PDA

View Full Version : Homeless Mother Gets Job Interview But Doesn’t Have Childcare, Ends Up In Jail

aGameOfThrones
03-27-2014, 09:54 PM
http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Shanesha-Taylor-2.jpg

Shanesha Taylor, a woman from Scottsdale, Arizona, is homeless. So when she got asked to come in for a job interview last Thursday, she must have been excited by the prospect. But when you’re homeless, there isn’t always an easy way to take an hour off from watching your kids to be at an interview. That’s how Taylor, 35, wound up losing her children to Child Protective Service — and losing out on the potential job.

Taylor was charged with two felony counts of child abuse for leaving her six-month-old and two-year-old in a car with the windows cracked last Thursday for at least 45 minutes as she sat in an interview for a potential job. She told officers that she was homeless, so she couldn’t leave her children in the house, and she had no one else to watch them.

“She was upset,” Sargent Mark Clark, Public Information Officer for Scottsdale Police, told WFSB. “This is a sad situation all around. She said she was homeless, she needed the job. Obviously, not getting the job. So it’s just a sad situation.”

Taylor remains in jail, an official from the Maricopa County Sheriff’s office confirmed, and will likely remain there until her first court date.

It is undeniably very unsafe to leave a child in a locked car. Thirty-eight children suffer heat-related deaths every year from being locked in a vehicle, according to Kids and Cars. But Taylor’s story raises an important issue: People in her situation are left with only bad options.

“It’s reasonable to turn the lens back on us,” Shahera Hyatt, Project Director for the California Homeless Youth Project, told ThinkProgress. “What did we do to not help her find childcare when she had that appointment?”

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2014/03/27/3419192/homeless-woman-job-interview/

Anti Federalist
03-27-2014, 09:58 PM
“She was upset,” Sargent Mark Clark, Public Information Officer for Scottsdale Police, told WFSB. “This is a sad situation all around. She said she was homeless, she needed the job. Obviously, not getting the job. So it’s just a sad situation.”

Didn't stop you from arresting her and fucking her life up worse, did it, Sarge?

Concern Troll is concerned.

GunnyFreedom
03-27-2014, 10:13 PM
Didn't stop you from arresting her and fucking her life up worse, did it, Sarge?

Concern Troll is concerned.

Assholes like that are gonna break hell wide open with the force of their plunge.

Anti Federalist
03-27-2014, 10:23 PM
Assholes like that are gonna break hell wide open with the force of their plunge.

Utterly destroyed this woman.

She's in jail, the kids are now wards of the state, most likely, and with two felony raps now, she can forget about ever getting a "straight" job.

All for trying to "do the right thing".

Fuck...there are days I want to just walk away from all this...

oyarde
03-27-2014, 10:27 PM
I commend her for trying . Get me somewhere where I can chip in for her defense .

aGameOfThrones
03-27-2014, 10:32 PM
Utterly destroyed this woman.

She's in jail, the kids are now wards of the state, most likely, and with two felony raps now, she can forget about ever getting a "straight" job.

All for trying to "do the right thing".

Look on the bright side, she ain't homeless anymore.

Picture + story makes me want to punch myself for this comment, but policy was followed.

Cabal
03-27-2014, 10:41 PM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/500x/44331430.jpg

mrsat_98
03-28-2014, 02:10 AM
Thank State, everyone is OK.

tod evans
03-28-2014, 02:24 AM
She must be commended for looking for work!

Yet these idiots punish both her and her kids.

Evil bastards!:mad:

Warrior_of_Freedom
03-28-2014, 03:19 AM
Try to get a job? Congratulations, now your children get kidnapped and raped by Child Protective Services!

MRK
03-28-2014, 03:28 AM
CPS. It's like the TSA but with a sleepover plan.

tod evans
03-28-2014, 03:31 AM
CPS. It's like the TSA but with a sleepover plan.

CPS actually orders gynecological exams of children whereas the TSA "just" gropes them..

Government at its finest...:mad:

Warrior_of_Freedom
03-28-2014, 03:33 AM
CPS actually orders gynecological exams of children whereas the TSA "just" gropes them..

Government at its finest...:mad:

Well after the CPS rapes them, the examiner can rape them again to collect samples

John F Kennedy III
03-28-2014, 03:53 AM
....three hots and a cot?

kathy88
03-28-2014, 04:44 AM
That photo is heartbreaking.

RJB
03-28-2014, 05:40 AM
They will give her the help she needs. Doesn't everyone need a felony record, kids taken away, and a potential job lost?

