PDA

View Full Version : ANNOUNCEMENT: To anyone coming to Des Moines this weekend

nevesis
06-26-2007, 01:20 PM
To all coming to Des Moines this weekend --

First and foremost, thank you. The Des Moines meetup group has been very busy preparing for this event.

A couple of FRIENDLY suggestions however:

It is important to look the part. That being said, we prefer khaki shorts/pants and a Ron Paul t-shirt. Otherwise, a polo shirt, button-down, or even a suit would be fantastic.

Jean shorts, cut off shirts, etc. could cast a negative light on us.

It also is important to us that we have a coherent message.

The majority of attendees will be members from the lower taxes and Christian groups. Thus, make your signage as you feel most appropriate.

Please no legalize marijuana, 9/11 truth, etc signage. We appreciate your messages and support, but again the local media would likely use these to portray Ron Paul in a negative light.

Finally, we assume this event will be covered by the media. Paul's campaign is entirely in charge of public relations, but just in case, be prepared to have something intelligent and coherent to say if by chance you are interviewed. (I personally don't expect to be, but if I was (and unprepared) I would probably stammer away... so just a thought)

Once again, thank you very much and us Iowans look forward to your arrival.

Please PM me, or e-mail rmeyer(a)youthinkitweprintit.com if you have any questions.

kalami
06-26-2007, 01:26 PM
I agree, most Americans aren't ready for jean shorts.

BW4Paul
06-26-2007, 01:28 PM

Heh heh, most Americans' legs aren't ready for jean shorts. ;)

BLS
06-26-2007, 01:36 PM
we prefer khaki shorts/pants and a Ron Paul t-shirt. Otherwise, a polo shirt, button-down, or even a suit.

Please no jean shorts, cut off shirts, etc.

Way to promote individual liberties and freedom.

Dude..Did you buy Iowa over the weekend?

I mean, I know what you're saying....but a fucking dress code?
That's thin man...really thin.

IRO-bot
06-26-2007, 01:40 PM
Heh heh, most Americans' legs aren't ready for jean shorts. ;)

*shudders uncontrolably*

nevesis
06-26-2007, 01:40 PM

Hey -- free country, do as you please.

We're just suggesttttinggggg it. You know, for the kids.

wecandoit
06-26-2007, 01:42 PM
This is good info..Don't we understand by now how the media could very well be lying in wait, looking for ANY chance to paint RP supporters as fringe, whackos, moon bats, etc.

I'd love for those attending the rally to all be wearing suits, clean hair cut, looking and sounding the part of wall street republicans. Now I know that is not likely, and I'm not suggesting it, I'm just pointing out that would have the biggest, most positive effect on the Iowians attending the forum, and Iowa at large, which is what this is about, and it would give the media NOTHING to work with in trying to paint us as fringe.

beermotor
06-26-2007, 01:42 PM
There's nothing wrong with them wanting to project a particular image. A horde of folks wearing RP t-shirts should be fine.

This probably is more important for those that will be attending the conference that he was excluded from.

BLS
06-26-2007, 01:46 PM
Hey -- free country, do as you please.

We're just suggesttttinggggg it. You know, for the kids.

Like I said...I understand what you're getting at.
We want to look presentable. But it came across rather condescending.
People don't like being told what to do, ya know? :D

Good luck this weekend. Peace and love, Kumbaya.

MGS
06-26-2007, 01:46 PM
This is good info..Don't we understand by now how the media could very well be lying in wait, looking for ANY chance to paint RP supporters as fringe, whackos, moon bats, etc.

I'd love for those attending the rally to all be wearing suits, clean hair cut, looking and sounding the part of wall street republicans. Now I know that is not likely, and I'm not suggesting it, I'm just pointing out that would have the biggest, most positive effect on the Iowians attending the forum, and Iowa at large, which is what this is about, and it would give the media NOTHING to work with in trying to paint us as fringe.

I agree.. i also hope people wont harass the forum goers with protests.

wecandoit
06-26-2007, 01:49 PM
This thing in Iowa is going to be a battle of perception..trust me..perception is reality.
nevesis is speaking wisely...take heed!....we need to win this battle of perception.

Nash
06-26-2007, 01:51 PM
I wouldn't be caught dead in a suit but frankly nobody with any sense of style should wear jean shorts.

Jean shorts are not in the constitution.

