PDA

View Full Version : GOP donors pledge to 'take down' Rand if he comes close to winning nomination

jct74
03-30-2014, 11:05 PM
GOP Hawks Worry Rand Paul Has Too Much Ron

Zeke J Miller
March 31, 2014

A group of Republican donors is pledging to stop the tea party favorite from winning the 2016 presidential nomination because of his more non-interventionist views on foreign policy

LAS VEGAS—Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul is hard at work laying the groundwork for an almost-certain presidential campaign in 2016, but as he broadens his support among libertarian and younger voters, there’s a budding counter-campaign to take him down if he becomes a threat to actually win the nomination.

At the Republican Jewish Coalition meeting in Las Vegas this weekend, Paul was nowhere to be found, but his presence was felt in the form of a straw man—and frequent worry. Speaker after speaker, from former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush to New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, laid into Paul’s more isolationist views on foreign policy beliefs. They never mentioned the lawmaker by name, but the message came across loud and clear.

On the margins of the conference, where attendees heard from four potential 2016 candidates who advocated for a strong American foreign policy and support for Israel, five donors huddled with a reporter pledged to reach into their deep pockets to ensure Paul doesn’t win the GOP nomination.

“The best thing that could happen is Ted Cruz and Rand Paul run and steal each others’ support,” said one of the donors, “but if not, we’ll be ready to take Paul down.”

Several prominent GOP donors at the conference suggested that Adelson, who spent more than $100 million backing Newt Gingrich and Mitt Romney in 2012, is likely to spend vast sums against Paul if he appears to be well positioned in the Republican primaries. Adelson’s spending is largely motivated by his strong concern for Israel, and Paul’s positions are may well put a target on his back.

read more:
http://time.com/43216/rand-paul-2016-rjc-sheldon-adelson/

RonPaulFanInGA
03-30-2014, 11:07 PM
This reminds me of Northern Kentucky Speaks.

Either way: "No army can stop an idea whose time has come."

phill4paul
03-30-2014, 11:09 PM
Hey, Teh Collinz, and other planners got it covered. They'll make up in GOP support from what they will shirk in grassroots support. They got this covered. Sit back. Donate. STFU. All is good.

WD-NY
03-30-2014, 11:12 PM
Wtf? Seriously??

(Even though I literally said they would in my last post, I was hoping to be proved wrong. #Ugh)

For those who post frequently on any of the conservative blogs like HotAir, TheBlaze, etc. whenever any of the bloggers intentionally try to gin up the Rand vs Cruz story line (like AllahPundit likes to do every chance he gets), consider firing back in the comments with the following quote + a request that the author explain why he's doing the establishment's dirt work by intentionally trying to turn Cruz and Rand supporters against one another:

“The best thing that could happen is Ted Cruz and Rand Paul run and steal each others’ support,” said one of the donors, “but if not, we’ll be ready to take Paul down.”

Natural Citizen
03-30-2014, 11:12 PM
I don't see where foreign policy was analyzed at all in the paper. Much less Paul's view on it in scope. The author just typed the word foreign policy. So....what do they mean by his views on foreign policy? Foreign policy is broad. Heck, Paul has been extremely shallow himself in discussing foreign policy in whole so I don't see where there is really much to have their panties in a bunch about.

Seems like the usual suspects are using media to whine again.

jtstellar
03-30-2014, 11:56 PM
rand bitchers on this forum please go join them

--"At the Republican Jewish Coalition meeting in Las Vegas this weekend, Paul was nowhere to be found, but his presence was felt in the form of a straw man—and frequent worry. Speaker after speaker, from former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush to New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, laid into Paul’s more isolationist views on foreign policy beliefs. They never mentioned the lawmaker by name, but the message came across loud and clear." --see you on the other side

phill4paul
03-31-2014, 12:05 AM
rand bitchers on this forum please go join them

Well, these are your forums after all so.......

Cleaner44
03-31-2014, 12:25 AM
Tough crap for them because this time around it will be Rand that will be seen as the electable candidate by the masses. No one but Paul is still in effect.

Anti-Neocon
03-31-2014, 12:41 AM
What a surprise - Zionists controlling the GOP. But if you dare bring it up, you're a "vicious anti-Semite"!

thoughtomator
03-31-2014, 01:51 AM
What a surprise - Zionists controlling the GOP. But if you dare bring it up, you're a "vicious anti-Semite"!

More Fascist than Zionist, I'd wager. We'll see how much control they actually have. I bet its a lot less than they are counting on.

Dianne
03-31-2014, 02:49 AM
More Fascist than Zionist, I'd wager. We'll see how much control they actually have. I bet its a lot less than they are counting on.

Keep in mind who Adelson's candidate was last time around - Newt Gingrich. It appears Adelson is a legend in his own mind, and nothing else.

LibertyEagle
03-31-2014, 05:14 AM
Hey, Teh Collinz, and other planners got it covered. They'll make up in GOP support from what they will shirk in grassroots support. They got this covered. Sit back. Donate. STFU. All is good.

WTF is your problem? Are you still living in the la la land that there are enough of us to win? Damn straight they have to win over a lot of mainstream Republicans. If you cannot see that, you are f'ing blind.

jjdoyle
03-31-2014, 06:18 AM
WTF is your problem? Are you still living in the la la land that there are enough of us to win? Damn straight they have to win over a lot of mainstream Republicans. If you cannot see that, you are f'ing blind.

Well, if Rand has your attitude, I don't think he has much of a chance at winning over mainstream Republicans. After all, it's your way, or the highway. LOL.

jurgs01
03-31-2014, 06:52 AM
How helpless are these guys going to feel when they waste all of their money and we make gains in 2014 and win the presidency in 2016?

F them. I will put in so much effort they will be defeated.

limequat
03-31-2014, 07:02 AM
How helpless are these guys going to feel when they waste all of their money and we make gains in 2014 and win the presidency in 2016?

F them. I will put in so much effort they will be defeated.

It's gonna feel great to watch them waste all their money.

