PDA

View Full Version : Germany bans managers from calling or emailing staff after work hours

DamianTV
04-02-2014, 03:39 PM
http://ibnlive.in.com/news/germany-bans-managers-from-calling-or-emailing-staff-after-work-hours/461070-79.html

Germany's labor ministry has banned managers from calling or emailing staff out of hours except in emergencies. The ministry says the measure is intended to prevent staff from suffering undue stress by being constantly on call.

Daily Sueddeutsche Zeitung reported Friday that the ministry is following the lead of major German companies such as automaker Volkswagen and Deutsche Telekom.

The newspaper cited official guidelines stating that no staff should be penalized for turning off their cellphone or failing to pick up messages after working hours "to prevent self-exploitation."

It said managers were also being urged to refrain from calling staff while on leave but out-of-hours contact was permitted "in exceptional circumstances."

General Politics because... there needs to be a Law against EVERYTHING?

angelatc
04-02-2014, 03:40 PM
http://ibnlive.in.com/news/germany-bans-managers-from-calling-or-emailing-staff-after-work-hours/461070-79.html

Should be in International Affairs.

eduardo89
04-02-2014, 03:41 PM
I thought you'd support that law, Damian.

Christian Liberty
04-02-2014, 03:54 PM
I thought you'd support that law, Damian.

I don't, but I do think that an employer who expects his employees to be on call all the time is taking advantage. Off time should be off time where possible.

eduardo89
04-02-2014, 04:02 PM
I don't, but I do think that an employer who expects his employees to be on call all the time is taking advantage. Off time should be off time where possible.

There are many industries where you are on call all the time.

Danke
04-02-2014, 04:13 PM
I never answer company calls. But if they leave me a msg saying Purty Please call me back, I might.

KingNothing
04-02-2014, 04:15 PM
I work about 60 hours a week, and have my work-email open any time I'm on the laptop at home. I've no compunction about responding while "not working." What's the big deal?

eduardo89
04-02-2014, 04:17 PM
I never answer company calls. But if they leave me a msg saying Purty Please call me back, I might.

My services are in 'high' demand, so I try to keep my customers happy.

Brian4Liberty
04-02-2014, 04:31 PM
Ever since the internet, many people are working pretty much every waking hour. Many employers expect it.

Can you stand up to that pressure? Depends on the labor market, doesn't it? Supply and demand, it's not just for widgets.

Intoxiklown
04-02-2014, 04:37 PM
If a you are given a company cell phone, you are expected to answer it when work calls. These people aren't asked to come in and work if they're on their off hours, but usually just are being asked to answer a question. At least, in all the management jobs I've had, it was always an off shift supervisor calling me looking for an answer to a problem they were having. People want to have good paying leadership jobs, and only work 40 hour weeks.

That is the ultimate in a lazy person who feels they are entitled to everything.

And same with the email. Why is it considered taking advantage of emailing someone?

ZENemy
04-02-2014, 04:39 PM
There are many industries where you are on call all the time.

Correct.

I am, I.T.

Danke
04-02-2014, 04:41 PM

So are mine, i can cost the company thousands of dollars by just showing up late.

eduardo89
04-02-2014, 04:41 PM
Correct.

I am, I.T.

That is the exact industry I had in mind. I'm consulting at a bank right now and the IT guys, especially the guys who are in charge of the core banking software, are on call 24/7/365.

eduardo89
04-02-2014, 04:42 PM
So are mine, i can cost the company thousands of dollars by just showing up late.

I even put quotation marks over one word, but it seems you missed what I was trying to say.

KingNothing
04-02-2014, 04:44 PM
If a you are given a company cell phone, you are expected to answer it when work calls. These people aren't asked to come in and work if they're on their off hours, but usually just are being asked to answer a question. At least, in all the management jobs I've had, it was always an off shift supervisor calling me looking for an answer to a problem they were having. People want to have good paying leadership jobs, and only work 40 hour weeks.

That is the ultimate in a lazy person who feels they are entitled to everything.

And same with the email. Why is it considered taking advantage of emailing someone?

There are very, very, very few salaries workers who only put in 40 hours a week that I'd consider "good" employees. If you aren't putting in at least 50 hours a week, you aren't working hard enough.

Danke
04-02-2014, 04:44 PM
I even put quotation marks over one word, but it seems you missed what I was trying to say.

I did, but I respect your profession. Keep safe.

specsaregood
04-02-2014, 04:45 PM
I work about 60 hours a week, and have my work-email open any time I'm on the laptop at home. I've no compunction about responding while "not working." What's the big deal?

I respond to customers I like at all hours of the day/night 7days aweek. The douchebags have to wait until work hours and weekdays.

Danke
04-02-2014, 04:45 PM
There are very, very, very few salaries workers who only put in 40 hours a week that I'd consider "good" employees. If you aren't putting in at least 50 hours a week, you aren't working hard enough.

Sounds like something I did in the Military.

KingNothing
04-02-2014, 04:46 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWiYphJUS7Q

eduardo89
04-02-2014, 04:47 PM
I respond to customers I like at all hours of the day/night 7days aweek. The douchebags have to wait until work hours and weekdays.

You never respond to my emails outside of working hours....

specsaregood
04-02-2014, 04:49 PM

Well I only give the 24hour treatment to customers that pay their invoices on time and without complaint.

Danke
04-02-2014, 04:50 PM

I don't think Specs speaks Spanish.

eduardo89
04-02-2014, 04:54 PM
I don't think Specs speaks Spanish.

I translate all my emails on Google Translate first. That way there's no chance of misunderstanding what I want to say.