MGS
06-26-2007, 01:51 PM
This thing in Iowa is going to be a battle of perception..trust me..perception is reality.
OP is speaking wisely...take heed!....we need to win this battle of perception.

I totally agree. We need to realize that our actions will reflect on Mr. Paul. You may get mad and cry foul about it, but we need to work within the current system if we are to get a new system..

Man from La Mancha
06-26-2007, 01:55 PM
If it helps Ron get elected I'd wear a tuxedo.
How would I dress for a job interview.
Cloths do make a difference or we all would be wearing dirty, worn out, poorly fitting cloths
Thats why I like to look the best I can when I go out on date. I get more action.

Bryan
06-26-2007, 01:57 PM
Jean shorts are not in the constitution.
LOL! :D

I appreciate the original post here, nothing wrong with a friendly reminder but of course everyone is free to do as they wish. Better to be there in shorts than not because you don't have a suit, no?

Joe Knows
06-26-2007, 01:57 PM
Is it OK to wear socks?

kalami
06-26-2007, 02:03 PM
not with sandals

LibertyCzar
06-26-2007, 02:03 PM
Does this mean a thong is out of the question?

DrStrabismus
06-26-2007, 02:05 PM
http://thedivide.com/samples/jean_shorts.jpg

Mattsa
06-26-2007, 02:08 PM

I gotta agree I'm afraid

Telling people what to wear is the exact anthesis of what Ron Paul is about.

I'm amazed to hear a Ron Paul supporter telling people what kind of shirt or jeans to wear

Bloody hell!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sitting here shaking my head in disbelief!!!!!!!!

quickmike
06-26-2007, 02:15 PM
damn!! I was planning on dressing up like the guy on the quaker oats container, and my buddy was gonna dress like ben franklin running down the street flying a kite that said ron paul 2008 on it.......... oh well, so much for that. I guess khakis and RP tshirt will have to do. ;)

MsDoodahs
06-26-2007, 02:17 PM
hey, that would probably get MSM coverage right there.

:D

PatriotOne
06-26-2007, 02:19 PM
Here's my suggestion for proper attire (hehe):

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e198/Yekt40/Whatnottowear.jpg

WannaBfree
06-26-2007, 02:44 PM

First and foremost, thank you. The Des Moines meetup group has been very busy preparing for this event.

A couple of guidelines, however:

It is important to look the part. That being said, we prefer khaki shorts/pants and a Ron Paul t-shirt. Otherwise, a polo shirt, button-down, or even a suit.

The majority of attendees will be members from the lower taxes and Christian groups. Thus, signs promoting lower taxes would likely be the most effective.

Please no legalize marijuana, 9/11 truth, etc signage. We appreciate your messages and support, but we feel this is not the time or place.

Finally, we assume this event will be covered by the media. Paul's campaign is entirely in charge of public relations, but just in case, be prepared to have something intelligent and coherent to say if by chance you are interviewed.

Once again, thank you very much and we look forward to your arrival.

Please PM me, or e-mail rmeyer(a)youthinkitweprintit.com if you have any questions.

WHO ARE YOU?????
Don't you believe in Ron Paul's message of LIBERTY?

Ron Paul emphasizes that he sees people as individuals, not as groups. I hope everyone shows up at this rally as WHO THEY ARE expressing whatever they feel is important to THEM.

Nash
06-26-2007, 02:44 PM
From the Journal of Applied Science:

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1559-1816.1972.tb01261.x?cookieSet=1&journalCode=jasp

Field experiments investigated the relationship between a political campaigner's dress and appearance and his campaign effectiveness. In one study deviant, "freaky" appearing campaigners attempting to hand out innocuous leaflets in a shopping center had a lower acceptance rate than did more conventionally dressed campaigners. Those shoppers who did accept leaflets from "freaks" were more likely to throw them away unread. The first experiment suggested that deviant-appearing campaigners have difficulty communicating information to potential voters, but it was argued that, in another sense, they convey all too much information. Knowing only that the campaigners for one candidate were deviant and "hippy" in appearance as compared to the conventionally dressed campaigners supporting a second candidate, voters in a second experiment were willing to ascribe more radical opinions to the deviants' candidate. Voters then used their inferences as the basis on which to select a candidate. The rationality of inferring beliefs from appearances is discussed in terms of correspondent inference theory.

Image is everything.