LibertyEagle
03-31-2014, 08:21 AM
//

philipped
03-31-2014, 08:44 AM
All I gotta say is.........BRING IT ON!

trey4sports
03-31-2014, 08:50 AM
looks like his 100 million really got newts campaign off the ground....

Arklatex
03-31-2014, 08:50 AM
That dude wasted 100 millon on meet and mitt let him do it again. We know their priorities numero uno is no rand so they covertly support HillAry and Cruz to splinter from Paul or they try to influence Cruz with their power money to join their ranks, if Paul picks Cruz as vice which I hope he picks Mike Lee or massive they think about murder

anaconda
03-31-2014, 09:31 AM
This is good that those establishment ghouls are out in the open about going to war with Rand Paul. If the knowledge of their monied media tactics becomes well-known it may discredit their efforts, possibly to the point of backfiring. Rand may have to take a page from the Alex Jones/Webster Tarpley/James Trafficant playbook and start explaining to the American voters how their corrupt world really works. I don't believe this has ever been attempted in a campaign, at least on a national level. Ron Paul didn't even dare touch it with a ten foot pole. Rand might be able to pull it off.

AuH20
03-31-2014, 09:37 AM
I told you. Primary will be magnitudes tougher than the general election.

http://www.thosefunnypictures.com/resize.php?file=pictures/6721/Funny_Pictures_6721.jpg

AuH20
03-31-2014, 09:42 AM
Wtf? Seriously??

(Even though I literally said they would in my last post, I was hoping to be proved wrong. #Ugh)

For those who post frequently on any of the conservative blogs like HotAir, TheBlaze, etc. whenever any of the bloggers intentionally try to gin up the Rand vs Cruz story line (like AllahPundit likes to do every chance he gets), consider firing back in the comments with the following quote + a request that the author explain why he's doing the establishment's dirt work by intentionally trying to turn Cruz and Rand supporters against one another:

Yup. The Cruz haters don't understand that Cruz is just as persona non grata in the smoke-filled rooms as Paul! Remember that the establishment never wanted Cruz either as senator. Dewhurst was the annointed one.

AuH20
03-31-2014, 09:46 AM
Santorum will be exclusively funded by these elites to SOLELY tear down Rand Paul on the debate stage.

AuH20
03-31-2014, 09:49 AM
That dude wasted 100 millon on meet and mitt let him do it again. We know their priorities numero uno is no rand so they covertly support HillAry and Cruz to splinter from Paul or they try to influence Cruz with their power money to join their ranks, if Paul picks Cruz as vice which I hope he picks Mike Lee or massive they think about murder

Here's the problem. Theoretically, they have enough money and minions to destroy Rand Paul with falsehoods, however if they do this, they will permanently fracture the party for good. They have a decision to make. Destroy Rand Paul as well as the golden goose?

cajuncocoa
03-31-2014, 09:54 AM
I knew this would be a problem.

He's not enough like his Dad to satisfy the purists here....to compensate, his most vocal supporters try to convince us he's just like Ron, only better!

Now he has to try to convince the establishment money-types that he's nothing like Ron (Ron who???)

He's going to have to choose sides...does he go with those who want him to be like Ron, or those who don't? We're (those of us who have a preference for Ron) constantly reminded that there are many more who don't want anything to do with Ron, and he needs them to win.

Guess who will be thrown under the bus?

Now, I'll sit back and await the neg-rep from Liberty Eagle that most certainly will come.

KingNothing
03-31-2014, 09:57 AM
Well, my only surprise here is that they're not being secret about it.

cajuncocoa
03-31-2014, 09:58 AM
Yup. The Cruz haters don't understand that Cruz is just as persona non grata in the smoke-filled rooms as Paul! Remember that the establishment never wanted Cruz either as senator. Dewhurtst was the annointed one.I don't care who else doesn't like Cruz....he tries much harder than Rand to ingratiate himself with the wrong kind of people. I don't trust him.

KingNothing
03-31-2014, 10:00 AM

He's not enough like his Dad to satisfy the purists here....to compensate, his most vocal supporters try to convince us he's just like Ron, only better!

Now he has to try to convince the establishment money-types that he's nothing like Ron (Ron who???)

He's going to have to choose sides...does he go with those who want him to be like Ron, or those who don't? We're (those of us who have a preference for Ron) constantly reminded that there are many more who don't want anything to do with Ron, and he needs them to win.

Now, I'll sit back and await the neg-rep from Liberty Eagle that most certainly will come.

The lunatic fringe here is a very small percentage of the country, as is the lunatic fringe in the GOP. Rand wins by being sensible and principled. A "sensible foreign policy," though not as hands-off as all of us would like is a GIGANTIC improvement over the current state of affairs, and is viewed in extremely favorable light by the voting public. If Rand delivers a message of peace through strength, and strength through non-intervention and very-selective-engagement, he'll win. If Rand takes sides with Putin, he doesn't stand a chance. If Rand advocates invading Iran, Syria and North Korea, his run is DOA.

kahless
03-31-2014, 10:02 AM
Here's the problem. Theoretically, they have enough money and minions to destroy Rand Paul with falsehoods, however if they do this, they will permanently fracture the party for good. They have a decision to make. Destroy Rand Paul as well as the golden goose?

They will probably make it look to the average folks not playing close attention that Rand destroyed himself. I expect to hear some regurgitated Rand bashing talking point like that from those people if Rand loses.

If the establishment succeeds with Jeb I expect the media will go ridiculously as far as spinning him as Libertarian leaning and a liberty candidate to placate the idiots which they will in repeat like mindless automatons.

dinosaur
03-31-2014, 10:09 AM
Wtf? Seriously??

Yes! The Cruz-Paul battle needs to be diffused. The Cruz fans are being concern-trolled about Rand's foreign policy. Cruz might even be doing a little bit of that as well. But, at the end of the day, every Cruz supporter should be able to understand that we fall divided, and Rand has the best strategy of winning the general election.

