PDA

View Full Version : Weigel: "Paul, Inc."

RonPaulFanInGA
04-01-2014, 10:48 AM
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2014/03/rand_paul_mike_rothfeld_and_direct_mail_inside_pau l_inc_s_fundraising_machine.html

Same term many here like to throw around.

FSP-Rebel
04-01-2014, 11:16 AM
Nat'l RTW-> Paul staffers->Saber Communications/direct mail-> "Shadowy fundraising ops" -> big whoop. Throw in a little of that Sorenson nonsense for good measure and some of the lefty loonies will suck it right up along side their Koch brother hysteria. Clearly, Weigel speigel has a similar MO on the left as Rubin does from the lunatic right: be a Rand Paul ankle biter.

angelatc
04-01-2014, 11:22 AM
I am probably not going to read it. Is he implying that the Paul machine is somehow dramatically and objectionably different than any other fundraising machine?

specsaregood
04-01-2014, 11:25 AM
I am probably not going to read it. Is he implying that the Paul machine is somehow dramatically and objectionably different than any other fundraising machine?

Yes, they are shadowy, unrestrained freemarket guys who hate unions. ooga booga

TheTyke
04-01-2014, 11:34 AM
Just a rehash of the Iowa establishment attacks and hate for Right to Work and National Association for Gun Rights. Not even any new material... lol

AuH20
04-01-2014, 11:36 AM
How else do you expect him to generate a billion dollars for a successful presidential campaign? LOL This piece is hilarious. Rand didn't write the ridiculous rules of the game.

brandon
04-01-2014, 11:36 AM
Yes. Was built on outsider conservative direct mail campaigns, but now (since filibuster) Paul has the opportunity to leave them behind and build from mainstream campaign guys.

I dunno I thought it was interesting.

eleganz
04-01-2014, 01:24 PM
Quote the article and break the link. But since you broke it I'm not gonna give them th click.

ObiRandKenobi
04-01-2014, 01:26 PM
dave weigl is a dick

angelatc
04-01-2014, 01:33 PM
Yes. Was built on outsider conservative direct mail campaigns, but now (since filibuster) Paul has the opportunity to leave them behind and build from mainstream campaign guys.

I dunno I thought it was interesting.

Based on my personal experience, I do not think that Paul has abandoned the direct mail campaign....

specsaregood
04-02-2014, 04:17 PM
Interesting the timing of this stupid piece considering I just got this in my email box:

Dear Ralph,

Earlier today I introduced the National Right to Work Act as an amendment.

And a vote could come at any moment.

That's why I'm counting on your immediate action to help me turn up the pressure on my colleagues to force a vote on this crucial amendment.

You see, with control of Congress up for grabs this November, you and I need to get every member of the Senate on the record.

Ralph, I couldn't imagine any Senator heading home to meet the voters and trying to explain why they voted against an amendment supported by nearly 80% of the American people.

So I hope you'll sign your emergency "End Forced Unionism" emergency fax petition right away.

This amendment is our best chance to halt forced union dues being used to elect tax-and-spend politicians like Barack Obama, Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi.

But it's going to take a flood of grassroots support to force an on-the-record vote on my amendment.

Your action has made the difference before.

In fights to stop the national gun registry and President Obama's march to war in Syria, your action turned the tide when all the so-called "experts" claimed victory was beyond our reach.

A vote could come at any moment so please take action immediately by signing your "End Forced Unionism" emergency fax petition immediately.

In Liberty,

Senator Rand Paul (R - Kentucky)

P.S. Earlier today I introduced the National Right to Work Act as an amendment.

It sounds like Weigel got some advance notice that Randal was going to introduce this. Or did Randal introduce it as a response to Weigels article? Or coincidence I suppose.

anaconda
04-02-2014, 04:36 PM
Based on my personal experience, I do not think that Paul has abandoned the direct mail campaign....

Every piece I get goes straight into the recylcle. In the age of PCs, I'm surprised there is any net value in mail solicitations.

KingNothing
04-02-2014, 04:40 PM
Nat'l RTW-> Paul staffers->Saber Communications/direct mail-> "Shadowy fundraising ops" -> big whoop. Throw in a little of that Sorenson nonsense for good measure and some of the lefty loonies will suck it right up along side their Koch brother hysteria. Clearly, Weigel speigel has a similar MO on the left as Rubin does from the lunatic right: be a Rand Paul ankle biter.

Weigel is weird. He posts drivel like this that is total nonsense, but he also posts some good stuff about the Pauls, too.

He's kind of just a hack at this point.

KingNothing
04-02-2014, 04:42 PM

Yes, he implies that, but provides absolutely no evidence to support the implication. It's all just fluff.

So I tweeted that it was "another douchey article" and he finally blocked ,

specsaregood
04-02-2014, 04:43 PM
Every piece I get goes straight into the recylcle. In the age of PCs, I'm surprised there is any net value in mail solicitations.

My GMIL doesn't have a computer and reads every single word on those pages, at least twice.

NewRightLibertarian
04-02-2014, 07:08 PM
Weigel is weird. He posts drivel like this that is total nonsense, but he also posts some good stuff about the Pauls, too.

Weigel was instrumental in pushing the newsletters bullshit back in 2008. He's always been a piece of trash.

RabbitMan
04-02-2014, 09:53 PM
It was weird, he basically attributed the money bombs and organization surrounding the fundraising in the 2007-8 and 2011-12 campaigns to Paul, inc. and all the elite, experienced direct-mail guys. Talk about clueless.

That was US silly!

Matt Collins
04-03-2014, 09:32 AM

Reporters are like that. This is why there is no such thing as a friendly reporter. The ones that are on your side will be forced to backstab you at some point merely to appear to remain credible and unbiased.

specsaregood
04-03-2014, 09:37 AM
Interesting the timing of this stupid piece considering I just got this in my email box:

It sounds like Weigel got some advance notice that Randal was going to introduce this. Or did Randal introduce it as a response to Weigels article? Or coincidence I suppose.

I think this cant be a coincidence. So much of this silly article was based around Randals links to the National Right To Work committee; and it comes out only 1 day before he submits a NRTW amendment? I would really like to think that Randal submitted the amendment as an in your face response to this article.

William Tell
04-03-2014, 09:41 AM
I hate that term. Weigel and Wenzel, same crap... Oh my!

angelatc
04-03-2014, 09:43 AM

In my somewhat limited experience, direct mail reaps more reward than email solicitations.

RonPaulFanInGA
04-03-2014, 04:18 PM
Weigel and Wenzel, same crap... Oh my!

Same stupid buzz term, yep.