PDA

View Full Version : College Students Fail to Name a Single U.S. Senator

mad cow
03-26-2014, 10:45 AM
Last week, MRCTV's Dan Joseph went to American University to give the student body a little general knowledge quiz.

When asked if they could name a SINGLE U.S. senator, the students blanked. Also, very few knew that each state has two senators. The guesses were all over the map, with some crediting each state with twelve, thirteen, and five senators.

- See more at: http://cnsnews.com/mrctv-blog/matt-vespa/college-students-fail-name-single-us-senator#sthash.HzomkBJG.YEKhwE3H.dpuf

We are so screwed.Video at link.

American University is located in Washington DC for pity's sake.

From Wiki: "AU was named the "most politically active school" in the nation in The Princeton Review's annual survey of college students in 2008, 2010, and 2012."

youngbuck
03-26-2014, 10:54 AM
Lol, can't say I've seen the movie Frozen, and even if I did, I definitely wouldn't know the names of any of the songs on its soundtrack. Yea, we're screwed.

mczerone
03-26-2014, 10:54 AM
We are so over DC.

Good for them for not logging into MyState to keep up with the fogeys

AuH20
03-26-2014, 10:56 AM
We need to take out more credit lines so these kids can acquire their degree. LOL

aGameOfThrones
03-26-2014, 11:15 AM
Who is the president of the united states senate?

Obama, duh.

Snew
03-26-2014, 11:22 AM
We are so over DC.

Reported! How dare you question the authority of our empire's dear leaders!

Lindsey
03-26-2014, 11:39 AM
I would've totally bombed the "Let it go" question. Really didn't even know there was a movie called "Frozen."

The one person who named a senator named Rand Paul though, so that's a bright spot in this video.

mad cow
03-26-2014, 11:46 AM
I would've totally bombed the "Let it go" question. Really didn't even know there was a movie called "Frozen."

The one person who named a senator named Rand Paul though, so that's a bright spot in this video.

Same here,even after they played some of the song,I have never heard it or heard of the movie.

And yeah,that one person who could name one senator naming Rand Paul was neat.

Philhelm
03-26-2014, 12:06 PM
Same here,even after they played some of the song,I have never heard it or heard of the movie.

And yeah,that one person who could name one senator naming Rand Paul was neat.

I think that it would be a safe assumption that the sort of person who would name Rand Paul could name a few senators at least.

mad cow
03-26-2014, 12:21 PM
I think that it would be a safe assumption that the sort of person who would name Rand Paul could name a few senators at least.

Maybe,or maybe he heard the name on The Daily Show or Rachel Maddow one time and it stuck.

MRK
03-26-2014, 12:23 PM
Do you want to . . . build a snowman?

Even Khmer girls love some Frozen

green73
04-03-2014, 04:40 AM
We are so over DC.

Rockwell's take: College Kids Unbrainwashed About Politics

http://www.lewrockwell.com/lrc-blog/college-kids-unbrainwashed-about-politics/

FloralScent
04-03-2014, 06:32 AM
Honestly, I've checked out to the point where I can only name about 5.

keh10
04-03-2014, 06:43 AM
You only need to know the names of a handful. The rest are basically all the same person: Generic Shitty Senator.

Spikender
04-03-2014, 06:49 AM
As long as they know all the latest video games coming out and all the names of the characters on My Little Pony, we'll be fine.

KingNothing
04-03-2014, 07:30 AM
Honestly, I've checked out to the point where I can only name about 5.

Off the top of my head:

Paul, Lee, Rubio, McCain, Graham, McConnell, Boxer, Flake, Scott, Klobuchar, Franken, Ayotte, Booker, Toomey, Barrasso, Thune, Wyden, Sanders, Cruz, Cornyn, Levin, Reid, Durbin, Schumer, Feinstein, Murkowski, Chambliss, McCaskill

I'm sure I missed some easy ones. FWIW, when I was 18, I could have probably only named one or two. Senators are easier now, though, because they stick around for so long. Just paying some attention to the news over a decade gives you a chance to hear their names over and over again.

Now, if you ask me to name House members, well.... ummm.... there's Pelosi, Amash, Massie and Bentiovillio. I don't even know who mine is at this point.

MRK
04-03-2014, 07:52 AM
If you watch the video, there is actually one Senator that gets mentioned by a student: Rand Paul ;)

AuH20
04-03-2014, 08:12 AM
Just when your blood starts to boil about the baby boomers, you then realize that a more clueless and compliant generation was just offloaded the conveyor belt. LOL

eduardo89
04-03-2014, 08:17 AM
Lol, can't say I've seen the movie Frozen, and even if I did, I definitely wouldn't know the names of any of the songs on its soundtrack. Yea, we're screwed.

Let It Go is the main song, sung by Elsa who is the Ice Queen.

My 3 year old daughter is obsessed with Frozen...

Spikender
04-03-2014, 08:18 AM
...sung by Elsa who is the Ice Queen.

Start calling Nancy Pelosi "The Ice Queen" and we'll start educating the masses.

eduardo89
04-03-2014, 08:57 AM
Start calling Nancy Pelosi "The Ice Queen" and we'll start educating the masses.

Elsa is just misunderstood, though. She's not possessed by Satan like Pelosi.