Sola_Fide
03-31-2014, 10:11 AM
At the Republican Jewish Coalition meeting in Las Vegas this weekend... ....

jtstellar
03-31-2014, 10:17 AM
Hey, Teh Collinz, and other planners got it covered. They'll make up in GOP support from what they will shirk in grassroots support. They got this covered. Sit back. Donate. STFU. All is good. WTF is your problem? Are you still living in the la la land that there are enough of us to win? Damn straight they have to win over a lot of mainstream Republicans. If you cannot see that, you are f'ing blind.

probably an english-second kid living in financially troubled single parent household

AuH20
03-31-2014, 10:18 AM
http://edwardmd.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/goyim-born-to-serve-israel.jpg?w=300&h=168

surf
03-31-2014, 10:26 AM
They should have titled the article (and this thread, and their meetings) Hillary 2016

KingNothing
03-31-2014, 10:27 AM
Have people discussed the Jennifer Rubin hit piece on a two year old video of Rand discussing Iran yet?

I'm sure it's just a coincidence that she pushed that right as this Time article was published.

acptulsa
03-31-2014, 10:32 AM
Yo, Democrats. Rand Paul is the only person the GOP has who they can sell to this war-weary nation and you know it. So, as you see here, they're trying to throw the election to the Democratic nominee!

Now do you see your party for what it really is?

Check your local laws to see if you need to register Republican to help us elect a man of peace while there's still something left of the U.S. economy--and still a few people alive in the Middle East and Eastern Europe.

fisharmor
03-31-2014, 10:48 AM
The lunatic fringe here is a very small percentage of the country, as is the lunatic fringe in the GOP.

Wait, I thought we were stupid. Now we're lunatics. Which one is it, stupid, or lunatic?
Or both - are we stupid lunatics?

I admit I can't figure this out. Cajun and Phil and I have been spending all our time coming up with coherent arguments on the topic of Rand that I'm not sure we have been able to figure out which derogatory terms actually apply to us here.

Someone said something a couple years ago about how you don't need a majority to make changes, only an irate tireless minority.
I can't seem to remember who that was......................

georgiaboy
03-31-2014, 10:52 AM
It'll be interesting to see if the talk show heads bring this up and where they land.

Hillary 2016 - exactly right. disgusting.

Valli6
03-31-2014, 10:56 AM
To the pro-Israel crowd, Paul is viewed by many as different from his father, former Representative Ron Paul, whose positions had kept him from getting an invite to the conservative confab in prior years. Nevertheless concerns remain about the younger Paul, who was invited this year but did not attend.
Good for Rand, turning them down!

klamath
03-31-2014, 11:12 AM

Now, I'll sit back and await the neg-rep from Liberty Eagle that most certainly will come. They didn't have to spend 100 mil defeating Ron. Ron's views, campaign management and lousy interview techniques insured he would NEVER get above 10%. Yeaw let's get Rand to be exactly like Ron.:rolleyes: He couldn't even win his own freaking congressional district. He was beaten by a landslide there.
Hillary 2016.

LibertyEagle
03-31-2014, 11:17 AM

Here's a newsflash for you, Cajun. RON Paul isn't going to run. You don't seem to have gotten that through your head yet. Perhaps you are thinking he still has a chance to win the '12 election. lol

As far as who claimed that Rand was a lot like Ron on issues, it was RON WHO SAID IT.

AuH20
03-31-2014, 11:29 AM

Rand is about to get curbstomped by the establishment and you're concerned about lack of hugs from Rand Co.?

Tywysog Cymru
03-31-2014, 11:30 AM
The establishment is not the majority, the media is just very effective at distracting voters.

Mr.NoSmile
03-31-2014, 11:50 AM
Huh. Well, at least they're being pretty damn open about it. From a general perspective, it really just adds fuel to people who see the Republican Party as being at war with itself, with the old guard and the new tea party crowd. November will gauge who comes out on top, with McConnell saying that the tea party folks will be crushed. Hell, if Brannon manages to topple Tillis despite being in a crowded primary, and then later beat Hagan- all wishful thinking- then at least that's a small victory.

I'd say the gloves are off, but who are we kidding? They've been off this entire time.

KingNothing
03-31-2014, 11:53 AM
As long as Rand holds principled views that are in-line with a vocal plurality of voters, these neocon hacks can't hold him down. They can try to stop this tidal wave of change, but they won't succeed.

KingNothing
03-31-2014, 11:56 AM
Does anyone else think that going through all of this stuff now and basically campaigning for the presidency since the Stand With Rand filibuster, will make Rand a much stronger candidate? He seems like a guy who uses everything as a learning opportunity, and one who is willing to make tactical adjustments if necessary. All of this practice seems like it could really be beneficial in 2016.

Brett85
03-31-2014, 11:58 AM
I wonder who the establishment would support if Rand and Cruz ended up being the last two candidates in the race? That would be interesting.

KingNothing
03-31-2014, 11:58 AM
I admit I can't figure this out. Cajun and Phil and I have been spending all our time coming up with coherent arguments on the topic of Rand that I'm not sure we have been able to figure out which derogatory terms actually apply to us here.

"Well, he can't win over the entire neocon base, so he shouldn't even try to appeal to mainstream America" is about the furthest thing from a coherent argument you can find here.

Someone said something a couple years ago about how you don't need a majority to make changes, only an irate tireless minority.
I can't seem to remember who that was......................

And that irate minority was enough to win a war in 1776 but it certainly wasn't enough for the elder Paul to win an election. We need to broaden our base, not insulate ourselves to an even greater degree.

cajuncocoa
03-31-2014, 12:00 PM
Here's a newsflash for you, Cajun. RON Paul isn't going to run. You don't seem to have gotten that through your head yet. Perhaps you are thinking he still has a chance to win the '12 election. lol

As far as who claimed that Rand was a lot like Ron on issues, it was RON WHO SAID IT.Yes, yes...I know RON SAID IT.

Some are always reminding others here that what matters most is not what someone SAYS; it's what they DO that matters most.

KingNothing
03-31-2014, 12:00 PM
I wonder who the establishment would support if Rand and Cruz ended up being the last two candidates in the race? That would be interesting.

Cruz, and I don't think there's any doubt about it. Of course, he's much less likeable than Rand so the voting public would lean towards our guy. With that said, I believe Randy is the only Republican the establishment hacks dislike more than Cruz.

