they really do all want handouts. Police want your money for their pensions, parents want your money for their child's education, ... wants your money for their EBT, old people want your money for their healthcare. And the list goes on and on...

And they all want those "other guys" pushed around, beat down and thrown in prison.

Safety Uber Alles.

Snew
04-07-2014, 08:49 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_nHlE7SYtFYI/Sf9fnCzD3TI/AAAAAAAABlM/sTDesUlMjpk/s400/cops-capture-128.jpg

Is this real? :eek:

Christian Liberty
04-07-2014, 09:08 PM
I refuse to support the scumbags at home OR abroad.

Anti Federalist
04-07-2014, 09:10 PM
Is this real? :eek:

Very real.

Just another day in Sector NYC.

(You know, that is how Coast Guard terms it on the marine radio: Sector New Orleans, Sector Boston, Secton Charleston, etc...)

Tod
04-07-2014, 09:16 PM
I wonder if this will cause a rise in the number of people shooting cops in an effort to avoid these kinds of sentences? At some point, when you have nothing left to lose....

Anti Federalist
04-07-2014, 09:19 PM
Felon:

http://thefunnyplace.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Trolling-the-cops-in-real-life.jpg

Henry Rogue
04-07-2014, 09:49 PM
Part of me hopes everyone in new york ends up as felons. Maybe it will become as meaningless as a high school diploma.

Snew
04-07-2014, 10:59 PM
Very real.

Just another day in Sector NYC.

(You know, that is how Coast Guard terms it on the marine radio: Sector New Orleans, Sector Boston, Secton Charleston, etc...)

I guess now we're all categorized under Sector Police State, then.

Weston White
04-07-2014, 11:46 PM
I knew this sounded familiar:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?416837-New-York-bill-would-make-it-a-crime-to-%91annoy%92-police

http://open.nysenate.gov/legislation/bill/S2402-2013

Beorn
04-07-2014, 11:54 PM
Did any of you actually read the law?
The annoyance part was just a matter of the mens rea requirement. The actus reus requirement is physical contact.

A felony charge is questionable depending on the circumstances, but I thought you guys supported the NAP?

kcchiefs6465
04-08-2014, 12:04 AM
The annoyance part was just a matter of the mens rea requirement. The actus reus requirement is physical contact.

A felony charge is questionable depending on the circumstances, but I thought you guys supported the NAP?
I think part of the NAP makes illegitimate the welfare whores propagandizing a certain segment of the public to extort from all, money to pay their by and large worthless asses.

I hope they are annoyed to the point of finding real goddamn jobs. Deliberately so.

libertyjam
04-08-2014, 08:01 AM

One NYPD to another NYPD: "What da fook is a 'mens rea'?"
Then to an unlucky pedestrian: "Hey You! get the fook over here, you just walked too close to my shoe! That annoys me, I think you touched it! Get da fook in the back of the paddy wagon!"

Christian Liberty
04-08-2014, 08:05 AM

Yeah, you're right that technically its not just annoyance. No, I didn't read it beforehand. That said, I think its debatable, depending on circumstances of course, whether assaulting a police officer is "aggression." Obviously if he's just driving around town and you do that it would be aggression. But, if he's in some way aggressing against you (which would be almost any forced encounter with them) its much more gray at minimum.

Anti Federalist
04-08-2014, 01:04 PM
I guess now we're all categorized under Sector Police State, then.

All Sectors are Classified as "Hostile", citizen.

Anti Federalist
04-08-2014, 01:07 PM

This is a gag, right?

Rocco
04-08-2014, 01:30 PM
Thank you Beorn, sometimes I wonder if people even read before they comment. This law in no way criminalizes speech, only physical contact.

Danke
04-08-2014, 01:51 PM
Thank you Beorn, sometimes I wonder if people even read before they comment. This law in no way criminalizes speech, only physical contact.

So I'm a felon if I shove a person in plain clothes (or under cover) police officer fucking with me?

Danke
04-08-2014, 01:53 PM
Even if they are in a state costume, why are they above me in the eyes of the law?

Beorn
04-08-2014, 01:59 PM
So I'm a felon if I shove a person in plain clothes (or under cover) police officer fucking with me?

No. You didn't read.

Danke
04-08-2014, 02:00 PM
No. You didn't read.

What part? Specifically.

mad cow
04-08-2014, 02:17 PM

Already covered by AF in post #5:
Oh boy, I can see how this will play out..."Stop resisting!"

