PDA

View Full Version : Cancer stricken woman arrested on warrant for failure to renew dog license.

phill4paul
03-27-2014, 04:49 AM
Up until the time police put her in handcuffs and loaded her into a cruiser, Ann Musser was not expecting to be arrested.

“I just wished that at least for my first time getting arrested, I had something interesting to say about what I had done wrong,” said Musser, a Holyoke resident.

Musser was arrested at her home Friday night on an outstanding arrest warrant issued by Holyoke District Court for failing to appear in court. The court appearance was scheduled last September because Musser had failed to comply with repeated requests from the city of Holyoke in June for her to renew the license for Pumpkin, her 14-year-old family dog.

Musser, 41, admits failing to pay the $5 renewal fee was an oversight on her part, but she had a lot on her mind at the time. The main thing was the diagnosis for advanced ovarian cancer and having to undergo major surgery.

“Your priorities are a little different when you are fighting death,” said her husband, Ozzie Ercan. “It’s easy to lose track of how important those little pieces of paper are.”

Ann Musser of Holyoke was arrested by Massachusetts State Police, on an outstanding arrest warrant issued by Holyoke District Court for failing to appear in court. The court appearance was scheduled last September because Musser had failed to comply with repeated requests from the city of Holyoke in June for her to renew the license for Pumpkin, her 14-year-old family dog.

Musser is the second person arrested in recent weeks over failure to pay a dog license.

The Daily Hampshire Gazette reported last week that Sylvia Buzzell, of Turners Falls, was arrested March 8 on a warrant issued out of Belchertown, where she used to live. Like Musser, Buzzell failed to renew her dog license and then failed to show when summonsed to appear in court. In each case, an arrest warrant was issued.

Holyoke City Clerk Brenna McGee said Tuesday that, strictly speaking, Musser was not arrested for failing to renew her dog license. The warrant was issued because Musser was ordered to appear before a judge but never showed, McGee said.

“It has nothing to do with the dog license. It has nothing to do with a city ordinance,” McGee said. By failing to appear, Musser was in violation of state law, she said.

In Holyoke, dog licenses must be renewed annually. Each year, some 300 of the city’s 3,400 registered dog owners are tardy with their payment and must be sent reminder notices.

McGee said her office sends out three late notices, requesting payment within 21 days. When the 21 days are over, the matter gets forwarded to District Court. Dog owners are summonsed to appear in court, and if they fail to show, the courts issue an arrest warrant.

From the time the first reminder about the dog fee was mailed out, until the time the warrant was issued, Musser should have received seven separate notices in the mail, McGee said.

Musser did come to the clerk’s office to pay the $5 renewal and $25 late fee on Sept. 13, McGee said. But by then a warrant had already been issued by the courts for her arrest.

Paying the late fee, McGee said, “doesn’t make the warrant go away.

"We have nothing to do with that. Once a warrant is issued, it is out of our hands.”

Musser and Ercan say the story is not about their dog license renewal, either. Instead, they say, it is about someone with a life-threatening illness coming face to face with an indifferent and unyielding government bureaucracy.

Musser said she attempted to go to the courts in September to take care of the warrant, but felt the process she was required to go through was literally putting her life in jeopardy.

She said she is at a stage in her treatment where she is neutropenic, or has a very low white blood cell count. White blood cells are the body’s means of fighting off infection. Having a low count means Musser is continually exposed to becoming sick.

Her doctors have warned her that just being in an ordinary crowd puts her in danger of any number of possible airborne viruses. “I don’t even go to the movies any more,” she said.

"Your priorities are a little different when you are fighting death."

But to take care of the warrant, she was told she had to wait in a crowded courtroom until she was called up before the judge. She said she repeatedly told the clerks, bailiffs and court staff about her medical condition and how being in the courtroom was potentially harmful to her health.

She said her protests fell on deaf ears, so she left after waiting for three hours.

“I knew I was taking a risk, but I had paid my fee and the late fee,” she said. “I didn’t know what else to do, so I left, knowing that it could come back to bite me – and it did.”

The bite came Friday evening at about 9:30, when her husband suddenly had a craving for ice cream.

He hopped in the car to go to the corner store, but forgot his wallet with his driver’s license. On the way back, he noticed a state trooper following him and, just before he was about to turn into his driveway, he was pulled over, he said.

The trooper allowed him to go into his house to get his license, but because the car was registered in Musser’s name, he wanted to see her license, too, Ercan said.