KingNothing
03-31-2014, 12:01 PM
Yes, yes...I know RON SAID IT.

Some are always reminding others here that what matters most is not what someone SAYS; it's what they DO that matters most.

And Rand's near flawless voting record certainly does lend credence to the fact that actions matter.

cajuncocoa
03-31-2014, 12:02 PM
I guess that means they're supporting Hillary by default...or maybe they'll support her because she'll do what they want done anyway, only under the Team Blue banner.

NIU Students for Liberty
03-31-2014, 12:03 PM

Which one is more likely to bomb a country?

cajuncocoa
03-31-2014, 12:05 PM
And Rand's near flawless voting record certainly does lend credence to the fact that actions matter.
Of course it does. I'm not criticizing Rand's voting record here. I'm not criticizing Rand at all. I'm criticizing the games that must be played in politics. Try to keep up.

Brett85
03-31-2014, 12:08 PM
Cruz, and I don't think there's any doubt about it. Of course, he's much less likeable than Rand so the voting public would lean towards our guy. With that said, I believe Randy is the only Republican the establishment hacks dislike more than Cruz.

I'm not so sure about that. I think they probably hate Cruz as much as Rand, and Cruz is far less electable than Rand, so it's possible they could choose to bite the bullet and go with Rand over Cruz.

AuH20
03-31-2014, 12:11 PM
I'm not so sure about that. I think they probably hate Cruz as much as Rand, and Cruz is far less electable than Rand, so it's possible they could choose to bite the bullet and go with Rand over Cruz.

Anyone that dares inteferes with the status quo is deemed the mortal enemy. Cruz and Rand are front and center in that regard.

KingNothing
03-31-2014, 12:24 PM

Cruz being less electable is why they'd go with him, in my opinion. He'd lose to Hillary, and they'd get a candidate they like.

CPUd
03-31-2014, 12:28 PM
If it were only Cruz and Rand left, we would see some old-school politics, like from the early 1900's. All the delegates would get unbound, and the convention would be a free-for-all.

fisharmor
03-31-2014, 12:41 PM
"Well, he can't win over the entire neocon base, so he shouldn't even try to appeal to mainstream America" is about the furthest thing from a coherent argument you can find here.

Look, I know you guys don't actually read what we write, and I'm pretty sure the other "haters" know it too, but you could at least not advertise.

We need to broaden our base, not insulate ourselves to an even greater degree.

Ok, great. I think Rand going to Berkeley was the wisest thing he's done so far. That broadens the base.
By stating principles that everyone on this board agrees with.

Nobody here (correct me if I'm wrong, guys & gals) believes that tailoring the message to the audience is a bad thing. Everyone here would agree that one of the things that probably doomed Ron from the start is that he wouldn't pay attention to who he was pissing off while he was talking to them.
Talk about civil liberties to Democrats, and talk about Obamacare to Republicans.
I'm with you there.

The thing my puny lunatic mind can't grasp is how broadening our base by saying things that most people on this board don't (or shouldn't, anyway) agree with amounts to actually broadening our base.

Jamesiv1
03-31-2014, 01:32 PM
the golden geese will change feathers but its still a goose.

if they destroy the GOP, they dump their money into the Democrats. When the dems are gone, they'll dump money into an independent or start a new party.

It's not the people, it's the process. Rotten to the core.

Maltheus
03-31-2014, 01:34 PM
It all comes down to the media, more than the donors. Will they black him out, as he rises in popularity, or will they let it play out, with some newscritters actually believing their own BS about him being an easier opponent than Jeb? It will be harder to do, than with his father, but I'm already seeing signs of it. The media is only playing with him right now, but the gloves come off once a few more TP candidates start throwing in. Then it's a simple exercise in divide and conquer.

Part of me would actually like to see a Clinton/Bush match-up, just because it would do more to fuel discontent and expose the left-right fraud in this country, better than anything Rand can do. Make the kiddies smoke the whole carton, to teach them not to do it again. It might also finally open the door for a 3rd party candidate to break through (not that I know of anyone good enough right now).

NIU Students for Liberty
03-31-2014, 01:46 PM
Anyone that dares inteferes with the status quo is deemed the mortal enemy. Cruz and Rand are front and center in that regard.

Cruz IS the status quo.

AuH20
03-31-2014, 01:58 PM
Cruz IS the status quo.

From your foreign policy perspective. Not to those running things. He's still an outsider. Do you think they will ever let someone reverse course?

limequat
03-31-2014, 02:33 PM
If Cruz was a friend of liberty, he would step aside for Rand in 2016. He is not and will not. He will get great sums of $$$ to fracture the "liberty" vote.

eleganz
03-31-2014, 04:23 PM
The "Hawks" WANT the libertarian base to abandon Rand Paul and sometimes it seems like they are getting just that.

One of the main reasons most of us supported Ron so much wasn't only because he said things we believed in, but he also bucked the establishment, REAL GOOD...

FSP-Rebel
03-31-2014, 04:27 PM
Between us and the big donors that Rand has been lining up, we'll be in good shape to take the message straight to the people over and above our legions will be everywhere and hard for the average person/republican voter to not deal with. The main problem for these other donors is that they can't feel mainstreet's pain and their paid talking points will meet with legendary amounts of eye rolls. Just like the average person is tired of the democrats playing the race card, so to is the republican base bored of anything coming out of Rove's minions and it's only trending further our way. As it is, Rand's lingo is transcending the scripted left-right debate in the key areas affecting peoples' lives. He owns the economic freedom zones concept now, the civil liberties heavyweight belt and is the only one trending w/ women and minorities. They're delusional and if they become too desperate and it becomes overly obvious which is how it sounds here, they're in for some real long term problems rather than just giving us our way and then profiting in the free market like anyone else. Only Rand's brand can restore this country and strengthen their petrodollar through real capitalism and responsibility.

puppetmaster
03-31-2014, 04:34 PM

Not true. He can communicate very well and that is where we win for liberty. No need to sell out just sell! Rand can sell. Just watch. The world is hungry for us now but it is all in the presentation.

