PDA

View Full Version : NY-Police ticket volunteer search party after claiming “no resources” to look for missing man

Anti Federalist
03-31-2014, 12:06 AM
Police ticket volunteer search party after claiming “no resources” to help look for missing man

http://www.policestateusa.com/2014/search-party-ticketed/

HARRIMAN STATE PARK, NY — New York resident Peretz Sontag had been missing since March 14 after making references to harming himself before he left home that day. The body of the 50-year-old father of seven was found inside his car in an upstate New York park in a ravine. Sontag was found last week by a hiker in Harriman State Park, the same area where at least fifty volunteers had desperately searched for him, until New York State Parks Police ticketed many of them for trespassing and illegally parked vehicles. More than 30 such tickets were issued to volunteers by two officers of the Park Police.

During the 10 days that Sontag was missing the family issued a $30,000 reward. Many searching believed they would find Sontag in Harriman State Park, as it was his last-known location. When his cellphone was pinged by police the location included the park. The park, however, only had two Park Police officers. When the organizers of the volunteers search efforts reached out to the Park Police to assist with the search, they refused. The Park Police claimed they could not take part in the search as they “did not have enough resources.” Of course, the Park Police had the resources to issue tickets.

“It’s dispiriting to say the least, and outrageous to be frank, that a law enforcement agency would be ticketing volunteers instead of giving them a helping hand.”

Volunteers of United Search and Rescue stated that on numerous occasions, and numerous days, they attempted to search the exact area where Sontag was found, but they were turned away by the Park Police. “It’s dispiriting to say the least, and outrageous to be frank, that a law enforcement agency would be ticketing volunteers instead of giving them a helping hand,” stated community spokesman Yossi Gestetner.

Park Police defended the tickets, claiming that “volunteers were instructed to abide by all park rules and to call police if special assistance was needed.”

Town Councilman Daniel Friedman, a local politician, was disturbed by these tickets. He stated that any volunteer ticketed while participating in the search should directly email him at FriedmanD@Ramapo-ny.gov and he will appeal to the New York State Police to have all these tickets dismissed.

phill4paul
03-31-2014, 12:16 AM
Theye don't have time for that. More importantly theye don't have the manpower to watch over you if you have time for that.

Mani
03-31-2014, 12:34 AM
How could you expect them to help out with the search? They had SOO many illegal parking tickets to give. They were swamped.

Weston White
03-31-2014, 01:03 AM
Don’t you just love the concept that a recreational park actually needs its own laws and police agency? As if the surrounding locality didn’t have enough of both already. Exactly, what does that speak to us as a civilized society?

Mani
03-31-2014, 01:37 AM
Don’t you just love the concept that a recreational park actually needs its own laws and police agency? As if the surrounding locality didn’t have enough of both already. Exactly, what does that speak to us as a civilized society?

Every govt land, building, area, now needs it's own police.

Park Police, School Police, police to guard monuments, police to guard every gov't building, etc.

Every asset of the gov't needs it's own police now.

Not only do they OWN everything....they need it all policed as well. Otherwise that would be too much freedom.

Occam's Banana
03-31-2014, 02:06 AM
“It’s dispiriting to say the least, and outrageous to be frank, that a law enforcement agency would be ticketing volunteers instead of giving them a helping hand,” stated community spokesman Yossi Gestetner.

LEOs do NOT exist to give anyone a "helping hand."
They exist in order to collect revenues & enforce rules.
And now you know, Mr. Gestetner - but will you remember?

tod evans
03-31-2014, 04:15 AM
LEOs do NOT exist to give anyone a "helping hand."
They exist in order to collect revenues & enforce rules.
And now you know, Mr. Gestetner - but will you remember?

Mr. Gestetner is omnipotent, he'll singlehandedly change both the purpose and focus of LEO's....:rolleyes:

pcosmar
03-31-2014, 07:17 AM
Exactly, what does that speak to us as a civilized society?