Please see "Get Clean for Gene"

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2006/11/20/mccarthy2a/

Note please I'm a total dirtbag. Long Hair, Beard and Jeans. But if I was going to IA I'd clean up immediately considering I'd be talking to older midwestern folk.

Man from La Mancha
06-26-2007, 02:53 PM
Exactly!!!! Some of the people on these boards don't live in the real world of getting candidates elected!

LibertyCzar Does this mean a thong is out of the question?

Depends on who is wearing the thong and is there enough space on it for a Ron Paul message.

I'm totally amazed by the people get so upset by the suggestions on these boards. Who cares if someone uses the word you or yours!!! I find out that even with my limited brain capacity I can even deduce that these are suggestions and opinions that could help Paul elected. Shess!!! Some people are so thin skinned or insecure, I just don't know what it is causing that behavior. Duhhh dudes I be specific here ---just an opinion--

Scribbler de Stebbing
06-26-2007, 03:04 PM
People don't like being told what to do, ya know? :D

THIS crowd sure doesn't, and that's understandable. Libertarians are independent, don't-you-dare-tell-me-what-to-do and keep-the-rules-to-a-minimum kind of folks. Me too. But let's try to suck it in when it's important and save our nose-thumbing for the government. :D

WannaBfree
06-26-2007, 03:45 PM
Right, without a dress code suggestion, people might dress like the supporters that showed up at the Daily Show, the Colbert Report and the debates. And we all know how much that hurt Ron Paul's campaign...

LibertyEagle
06-26-2007, 04:05 PM
WHO ARE YOU?????
Don't you believe in Ron Paul's message of LIBERTY?

Ron Paul emphasizes that he sees people as individuals, not as groups. I hope everyone shows up at this rally as WHO THEY ARE expressing whatever they feel is important to THEM.

This is not about US. It is about Dr. Paul. Last time I checked, it was he who was running for President. Not US.

yongrel
06-26-2007, 04:08 PM
the "Nudists for Ron Paul" group will not be happy about this

dmitchell
06-26-2007, 04:17 PM
Ha!

MGS
06-26-2007, 04:17 PM
Exactly!!!! Some of the people on these boards don't live in the real world of getting candidates elected!

I'm totally amazed by the people get so upset by the suggestions on these boards. Who cares if someone uses the word you or yours!!! I find out that even with my limited brain capacity I can even deduce that these are suggestions and opinions that could help Paul elected. Shess!!! Some people are so thin skinned or insecure, I just don't know what it is causing that behavior. Duhhh dudes I be specific here ---just an opinion--

I totally agree once again.. im afraid that Dr. Pauls strongest weapon (his supporters) will also be his strongest enemy (by fueling negative perceptions). This is reality folks.. you gotta play within this system to change it! Cripes is it that hard to understand?

BW4Paul
06-26-2007, 04:18 PM
Right, without a dress code suggestion, people might dress like the supporters that showed up at the Daily Show, the Colbert Report and the debates. And we all know how much that hurt Ron Paul's campaign...

No lie-- when I saw the supporter footage outside of the Colbert Report, as soon as the camera panned over some guy in a suit, I immediately felt like the supporters were legitimized. True story! And no, I am not The Man... or at least, I try not to be. However, it's very difficult to fight people's prejudices. So rather than fight those prejudices, why not use them to your advantage and dress nicely?

Noodles
06-26-2007, 04:18 PM
My post was deleted!:D

I thought this was the Ron Paul forum. :eek:

Ok ladies, I am a pharmacist. I deal with little old ladies and gents every day. I wear my hair halfway down my back, and play drums in a heavy metal band.

Your point?

MGS
06-26-2007, 04:20 PM
I totally agree once again.. im afraid that Dr. Pauls strongest weapon (his supporters) will also be his strongest enemy (by fueling negative perceptions). This is reality folks.. you gotta play within this system to change it! Cripes is it that hard to understand?

A perfect example of this is Ron Paul being a Republican instead of Libertarian.. he knows the reality of the situation regardless of how right or wrong it is.

BravoSix
06-26-2007, 04:23 PM
I get such a kick out of the "Don't tell me to do that! It's against liberty!"

Give me a break.

Liberty is the freedom from compulsion. Merely suggesting what one believes to be in the best interest of the common cause isn't compulsion.

mdh
06-26-2007, 04:27 PM
A perfect example of this is Ron Paul being a Republican instead of Libertarian.. he knows the reality of the situation regardless of how right or wrong it is.