cajuncocoa
03-31-2014, 04:40 PM
Not true. He can communicate very well and that is where we win for liberty. No need to sell out just sell! Rand can sell. Just watch. The world is hungry for us now but it is all in the presentation.
I don't doubt Rand's ability to communicate well.

satchelmcqueen
03-31-2014, 04:43 PM
and so the first factoid statement is said. they dont want a real leader. the game is certainly rigged.

acptulsa
03-31-2014, 04:45 PM
Between us and the big donors that Rand has been lining up, we'll be in good shape to take the message straight to the people over and above our legions will be everywhere and hard for the average person/republican voter to not deal with. The main problem for these other donors is that they can't feel mainstreet's pain and their paid talking points will meet with legendary amounts of eye rolls. Just like the average person is tired of the democrats playing the race card, so to is the republican base bored of anything coming out of Rove's minions and it's only trending further our way. As it is, Rand's lingo is transcending the scripted left-right debate in the key areas affecting peoples' lives. He owns the economic freedom zones concept now, the civil liberties heavyweight belt and is the only one trending w/ women and minorities. They're delusional and if they become too desperate and it becomes overly obvious which is how it sounds here, they're in for some real long term problems rather than just giving us our way and then profiting in the free market like anyone else. Only Rand's brand can restore this country and strengthen their petrodollar through real capitalism and responsibility.

Exactly.

Rand can play main street, and is the only one with real bipartisan appeal. I don't see any way they can hide the fact that he's the only potential Republican nominee that can win the general election. Any of them should be able to do it, with such a line of fiascos--highlighted by the Unaffordable Care Act--but only Rand can. And the fact that he chose to forego the special Senate health care and sign himself and his family onto Obamacare is no small part of the reason he's unbeatable if nominated.

Add in a concerted effort on our part to highlight the fact that the Roaring Twenties happened because we repealed a pile of Wilsonian Socialism, and the fact that Rand Paul can cause that to happen again, and we will resonate with just everyone. We could use an economic boom like the Roaring Twenties again. And only we libertarians know how to make it happen. It simply requires the three R's--Repeal, Repeal, Repeal!

There's much talk about how the powers that be won't let this happen. Our job is to not give them a choice. They have to have the veneer of legitimacy and respectability. They have to have it. If we cause push to come to shove, if we make it impossible for their talking heads to talk the voters out of doing what's good for them, we'll have our r3volution at long last. Count on it. It's that or destroy the legitimacy of the republic. I'm pretty sure they'd rather take a chance on being able to get control back later than risk armed rebellion now. I'm pretty darned sure.

And even if I'm wrong, we'll never spark an armed rebellion without forcing them to demonstrate in no uncertain terms that the republic is dead. So either way, we'll move the game forward.

DamianTV
03-31-2014, 05:25 PM
Vote for who "we" tell you that you are allowed to vote for? Sound about right?

mosquitobite
03-31-2014, 05:40 PM
If Cruz was a friend of liberty, he would step aside for Rand in 2016. He is not and will not. He will get great sums of $$$ to fracture the "liberty" vote.

Why is this so hard for some here to understand?

Cruz has been in the Senate exactly one year. Before that he was a lawyer for Bush. Rand had two years under his belt and Cruz comes to steal from that momentum. Why do we trust him???

Are we trying to elect another Obama?

limequat
03-31-2014, 07:47 PM
And even if I'm wrong, we'll never spark an armed rebellion without forcing them to demonstrate in no uncertain terms that the republic is dead. So either way, we'll move the game forward.

One of the hardest things for me to overcome was the defeatism that comes with libertarianism. "They" will never let xyz happen.
Well, "they" are not all-powerful. Close, but not quite. If "they" were all powerful, Ron Paul would have never been on TV. Snowden would still be working for the CIA. Rand would still be an optometrist.

"They" depend on public opinion and/or secrecy. The internet is steadily eroding both. So rage on. The enemy is not immortal.

KingNothing
03-31-2014, 07:52 PM
Cruz IS the status quo.

No he isn't. You really can't tell the difference between Cruz, and McCain and Graham, or even Rubio?

Look, Cruz is certainly no Paul, but c'mon. He's not McCain either.

limequat
03-31-2014, 07:59 PM
No he isn't. You really can't tell the difference between Cruz, and McCain and Graham, or even Rubio?

Wolf in sheep's clothing.
McCain is batshit crazy. In batshit crazy clothing.

Jamesiv1
03-31-2014, 08:11 PM
I don't see any way they can hide the fact that he's the only potential Republican nominee that can win the general election.
But the shenanigans - don't forget the shenanigans.

I predict we're going to see shenanigans on steroids come 2016.

- "oh my, we're experiencing technical difficulties"
- funny lady pic covering the microphone (that's been photoshopped to death lol)
- "we've got a top tier of candidates..." and it doesn't include the guy that's in the lead
- "oops. we lost the vote count from that county. sorry"

and so on.....

AuH20
03-31-2014, 08:12 PM

Cruz's voting record is incredibly diverse compared to those 4. He's anti-NDAA, anti-TARP and suspicious of the Federal Reserve. Yet we have loonies in here still comparing him to those aforementioned 4. Insanity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not saying that he's qualified to be POTUS or is deserving of votes from this forum, but the fiction invented about Cruz is simply startling. Then again these could be the same people who want Justin Amash to resign for his recent Crimea vote.

NIU Students for Liberty
03-31-2014, 08:27 PM

Foreign policy is the game changer. Cruz's economic talking points don't mean shit if he wants to throw money at the same bombing campaigns that McCain and Graham are cheering for. So yes, I put Cruz in the same vile category that I do with McCain and Graham. The only difference is that McCain and Graham are more upfront and to the point with their warmongering.

AuH20
03-31-2014, 08:31 PM
Foreign policy is the game changer. Cruz's economic talking points don't mean shit if he wants to throw money at the same bombing campaigns that McCain and Graham are cheering for. So yes, I put Cruz in the same vile category that I do with McCain and Graham. The only difference is that McCain and Graham are more upfront and to the point with their warmongering.

