PDA

View Full Version : Judge said 3 yr old daughter rapist (du Pont heir) 'will not fare well' in prison

Constitutional Paulicy
03-30-2014, 10:08 PM
http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/df61c7f59ecb40af2c0ceb08f8dcc48395ac27e6/c=31-0-417-514&r=537&c=0-0-534-712/local/-/media/Wilmington/Wilmington/2014/03/30//1396212401000-wildc5-6ehdlb201ybix4mc8ky-original.jpg

Judge said du Pont heir 'will not fare well' in prison
Cris Barrish, The News Journal 4:47 p.m. EDT March 30, 2014

A Superior Court judge who sentenced a wealthy du Pont heir to probation for raping his 3-year-old daughter noted in her order that he "will not fare well" in prison and needed treatment instead of time behind bars, court records show.

Judge Jan Jurden's sentencing order for Robert H. Richards IV suggested that she considered unique circumstances when deciding his punishment for fourth-degree rape. Her observation that prison life would adversely affect Richards was a rare and puzzling rationale, several criminal justice authorities in Delaware said. Some also said her view that treatment was a better idea than prison is a justification typically used when sentencing drug addicts, not child rapists.

Richards' 2009 rape case became public this month after attorneys for his ex-wife Tracy filed a lawsuit seeking compensatory and punitive damages for the abuse of his daughter.

The fact that Jurden expressed concern that prison wasn't right for Richards came as a surprise to defense lawyers and prosecutors who consider her a tough sentencing judge. Several noted that prison officials can put inmates in protective custody if they are worried about their safety, noting that child abusers are sometimes targeted by other inmates.

"It's an extremely rare circumstance that prison serves the inmate well," said Delaware Public Defender Brendan J. O'Neill, whose office represents defendants who cannot afford a lawyer. "Prison is to punish, to segregate the offender from society, and the notion that prison serves people well hasn't proven to be true in most circumstances."

O'Neill said he and his deputies have often argued that a defendant was too ill or frail for prison, but he has never seen a judge cite it as a "reason not to send someone to jail."

more here... http://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/crime/2014/03/28/sunday-preview-du-pont-heir-stayed-prison/7016769/

The Bavarian
03-30-2014, 10:38 PM
Sooooo.... what the fuck

aGameOfThrones
03-30-2014, 10:43 PM
I'm not going to lowered myself and suggest that the judge deserves to get rape, but if she did get raped then another judge can say the same thing in her case.

Uriel999
03-30-2014, 10:45 PM
So he shouldn't got to jail....cool, I got a solution, give me 10 seconds with him...That should give me more than enough time to get a good shot lined up.

phill4paul
03-30-2014, 10:49 PM
In a just world he might not want to walk free but be glad that he was protected behind walls in the security of the state.

Oh, but wait, the judge just admitted that he would not be safe in the most government controlled environment?

How then can any of us be safe in a government controlled environment?

Christian Liberty
03-30-2014, 10:50 PM
Child abusers should receive no "protection" in prison.

phill4paul
03-30-2014, 10:52 PM
Child abusers should receive no "protection" in prison.

If one is a ward of the state then one is due protection. No? If, perchance, he was not guilty and shanked and bled out then what would be your thoughts?

Christian Liberty
03-30-2014, 11:07 PM
If one is a ward of the state then one is due protection. No?

Special protection? I don't see why. That said, in a free market society (I don't believe the State can be trusted with any power period) I'd support putting child abusers to death rather than wasting resources to incarcerate them, though obviously that wouldn't be up to me.

If, perchance, he was not guilty and shanked and bled out then what would be your thoughts?

obviously different, but then, if he was not guilty I'd be offended that the courts failed to begin with.

phill4paul
03-30-2014, 11:15 PM
Special protection? I don't see why. That said, in a free market society (I don't believe the State can be trusted with any power period) I'd support putting child abusers to death rather than wasting resources to incarcerate them, though obviously that wouldn't be up to me.

obviously different, but then, if he was not guilty I'd be offended that the courts failed to begin with.

I didn't say anything about "special" protection. I just said protection. You support death even though you admit that a court could be wrong. We'll talk again in 15 years. I think you might catch up in that time. If this place is here and we both are. You are not even coherent in your beliefs.

James Madison
03-30-2014, 11:39 PM
Richards' 2009 rape case became public this month after attorneys for his ex-wife Tracy filed a lawsuit seeking compensatory and punitive damages for the abuse of his daughter.

This statement is suspicious.