You say "he knows" as if this was some kind of directive from Dr. Paul himself. I think Dr. Paul is accepting of all his supporters, and trusts us to be mature, intelligent adults, to think for ourselves, and to make the right decisions to get him elected. If we're not, the platform he espouses won't work in practice anyway! It's one of personal responsibility, of common sense. Not one of central authorities micro-managing the people. Don't lose sight of that. Be yourself, keep your focus on your goals, and use common sense. That is all.

LibertyEagle
06-26-2007, 04:30 PM

See, here's the thing, Iowa is very different than New York City.

MGS
06-26-2007, 04:31 PM
You say "he knows" as if this was some kind of directive from Dr. Paul himself. I think Dr. Paul is accepting of all his supporters, and trusts us to be mature, intelligent adults, to think for ourselves, and to make the right decisions to get him elected. If we're not, the platform he espouses won't work in practice anyway! It's one of personal responsibility, of common sense. Not one of central authorities micro-managing the people. Don't lose sight of that. Be yourself, keep your focus on your goals, and use common sense. That is all.

I say he knows because he has said on the Daily Show appearance that its impossible for a third party to have a succesful campaign unless your a Ross Perot.. so yeah he knows.

WannaBfree
06-26-2007, 04:31 PM
No lie-- when I saw the supporter footage outside of the Colbert Report, as soon as the camera panned over some guy in a suit, I immediately felt like the supporters were legitimized. True story! And no, I am not The Man... or at least, I try not to be. However, it's very difficult to fight people's prejudices. So rather than fight those prejudices, why not use them to your advantage and dress nicely?

You're totally missing my point; people dressed and behaved just fine, without anyone telling them what to wear or how to behave. They didn't all wear suits or khaki pants, they were just real people supporting a real person. It touched me to see so many different people at these events, coming together with the common goal of saving their country.

Swmorgan77
06-26-2007, 04:32 PM

We want to present Ron Paul supporters in the best light possible. Like it or not, people are very judgmental about appearance. Just suck it up, clean yourself up and help the campaign. Of course he can't MAKE you do it... its just a request from someone who wants Ron Paul to get the most out of this event.

MGS
06-26-2007, 04:33 PM
Im not trying to micro-manage anything. I have no authority at all here... im suggesting things i think would help with the campaign.

WannaBfree
06-26-2007, 04:34 PM

Bravo!

MGS
06-26-2007, 04:35 PM
We want to present Ron Paul supporters in the best light possible. Like it or not, people are very judgmental about appearance. Just suck it up, clean yourself up and help the campaign. Of course he can't MAKE you do it... its just a request from someone who wants Ron Paul to get the most out of this event.

Its a lost cause.. but i agree with you.

MGS
06-26-2007, 04:35 PM
I say he knows because he has said on the Daily Show appearance that its impossible for a third party to have a succesful campaign unless your a Ross Perot.. so yeah he knows.

^^^^

Man from La Mancha
06-26-2007, 04:40 PM
Could you imagine if ever body would show up in what used be be called 100 years ago your "Sunday Best" Not the same but your best outfit you would wear to your most respected church. Yea don't tell me you wear jeans to church I know I saw you there. It's was ones symbolic way of wanting to present themselves to God and friends in their best light. Yea I know many were fakes on the inside but they did look good.

What a public relations stunt that would be, They could not keep the cameras off the crowds then..

Note---------- an opinion of weird proportion

SeekLiberty
06-26-2007, 05:10 PM

It is important to look the part. That being said, we prefer khaki shorts/pants and a Ron Paul t-shirt. Otherwise, a polo shirt, button-down, or even a suit.

The majority of attendees will be members from the lower taxes and Christian groups. Thus, signs promoting lower taxes would likely be the most effective.

Please no legalize marijuana, 9/11 truth, etc signage. We appreciate your messages and support, but we feel this is not the time or place.

Finally, we assume this event will be covered by the media. Paul's campaign is entirely in charge of public relations, but just in case, be prepared to have something intelligent and coherent to say if by chance you are interviewed.

Does that include dressing with open carry guns in holsters? ;)

IMO, it may behoove out-of-staters to brush up on some of the concerns of Iowans such as their "may issue" law for concealed carry which they are fighting to join the majority of the other states for a "shall issue" law.