So he disagrees with you. Hence, he's "evil." Interesting philosophy you got there. I have no idea what lies in Ted Cruz's soul but that leap of logic (or lack thereof) isn't something I would feel comfortable with ascribing to someone else. You could simply say that you find Ted Cruz's foreign policy views as abhorrent, but apparently that's not enough. LOL He's got to be both cunning and evil. You know?

NIU Students for Liberty
03-31-2014, 08:40 PM
So he disagrees with you. Hence, he's "evil." Interesting philosophy you got there. I have no idea what lies in Ted Cruz's soul but that leap of logic (or lack thereof) isn't something I would feel comfortable with ascribing to someone else. You could simply say that you find Ted Cruz's foreign policy views as abhorrent, but apparently that's not enough. LOL

No, he's evil because he is in favor of stealing my money to kill innocent human beings.

But you got me, I shouldn't divulge these things publicly. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to cry.

http://media.tumblr.com/ea9f058d470c00882a65892549177185/tumblr_inline_mprzsqxtSG1qz4rgp.gif

AuH20
03-31-2014, 08:43 PM
No, he's evil because he is in favor of stealing my money to kill innocent human beings.

But you got me, I shouldn't divulge these things publicly. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to cry.

And I'm sure he's consumed with stealing more money so as to procure more armaments to kill more innocent human beings. That has to be at the top of his bucket list. He's not at all concerned with protecting national interests abroad. Very reasonable people will disagree with you & I on the proper international role of the U.S. and they are not necessarily "evil." It's the superpower syndrome that we're dealing with. One that has permeated our culture for a very long time.

NIU Students for Liberty
03-31-2014, 08:59 PM
He's not at all concerned with protecting national interests abroad

"If Iran acquires a nuclear weapon, the risk is unacceptable that that weapon will be detonated over the skies of Tel Aviv or New York or Los Angeles. And the result could be hundreds of thousands of lives lost,” Cruz said. “For the president to stand up and say he will oppose a large bipartisan majority in both houses of Congress because he so wants to cut a deal that’s going to endanger U.S. national security, I think that was perhaps the most dangerous line of the speech for the security of our nation.”

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/01/state-of-the-union-2014-ted-cruz-barack-obama-iran-102788.html

He threw a hissy fit over Obama not supporting sanctions against Iran. How is he not concerned with national interests?

Brett85
03-31-2014, 09:04 PM
"If Iran acquires a nuclear weapon, the risk is unacceptable that that weapon will be detonated over the skies of Tel Aviv or New York or Los Angeles. And the result could be hundreds of thousands of lives lost,” Cruz said. “For the president to stand up and say he will oppose a large bipartisan majority in both houses of Congress because he so wants to cut a deal that’s going to endanger U.S. national security, I think that was perhaps the most dangerous line of the speech for the security of our nation.”

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/01/state-of-the-union-2014-ted-cruz-barack-obama-iran-102788.html

He threw a hissy fit over Obama not supporting sanctions against Iran. How is he not concerned with national interests?

His comment was sarcastic. He was saying that Cruz is concerned about "national interests" abroad and not with killing innocent human beings.

TaftFan
03-31-2014, 09:04 PM
Rand needs to get the Koch brothers behind him.

NIU Students for Liberty
03-31-2014, 09:07 PM
His comment was sarcastic. He was saying that Cruz is concerned about "national interests" abroad and not with killing innocent human beings.

And even if that is the case, that still doesn't excuse his actions. Cruz isn't stupid, he knows damn well the consequences of his actions when it comes to drumming up war with Iran.

AuH20
03-31-2014, 09:17 PM
The following encapsulates the superpower syndrome that I speak of:

http://www.yourerie.com/news/news-article/d/story/rep-kelly-op-ed-calls-for-us-to-embrace-superpower/12375/RZjipyHNPEKf0iOOdW9KYw

Highlights from “Remembering who Americans are” by Rep. Kelly:

“Beneath Ukraine’s plight and Vladimir Putin’s aggression is an unmistakable elephant in the room; namely, an American superpower increasingly uncomfortable with its own identity and responsibilities.”

“’Peace through strength’ is transforming into ‘strength through reluctance.’ That reluctance is leading to retreat. The world senses it; our friends – from Israel to Poland to Taiwan – fear it; our enemies are counting on it. After all, a nation that cannot define itself cannot defend itself, or lead others.”

“Obsessed with fulfilling its own talking point that ‘the tide of war is receding,’ the Obama administration has decided that by disarming our defenses and retreating from the world, peace will somehow follow. History says otherwise.”

“From the renewed bloodshed in Afghanistan to the black flags of al Qaeda now waving in Iraq, from Iran’s march toward nuclear weapons to the ongoing civil war in Syria, when we fail to confidently lead, crises only worsen, and a heavy price – in blood, treasure and American credibility – is paid.”

“This administration – and whatever one comes next – must commit to reversing course. Above all, we must re-establish an America that our allies can depend upon and our enemies rightly fear.”

“Threats may evolve, and times may change, but our duty as a nation does not. On our shoulders rests the fate of human liberty. It’s the eternal price of being Americans, and successful presidents of previous ages from both parties have properly understood this.”

“If we forget who we are and forfeit our exceptional role as the world’s most important defender of democracy – regardless of the rationale – chaos, not peace, will follow. The crisis in Ukraine should remind all Americans that tyranny never rests, and neither can we. We have a duty to remind our friends and foes alike that freedom still has a friend in the United States.”

“If we truly want lasting peace and prosperity for ourselves and our friends, then we must embrace our hard-earned superpower status and defend freedom with the courage it deserves.”

AuH20
03-31-2014, 09:22 PM
And even if that is the case, that still doesn't excuse his actions. Cruz isn't stupid, he knows damn well the consequences of his actions when it comes to drumming up war with Iran.

The U.S. and Iran have been engaged in a fierce proxy war for years. Do you think it's suddenly going to stop? LOL It's been tit for tat for years. I still maintain that Iran does not constitute as a major national security threat due to it's lackluster military capabilities, but I still comprehend why certain politicians are irked by their boldness & rhetoric in the region, given their relative size.

anaconda
04-01-2014, 01:14 AM

I'll take a stab at this one: THE DEMOCRAT.