Thirty-eight children suffer heat-related deaths every year from being locked in a vehicle, according to Kids and Cars.Yesterdays high was 73F. :rolleyes:

http://www.weather.com/weather/yesterday/85251

DamianTV
03-28-2014, 08:04 AM
They will give her the help she needs. Doesn't everyone need a felony record, kids taken away, and a potential job lost?

Yesterdays high was 73F. :rolleyes:

http://www.weather.com/weather/yesterday/85251

Once upon a time there was a magical thing called Common Fucking Sense. It went hand in hand with being Reasonable.

phill4paul
03-28-2014, 08:07 AM
Tries to get back into the system. Is well and truly f*cked by it. About right.

Cabal
03-28-2014, 08:08 AM
Once upon a time there was a magical thing called Common Fucking Sense. It went hand in hand with being Reasonable.

And both have evidently been replaced by Faith in the State.

Thor
03-28-2014, 08:38 AM
And why do we have people just keep sucking on the welfare tit, without ever trying to get of the state dole?

Why, this here is a fine example of why.... damned if you do, damned if you don't.

"You NEED us, and we are gonna prove just how much you need us, motherfucker...."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpAOwJvTOio

Cabal
03-28-2014, 08:44 AM
And why do we have people just keep sucking on the welfare tit, without ever trying to get of the state dole?

Why, this here is a fine example of why.... damned if you do, damned if you don't.

"You NEED us, and we are gonna prove just how much you need us, motherfucker...."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suI880gAUl0

Antischism
03-28-2014, 10:41 AM
I guess she didn't pull hard enough on her bootstraps.

#Republicanisms

GunnyFreedom
03-28-2014, 12:13 PM
I guess she didn't pull hard enough on her bootstraps.

#Republicanisms

Pretty sure the whole "CPS/It Takes A Village/Felony if you don't raise your kid the way we like" is a Democrat innovation. Not that either Party is worth a crap, but making this a partisan thing is stupid, especially when you point to the wrong party to advocate this kind of crap.

Occam's Banana
03-28-2014, 02:48 PM

http://www.procyon.com/~miracle/Fark-Graphics/EDSBS/EDSBS-Kaiser-Soze-Fire-Walk.gif

satchelmcqueen
03-28-2014, 03:24 PM
thats the saddest picture ive ever saw. i feel so bad for her.

DamianTV
03-28-2014, 04:35 PM
"When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law." - The Law

The example set by imprisoning this mother in an unreasonable circumstance (I.E. 73 degrees), they have lost even more of their sense of respect for the Law. Why? Perhaps the law may be just, perhaps not, but the application of the Law is most definitely in direct contradiction with morality.

Anti Federalist
03-28-2014, 05:25 PM
http://cdn.pbh2.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/funniest-simpsons-gifs-candy-bomb.gif

http://www.procyon.com/~miracle/Fark-Graphics/EDSBS/EDSBS-Kaiser-Soze-Fire-Walk.gif

James Madison
03-28-2014, 05:29 PM
Zero tolerance.
Protocol was followed.
No police were hurt.

Antischism
03-28-2014, 05:32 PM
Pretty sure the whole "CPS/It Takes A Village/Felony if you don't raise your kid the way we like" is a Democrat innovation. Not that either Party is worth a crap, but making this a partisan thing is stupid, especially when you point to the wrong party to advocate this kind of crap.

I think you missed the joke.

qh4dotcom
03-28-2014, 06:06 PM
thats the saddest picture ive ever saw. i feel so bad for her.

There's a 96% chance she voted for Obama.

Maybe she got what she voted for....in a free society with a libertarian president, this would not have happened to her.

But yes, I hope she gets her kids back.

aGameOfThrones
04-07-2014, 11:03 PM
Update

Donations pour in for Phoenix mom facing charges

PHOENIX (AP) — A Phoenix woman arrested after leaving her two kids in a hot vehicle during a job interview is fighting to clear her name in court, with the support of a New Jersey woman who has raised more than $91,000 to help her effort.

Unemployed and on food stamps, Shanesha Taylor went to the job interview last month at a Scottsdale insurance company.

The 35-year-old wasn't able to find a sitter, so she left her 2-year-old son and 6-month old baby in her Dodge Durango with the key still in the ignition and the windows rolled down an inch.

A witness found the infant crying hysterically and sweating profusely as temperatures inside the SUV exceeded 100 degrees.

Taylor was arrested after returning to the vehicle, and her tearful mugshot later caught the attention of 24-year-old Amanda Bishop of New Jersey.