And once the trooper ran Musser's license through the computer, it notified him that she was the subject of an arrest warrant.

“They came back and said ‘We’re going to have to arrest you,’” she said.

Prior to the arrest, she had spent the week laid up in the house with bronchitis and a high fever. “I hadn’t left the house in days because I was so sick.”

She said she and her husband tried to explain about her medical condition and how she was vulnerable to infection."They said, 'There's nothing we can do. Sorry, we're going to have to arrest you.' "

The troopers allowed her the opportunity to make sure her children were not watching, then they handcuffed her and put her in the back of a cruiser. “By that time, I started crying,” she said.

“I was in shock. That was the last thing I expected,” Ercan said.

She was booked at the state police barracks in Northampton and then transferred to the Hampshire County House of Correction until her husband bailed her out 4 ½ hours later.

If she thought the crowded courtroom was a threat to her immune system months earlier, she was not prepared for what awaited her in her jail cell.

“I was literally barefoot in a cement cell for an hour and a half. They gave me a blanket that may have been clean, but I didn’t know who used it. There was a mattress, but it had some stuff on it, so I didn’t want to sit on it. And the glass wall had all these finger smears, and it looked like someone spit on the window and it dried there,” she said.

“I didn’t want to touch anything,” she said.

Musser said she hesitates to think what her oncologist will have to say when she tells him about her jail experience.

Ercan said what upsets him most is that, despite their protests about her not being well, they arrested her and took her away anyway.

“I don’t understand how there is no room for different treatment when someone is sick, visibly sick,” he said. “If they had come for her the night before, it’s possible she would not have made it. She was that sick.”

Musser said that she did not believe the troopers knew the particulars behind her warrant until after they got her to the state police barracks and ran her name through a computer.

“I could overhear them saying ‘I didn’t know you could be arrested for that.’”

After that, she said, the handcuffs were taken off and she was left unattended with all her possessions, including her cell phone, on the desk in front of her. Bowing to what she called the absurdity of the situation, she grabbed her phone, turned on the camera, then took a 'selfie' that she sent to her friends.

“I expect absurd things in life,” she said. “We’ve had a lot of absurd things happen to me.”

On Monday, Musser rounded up her documentation showing that she paid the dog license and the late fee and went again to the Holyoke courts. Again, the clerk told her she would have to wait in the courtroom.

When she explained her condition, the clerk said she could sit in the hall and someone would come out to get her when it was time. She asked how long that would be, and was told basically to hurry up and wait.

“So I said while I’m sitting here, I’m going to make phone calls to see who I can find who would be interested in hearing about how a woman with advanced-stage cancer was arrested Friday night and is now sitting in a courtroom the Monday afterward.”

Musser said she watched the clerk go to her phone, and a few moments later someone came out to help her. The warrant was withdrawn without her having to go to the courtroom, she said.

But she got a paper copy anyway.

“I have the piece of paper in case anyone does try to arrest me again,” she said.

“She’s off the streets,” Ercan said with a weary smile.

“Holyoke is safe again,” she replied.

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2014/03/holyoke_woman_sick_with_cancer.html

tod evans
03-27-2014, 04:55 AM
"Public servants" .........:mad:

unknown
03-27-2014, 04:59 AM
"Isolated incident".

phill4paul
03-27-2014, 05:00 AM
"Public servants" .........:mad:

Renew a dog license. Lol. A dog license. If that is not just the silliest shit I have ever heard of I don't know what is.

Mani
03-27-2014, 05:27 AM
There will be so many who justify everything that happened to this woman.

Because they will point out, "She didn't appear in court." thus the warrant was a valid reason.

Or

"The cops had no choice." They were just doing their job, they saw the warrant and had to do their job.

There is soooo much fail in this whole process.

#1) Why the fuck do you even need a license to own a dog?
#2) Why the fuck do you need to renew it every year?
#3) Why the fuck all this license bullshit OVER A 14 YEAR OLD DOG. Odds were against it seeing this whole mess through.It could go anyday give the fucking thing a break.
#3) Why the fuck would the state take something as fucking trivial as a DOG license, and take it to a court level. How about give it to a collection agency or some shit? But a court?
#4) Why the fuck does a court need to have her show up, even if the bill is fucking paid??? How bureaucratic fuck tard is this?
#5) Why the fuck is a cop following a car driving home from getting ice-cream? Is that so fucking goddamn suspicious you need to follow someone from getting ice cream? You seriously have NOTHING BETTER TO DO!?! And he cop didn't pull them over for SPEEDING or seat belts or any other fucking nanny state business. if he's not breaking a law, drive away!!!
#6) Why the fuck do you pull over someone who's not broken any law, and YOU SEE THEY ARE PULLING INTO THEIR DRIVEWAY!?! Are you serious!!! you have NOTHING TO DO but pull someone over who's going into their driveaway????? OMG! You mean you really have nothing better to do?!?! And you got all excited when you saw a warrant and celebrated...YES!!! They didn't break any laws that I could tell, but the GOOD OLE license check came up with a warrant! WOOHOO! Time to put the dying cancer patient in jail.