Vanguard101
04-01-2014, 01:50 AM

Lol you act as if Cruz doesn't have ambitions like Rand. Who doesn't want to be President? The prestige and impact it will have on your family is something you can't avoid. Like seriously, sure we are in a crisis, but Cruz still has GOALS.

Guitarzan
04-01-2014, 03:15 AM
Lol you act as if Cruz doesn't have ambitions like Rand. Who doesn't want to be President? The prestige and impact it will have on your family is something you can't avoid. Like seriously, sure we are in a crisis, but Cruz still has GOALS.

Yes, unfortunately, you are correct. Cruz has goals. Just as Rand has goals.

But we can dream, can't we?

There was a time, when Cruz was running, and Rand and Ron endorsed him, that I had hope that Cruz would be in this to truly change hearts and minds...as Rand and Ron are trying to do.

Rand and Ron are sincere in their attempts to create a paradigm shift in this country...and truly change the country, and the world, for the better. Their goal is to educate people for a new direction; to bring people together instead of dividing people; to truly change the world! This transformation dwarfs any presidency. It's a transformation of thought within millions, maybe even billions (I can dream, can't I?) of people. That is Rand's goal. The presidency, is just a means to that end for Rand.

I was hoping Cruz was with us on that, but you're right...he's not. He's just another over-ambitious self-centered politician who wants to be president for all the wrong reasons. Like you said, he's in it for the prestige and impact if will have on his family...like so many others.

And he will run and take votes from Rand. And he will hurt Rand somewhat. And it's all for himself. It's all about Ted Cruz.

But no matter. The office of presidency is dwarfed by an idea who's time has come. Rand is now the politician that is advancing that idea, and presidency or not...he will continue to forge ahead. And more and more people will follow, despite the present phonies like Ted Cruz.

Politics is always downstream from culture, and the culture is a changin'....and when the time is right, even the likes of the Ted Cruz's will be following, still hoping he can someday be president for all the wrong reasons.

i can dream, can't I?

Vanguard101
04-01-2014, 12:45 PM

There was a time, when Cruz was running, and Rand and Ron endorsed him, that I had hope that Cruz would be in this to truly change hearts and minds...as Rand and Ron are trying to do.

Rand and Ron are sincere in their attempts to create a paradigm shift in this country...and truly change the country, and the world, for the better. Their goal is to educate people for a new direction; to bring people together instead of dividing people; to truly change the world! This transformation dwarfs any presidency. It's a transformation of thought within millions, maybe even billions (I can dream, can't I?) of people. That is Rand's goal. The presidency, is just a means to that end for Rand.

I was hoping Cruz was with us on that, but you're right...he's not. He's just another over-ambitious self-centered politician who wants to be president for all the wrong reasons. Like you said, he's in it for the prestige and impact if will have on his family...like so many others.

And he will run and take votes from Rand. And he will hurt Rand somewhat. And it's all for himself. It's all about Ted Cruz.

But no matter. The office of presidency is dwarfed by an idea who's time has come. Rand is now the politician that is advancing that idea, and presidency or not...he will continue to forge ahead. And more and more people will follow, despite the present phonies like Ted Cruz.

Politics is always downstream from culture, and the culture is a changin'....and when the time is right, even the likes of the Ted Cruz's will be following, still hoping he can someday be president for all the wrong reasons.

i can dream, can't I?
You didn't understand me enough. Cruz wants to change the world just like the Pauls. The Pauls have ambitions just like Cruz. Cruz isn't some over-ambitious, self-centered politician. He wants to be president for the same reasons the Pauls do. Fame, legacy, impact, and of course to help America. That's EVERY presidents goal even if they are a puppet (Cruz is not a puppet). He will take votes away from Rand for legitimate reasons. It's like when Gary was running for president and taking votes from Paul. You paint Cruz in a horrible image for no reason at all. What's wrong with wanting to be President instead of your friend? Cruz will eventually dropout of the race and his votes will go to Paul anyways.

dinosaur
04-01-2014, 01:00 PM
You didn't understand me enough. Cruz wants to change the world just like the Pauls. The Pauls have ambitions just like Cruz. Cruz isn't some over-ambitious, self-centered politician. He wants to be president for the same reasons the Pauls do. Fame, legacy, impact, and of course to help America. That's EVERY presidents goal even if they are a puppet (Cruz is not a puppet). He will take votes away from Rand for legitimate reasons. It's like when Gary was running for president and taking votes from Paul. You paint Cruz in a horrible image for no reason at all. What's wrong with wanting to be President instead of your friend? Cruz will eventually dropout of the race and his votes will go to Paul anyways.

How can you pretend that this is just some competition for the best idea or candidate? This is an absolute constitutional emergency. Cruz has no chance in the general election, but has a very good chance of destroying our only hope. Selfish is an understatement.

Feeding the Abscess
04-01-2014, 01:08 PM

i can dream, can't I?

Rand hasn't undertaken the same mission as Ron. Rand's MO has been to work within an established framework and incrementally move things in a certain direction. Whether that's his true position or just a chosen task (I lean towards the former), his MO is pretty obvious.

mosquitobite
04-01-2014, 01:09 PM
What's wrong with wanting to be President instead of your friend? Cruz will eventually dropout of the race and his votes will go to Paul anyways.

Because his friend already had the momentum and he won't step out of the race until the establishment choice has enough states wrapped up because of the liberty/tea party split vote. How many times does this damn scenario have to play out for some people?

http://dailycaller.com/2014/03/06/how-ted-cruz-is-trying-to-outmaneuver-rand-paul/

First, a quick, if simplistic, explanation of the principle. Let’s say you open a hotdog stand on a beach — and let’s say that hotdog stand is built on what would be the 40 yard line (if the beach were a football field.) Now, based on this information, you might expect that if someone else wanted to open a second hotdog stand, they would open it on the other 40 yard line. That would be the polite thing to do, after all. It would give each of you some space to operate, right? Wrong. The new hotdog stand would most likely go on the 41 yard line — right next to yours.

