PDA

View Full Version : Pot-smoking style linked to addiction risk

aGameOfThrones
03-29-2014, 07:54 PM
NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Marijuana smokers' behavior is more important than the potency of their pot or how much of the psychoactive ingredient THC they take in for predicting who will become dependent, according to a small new study.

Researchers have debated whether smokers of high-potency cannabis varieties are at greater risk of addiction because they get more THC, or if they compensate for the pot's strength by using or inhaling less of it.

That doesn't really matter, say the authors of the new report. Smokers of potent pot do get more THC than smokers of traditional varieties, they found. But it's their style of pot smoking that predicted who was most likely to become dependent.

"No drug use is without risk," said lead author Peggy van der Pol, a doctoral candidate at the Trimbos Institute of the Netherlands Institute of Mental Health and Addiction. "When using stronger cannabis you will likely take in more THC than when using less potent cannabis," she told Reuters Health in an e-mail.

Most previous research into cannabis dependence has looked mainly at how frequently a person uses cannabis, Van der Pol and her team note in the journal Addiction.

But the assumption that heavier THC exposure leads to greater addiction risk ignores the possibility that THC dose is not the main determinant of who becomes dependent, they write.

Van der Pol and her team analyzed data on 98 young adults taking part in an ongoing long-term study of frequent marijuana users in the Netherlands. The participants were recruited from coffee houses where the sale and use of cannabis is permitted and via referrals. Each person reported smoking marijuana on at least three days a week for more than a year.

At the start of the study, three quarters of the participants were men and 23 years old, on average. One in three met the criteria for marijuana dependence at that point.

A year and a half after recruitment, and then a year and a half after that, the participants were interviewed about their cannabis use and asked to smoke a joint in a comfortable setting while researchers documented details of their behavior. To simulate real-world conditions, smokers were asked to bring their own cannabis and to roll their own joints.

Contrary to the authors' original predictions, the smokers of the more potent pot varieties did not roll weaker joints. They used more cannabis in each joint than their peers who smoked lower-strength cannabis.

Smokers of potent varieties did inhale less smoke and they smoked at a slower pace than their peers, the study team found.

"Users seem to partly adjust, or 'titrate' their THC intake, but not sufficiently so to fully compensate for the THC-strength," van der Pol told Reuters Health. "So users of more potent cannabis are generally exposed to more THC."

These adjustments in smoking behavior may not be intentional, she added. "On average, users seem not to fully compensate for cannabis strength by inhaling less smoke. Yet, as the smoking behavior may be an unconscious process, users are likely unaware whether or not they (partly) compensate their intake."

http://news.yahoo.com/pot-smoking-style-linked-addiction-risk-190656286.html

RJB
03-29-2014, 08:03 PM
I heard they spent $5.2 million dollars on a study that found that smoking pot is linked to being stoned.

RJB
03-29-2014, 08:09 PM
On a serious note, the reason why MJ may lead harder drugs is that kids get these horror stories of what it does, find out it's mostly BS and then wonder what else is BS.

tod evans
03-29-2014, 08:10 PM
That there's such thing as a doctorate in addiction seems pretty scary to me...

It's big business monitoring and regulating what other folks consume....

Cabal
03-29-2014, 08:15 PM
Cannabis*

mrsat_98
03-29-2014, 08:28 PM
I heard they spent $5.2 million dollars on a study that found that smoking pot is linked to being stoned.

How much you reckon its gonna cost to figure out that pot causes the munchies ?

RJB
03-29-2014, 08:32 PM
How much you reckon its gonna cost to figure out that pot causes the munchies ?

They'll probably make a profit, provided they run the vending machines.

Dr.3D
03-29-2014, 08:40 PM
On a serious note, the reason why MJ may lead harder drugs is that kids get these horror stories of what it does, find out it's mostly BS and then wonder what else is BS.
But, but, but, pot can ruin your life.

Of course they fail to mention the reason it can ruin your life.

(it's because it's illegal)

Dr.3D
03-29-2014, 08:45 PM
What's next? Are they going to sponsor another study?
I can just see it now.....