OK, I'm gonna stop right there. ARGH!!!

phill4paul
03-27-2014, 05:33 AM

Because they will point out, "She didn't appear in court." thus the warrant was a valid reason.

Or

"The cops had no choice." They were just doing their job, they saw the warrant and had to do their job.

#3) Why the fuck all this license bullshit OVER A 14 YEAR OLD DOG. Odds were against it seeing this whole mess through.It could go anyday give the fucking thing a break.
#3) Why the fuck would the state take something as fucking trivial as a DOG license, and take it to a court level. How about give it to a collection agency or some shit? But a court?
#4) Why the fuck does a court need to have her show up, even if the bill is fucking paid??? How bureaucratic fuck tard is this?
#5) Why the fuck is a cop following a car driving home from getting ice-cream? Is that so fucking goddamn suspicious you need to follow someone from getting ice cream? You seriously have NOTHING BETTER TO DO!?! And he cop didn't pull them over for SPEEDING or seat belts or any other fucking nanny state business. if he's not breaking a law, drive away!!!
#6) Why the fuck do you pull over someone who's not broken any law, and YOU SEE THEY ARE PULLING INTO THEIR DRIVEWAY!?! Are you serious!!! you have NOTHING TO DO but pull someone over who's going into their driveaway????? OMG! You mean you really have nothing better to do?!?! And you got all excited when you saw a warrant and celebrated...YES!!! They didn't break any laws that I could tell, but the GOOD OLE license check came up with a warrant! WOOHOO! Time to put the dying cancer patient in jail.

Hey, at least he didn't arrest her in front of her children. That shows some compassion on the part of the trooper. Right?

Root
03-27-2014, 05:36 AM

Or

+Reported

tod evans
03-27-2014, 05:37 AM
Why the fuck?

Power-n-money...

FindLiberty
03-27-2014, 05:41 AM
...she brought this on herself

Scrapmo
03-27-2014, 06:02 AM
A LICENSE FOR A DOG!!?? What kind of bureaucratic shithole is this???

Oh, never mind I see its Massachusetts.

Scrapmo
03-27-2014, 06:13 AM
The trooper allowed him to go into his house to get his license, but because the car was registered in Musser’s name, he wanted to see her license, too, Ercan said.

Wanted to see it but, as far as I know, had no legal right to obtain ID from her until she gave it voluntarily.

"If you have nothing to hide..."

DamianTV
03-27-2014, 07:41 AM
Apparently no one has a "Right" to have a dog. That is why Dog Licenses are issued. You have no "Right", just "Permissions" granted by people who take your money.

fisharmor
03-27-2014, 07:57 AM
“Your priorities are a little different when you are fighting death,” said her husband, Ozzie Ercan. “It’s easy to lose track of how important those little pieces of paper are.”

I think that her situation put crystal clarity on just how important those little pieces of paper are.

DamianTV
03-27-2014, 07:58 AM
I think that her situation put crystal clarity on just how important those little pieces of paper are.[/COLOR]

Paperwork is more important than a Person, if you ask any administrator...

Anti Federalist
03-27-2014, 09:28 AM
Three Felonies a Day.

Philhelm
03-27-2014, 10:02 AM
To think that the interaction with police could have turned sideways and resulted in death, all because of a fucking five dollar dog permission slip.

aGameOfThrones
03-27-2014, 10:05 AM
If you like your pets, you can keep your pets.

jkr
03-27-2014, 10:08 AM
whut the ACTUAL fuc

isnt this EXTORTION?!?!

Anti Federalist
03-27-2014, 10:14 AM
To think that the interaction with police could have turned sideways and resulted in death, all because of a fucking five dollar dog permission slip.

This.

This cannot be emphasized enough.

I know it sucks, but that's why you have cross all your "t"s and dot all your "i"s.

They are wrenching compliance out of us, but the increasingly deadly consequences of any interaction with cops, and the fact that most of your fellow idiot citizens seem to want this, leave little choice.

