PDA

View Full Version : Who Else Felt Sorry for Tom Tancredo

KingTheoden
11-30-2007, 06:06 PM
At first I was rather miffed at his piling on in attacking Ron Paul during the debate (Ron Paul should have been allowed to respond). And to be clear, I have been very critical of Tancredo for his support of the REAL ID Act, torture, and his general inability to understand the whole of the immigration situation.

However, you cannot help but feel bad for the guy. I honestly think that he means well (unlike the other challengers to Ron Paul) and has been misled. The media hasn't paid attention to him either, which is unfair.

His YouTube ad seemed to have been encoded badly or not cleanly edited. I haven't seen anyone make fun and that's good because we're better than that. I kind of have this image of him with his son working on the computer trying to edit together the three news clips available. When the camera panned to him, he genuinely seemed proud of the ad (and message).

If there is anything we should be accustomed to, it is defeat. I think it is fair to predict that his candidacy is not going to endure, so we should already make Tancredo and his supporters feel welcome in our house.

RonPaulFTFW
11-30-2007, 06:09 PM
after i saw that stupid scare ad of his i could care less.

but yes, his supporters are welcome here.

apc3161
11-30-2007, 06:14 PM
Yea, there is a difference between disagreeing with a person and their views and not liking/respecting them.

For instance, some of my best friends and I have completely different opinions, but that doesn't mean I don't respect them.

I try to get along with and respect everyone who is a genuine and decent person, even if we don't see eye to eye on everything.

I definitely sympathize with the Tancredo campaign in the sense that the media doesn't treat him fairly.

TooConservative
11-30-2007, 06:19 PM
Tancredo is reliably small-government and anti-tax.

His support for the Second Amendment wavered only slightly even after the massacre at that high school in his own district.

He has been fearless on the border/illegals issue. When no one was talking about it, he took the lead. It wouldn't be the issue it is now if it weren't for Tancredo.

It's anticipated he'll drop out soon and many of his supporters in NH are said to have signaled that they will come over to the Paul campaign then. So let's be welcoming. They're certainly not our enemies.

tonyr1988
11-30-2007, 06:20 PM
I loved Tancredo's response to the NASA question. My respect for him tripled after I heard that. He's no Paul, but he's the second-closest on the stage.

ItsTime
11-30-2007, 06:22 PM
Didn't they introduce him and mispronounce his name?

Hope
11-30-2007, 06:23 PM
I like him for all the reasons mentioned above. I'd probably be voting for him if not for RP. We should remember too that Ron has called him a good friend who he has a lot of respect for. Tancredo's supporters are more than welcome here, IMHO.

reaver
11-30-2007, 06:26 PM
The main problem with his campaign is he chose to stick to his guns about protecting the border. The more you want to do about the border the less airtime you get... isn't this about right? I felt for Tom, yeah.

john_anderson_ii
11-30-2007, 06:36 PM
I loved Tancredo's response to the NASA question. My respect for him tripled after I heard that. He's no Paul, but he's the second-closest on the stage.

I'm glad he had the guts to say it.

I'm a space nerd. I want us to go to mars, and I want us to push the exploration envelope. I was enthralled for months when Cassini-Huygens entered Saturn's orbit.

I don't think America can afford it right now. We have to tighten our belt for a while. I think eventually the government should fund specific research portions of it, in the areas where exploration intersects with defense for example. The rest can be funded as consumer markets open up. However, this could be a chicken egg scenario. Consumer markets don't open up until we reach milestones in space, and we can't reach those milestone's until there is funding.

I know there will be some who think the government should put $0 into space exploration, and to them I say this: The longer our species occupies only one planet, the higher our probability of extinction becomes. Eventually, that probability will reach one.

koob
11-30-2007, 06:37 PM
I feel bad for Tancredo everyday. Some days I feel like donating to his campaign out of pity.

Kuldebar
11-30-2007, 06:43 PM
The main problem with his campaign is he chose to stick to his guns about protecting the border. The more you want to do about the border the less airtime you get... isn't this about right? I felt for Tom, yeah.

Nah, his biggest flaw is that he is a believer in the GWoT.

pacelli
11-30-2007, 06:51 PM

I'm a space nerd. I want us to go to mars, and I want us to push the exploration envelope. I was enthralled for months when Cassini-Huygens entered Saturn's orbit.

Right on, I'm in the same boat :) I'm still praying that we start getting some details of the US Air Force space program within the century :)

allyinoh
11-30-2007, 06:55 PM
I don't pity him.. He's where Ron Paul started but his campaign just hasn't picked up like RP's has.

I do like Tancredo, and I heard he's good friends with Ron Paul. I would suggest when RP wins the Presidency he puts Tancredo in charge of something.

