PDA

View Full Version : State Sen. Leland Yee indicted for public corruption in major FBI operation

aGameOfThrones
03-26-2014, 11:19 AM
SAN FRANCISCO -- State Senator Leland Yee has been indicted for public corruption as part of a major FBI operation Tuesday morning spanning the Bay Area, according to law-enforcement sources.

Yee, D-San Francisco, highlights a string of multiple arrests that also includes infamous Chinatown gangster Raymond "Shrimp Boy" Chow, connected to a variety of charges including racketeering and drug crimes, sources said.

FBI agents and local police are serving arrest and search warrants throughout the Bay Area, with agents seen in locations in San Francisco and San Mateo, as well as Yee's Capitol office in Sacramento. One of the searches was at the San Francisco Chinatown office of the Gee King Tong Free Masons and is linked to Chow's arrest.

Targets of the early-morning raids are expected to appear in federal court in San Francisco this afternoon.

Yee's indictment likely ruins his candidacy for Secretary of State, and threatens Democrats' ability to restore the state Senate supermajority that already has been broken by two other lawmakers' paid leaves of absence to deal with criminal charges.

Federal law enforcement officials have been chasing Raymond "Shrimp Boy" Chow for decades, branding him one of the longtime Bay Area leaders of a Hong Kong-based criminal syndicate called the Wo Hop To. Chow's criminal rap sheet dates back to 1978, and includes multiple federal racketeering indictments that have included allegations of attempted murder, murder-for-hire, gun trafficking and other crimes.

ee is the state's third Democratic legislator recently tied to corruption allegations. In February, State Sen. Ron Calderon, D-Montebello, surrendered to authorities after being indicted on bribery charges. In January, Assemblyman Roderick Wright, D-Inglewood, was convicted of voter fraud and perjury stemming from a 2010 indictment.

Cressman, who until last June was vice president of the non-partisan government watchdog group Common Cause, issued a statement Wednesday morning saying that Yee's indictment must be "a wake-up call" given other Senate Democrats' criminal charges.

"We are clearly beyond the point of looking at one bad apple and instead looking at a corrupt institution in the California senate," Cressman said. "The constant begging for campaign cash clearly has a corrosive effect on a person's soul and the only solution is to get big money out of our politics once and for all."

more: http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-courts/ci_25423273/bay-area-fbi-serving-multiple-arrest-search-warrants

oyarde
03-26-2014, 11:35 AM
They need a large gallows in the Bay area.

tsai3904
03-26-2014, 11:35 AM
That makes three current CA state Senators indicted or convicted of felonies. Two are indicted for public corruption and one has been convicted of 8 counts of felony voter fraud.

phill4paul
03-26-2014, 12:36 PM
The FBI just got Charlotte N.C. Mayor Patrick Cannon on corruption charges today. Busy beavers, they.

http://www.wcnc.com/news/politics/bBreakingb-Mayor-Patrick-Cannon-arrested-for-public-corruption-252483281.html

Keith and stuff
03-26-2014, 12:43 PM
The FBI just got Charlotte N.C. Mayor Patrick Cannon on corruption charges today. Busy beavers, they.

http://www.wcnc.com/news/politics/bBreakingb-Mayor-Patrick-Cannon-arrested-for-public-corruption-252483281.html

From coast to coast, elected Democrats are being arrested by the FBI today.

tod evans
03-26-2014, 12:51 PM
I really hope this is the beginning of government eating itself.....

phill4paul
03-26-2014, 01:07 PM
From coast to coast, elected Democrats are being arrested by the FBI today.

Is the Obama administration targeting them? :eek:

Keith and stuff
03-26-2014, 01:12 PM

Seems like business as usual. 1,000s of corrupt politicians. A few of them get punished every now and then to keep up appearances...

devil21
03-26-2014, 01:21 PM

Why now and why those targets? This could get very interesting!

Keith and stuff
03-26-2014, 01:26 PM
Why now and why those targets? This could get very interesting!
They spent 4 years trying to get him from what I read. Now that he is the mayor, he has real power.

tod evans
03-26-2014, 01:29 PM
Seems like business as usual. 1,000s of corrupt politicians. A few of them get punished every now and then to keep up appearances...

I'm trying to be optimistic...:o

devil21
03-26-2014, 01:36 PM
They spent 4 years trying to get him from what I read. Now that he is the mayor, he has real power.