CCTelander
03-27-2014, 11:02 AM
Ah! The sweet smell of freedom once more wafts across Amerikan skies.

Or is that the gas chambers and ovens?

In this increasingly Orwellian world it's getting difficult to tell.

Kords21
03-27-2014, 11:12 AM
As long as none our brave officers who put their lives on the line to enforce this warrant weren't harmed, then its a good day in Amerika. No public servants harmed and a mundane was put in her place. Just makes me want to stand up and sing God Bless Amerika. /sarcasm.

In all seriousness, this shit is way beyond out of control.

limequat
03-27-2014, 11:13 AM
Does anyone else find it annoying that she expected special treatment as someone with cancer?

Why would you expect special treatment for ANY reason? Either you're one of them, or you're a mundane.

tod evans
03-27-2014, 11:15 AM
As long as none our brave officers who put their lives on the line to enforce this warrant weren't harmed, then its a good day in Amerika. No public servants harmed and a mundane was put in her place. Just makes me want to stand up and sing God Bless Amerika. /sarcasm.

In all seriousness, this shit is way beyond out of control.

FYI, the tax-ticks you reference aren't part of my America....

They're outta control and there's no reigning 'em in peacefully...

HOLLYWOOD
03-27-2014, 11:28 AM
Three Felonies a Day. Government running out of things to arrest? Their futile grasp at justifying their paychecks and existence?

Land of the Free and the home of the Brave... Fireworks, flag waving, WMD flyovers... Obedience Woot!
FREEDOM!

limequat
03-27-2014, 11:28 AM
Sooo...thinking about moving. Anybody been to Costa Rica?

HOLLYWOOD
03-27-2014, 11:47 AM
Sooo...thinking about moving. Anybody been to Costa Rica?Unfortunately, C.R. is completely owned by the U.S. government

jtap
03-27-2014, 12:40 PM
Does anyone else find it annoying that she expected special treatment as someone with cancer?

Why would you expect special treatment for ANY reason? Either you're one of them, or you're a mundane.

She has bigger problems to worry about than cancer, like making sure the Government gets their 5 bucks.

Tod
03-27-2014, 01:17 PM
I have a feeling that karma is going to be a real b*tch for some of these people wearing uniforms.

Pericles
03-27-2014, 01:33 PM
Apparently no one has a "Right" to have a dog. That is why Dog Licenses are issued. You have no "Right", just "Permissions" granted by people who take your money.

Dogs are not mentioned in the Constitution. But you look like the kind of person who would try to make a 9th Amendment case out of that.

tod evans
03-27-2014, 01:35 PM
I have a feeling that karma is going to be a real b*tch for some of these people wearing uniforms.

Soon would be good!

JK/SEA
03-27-2014, 01:45 PM
She has bigger problems to worry about than cancer, like making sure the Government gets their 5 bucks.

thats true. She broke the law.

They didn't shoot the dog?....she needs to thank them for that, pay the fine do the time. Cancer will just have to wait.

Victor Grey
03-27-2014, 03:16 PM
Well I'm sure glad we have such great public servants out there, dutifully collecting the dog tax and keeping society from crumbling into absolute disarray. Thank you servants to us all. Thank you for your dog tax.

That woman clearly threatens social disorder upon use all. Owning dogs without acknowledging the rest of us and honoring those that lead us.

If "we", let her get away with this, all of sudden people might own dogs without paying the dog tax.

Then, there would be chaos.

PRB
03-27-2014, 03:17 PM
couldn't they arrest the dog instead?

Anti Federalist
03-27-2014, 03:51 PM
couldn't they arrest the dog instead?

Well, what will probably happen is they will keep hounding this woman, who doesn't sound like she has much money, until she dies, or they foreclose on her home, at which point they will "seize" the dog, assuming it's still alive, and put it a in shelter.

Where they will kill it.

Good day for the state: one dog and one sick woman: terminated.

Boo Yah!

Philhelm
03-27-2014, 03:55 PM
If "we", let her get away with this, all of sudden people might own dogs without paying the dog tax.

The treacherous road of not obtaining a dog permission slip is far worse - if she was not stopped, the terrorists would win. The police fight us over here so they don't have to fight them over there.

CCTelander
03-27-2014, 04:14 PM
Well, what will probably happen is they will keep hounding this woman, who doesn't sound like she has much money, until she dies, or they foreclose on her home, at which point they will "seize" the dog, assuming it's still alive, and put it a in shelter.