Intoxiklown
04-02-2014, 04:54 PM

Every salaried position I've held was based on a 50 hour work week. But I've known people who do all they can to work 8 hours a day, and make sure they take their whole hour for lunch.

Paulbot99
04-02-2014, 05:17 PM
There's a big difference between a company's policy and a government law.

satchelmcqueen
04-02-2014, 07:14 PM
good! when im done at work, my home life begins. i dont respond to work calls, text or email after i get home. they respect that and im glad.

The Free Hornet
04-02-2014, 07:22 PM
I'm surprised that email is within scope of the "law" (if it even is a law). Set the smart phone to not buzz on new emails and half the problem is solved.

Also, our work has no "after work hours" (3-shift operation) and salaried folk have no set hours. "After" hours is meaningless. Some people are at their desk 6am. Others wake up hours later.

Although protocols and habits have to evolve to deal with the tech, people are more productive - generally - than ever before. I and coworkers spend a lot less time driving because we can communicate in a few minutes what could take 2-3 hours if you had to come in to work to address.

We accomadate employees with endless personal problems. Easily. Easily because we can communicate at any time. If you want your employer to be flexible, then you need to be flexibile too. If you want to work 9-5 with no exceptions ever, then work 9-5 with no exceptions ever. Fewer and fewer people choose that.

Ever since the internet, many people are working pretty much every waking hour. Many employers expect it.

Can you stand up to that pressure? Depends on the labor market, doesn't it? Supply and demand, it's not just for widgets.

M'eh. I disagree. With commisioned sales, the bottom line is the bottom line and nobody anymore gives a damn about them being in the office 2-6 hours on average, 3 or 4 days a week. They might be on customer calls, emails, visits the other times or maybe they are at a nudie bar. Nobody knows, nobody cares. Our best salesperson doesn't like being at work because people bother him all the time. At home, he can be on the laptop and smart phone and get more shit done.

With the non-coms, I see more vaue in the ability to delegate work to hourly employees than to simply overwork yourself. Both are valuable, one is more valuable (but not always easy to do).

A smart phone is also the "everything is OK alarm" but much quieter. I don't have to be at work to know everything is OK, because I'll be called or emailed or texted if something comes up. Fuck the Germans (not literally as that results in more Germans).

http://simpsonswiki.com/w/images/thumb/0/07/OKalarm.jpg/250px-OKalarm.jpg

jonhowe
04-02-2014, 10:11 PM
If you read it carefully, this is only for employees of the labor ministry.

gwax23
04-02-2014, 10:14 PM
If you read it carefully, this is only for employees of the labor ministry.

Bureaucrats passing laws to make their lives easier. Seems legit.

Natural Citizen
04-02-2014, 11:09 PM

Do you really buy this logic for shutting down communication in this area, Damian? :)

Hey, you know, Russia just bought a crap load of typwriters. http://www.businessinsider.com/russias-new-ability-to-evade-us-spying-2014-3

Also... How Much Is NSA Spying Costing In Lost Productivity? (http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2014/03/much-nsa-spying-costing-lost-productivity.html)

angelatc is right. :cool:

Spikender
04-02-2014, 11:12 PM
We can only hope that next month they vote to raise their pay as well, the hard working gits.

oyarde
04-02-2014, 11:45 PM

I gave up on that shit before I was 50 .

oyarde
04-02-2014, 11:52 PM
Sounds like something I did in the Military.

Yeah , fuck that, LOL

oyarde
04-02-2014, 11:57 PM
Every salaried position I've held was based on a 50 hour work week. But I've known people who do all they can to work 8 hours a day, and make sure they take their whole hour for lunch.

I probably work about nine hours a day , non stop from the time I get there until I leave , take a cup of coffee with me , no breaks , I am on salary , I could do whatever , but then I would be there longer. Anything longer , is unacceptable for the compensation .

oyarde
04-03-2014, 12:07 AM
I do not check my e mail , phone , at all .I am there or I am not . I take my phone off my taxes though , since I only use it while I am there :) , lol. Soon , I will no longer even file :)

oyarde
04-03-2014, 12:12 AM

I used to be that way , when I was younger . Now , I have other things to do . I earn my alary , probably , easily the first 3 1/2 hour a day , in four days that I work ( I work five ) .No person can do all that I can .If they do not like it :) , they are free to dismiss me anytime , I could care less .

Spikender
04-03-2014, 12:17 AM
Wow, oyarde, five posts in a row? Now that's some record stuff right there pal.

As for King's assertions and those of others, it's all about each individual's situation. I'm technically on call and I'm salaried, but I work a little over 40 hours and take my full 30 minute break. Granted, I also work ten and a half hour night shifts, so no one gives me shit about not putting in more than 40 hours. My sacrifice in sleep is enough I hope.

oyarde
04-03-2014, 12:25 AM
Wow, oyarde, five posts in a row? Now that's some record stuff right there pal.

As for King's assertions and those of others, it's all about each individual's situation. I'm technically on call and I'm salaried, but I work a little over 40 hours and take my full 30 minute break. Granted, I also work ten and a half hour night shifts, so no one gives me shit about not putting in more than 40 hours. My sacrifice in sleep is enough I hope. LOL , when I lived in Germany , I doubt I ever saw a skilled trade person ( who did not own a shop) work much more than 32 hrs a week.The work was dang good though ..... First guy I ever rented a house from ( it was his first house ) , was a Foreman @ the local brewery . This place was fabulous , Second story kitchen with extremely large dining room with a walk out balcony , over gardens and a huge outdoor grill . The dining room connected to the living room . Place was perfect for my weekly drunken BBQ , Risk Game invite to the guys I worked with , LOL