The reason is simple. The other guy now controls about 60 percent of the beach, while you control 40 percent.

devil21
04-01-2014, 03:22 PM
This is good that those establishment ghouls are out in the open about going to war with Rand Paul. If the knowledge of their monied media tactics becomes well-known it may discredit their efforts, possibly to the point of backfiring. Rand may have to take a page from the Alex Jones/Webster Tarpley/James Trafficant playbook and start explaining to the American voters how their corrupt world really works. I don't believe this has ever been attempted in a campaign, at least on a national level. Ron Paul didn't even dare touch it with a ten foot pole. Rand might be able to pull it off.

The weakness of the ultra-Zionists is that they can't come out and just say to the American people (as a whole) what they're thinking and aiming for. They have to skirt around it with nonsense like "they hate us for our freedoms" and execute false flags to gin up support from the useful idiots. If Adelson put up money to run ads saying "Don't vote for Rand Paul. His FP view doesn't want to send Americans to die in foreign countries to protect Israel's goal of establishing "Greater Israel"!, it would expose what they're really up to and cause a backlash. All they have is tons of money to continue the stream of lies, misdirection, and manipulation toward that end goal.

The fact that Cruz' wife works for Goldman Sachs, was a CFR member, is closely connected to the Bush family, etc probably has a little something to do with it too.

Vanguard101
04-01-2014, 05:17 PM
The weakness of the ultra-Zionists is that they can't come out and just say to the American people (as a whole) what they're thinking and aiming for. They have to skirt around it with nonsense like "they hate us for our freedoms" and execute false flags to gin up support from the useful idiots. If Adelson put up money to run ads saying "Don't vote for Rand Paul. His FP view doesn't want to send Americans to die in foreign countries to protect Israel's goal of establishing "Greater Israel"!, it would expose what they're really up to and cause a backlash. All they have is tons of money to continue the stream of lies, misdirection, and manipulation toward that end goal.

The fact that Cruz' wife works for Goldman Sachs, was a CFR member, is closely connected to the Bush family, etc probably has a little something to do with it too.

And yet Rand and Ron Paul endorsed Ted Cruz. Cruz' wife works for Goldman Sachs and yet his campaign was still grassroots. Cmon... In fact, ALEX JONES ENDORSED TED CRUZ. Cruz has already condemned CFR and was put in the same area as Jones and Paul in Texas.

Because his friend already had the momentum and he won't step out of the race until the establishment choice has enough states wrapped up because of the liberty/tea party split vote. How many times does this damn scenario have to play out for some people?

http://dailycaller.com/2014/03/06/how-ted-cruz-is-trying-to-outmaneuver-rand-paul/
Name me 5 politicians who decided not to run so they could get their "friend" elected. Cruz has GOALS and just because his friend is already leading doesn't mean he should step aside. No1 does this ever. Not the establishment, not Gary Johnson, NO1. If you want to be President, and have a decent-strong chance, go for it.

limequat
04-01-2014, 05:20 PM

But YOU can do it with satire. Create Rand Paul opposition webpage and put all that on it. "Don't vote for Rand, he's not in AIPAC's pocket!"

cajuncocoa
04-01-2014, 07:01 PM
Let me put it this way: as critical as I've been of Rand, I've come to recognize the difference between Rand and the rest if the field. If Cruz would put his country above his own ambitions and personal goals, wouldn't he see how his entry in the 2016 GOP primary could hurt not only Rand but also America if his candidacy splits the liberty vote? Assuming Cruz convinces some fools that he's a liberty candidate, that is.

RandallFan
04-01-2014, 07:16 PM
Cruz will have to run first. Rubio for instance was never a serious candidate. He was never going to be able to win. He just wanted name recognition, Sundays talk shows and an email list.

Spikender
04-01-2014, 11:57 PM
GOP donors are still a thing nowadays?

I was hoping that would be a dying race.

devil21
04-02-2014, 02:14 AM
But YOU can do it with satire. Create Rand Paul opposition webpage and put all that on it. "Don't vote for Rand, he's not in AIPAC's pocket!"

You must have been a member of the Fred Thompson forum!

--------

(If I were a bettin man, I'd wager vanguard101 is compromise's new shill name)

Vanguard101
04-02-2014, 02:28 AM
Let me put it this way: as critical as I've been of Rand, I've come to recognize the difference between Rand and the rest if the field. If Cruz would put his country above his own ambitions and personal goals, wouldn't he see how his entry in the 2016 GOP primary could hurt not only Rand but also America if his candidacy splits the liberty vote? Assuming Cruz convinces some fools that he's a liberty candidate, that is.
You are missing my point and avoiding the facts I am providing you. No politician has ever done what you want Cruz to do. He isn't putting himself above his country because he wants to be president.

dinosaur
04-02-2014, 04:33 AM
You are missing my point and avoiding the facts I am providing you. No politician has ever done what you want Cruz to do. He isn't putting himself above his country because he wants to be president.

Wanting and doing are two different things. If he does split the vote, he is going to be remembered in history for exactly what you say he isn't doing.

Right Wing
04-02-2014, 05:57 AM
Sheldon Adelson’s net worth is over $40 billion and he considered reportedly to be the fifth wealthiest person on the planet. It has also been reported he is a GOP donor who spent more than $100 million backing Gingrich and Romney in 2012 and has stated he will contribute to defeat the likes of Paul and Cruz. At this Las Vegas meeting there was major sucking up from Republican hopefuls for the nomination and it seems it would be nearly impossible to obtain the Republican nomination without Adelson’s blessing. This is also the same guy who said we should nuke Iran and he hates Rand's foreign policy. Adelson seems like the George Soros of the Republican establishment. So, is there any chance of a constitutional conservative winning the nomination?

cajuncocoa
04-02-2014, 06:06 AM
If he really wants what's best for his country, and if he's as committed to liberty as some here think (I'm not convinced, BTW)...if those two things are true, then yes, he is putting his ambitions first.

RandallFan
04-02-2014, 10:39 PM
So, is there any chance of a constitutional conservative winning the nomination?

If they are stupid enough to run Jeb Bush.

Scott Walker and Jindal are the establishment candidates that can win.