It amazes me really. If that's true (it's the word of the cops, after all, and we know how much that's usually worth this early in a case), then it's unbelievable to me that Cannon would have been allowed to become Mayor of my city in the first place, knowing he was going to be arrested eventually. So much for the FBI actually protecting us from predatory politicians. There's gotta be some political basis for the timing and the targets if it was allowed to go on that long.

phill4paul
03-26-2014, 01:39 PM
It amazes me really. If that's true (it's the word of the cops, after all, and we know how much that's usually worth this early in a case), then it's unbelievable to me that Cannon would have been allowed to become Mayor of my city in the first place, knowing he was going to be arrested eventually. So much for the FBI actually protecting us from predatory politicians. There's gotta be some political basis for the timing and the targets if it was allowed to go on that long.

They spent four years building a case. It wasn't public knowledge. And Charlotte is Democrat through and through.

devil21
03-26-2014, 01:44 PM
They spent four years building a case. It wasn't public knowledge. And Charlotte is Democrat through and through.

Im just saying that if the guy was corrupt and they knew it long ago, I'm disappointed that the feds allowed him to win first before arresting him. I don't know if it's Democrat through-and-through (some districts are staunch RED) but yeah Dems do win general city and county-wide elections more and it's getting worse. This might take some wind out of their sails for November though.....so maybe that's a positive.

phill4paul
03-26-2014, 01:52 PM
Im just saying that if the guy was corrupt and they knew it long ago, I'm disappointed that the feds allowed him to win first before arresting him. I don't know if it's Democrat through-and-through (some districts are staunch RED) but yeah Dems do win general city and county-wide elections more and it's getting worse. This might take some wind out of their sails for November though.....so maybe that's a positive.

Perhaps they did not have a solid case until just recently? I dunno.

Keith and stuff
03-26-2014, 03:31 PM
Democrat R.I. House Speaker Resigning Day After Federal, State Authorities Raid His Office and Home
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/03/22/democrat-r-i-house-speaker-resigning-day-after-federal-state-authorities-raid-his-office-and-home/

The Friday raids were carried out by the U.S. attorney’s office, FBI, IRS and state police. Boxes of evidence were carried off, but officials have not said whom or what they are investigating.

FindLiberty
03-26-2014, 07:45 PM

Yea, lots of prison time ...and maybe some fries with that? (Electric Chair)

oyarde
03-26-2014, 10:44 PM
Perhaps they did not have a solid case until just recently? I dunno.

Rumors I have been hearing is , citizen watch groups have been tipping off fbi on these , probably feel that local authorities are already compromised .....

HOLLYWOOD
03-26-2014, 10:59 PM
small and medium fish... when do they go after the big fish that have been swimming in the Washington DC cess pool forever.

oyarde
03-26-2014, 11:01 PM
small and medium fish... when do they go after the big fish that have been swimming in the Washington DC cess pool forever.

I could go with some Harry Reid ...

mad cow
03-26-2014, 11:52 PM
This dude was also a major anti-gun politician and they busted him for gun trafficking. :D

Senator Yee had made repeated attempts to outlaw popular semi-automatic rifles, and his most recent effort, SB 374, was vetoed by Governor Jerry Brown last year. Yee had vowed to reintroduce the legislation again in 2014, but will likely be more concerned about finding a good defense lawyer instead.

The LA Times reported:

Federal prosecutors unsealed an indictment against state Sen. Leland Yee in court Wednesday, accusing him of conspiring to commit wire fraud and traffic firearms.

In all, 26 people, including former school board president Keith Jackson, were indicted on charges related to an extensive crime ring headed by well-known Chinatown figure Raymond Chow, who was also arrested and charged Wednesday.

The indictment alleges Yee and Jackson defrauded “citizens of honest services” and were involved in a scheme to traffic firearms in exchange for thousands in campaign donations to the senator.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2014/03/you-just-cant-make-this-up-anti-gun-democrat-arrested-for-trafficking-guns/

GunnyFreedom
03-27-2014, 12:04 AM

Hey, our corrupt criminal elected person at least had the good sense to resign when he was charged. Your move California. Will your corrupt criminal elected person be as graceful as our corrupt criminal elected person? :p :D

GunnyFreedom
03-27-2014, 12:06 AM

That explains Pat McCrony.

OK that sounds like a snarky joke but it really wasn't...

Weston White
03-27-2014, 01:11 AM
"The constant begging for campaign cash clearly has a corrosive effect on a person's soul and the only solution is to get big money out of our politics once and for all."

Maybe it is just me, but when I read that I am only envisioning another, yet one more, excuse for more states taxes.

devil21
03-27-2014, 01:40 AM
Hey, our corrupt criminal elected person at least had the good sense to resign when he was charged. Your move California. Will your corrupt criminal elected person be as graceful as our corrupt criminal elected person? :p :D

He didn't have the nuts to go in front of the cameras though. An email resignation.

