PDA

View Full Version : "The Constitution has three crimes: treason, piracy and counterfeit."

wealeat
04-07-2014, 09:17 AM
“The Constitution has three crimes: treason, piracy and counterfeit. The Fed does all three,” Brannon said.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/04/06/3764155/gop-senate-hopefuls-weigh-in-against.html#storylink=cpy

Ronin Truth
04-07-2014, 09:37 AM
I guess the secret illegal Federalist organized coup d'etat against the Articles of Confederation didn't qualify as treason. Pity.

libertyplz
04-07-2014, 09:39 AM
Here is the video of the event in which he said that for anyone who wants to see his full speech.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDSIwwsYLWA

I believe those specific comments come from the q&a they do towards the end. I watched the video yesterday so I don't completely remember when he said it. Brannon was the last one to speak in the video (I think he comes in around 1:23:00) and then they move on to q&a right after with the candidates that stayed.

PierzStyx
04-07-2014, 09:55 AM
I guess the secret illegal Federalist organized coup d'etat against the Articles of Confederation didn't qualify as treason. Pity.

I don't think it qualifies as secret when you have open public debates in every legislature in the state that then individually vote to accept the Constitution or deny it.

Also, for your purposes you should say "federalist" not "Federalist." The first refers to people who favored the Federal system of government purposed in the Constitution, and includes such opposites as James Madison and Alexander Hamilton. The seconded example is the Federalist Party, a national party that was one of the first to organize after the Constitution came in to effect.

Ronin Truth
04-07-2014, 10:21 AM
I don't think it qualifies as secret when you have open public debates in every legislature in the state that then individually vote to accept the Constitution or deny it.

Also, for your purposes you should say "federalist" not "Federalist." The first refers to people who favored the Federal system of government purposed in the Constitution, and includes such opposites as James Madison and Alexander Hamilton. The seconded example is the Federalist Party, a national party that was one of the first to organize after the Constitution came in to effect.

The state legislatures didn't get to vote on the CONstitution.

Read Article VII.

Article. VII. - Ratification

The Ratification of the Conventions of nine States, shall be sufficient for the Establishment of this Constitution between the States so ratifying the Same.

I wrote what I meant.

Vanguard101
04-07-2014, 01:48 PM

How is that treason?

Ronin Truth
04-07-2014, 02:35 PM
How is that treason?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/treason

heavenlyboy34
04-07-2014, 02:38 PM
Ronin wins the thread. :cool:

Simon
04-07-2014, 04:22 PM
The dictionary definition of treason doesn't apply. The Constitutional definition does:

"Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying war against them, or in adhering to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort. No person shall be convicted of treason unless on the testimony of two witnesses to the same overt act, or on confession in open court."

Ronin Truth
04-07-2014, 10:27 PM
The dictionary definition of treason doesn't apply. The Constitutional definition does:

"Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying war against them, or in adhering to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort. No person shall be convicted of treason unless on the testimony of two witnesses to the same overt act, or on confession in open court." Perhaps now, but surely NOT BEFORE the CONstitution was ratified (so called). Correct? I guess the Federalists tried to cover their collective butts against a retroactive treason charge for their illegal and unauthorized anti-AoC coup.

wealeat
04-08-2014, 03:00 PM
Y'all are ridiculous. It is a funny quote. That's all.

Ronin Truth
04-08-2014, 03:24 PM
Y'all are ridiculous. It is a funny quote. That's all.

Hilarious!