PDA

View Full Version : Arizona Student Slammed by Cop in Viral Video Wants an Apology

aGameOfThrones
04-03-2014, 10:18 PM
Christina Gardilcic wants an apology,

The 21-year-old college student, in an exclusive interview with ABC News, said a police officer slammed into her during last weekend's riot in Tucson, Ariz., after the University of Arizona's defeat in the NCAA men's basketball tournament. Video of the alleged incident has spread across the Internet, and Gardilcic said her arm is still bruised.

WATCH: Arizona Student Tackled by Cop Speaks Out

Gardilcic said she was simply walking with her friends when the incident she considers excessive force took place.

"He hit me with kind of his whole body, but he had a baton, so he kind of used that as his force," she said. "I was blindsided."

Gardilcic says she did not cross police lines and was never told she could not be in the area.

She was not arrested.

Tucson Police say the officer, 18-year veteran Sgt. Joel Mann, has received so many threats that the department changed his assignment for his safety. Internal affairs is investigating the video, along with more than 100 hours of footage captured by police themselves, the department told ABC News.

"The department will thoroughly investigate this incident to determine the facts and circumstances surrounding the department's respond to the entire incident," according to a police statement.

While authorities say they have been in contact with Gardilcic, she says she hasn't heard a word from police.

http://gma.yahoo.com/student-slammed-cop-viral-video-wants-apology-140445180--abc-news-topstories.html

Anti Federalist
04-03-2014, 10:26 PM
Tucson Police say the officer, 18-year veteran Sgt. Joel Mann, has received so many threats that the department changed his assignment for his safety.

phill4paul
04-03-2014, 10:31 PM

He's obviously in need of police protection. Barney and Doofus will be assigned overtime. Dinner at my house tonight guys. Taxpayers treat.

KCIndy
04-03-2014, 10:42 PM
Tucson Police say the officer, 18-year veteran Sgt. Joel Mann, has received so many threats that the department changed his assignment for his safety.

Hey, we all need to remember one simple thing. The motto says, "To Protect and Serve." Bear in mind that it has NEVER said TO WHOM that motto applies.

JK/SEA
04-03-2014, 10:45 PM
Christina...here's your apology from the alleged 'police officer'..

''fuck you''

have a nice day.

fr33
04-03-2014, 11:01 PM
I'm of the opinion that such an officer should fear for his life after doing that just like anyone who assaults a girl should.

phill4paul
04-03-2014, 11:09 PM
I'm of the opinion that such an officer should fear for his life after doing that just like anyone who assaults a girl should.

At the very least....the least... so ostracized that he would have to move and start over again.

KingNothing
04-03-2014, 11:12 PM
I don't think that he should be in fear for his life because violence is never the ultimate solution, but he should be in fear for his job, that much is certain. There's no way he should be carrying a badge and gun if he's proven himself capable of doing that to another human, particularly such a young lady. For our safety, he needs to have his responsibilities taken away from him.

fr33
04-04-2014, 12:58 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqIHSyPVAqM

dannno
04-04-2014, 01:13 AM
This is a bad idea, I would be scared of being shot during the apology. I hope she doesn't have a pet.

Mani
04-04-2014, 01:33 AM

Yes, where are the people who are about DOMESTIC violence, violence against women!

WHen our HEROES treat women like this, what kind of message does it send??

Anti Federalist
07-04-2014, 04:08 PM
Video at link...unable to embed.

Remember The Tough Guy Cop Who Assaulted an Innocent 90 lb Girl? Here’s His Body Cam

July 3, 2014

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/remember-tough-guy-cop-assaulted-innocent-90-lb-girl-body-cam/

Sgt. Joel Mann made national headlines this year for being caught on citizen video waylaying a University of Arizona student after the Wildcats loss in the NCAA’s Elite 8 tournament.

The brutal assault, which took no more than 2 seconds, raised many questions about the application of force used by police that night.

Now, for the first time, the public is seeing the dramatic shove of student Christina Gardilcic from Sgt. Mann’s perspective.

The video from his body worn camera is among the new 37 videos released by TPD late Wednesday afternoon.

Now for the kicker. Eight minutes prior to the assault on Gardilcic, Mann assaulted another woman just outside of a food venue.