Bishop said she was inspired to set up a fundraising web page for Taylor because she could relate to growing up in a family that doesn't have a lot of money.

"I had a mother and family in general who struggled raising us and had to rely on other resources to provide for us and sometimes made not the greatest choices," Bishop said.

Taylor pleaded not guilty Monday at her arraignment.

Prosecutors point out that her actions put the safety of her children in danger.

According to court documents, Scottsdale firefighters found the vehicle's windows rolled down only an inch and no running air conditioning to keep the children cool.

The baby was described as wearing a short-sleeve shirt over a long-sleeve shirt, as well as a blanket. Taylor arrived back at the vehicle more than an hour after her interview time, the documents said.

"Everything is focused on the mother and understandably so. It seems to be a very compelling human interest story," County Attorney Bill Montgomery said at a recent news conference. "But I'm equally concerned and compelled about the circumstances those two children were in."

Montgomery said it's too soon to determine if Taylor will receive a prison term or face losing custody of her children. Her offenses could amount to a sentence ranging from probation to seven years in prison, prosecutors said.

http://news.yahoo.com/donations-pour-phoenix-mom-facing-charges-220423301.html

Nirvikalpa
04-07-2014, 11:36 PM
Some days I wonder why people on welfare aren't trying to get jobs... then I see this...

The government can't possibly make this situation any worse.

Edit: hell yeah 24-year-old Amanda Bishop of New Jersey!! (look at post above)

If you wish to donate, the link is here: http://www.youcaring.com/help-a-neighbor/shanesha-taylor-fundraiser/153519

The Free Hornet
04-08-2014, 12:29 AM
A 2 yo and six-month yo baby in an SUV with temps exceeding 100F.

Had these been fetuses, I can't help but suspect the spin here would be different.

The story - and picture - are heartwrenching, but the real tragedy are the events leading up to that day. I'll give TPTB a pass on this one!

Lucille
11-17-2014, 07:02 PM
Ms Taylor was arrested March 20 after leaving her two young sons in her car for about 45 minutes while she interviewed for a job with a Scottsdale insurance company.

Authorities said the temperature inside the car exceeded 100F. A witness found the infant crying hysterically and sweating profusely. She told investigators she didn't have anyone to watch her then-2-year-old and 8-month-old sons.

SMH And the baby was in long sleeves, long pants, and under a blanket? Those poor things. They're lucky to be alive and ok.

Update h/t http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?463242-Aren-t-some-people-just-prone-to-bad-decisions-and-being-poor

Weeping mom arrested for abandoning kids while she went to a job interview 'refused offers of work and spent donation money on making a rap album'
Shanesha Taylor received donations of more than $114,000 after claiming that she had no option but to leave her two little boys in a sweltering car
Now one of her biggest supporters has accused her of refusing to work and spending $6,000 on her children's father's rap album
Part of a deal with prosecutors to avoid charges included Taylor putting some of the $114,000 raised into a trust for her children - but she didn't
She will now face trial on December 3 on two felony charges of child abuse

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2838437/Weeping-mom-arrested-abandoning-kids-went-job-interview-refused-offers-work-spent-donation-money-making-rap-album.html#ixzz3JNMcc32M

Prosecutors backed out of the deal after they say Ms Taylor failed to put $60,000 in the trusts. Still, they gave her another chance by lowering the amount to $40,000 but again she refused to pay.

She has repeatedly refused to say how much of the donated money remains, but has previously claimed it is well over $60,000. She said she didn't fund the trusts because her children will not get the money if they choose not to attend college.

Prosecutors say the mother of three has spent about $4,100 per month, including more than $1,000 in non-essential items such as cable TV, clothing and dining.

Why do the authorities care what she does with the donation money? I don't believe there was fraud involved. She has to put half into a banksta trust, and for college too? What kind of prog blackmail bullshit is that?

Bishop said she was inspired to set up a fundraising web page for Taylor because she could relate to growing up in a family that doesn't have a lot of money.

"I had a mother and family in general who struggled raising us and had to rely on other resources to provide for us and sometimes made not the greatest choices," Bishop said.
[...]
"She could have been at a bar or at a club and leaving her children in the car," Bishop said. "Here's a woman who is an example of someone who is trying — who is trying to better her situation and doing what she can to provide for her children."

When people gave it to her, it automatically became hers to waste. People should know by now that money isn't usually respected unless it's earned.

brushfire
11-17-2014, 07:39 PM
Proving once again...