Should Edwin Peacock be appointed Mayor? I don't support the notion that Mayor Pro Tem should be one of his fellow City Council members. Peacock was his opponent in the general. I don't like him but reason dictates Peacock should be appointed Mayor now.

eta: City regulations require the appointed Mayor to be of same party as disgraced Mayor. That makes a lot of sense....../s

jkob
03-27-2014, 12:11 PM
bump

this story is amazing, anti-gun crusader gets busted for gun trafficking possibly to Islamic terrorists in the Philippines

HOLLYWOOD
03-27-2014, 12:15 PM
within hours, Out On Bail... "JUST-US" system strikes again

If convicted on all charges, Yee could face more than 100 years in prison. His bail was set at $500,000, unsecured, with the provision that he not leave the state.

juleswin
03-27-2014, 12:21 PM

I doubt it, maybe these are the ones that have gone way over the top or the crossed for higher upon is like. Government without corruption movie theater without expensive popcorn. It can happen but its not gonna happen

pcosmar
03-27-2014, 12:26 PM
The FBI is a political machine,, a political tool. It always has been.

I can't help but wonder what is behind this.

Pericles
03-27-2014, 01:37 PM

Who do you think is behind this? They are eliminating potential competitors.

mad cow
03-27-2014, 01:51 PM
According to The LA Times, the indictment alleges Yee and "former school board president Keith Jackson... were involved in a scheme to traffic firearms in exchange for thousands in campaign donations to [Yee]."
The Associated Press reports that Yee was to receive campaign donations in exchange for various favors, including acquiring arms from a Muslim rebel group. The people with whom the deals were made turned out to be undercover FBI agents.
According to the Associated Press:
Yee discussed helping the agent get weapons worth $500,000 to $2.5 million, including shoulder fired automatic weapons and missiles, and took him through the entire process of acquiring them from a Muslim separatist group in the Philippines to bringing them to the United States, according to the affidavit by FBI Special Agent Emmanuel V. Pascua.
According to Project Vote Smart, Yee voted "yea" for the proposed California assault weapons ban (SB 374) in 2013. He also voted "yea" for the ban on lead hunting ammunition and "yea" for background checks for ammunition purchases.
Yee was a co-sponsor of SB 755, which expanded the "list of crimes that disqualify an individual from firearm ownership."
Link:http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/03/26/CA-State-Senator-Who-Supported-Assault-Weapons-Ban-Indicted-On-Arms-Trafficking

Throw away the key.

Pericles
03-27-2014, 01:54 PM
Link:http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/03/26/CA-State-Senator-Who-Supported-Assault-Weapons-Ban-Indicted-On-Arms-Trafficking

Throw away the key.

Being an anti gun politician is not proof that you are a criminal, just prima facie evidence that you probably are a crook.

BuddyRey
03-27-2014, 06:37 PM
This story needs to get a lot more press than it's getting. This guy was a top gun-grabber in CA along with Feinstein and the usual suspects, and now he's been exposed as a gun-runner and common thug, no better than any Blood or Crip.

angelatc
03-27-2014, 06:45 PM
Being an anti gun politician is not proof that you are a criminal, just prima facie evidence that you probably are a crook.

If guns were legal, his business would dry up.

aGameOfThrones
03-27-2014, 09:48 PM
This story needs to get a lot more press than it's getting. This guy was a top gun-grabber in CA along with Feinstein and the usual suspects, and now he's been exposed as a gun-runner and common thug, no better than any Blood or Crip.

http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/8-20-2013/BL4_fF.gif

puppetmaster
03-28-2014, 05:26 AM
Not much press for shore!

vita3
03-28-2014, 05:30 AM

too bad Ron Paul's TV & media channel is charging $$ to see it & playing to the same circle, rather than EXPANDING.

oyarde
03-28-2014, 09:40 AM
The FBI is a political machine,, a political tool. It always has been.

I can't help but wonder what is behind this.
The unanswered question is , where were the RPG's going that were coming in ?

oyarde
03-28-2014, 09:42 AM
I reckon , one of the Mexican cartels .

osan
03-28-2014, 03:11 PM
Throw away the key Yee.

Fixed it fer ye.

devil21
10-21-2014, 08:06 PM
Yee's case is still meandering through the federal system and has expanded to at least 28 defendants in a RICO organized crime case. Allegations of large scale drug and gun running, along with Yee's political favors for kickback allegations

Cannon took a plea agreement with a 44 month prison sentence and will be starting his prison sentence shortly.