Steak eating style linked to addiction risk.

RJB
03-29-2014, 08:50 PM
But, but, but, pot can ruin your life.

Of course they fail to mention the reason it can ruin your life.

(it's because it's illegal)
One of the few times I watched COPS years ago, they caught someone with drugs. One of the cops said, "Well get him the help he needs."

And I thought, yeah a felony record, loss of job from time spent in jail, legal debt etc. is just the help that druggie needs to get ahead.

ClydeCoulter
03-29-2014, 08:54 PM

I think this is the one of the best posts I have seen on the subject. !

ClydeCoulter
03-29-2014, 08:57 PM
Has anyone actually ever been addicted to MJ? Really?

Dr.3D
03-29-2014, 08:58 PM
I've never heard of anybody having that problem and I've known people who have used it for over forty years.

Victor Grey
03-29-2014, 09:01 PM
Given my own personal anecdote, I don't believe that potency of a substance is any greatly reliable, strongly determining single factor toward overall addiction risk, either.

I know of some of the biggest drunks in the region. Most of them only drank beer. A few are winos. There are many more of those, than over-imbibing people that like straight booze; not to say those aren't around, too.

Far as pot goes, and the amount that people use in comparison to their preferred potency, who knows why that is exactly. Maybe there's like a parabola sort of element, when it comes to thc's effects, in comparison to overall potency or something.

I've not came across any real studies on the matter toward that aspect.
I do think that there's a lot of over-weaning fear mongering over the matter of potency, and it comes off as used as a bit of a red herring.

DamianTV
03-29-2014, 09:02 PM
I'll bet Cops get addicted to beating the shit out of people too.

Working Poor
03-29-2014, 10:02 PM
I don't know about the rest of you but when and if I smoke pot the better it is the less of it I smoke. I don't like to smoke pot that does not get me stoned on any more than 3 puffs.

thoughtomator
03-29-2014, 10:10 PM

That was pretty much EXACTLY what happened to me. And my questioning of the official line, once begun, didn't stop with drugs. I began to question everything that came from authority figures and the government in particular.

thoughtomator
03-29-2014, 10:11 PM

There's no such thing as physical addiction to cannabis.

Psychological addiction, sure, but the same can be said of chocolate, potato chips, and a million other things.

pcosmar
03-30-2014, 07:15 AM

I don't believe so.

But it is a habit I would like to have. I would very much like to make it a daily habit,,like caffeine or tobacco.

Addicted though,, I don't think so.

pcosmar
03-30-2014, 07:18 AM
I don't know about the rest of you but when and if I smoke pot the better it is the less of it I smoke. I don't like to smoke pot that does not get me stoned on any more than 3 puffs.

Yup,, I seldom roll it. In fact I only roll for other people in a social setting.

I use a One Hitter. (when i am fortunate to get a taste)

evilfunnystuff
03-30-2014, 07:28 AM
Funny how these geniuses didn't realize the people with the schwag (low quality/potency herb) were cheap and didn't want to waste their weed, and the people who could afford the nugs (high quality pot) weren't so concerned about waste.

If they had given the more cost conscientious smokers a big plate of quality nugs, most would have rolled bigger joints than they did with their schwag, and done their best to not to let it burn idle, likely wasting less smoke than those who can regularly afford high quality nugs.

evilfunnystuff
03-30-2014, 07:29 AM
double post

Root
03-30-2014, 07:45 AM
Where are the studies using vaporizers? Why does it always come back to "smoking"?

evilfunnystuff
03-30-2014, 07:47 AM
Where are the studies using vaporizers? Why does it always come back to "smoking"?

Most pot smokers still have never used a good vaporizer.

DamianTV
04-01-2014, 05:19 PM

And not Pot Brownies, Pot Candy Bars, Pot Drinks, or any of the now literally thousands of ways to get pot into your system?

Root
04-01-2014, 05:28 PM
And not Pot Brownies, Pot Candy Bars, Pot Drinks, or any of the now literally thousands of ways to get pot into your system?
Yeah, exactly.