That the very concept of "civilized society" is highly overrated.

oyarde
03-31-2014, 08:18 AM
What is the penalty for not paying a park parking ticket ?

Intoxiklown
03-31-2014, 08:22 AM

Contempt of court, bench warrant, jail.

Tod
03-31-2014, 08:49 AM
vindictive gov't employees upset that people would recognize that they can accomplish things rather than grovelling at the feet of government offering money to have the problem taken care of for them.

kahless
03-31-2014, 08:57 AM
There are miles and miles of highway through Harriman with plenty of room on either side to park but no you can only park in designated areas and have to walk for miles to get to where you really want to be.

I live close to these parks but stopped going years ago because of all the stupid rules and looking out for the police just got all too aggravating. They chase you at dusk which is the best time for fishing.

Pretty sick that they took it this far and are standing by it.

More here
http://www.lohud.com/story/news/local/rockland/2014/03/24/sontag-harriman-volunteers-parking-tickets-park-police/6847569/

oyarde
03-31-2014, 09:18 AM
There are miles and miles of highway through Harriman with plenty of room on either side to park but no you can only park in designated areas and have to walk for miles to get to where you really want to be.

I live close to these parks but stopped going years ago because of all the stupid rules and looking out for the police just got all too aggravating. They chase you at dusk which is the best time for fishing.

Pretty sick that they took it this far and are standing by it.

More here
http://www.lohud.com/story/news/local/rockland/2014/03/24/sontag-harriman-volunteers-parking-tickets-park-police/6847569/ I quit going to parks years ago as well . Too dangerous .

oyarde
03-31-2014, 09:28 AM
Kind of hard to enjoy catching some of the King's fish when you cannot turn your back .

kahless
03-31-2014, 09:55 AM
Kind of hard to enjoy catching some of the King's fish when you cannot turn your back .

That is about the way it feels.

Anti Federalist
03-31-2014, 10:30 AM
And every one of those cop shops need a SWAT team.

Park Police, School Police, police to guard monuments, police to guard every gov't building, etc.

Not only do they OWN everything....they need it all policed as well. Otherwise that would be too much freedom.

Henry Rogue
03-31-2014, 12:48 PM

Got to guard the Commons from the common. Don't ya know?

mad cow
03-31-2014, 01:29 PM

I live less than one mile from a beautiful free four boats at a time paved boat ramp with a ton of free parking on the Chesapeake Bay.After fishing,I could fire up a cigarette,then load my boat on the trailer and be home before finishing it.

I stopped fishing in the Bay over 10 years ago after being boarded damn near every time I went and often twice or more in the same day by the several enforcement entities patrolling the waters to make sure I was 'safe'.

Anti Federalist
03-31-2014, 01:34 PM
I live less than one mile from a beautiful free four boats at a time paved boat ramp with a ton of free parking on the Chesapeake Bay.After fishing,I could fire up a cigarette,load my boat on the trailer and be home before finishing it.

I stopped fishing in the Bay over 10 years ago after being boarded damn near every time I went and often twice or more in the same day by the several enforcement entities patrolling the waters to make sure I was 'safe'.

UnAmeriKan ingrate.

Thank those brave officers, right now, for their service and your freedom.

Anti Federalist
03-31-2014, 01:36 PM
http://www.policemag.com/_Images/news/M-News-DEStatePoliceBoat.jpg

asurfaholic
03-31-2014, 02:33 PM
I have yet to be stopped or boarded by marine patrol in my fishing / boating experience. Its only a matter of time though.

Especially due to my captain being a bit under aged.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v623/thebubba1018/E4CC148B-DF7A-4FD7-ADEE-BED170277A4E-2139-000001F158E0D4C8_zpsd2d6d873.jpg

Mani
03-31-2014, 10:05 PM

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?447852-Cancer-stricken-woman-arrested-on-warrant-for-failure-to-renew-dog-license

You could be arrested while going for ice cream...