In the video, Sgt. Mann shouts “move” multiple times, before shoving a young woman into a man sitting in a chair. The man replies “can we get up,” but Sgt. Mann gives them no time to get out of the way. He also shoves the man another time with one hand.

Apparently Mann was on a mission to smash some heads that March night in Arizona.

According to KGUN 9, the police issued a report which states that ”the FBI is in the process of conducting a review for any civil rights violations on the actions of Sgt. Joel Mann.”

aGameOfThrones
07-04-2014, 06:27 PM
Politik gefolgt, banal.

P3ter_Griffin
07-05-2014, 12:10 AM
Not only a dog in blue, but a murderer for hire too! I can't find a date for the article unfortunately.

http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/5986237/arizona-army-national-guard-deployment-a-test-for-soldiers-and-families

Hundreds of men and women with the Arizona Army National Guard First Battalion, 285th Aviation Regiment have already been living like soldiers in Fort hood, Texas, but they're about to begin one year in Afghanistan. What is a test for the soldiers is also a test for their families.

"It is really, really tough and I wish that my little Thomas and Alex and Catherine know that I love them and I think about my wife every minute," Staff Sgt. Joel Mann said in Fort Hood back on January 10th.

"My husband is a really soft spoken person and handles boys a lot better than I do, especially when Thomas is concerned. He has more ways of connecting with Thomas than I do," said Nathalie Mann, Joel's wife, in Tucson on Wednesday.

Thomas is Joel and Nathalie Mann's eight year old son, and Nathalie says he's autistic. A copy of our news stories with Joel are important to her because she thinks they're important to Thomas.

"I can see seeing Dad on TV helped out, because he's able to sit down," Nathalie said about Thomas.

But Thomas isn't the only one who can use some comfort. Nathalie worries what might happen once Joel returns.

"Especially at night when the children are asleep. That's when you say, 'What if?' What if they'll need him more in Iraq and decide to send him there?" Nathalie said.

It would mean more sacrifices. Joel, a Tucson Police sergeant, has already been away from his job since May to train for his assignment. Nathalie can only work part time as a paramedic firefighter so that she can tend to Thomas.

The 23rd anniversary of her marriage to Joel is Thursday.

"If I could, I would go for him, so he wouldn't have to, but I have to support him and it's what he wanted to do and he has to do," Nathalie said.

About 450 men and women with the 1-285th Armed Reconnaissance Battalion could go to Afghanistan at any moment. The military doesn't like to give out specific dates for security reasons.

Found another article, said the 1-285th Armed Reconnaissance Battalion deployed in August 2012. Previous article must be ~2012.

http://azstarnet.com/gallery/news/local/photos-arizona-army-national-guard-deployment/collection_c295737c-ee4a-11e1-ac7d-0019bb2963f4.html#11

Ohh, and another one, he's violent SOB.

http://blue-bloused5.rssing.com/chan-3992192/all_p865.html

TUCSON - It was the shove caught on camera that made national headlines.

A University of Arizona student knocked into a metal bench by a Tucson Police Sergeant during the March 29th melee on University Boulevard.

For the first time, News 4 Tucson has obtained a detailed look at Sergeant Joel Mann's personnel record. According to Sgt. Mann's internal affairs history he had three violations in three years including suspensions.

He's also received multiple merit raises and positive performance reviews.

Sgt. Mann has been with TPD since 1995. His base salary is nearly $82,000 according to 2010 records, provided by the department.

Sgt. Mann has been active in the Army National Guard since 1987, specializing as a scout and attack helicopter crew chief.

A review of Sgt. Mann's internal affairs history shows he sustained violations in October 2003, April 2005 and February 2006.

In the 2005 incident Sgt. Mann was suspended for three days with pay. A citizen complained that during a traffic stop for speeding Sgt. Mann was "arrogant, flippant, threatening and completely offensive".

When questioned by his superiors, Sgt. Mann stated "it was his common practice to have all violators of criminal traffic exit their vehicles and be placed in handcuffs. He then has the violator sit on the front bumper of his police car while he continues the investigation".

Ultimately, the Chain of Command investigation concluded Sgt. Mann's comments were "unacceptable, unprofessional, very dangerous, and is a serious liability risk for the Tucson Police Department and the City of Tucson".

Sgt. Mann has received three additional lesser reprimands ranging from failure to appear in court, taking action while off duty, damage and abuse of police property for steering his patrol car in a ditch, in 1996.