There have been too many videos of somebody lying on the ground trying to cover up his vitals while surrounded by cops beating on him and shouting "Stop Resisting".
And without strong audio/video evidence to the contrary,'actus reus' is whatever these same cops claim what happened.
These are all to now be considered felonies?

Danke
04-08-2014, 02:57 PM
What part? Specifically.

An hour later as you are still online.

?

Henry Rogue
04-08-2014, 02:59 PM
No. You didn't read.
Oh, does it say that evey cop who dare touch a civilian be arrested and charged with a felony if said civilian feels that he or she has been annoyed by the offending policeman?

Danke
04-08-2014, 03:31 PM
An hour later as you are still online.

?

Still counting.

osan
04-08-2014, 04:29 PM
It should be a felony to “annoy” a cop in New York, the state Senate has voted.

The New York State Senate passed a bill today that “creates the crime of aggravated harassment of a police or peace officer. The bill (S.2402), sponsored by Senator Joe Griffo (R-C-I, Rome) would make it a felony to harass, annoy, or threaten a police officer while on duty. ”

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/06/06/annoy-a-cop-in-new-york-state-that-could-soon-earn-you-4-years-in-jail/

http://www.theblaze.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Screen-Shot-2013-06-06-at-11.46.07-AM-e1370533665789.png

____

“…Knowledge will always rule ignorance. You can either be informed and your own rulers, or you can be ignorant and have someone else, who is not ignorant, rule over you….”
-Julian Assange’s interview in Rolling Stone

Note "police officer OR peace officer". The two are clearly not the same things. I do not believe NY has any "peace" officers.

Note also that this will endanger police officers' lives. If someone is facing possible felony charges for "harassing" or "annoying" a cop, why not just kill the son of a bitch?

I'd sooner alligators chewed my nuts than live in NY state. Not even sure I would visit anymore.

DamianTV
04-08-2014, 04:39 PM
Note "police officer OR peace officer". The two are clearly not the same things. I do not believe NY has any "peace" officers.

Note also that this will endanger police officers' lives. If someone is facing possible felony charges for "harassing" or "annoying" a cop, why not just kill the son of a bitch?

I'd sooner alligators chewed my nuts than live in NY state. Not even sure I would visit anymore.

Dont have to visit, the law will come to you, where ever you may live. Police State is still expanding, not contracting.

JK/SEA
04-08-2014, 04:48 PM
Dont have to visit, the law will come to you, where ever you may live. Police State is still expanding, not contracting.

i'm reminded of this movie about Ann Frank that i watched as a young lad, and the sounds of the sirens, the yelling and screaming of people being carried away by the Nazi's to never be heard from again.....

glad it was 'just' a movie.......:eek:

Origanalist
04-08-2014, 06:59 PM

+rep

mad cow
04-08-2014, 07:37 PM

Yep.

Danke
04-08-2014, 08:37 PM

I have to go there regularly.
No choice really unless I quit my job. But at least I get to carry.

Czolgosz
04-08-2014, 09:31 PM
It'll be fraudulently used against you, unless there's video evidence. Never be around these guys w/o video or at least a witness.

If you want it to contract, be violent.

osan
04-08-2014, 11:14 PM
I have to go there regularly.
No choice really unless I quit my job. But at least I get to carry.

I carried in NYC for a decade. Illegally, mind you, but I was not going to subject myself to the risks just because some bastard passed a statute. But with this stop and frisk bullshit...

What is it you do?

Beorn
04-09-2014, 12:25 AM
Still counting.

Lol. Really?

You can read. Make your point. If you can't identify the relevant sentence then you're not someone worth arguing with.

Almost everybody here is largely complaining because they think it's going to be misused and misapplied.
That's a people problem not a law problem.

I have my own issues with some of the details of the law as I think it's mostly redundant, unnecessary, and possibly excessive, but people here were losing their shit over a misleading headline.
How does it make you any better than the sheeple who believe everything the MSm feeds them that confirms their own biases if you so thoughtlessly react to a headline when the text of the law is right in front of you?

Anti Federalist
04-09-2014, 02:13 AM
Lol. Really?

You can read. Make your point. If you can't identify the relevant sentence then you're not someone worth arguing with.

Almost everybody here is largely complaining because they think it's going to be misused and misapplied.

I have my own issues with some of the details of the law as I think it's mostly redundant, unnecessary, and possibly excessive, but people here were losing their shit over a misleading headline.
How does it make you any better than the sheeple who believe everything the MSm feeds them that confirms their own biases if you so thoughtlessly react to a headline when the text of the law is right in front of you?

Physical contact is subjective and misused constantly by cops.