...a wealthy du Pont heir...

And this one is even more suspicious.

Anyone been following this case?

Weston White
03-31-2014, 12:32 AM
Oh, so this is what the other end of justice is for those bred of wealth:

Jurden gave Richards [Robert H. Richards IV], who had no previous criminal record, an eight-year prison term, but suspended all the prison time for probation.

O'Neill said the way the Richards case was handled might cause the public to be skeptical about "how a person with great wealth may be treated by the system."

"Sex offenders are the lowest of the low in prison," Hurley said. "He's a rich, white boy who is a wuss and a child perv. The prison can't protect them, and Jan Jurden knows that reality. She is right on."

Richards was no frail defendant, court records show, listing him at 6 feet, 4 inches tall and between 250 and 276 pounds. Nor do court records cite any physical illnesses.

Richards, who is unemployed and supported by a trust fund, ... His great-grandfather is du Pont family patriarch Irenee du Pont, and his father is Robert H. Richards III, a retired partner in the Richards Layton & Finger law firm.

"Prison is to punish, to segregate the offender from society, and the notion that prison serves people well hasn't proven to be true in most circumstances."

Richards spent eight months on Level 3 probation, which requires weekly contacts with a probation officer, before Jurden moved him down to Level 2, which requires only monthly visits with a probation officer.

* Also in the article it mentions this case was kept quite until the mother filed a civil case against him; that there were prior unfounded allegations against him for molestation of his 2-year old son; that the 3-year old daughter only told a relative about her father touching her when she was five; and yet he was charged only with two lesser counts that were later modified for one greater count and a guilty plea.

thoughtomator
03-31-2014, 01:02 AM
I'm not going to lowered myself and suggest that the judge deserves to get rape, but if she did get raped then another judge can say the same thing in her case.

Betcha she has sentenced many a poor black boy to long, hard time for dealing drugs or some other relatively minor crime.

AngryCanadian
03-31-2014, 02:40 AM
Child abusers those whom rape there own daughters usual are often killed in Prison.

Dianne
03-31-2014, 02:52 AM
Actually, he looks like he would fit in just fine. So does the Judge.

MRK
03-31-2014, 03:27 AM
JUST US

And a stack of a few thousand benjamins if you want to join the club.

tod evans
03-31-2014, 04:20 AM
I'd have no problem slitting a baby-rapers throat....

That said I'd be interested in what really went on...........Sounds like an ex after money and we all know how that plays out.

Constitutional Paulicy
03-31-2014, 08:18 AM

That said I'd be interested in what really went on...........Sounds like an ex after money and we all know how that plays out.

This did cross my mind as well.

oyarde
03-31-2014, 08:38 AM

Probably , at least 50 / 50 , judge may have got some as well .

2young2vote
03-31-2014, 06:50 PM
So now you only get probation when you rape a 3 year old? Or does the $$$ lining the judge's freshly filled pockets make this a "special circumstance?"

Christian Liberty
04-01-2014, 07:26 AM
I didn't say anything about "special" protection. I just said protection. You support death even though you admit that a court could be wrong. We'll talk again in 15 years. I think you might catch up in that time. If this place is here and we both are. You are not even coherent in your beliefs.

How am I incoherent?

BTW: the age remarks are similar to those that I've gotten from statists because they don't want to hear about liberty.

brushfire
04-01-2014, 07:30 AM
$25 solution

http://img1.etsystatic.com/042/0/8332691/il_570xN.507075403_qzke.jpg

FindLiberty
04-01-2014, 01:35 PM
I have no words for the OP newz report...

Well, mabye WTF

Weston White
04-01-2014, 01:50 PM
So now you only get probation when you rape a 3 year old? Or does the $$$ lining the judge's freshly filled pockets make this a "special circumstance?"

Including incest and more than one incident was involved (who knows what really happened during those two-years it took for the victim to alert family about what was taking place), and prior allegations involving his young son... And an admission of guilt on the part of the suspect.

PaulConventionWV
04-01-2014, 02:09 PM
Probably , at least 50 / 50 , judge may have got some as well .

I suspect that the judge was paid off. Truth be told, I find it highly unlikely that a female judge would actually be concerned about an incestual baby-rapist's safety in prison. That just runs counter to everything I know about human nature.

Philhelm
04-01-2014, 03:53 PM
Clearly the daughter did it to herself.

timosman
02-01-2017, 02:42 AM
bump

dean.engelhardt
02-01-2017, 07:55 AM
I would like to see the judges bank account after this sentencing.