Tancredo is just another level of RP, his heart is in the right place, he just isn't a big guy like Mitt and Guiliani, etc so he doesn't get the level of play they do.

sparebulb
11-30-2007, 06:56 PM
I like Tancredo. We owe much credit to him for keeping the heat on about illegal immigration.

sirachman
11-30-2007, 06:57 PM
Everybody should call the Tancredo campaign and tell him that while you are a supporter of rival cantidage Ron Paul you wanted to congradulate him on his debate performance and that you think it is shameful the small amount of time he was given to speak.

Not only is this true but it is a nice thing to do which will make him feel more friendly towards Ron Paul's supporters.

I just did this and you probably should too.

lbadragan
11-30-2007, 07:00 PM
Didn't they introduce him and mispronounce his name? Yeah, that guy called him Cancredo.

paulgirl
11-30-2007, 07:12 PM
TT is a stand-up guy, and unlike the rest of the candidates (besides RP), is honest and forthright.

I liked him best before I knew Ron was running. I don't really agree with him on the war, but I don't totally agree with Ron either. -- I don't think we should be "talking and trading and traveling" with the mideast because it just isn't the same as southeast asia (where I have traveled quite a bit) Muslim fanatics are crazy no matter what and we should have nothing to do with them. Asian commies are whores no matter what, and will do whatever reforms it takes if they think it will bring them more money.

Spirit of '76
11-30-2007, 07:18 PM
I've always kind of liked Tancredo.

allyinoh
11-30-2007, 07:22 PM
Everybody should call the Tancredo campaign and tell him that while you are a supporter of rival cantidage Ron Paul you wanted to congradulate him on his debate performance and that you think it is shameful the small amount of time he was given to speak.

Not only is this true but it is a nice thing to do which will make him feel more friendly towards Ron Paul's supporters.

I just did this and you probably should too.

I agree! We understand how it was when RP was first starting.. It was not as big as it is now. TT just can't get off the ground because his message isn't as strong, but I am definitely going to call and let them know!

voytechs
11-30-2007, 07:34 PM
after i saw that stupid scare ad of his i could care less.

but yes, his supporters are welcome here.

I totally agree. I had some sympathy for him, especially after I heard Dr. Paul say that he could possibly endorse Tancredo if he didn't win the nomination, because he attends his congressional luncheaons. But after the ad, it made me sick and now I just want him to go away. If he is in anywat decent, then he is also very very dumb for making such an ad.

Spirit of '76
11-30-2007, 07:38 PM
The ad wasn't bad. It makes a good point about our borders being undefended.

Wasn't nearly as good as Pat's meatball ad, though:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=pUgTDmD4vW4

Flash
11-30-2007, 07:44 PM
I like Tancredo. I hope he'll endorse Ron Paul if he decides to drop out. I definently think he should be in RP's cabinent or something.

devil21
11-30-2007, 07:46 PM
I like Tancredo. I hope he'll endorse Ron Paul if he decides to drop out. I definently think he should be in RP's cabinent or something.

Make Tancredo head of ICE (for as long as it exists lol). Perfect position for him I think.

noztnac
11-30-2007, 08:08 PM
Urge Tom Tancredo to endorse Ron Paul. info@teamtancredo.org

Of course don't phrase it like that. TACT! Just be nice.

DRV45N05
11-30-2007, 08:45 PM

I don't think America can afford it right now. We have to tighten our belt for a while. I think eventually the government should fund specific research portions of it, in the areas where exploration intersects with defense for example. The rest can be funded as consumer markets open up. However, this could be a chicken egg scenario. Consumer markets don't open up until we reach milestones in space, and we can't reach those milestone's until there is funding.

I know there will be some who think the government should put $0 into space exploration, and to them I say this: The longer our species occupies only one planet, the higher our probability of extinction becomes. Eventually, that probability will reach one.

The thing is, should people be forced to fund NASA through income taxes?

I say fund it through excise taxes. NASA's FY2008 budget is only about $17 billion, which could easily be funded through a very unburdensome excise tax. If people are serious about NASA, they can pay for it voluntarily and get what they demand.

jarmoore
11-30-2007, 10:24 PM
Paul/Tancredo 2008!

KingTheoden
11-30-2007, 11:22 PM
The ad wasn't bad. It makes a good point about our borders being undefended.

Wasn't nearly as good as Pat's meatball ad, though:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=pUgTDmD4vW4

To clarify, I didn't think it was bad. I just thought that the editing or encoding was off; my point was just that he does not really have the resources to make a slick video and for all I know he had to do it himself with his family.

I don't think he would be a good choice for VP, but certainly should have a seat in Ron Paul's cabinet. And I just wish he would gain a more overarching view of the immigration issue.