Just recently, in NY IIRC a woman was charged with "assault on an officer" because she grabbed his arm as he pushed her on ice.

My bias needs no further confirmation.

I know exactly, but exactly, what will happen if this becomes law.

Instead of a misdemeanor conviction for "resisting" you'll now get a felony rap.

Which pretty much means the end of any honest living here in AmeriKa.

DamianTV
04-09-2014, 03:38 AM

Equal Rights means Equal Rights for EVERYONE, not just cops. When the consideration of a crime is based not the action itself, but on whom committed the accused action onto whom, you create an Imbalance of Justice and end with Just-Us.

So if its a crime to hit you in the head with a baseball bat, then yes, it would be a crime to hit a cop who is considered an equal citizen with the same baseball bat. Replace baseball bat with nerf bat and remove any actual intent to cause harm, under this law, youre no longer considered a victim, but a cop is?

Govt wants a monopoly on violence. It can only accomplish this by absolving itself of any responsibility for being violent while holding the Mundanes responsible for the pettiest of non crimes.

Dig deeper.

The proposed law only reinforces the idea that there is no such thing as an Unlawful Arrest, or Innocent until proven Guilty. Just as Gibbs was found Guilty, by Jack Sparrow, of the crime of being Innocent of the crime of being Jack Sparrow, you too are, as so elequitely as Pirates put it, Guilty of the crime of being Innocent.

When Innocence is Outlawed, only the Outlaws will have Innocense.

Beorn
04-09-2014, 03:46 AM
Equal Rights means Equal Rights for EVERYONE, not just cops. When the consideration of a crime is based not the action itself, but on whom committed the accused action onto whom, you create an Imbalance of Justice and end with Just-Us.

So if its a crime to hit you in the head with a baseball bat, then yes, it would be a crime to hit a cop who is considered an equal citizen with the same baseball bat. Replace baseball bat with nerf bat and remove any actual intent to cause harm, under this law, youre no longer considered a victim, but a cop is?

These are good points.

tod evans
04-09-2014, 04:07 AM
Laws, lawyers and legislation are not the answer to societies ills....

They only exacerbate the problem....

Christian Liberty
04-09-2014, 07:31 AM
This is a gag, right?

I think Beorn is serious. I see his point but I also see a couple issues:

1. As I said, its debatable whether anything you do to a cop is really "aggression"; it probably is if they're just patrolling but if they're trying to do something aggressive against you not so much. Even then, one could argue (though I'd probably disagree) that even working for the regime in such a way is a de facto threat and already makes the cops aggressors.

2. Even if we're talking about unjustified physical contact, the punishment is way out of line. Shoving a cop, assuming (I know this is a big assumption) he is not being an aggressor, isn't cool, but does it deserve 1+ years in prison? Of course not.

3. The law will almost certainly be misinterpreted by the courts to favor their own (police.)

Just some stuff Beorn should think about.

I don't blame you. I'm no fan either. If it were up to me in a practical sense I wouldn't live here. I certainly would never buy property here. I don't think I'd go so far as to say I wouldn't visit though.

I carried in NYC for a decade. Illegally, mind you, but I was not going to subject myself to the risks just because some bastard passed a statute. But with this stop and frisk bullshit...

What is it you do?

What is there to do? Stop and frisk kind of limits your options. Stay out of NYC? I hate NYC.

Warrior_of_Freedom
04-09-2014, 07:59 AM
so if a cop annoys me I can make a citizen's arrest?

tod evans
04-09-2014, 08:03 AM
so if a cop annoys me I can make a citizen's arrest?

Why yes..........

Of course you can, just be sure to have 20-30 heavily armed friends in close proximity to back your play...

Then you'll need more friends to sit on a kangaroo court to press charges, yet more friends to trumpet your heroism and even more to stand guard as you toss the scofflaw into a cell....

Warrior_of_Freedom
04-09-2014, 08:08 AM
Why yes..........

Of course you can, just be sure to have 20-30 heavily armed friends in close proximity to back your play...

Then you'll need more friends to sit on a kangaroo court to press charges, yet more friends to trumpet your heroism and even more to stand guard as you toss the scofflaw into a cell....

do facebook friends count?

Beorn
04-09-2014, 04:28 PM
Lol @danke for neg repping me because I didn't reiterate to him what's highlighted in the OP.

Henry Rogue
04-09-2014, 05:33 PM
Lol. Really?

Exclusive, was my point. Rule of Law is Rule of Chaos when laws provide special privileges and protections for a few. This isn't justice, this is a law that create injustice. That is very much a law problem.