Sgt. Mann's personnel record also shows multiple positive reviews and merit raises over the years.

His performance evaluations are often rated 'meets and exceeds standards'.

The records, provided by TPD don't include any recent personnel documents, including the March 29th post-game ruckus in which Sgt. Mann is under investigated.

We've made attempts to interview Sgt. Mann, but through his attorney has denied our requests.

The FBI is also investigating Sgt. Mann's actions and whether or not he violated Christina Gardilcic's civil rights.

News 4 Tucson asked her, did the police officer give you any directive?

"No," Gardilcic says.

Did they ever tell you to get back, don't get any farther, don't cross any line?

"No. And there were people all around, even; I mean it was caught on video, so obviously someone was standing right there," Gardilcic says.

No word yet on when the investigations are expected to be complete.

TUCSON - It was the shove caught on camera that made national headlines.

A University of Arizona student knocked into a metal bench by a Tucson Police Sergeant during the March 29th melee on University Boulevard.

For the first time, News 4 Tucson has obtained a detailed look at Sergeant Joel Mann's personnel record. According to Sgt. Mann's internal affairs history he had three violations in three years including suspensions.

He's also received multiple merit raises and positive performance reviews.

Sgt. Mann has been with TPD since 1995. His base salary is nearly $82,000 according to 2010 records, provided by the department.

Sgt. Mann has been active in the Army National Guard since 1987, specializing as a scout and attack helicopter crew chief.

A review of Sgt. Mann's internal affairs history shows he sustained violations in October 2003, April 2005 and February 2006.

In the 2005 incident Sgt. Mann was suspended for three days with pay. A citizen complained that during a traffic stop for speeding Sgt. Mann was "arrogant, flippant, threatening and completely offensive".

When questioned by his superiors, Sgt. Mann stated "it was his common practice to have all violators of criminal traffic exit their vehicles and be placed in handcuffs. He then has the violator sit on the front bumper of his police car while he continues the investigation".

Ultimately, the Chain of Command investigation concluded Sgt. Mann's comments were "unacceptable, unprofessional, very dangerous, and is a serious liability risk for the Tucson Police Department and the City of Tucson".

Sgt. Mann has received three additional lesser reprimands ranging from failure to appear in court, taking action while off duty, damage and abuse of police property for steering his patrol car in a ditch, in 1996.

Sgt. Mann's personnel record also shows multiple positive reviews and merit raises over the years.

His performance evaluations are often rated 'meets and exceeds standards'.

The records, provided by TPD don't include any recent personnel documents, including the March 29th post-game ruckus in which Sgt. Mann is under investigated.

We've made attempts to interview Sgt. Mann, but through his attorney has denied our requests.

The FBI is also investigating Sgt. Mann's actions and whether or not he violated Christina Gardilcic's civil rights.

News 4 Tucson asked her, did the police officer give you any directive?

"No," Gardilcic says.

Did they ever tell you to get back, don't get any farther, don't cross any line?

"No. And there were people all around, even; I mean it was caught on video, so obviously someone was standing right there," Gardilcic says.

No word yet on when the investigations are expected to be complete.

aGameOfThrones
07-05-2014, 11:37 AM
Nathalie, how many times has Sgt. Mann beaten you? Sgt. Mann likes to hit women a lot.

pcosmar
07-05-2014, 11:52 AM

Don't make threats.

Do,, or do not. (and keep quiet about it)

libertariantexas
07-06-2014, 07:34 PM
Joel Mann should be tossed off the police force, lose his pension, and be prosecuted for assault. As a cop, he should be held to a higher standard than a civilian.

But we all know what will happen. He'll get a slap on the wrist and retire with a fat pension.

Anti Federalist
07-06-2014, 09:45 PM
Don't make threats.

Do,, or do not. (and keep quiet about it)

Sage advice.

Which explains why no threat was made.

Anti Federalist
07-06-2014, 09:46 PM
Joel Mann should be tossed off the police force, lose his pension, and be prosecuted for assault. As a cop, he should be held to a higher standard than a civilian.

But we all know what will happen. He'll get a slap on the wrist and retire with a fat pension.

He is just as much a "civilian" as you or I.

CaptainAmerica
07-06-2014, 09:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AepT1_gAvfM&feature=kp