I agree with the previous posters, let's call his campaign and offer our good wishes :)

Benaiah
11-30-2007, 11:22 PM
I feel bad for Tancredo everyday. Some days I feel like donating to his campaign out of pity.

don't be a n00b, koob.

Sorry, I just like to say n00b.

Ginobili
11-30-2007, 11:26 PM
In all honesty, I really do feel sorry for him 2. Like yall have said, he is in the same boat we were, but he just cant get it afloat. I think I too will call and offer some support.

Ron Paul in 2008
12-01-2007, 12:03 AM
I definitely feel sorry for Tancredo. He is a really nice man and while I disagree with him on the war, his heart is in the right place. I would vote for him if Ron Paul wasn't in the race.

kylejack
12-01-2007, 12:09 AM
He's not all innocent. Nuke Mecca.

RonPaulwillWin
12-01-2007, 08:21 PM
LOL, I had the same exact feeling. Poor guy....he should just endorse Ron Paul, then I won't feel bad for him because everybody would like him including me. :)

fortilite
12-01-2007, 08:27 PM
Like him better than most of the candidates, would love for him to come aboard.

inibo
12-01-2007, 09:10 PM
He reminds me of this guy too much to inspire any other feeling than mirth

http://www.webpan.com/thelaughin/images/show/henry_gibson/laugh-in_henry_gibson.jpg

voytechs
12-01-2007, 09:21 PM
To clarify, I didn't think it was bad. I just thought that the editing or encoding was off; my point was just that he does not really have the resources to make a slick video and for all I know he had to do it himself with his family.

I don't think he would be a good choice for VP, but certainly should have a seat in Ron Paul's cabinet. And I just wish he would gain a more overarching view of the immigration issue.

I agree with the previous posters, let's call his campaign and offer our good wishes :)

I thought the ad was in very very poor taste. I lost all respect for Tancredo after watching it.

voytechs
12-01-2007, 09:27 PM

I'm a space nerd too and had mixed feelings about Dr. Paul's stance on NASA. But after thinking about how hard it is to get into space for private companies, not because of fuel, techonology but because of regulation and monopoly that NASA holds, this kind of policy change would really open up the market for free enterprise. And if you ever want to go into space yourself, what better way to lower the price of a space ticket then open up free market competition. I think NASA is really holding us back.

http://http://voytechs.com/Astronomy/My_Equipment/DSC_1100.JPG

Ron LOL
12-01-2007, 09:29 PM
Why should we feel sorry for him? He had the best line of the night, and possibly the entire republican primary race.

"They're trying to out-Trancredo Tancredo."

:D

HOLLYWOOD
12-02-2007, 01:59 PM
After the post debate interview... this guy is so lost, he was straining for reasoning and words.

When you listen and watch ALL these candidates very closely... they reveal their true colors sooner or later. When they lie or don't have the facts to back themselves up, the lies and "memorized responses" are exposed!

Tancredo is done... Stick a fork in him!

THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN... WE THE PEOPLE!

boberino
12-02-2007, 02:15 PM
Immigration is to Tancredo like 9/11 is to Giuliani.

Also, Tommyboy signed his media execution order when he suggested bombing Mecca and Medina at an earlier debate.

RickSp
12-02-2007, 02:15 PM
Anyone who recommends nuking the holy cities of Islam ( or nuking anyone's holy cities for that matter) deserves only my contempt.

KingTheoden
12-02-2007, 02:18 PM
He's not all innocent. Nuke Mecca.

And I was stunned by the comment. I think he is the type that talks three steps before thinking; obviously that comment was absurd, as was his Jack Bauer one.

But I think he is simply an example of a good person being totally brainwashed by the neocon mantra. Let's be honest, a lot of us were there a few years ago (such as myself). I readily admit, and am sorry for such, I was a vocal advocate to friends in 2001-2002 of launching a thermonuclear strike on most of the Middle East. Indeed, I had an epiphany and realized how wrong I was and how warped I had become.

I'm just saying he is not 'one of them' and can come back around. Again, I really like the idea of us calling his campaign this week to offer kind words (can go a long way in gaining his endorsement).

split_lipz
12-02-2007, 03:22 PM
He's done. I really don't feel sorry for him. He's a bad debater and has ran a bad campaign.

I do respect him and hope he endorses Ron Paul, but I don't feel sorry for him.

Dequeant
12-02-2007, 05:00 PM
I say fund it through excise taxes. NASA's FY2008 budget is only about $17 billion, which could easily be funded through a very unburdensome excise tax. If people are serious about NASA, they can pay for it voluntarily and get what they demand.

Just fund it with an extremely small sales tax on products that can directly be attributed to NASA. Freeze dried foods, velcro, computers........and just about everything else we use today.

You can even make it optional.....i do believe NASA is a tax worthy of its existence, unlike so many others.