Where they will kill it.

Good day for the state: one dog and one sick woman: terminated.

Boo Yah!

They like it better when their victims are sick or otherwise rendered more or less helpless. Less risk for our brave public servants that way.

Victor Grey
03-27-2014, 04:17 PM
The treacherous road of not obtaining a dog permission slip is far worse - if she was not stopped, the terrorists would win. The police fight us over here so they don't have to fight them over there.

I'd like to respond to that, but it comes to mind that I don't know for certain if it's required or not in my local area, to have a yearly renewed licence, in order for me to lawfully send electronic signals outside of my house.

Apparently, I hear you need a permit, to own or do many things that I'd never imagine any government permit systems would exist toward.

Suddenly I'm wondering just what all is required to hold a license to do.

As a person who'd never scoff at a law, I'll get back to you on responding to that post, after I've dutifully read all arbitrary local regulations in my area, pertaining to the act of every day living, life choices, and personal living habits ect. Just to make sure I'm not breaking one of them and inadvertently cause the world to turn upside down like this dog owner here.

DamianTV
03-27-2014, 04:33 PM
I'd like to respond to that, but it comes to mind that I don't know for certain if it's required or not in my local area, to have a yearly renewed licence, in order for me to lawfully send electronic signals outside of my house.

Apparently, I hear you need a permit, to own or do many things that I'd never imagine any government permit systems would exist toward.

Suddenly I'm wondering just what all is required to hold a license to do.

As a person who'd never scoff at a law, I'll get back to you on responding to that post, after I've dutifully read all arbitrary local regulations in my area, pertaining to the act of every day living, life choices, and personal living habits ect. Just to make sure I'm not breaking one of them and inadvertently cause the world to turn upside down like this dog owner here.

Its far worse than that. The law is two sided. If you do obey, you'll break one law but not another, but if you do not obey the first law, you'l be in violation of the second law. A true to life Catch 22 exists in many situations, damned if you do, damned if you dont.

PRB
03-27-2014, 05:02 PM

No pun intended?

LibForestPaul
03-27-2014, 05:08 PM

All animals are equal. But some are more equal than others.

She's a douche, and the writer is as well.
Hopefully she and her dog will be dead soon so I don't have to support her old ass.

Pericles
03-27-2014, 06:35 PM
People might start to think that they could have a dog whenever and wherever they wanted to.

Right Wing
03-27-2014, 08:50 PM
I hope the nazi thugs of the fourth reich are proud of themselves.

Anti Federalist
03-27-2014, 08:57 PM
No pun intended?

I see what I did there.

Danke
03-27-2014, 09:07 PM
Some day people will understand that most of these laws don't apply to them. Just like the income tax.

Anti Federalist
03-27-2014, 09:27 PM
Some day people will understand that most of these laws don't apply to them. Just like the income tax.

The problem is that these guys say that they do apply:

http://cops.usdoj.gov/html/dispatch/12-2013/images/militarization.jpg

kcchiefs6465
03-27-2014, 09:31 PM

http://cops.usdoj.gov/html/dispatch/12-2013/images/militarization.jpg
And the further problem:

No one, absent a few, give a fuck.

Danke
03-27-2014, 09:31 PM

I agree. As long as we stand by, they can do as they wish.

Anti Federalist
03-27-2014, 11:18 PM
And the further problem:

No one, absent a few, give a fuck.

Which is why, as brother Danke noted, we stand by...

JK/SEA
03-28-2014, 08:56 AM
boot licking sister in law coming over this week end.....i'm feeling a rant coming on.....hope she's ready. I got my Radley Balko book on the coffee table....

Pericles
03-28-2014, 09:59 AM
Which is why, as brother Danke noted, we stand by...

And if the people who are capable of these outrages think that that's all you're going to do, they will continue to commit these outrages - Cap Weinberger

Philhelm
03-28-2014, 12:24 PM
boot licking sister in law coming over this week end.....i'm feeling a rant coming on.....hope she's ready. I got my Radley Balko book on the coffee table....

If she licks boots, perhaps you should ask her what else she would lick.

phill4paul
03-28-2014, 12:31 PM

I double dog dare you to use the word "Copsucker" in conversation.

limequat
03-28-2014, 01:34 PM

Is she a mother? Cue up the Miriam Carey execution and loop it on the TV.

tod evans
03-28-2014, 01:38 PM

Have a smiley to share;

"Copsucker"
http://www.mydisplayimage.com/blog/premium/anim_blowjob.gif