Tell an Iowan that Ron supports Americans' Right to bear arms and likely most of them will love you and Ron Paul as a supporter of Freedom! :D

Here's an Iowan website about this:

http://www.iowacarry.org

Perhaps a sign that says "Support Shall Issue Gun Rights for Iowans!" or "Out-of-Staters Support Iowans Right to Bear Arms" would make a lot of Iowan friends of Ron Paul?

If I was an Iowan, and I saw people from OTHER states (whom understand our issues) fly and drive all the way over to support my local concerns, I'd be amazed! Those would be the people whose cause I'd want to join. :cool:

- SL

PS: Of course, my own view is that we don't need any government "permits" for our natural Rights. :eek:

Bryan in Iowa
06-26-2007, 05:33 PM
Please direct all questions regarding the Iowa Liberty rally to this thread:

http://ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=4408

nevesis is now under my control.....bawhaaaaaaa :-) Seriously, the suggestion for dress attire was addressed in the above thread, and we're not attempting to be cult dictators, simply requesting visitors and participants be congnizant of their image. That's it.

WannaBfree
06-26-2007, 05:41 PM
See, here's the thing, Iowa is very different than New York City.

No, here's the thing:

The supporters were dressed just fine in NYC.

BLS
06-26-2007, 05:44 PM

OK...you might want to sit down.

First off, I'm a very opinionated person...in case you haven't noticed.
2nd, I am ON THE SAME TEAM, so everything I say should be noted that I have the same common goal as you.

Here's the thing. I'm an Information Technology Network Engineer.
I work in Corporate America and look the part as much as anyone.
I wear slacks and a button up, unless meeting with upper management, in which case I'll also wear a tie.
I'm very professional at work, but after work, I shoot pool, drink beers, eat RED meat, and ride a motorcycle. I live both sides of the fence.

I think the way people are looking at your comments is rather simple..and this is the point YOU ALL SEEM TO BE MISSING (you know who you are).

1. I'm smart enough to recognize Dr. Paul as the ideal candidate, so I'm obviously not a moron.

2. If I'm involved enough that I'm willing to travel to another part of the country to support a person I personally believe is worth driving to Iowa for, I guess I'm a rather motivated person.

3. If I'm willing to spend my money to make that trip, I guess I'm committed.

So, with that MINIMAL criteria, do you think I need YOU to tell me how to dress, what to say, how to act, or where to go??

A SUGGESTION is one thing. Your message REEKED of being controlling, as if you own Iowa. You should be HAPPY people are willing to drive to Iowa regardless of where it's from to show support for our common goal.

The point is...WE KNOW THAT...nobody here is a freaking moron, so suggesting to someone how to dress, etc is just plain condescending, and THAT'S my point.

I know you were only offering some guidelines...but you have to be able to see where people are coming from when they become offended. (I think....)

Thanks for hearing my rant. Here's your soapbox back. :D

Man from La Mancha
06-26-2007, 06:00 PM
I quess thats one way to bump

I don't know whats normal dress for these type of people at this type of events at this time of year. I have never been there and am not all knowing so I appreciate guidelines from a local.

I used the same technique when I went to Russia 5 yr ago. I read how the men dressed which is not much different from the USA but the use of black was a big thing. I used to upset the locals in a funny way they would come up to me to ask the time or directions and would be upset when I spoke no Russian, So it was very effective to know the local dress because I blended in so well.

WannaBfree
06-26-2007, 06:22 PM

Well, the media have already reported that RP supporters are manipulated. Now they can report that RP supporters are even being told what to wear!

Please let the message of Ron Paul and the massive support of REAL PEOPLE speak for itself.

"We should have more faith in freedom."

"Today, this country is starved for a greater faith in freedom and less dependency on government and management of our lives."

Dr. Ron Paul

LibertyEagle
06-26-2007, 07:05 PM
I personally think the recommendations were good ones. I would imagine that some planning on attending are very young and/or college students, who actually might not think about the importance of how they dress for this particular kind of event. If someone already knows, then the message wasn't directed at you, so why would it bother you?

The folks IN Iowa understand the nature of the event and the type of Iowans who will be attending. I would expect them to know what kind of dress, etc. will go over the best in their own community. Wouldn't you?

We seem to be throwing darts at the messenger who is just trying to do his best to communicate to us what will work in his own community. We're all on the same team working for the same goal.

Save your ammo for our enemies. They are not on this board.