PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Gang Documentary Accidentally Exposes Overly Harsh and Racist CA Gang Laws

dannno
03-25-2014, 03:03 PM
This is a documentary called "Life Facing Bars" which is designed to show young children in order to keep them away from gangs. It was funded by law enforcement and produced by a University film major.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wal5QFvTSWw

Article:
http://www.independent.com/news/2014/mar/24/police-produce-anti-gang-documentary/

My initial comment:

I'm still way more in fear of the encroaching police state than I am of gangs.

http://www.securitydegreehub.com/wp-c...

It seems like the biggest victims of gangs are the gang members themselves, whether it is what they do to themselves or what the legal system does to them.

If there is one thing this documentary taught me it is how overly harsh and racist gang laws already are in this state. So if you are white and you are with your friend and you steal a bag of chips and you get in a fight you get 2, 3 or 5 years but if you are Mexican and you steal a bag of chips with your friend and you get in a fight you can get 12, 13 or 15 years? And stealing a bag of chips is some how aiding the gang? Throw a beer bottle at somebody and get 18 years cause you're Mexican and in a gang? Most of this isn't gang activity it is young kids doing dumb sht then getting trapped in the system.

The other problem I have with the documentary is how they say that all gang camaraderie is fake. If you're going to lie about this sht to children, you're going to lose your credibility when they get older and it is going to want to make them join the gang even more. Didn't we learn this with DARE and lying to kids about drugs? Now, there is some truth because there is a lot of fake gang camaraderie and manipulation that occurs and it is important to show that side, but when you are a one way propaganda communication vessel things may look good at the outset but it's not going to be a good longterm strategy.

I don't suggest kids get involved with gangs, but we should look at the main cause for gangs and gang activity and that is the war on drugs. If drugs were legalized gangs would mostly vanish. They would have no territory to protect, no drugs to sell and the police could focus on real crimes.

I am met with both agreement and disagreement in the comment section, it continues..

PRB
03-25-2014, 03:09 PM
This is a documentary called "Life Facing Bars" which is designed to show young children in order to keep them away from gangs. It was funded by law enforcement and produced by a University film major.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wal5QFvTSWw

Article:
http://www.independent.com/news/2014/mar/24/police-produce-anti-gang-documentary/

My initial comment:

I am met with both agreement and disagreement in the comment section, it continues..

the opposite is sometimes true too, that a white person beating a black person may have a higher chance of being considered hate crime than vice versa.

dannno
03-25-2014, 03:12 PM
One of the things I didn't really bring up in my comments and you wouldn't know unless you watched the documentary is how they have completely overdone "guilt by association". If you are merely hanging out with a gang member and a crime is committed, then you can be held responsible for the crime and are tried as if you are apart of the gang.... even if you had no idea they were even in a gang and didn't participate in the crime.. It's completely nuts.

dannno
03-25-2014, 03:13 PM
the opposite is sometimes true too, that a white person beating a black person may have a higher chance of being considered hate crime than vice versa.

Ya there are like ten people in prison because of that and millions from the racist unjust drug/gang laws.

tod evans
03-25-2014, 03:13 PM
Good grief danno, think of the children....:rolleyes:

dannno
03-25-2014, 03:21 PM
Good grief danno, think of the children....:rolleyes:

I am.. (I know ur being sarcastic) but I mean seriously, they will watch this and be like, "Wow, I'm never joining a gang.. Gangs are no fun and everybody just ends up going to jail for the rest of their life!"

Then they get older and their friends join up, start making money, fucking hot girls in their school and partying and then they are going to think the people who made the documentary are either lying or don't know how to have a good time.. So they'll join up not realizing that a lot of what the documentary talked about, how the gang uses kids as pawns and might not be there for you if you need them and will turn on you if you fall short and may manipulate you or get you hurt or killed or in prison ARE ALL REALITIES...

But to ignore the profits of the drug war that fuel raging parties and drop the panties of all the hot hood rats not only misses the mark on the fun scale but it also ignores the broader issue of the drug war and how if drugs were legalized these institutions would largely vanish.

tod evans
03-25-2014, 03:33 PM
But to ignore the profits of the drug war that fuel raging parties and drop the panties of all the hot hood rats not only misses the mark on the fun scale but it also ignores the broader issue of the drug war and how if drugs were legalized these institutions would largely vanish.

Prisons and the enforcement class too!

What would thousands of double-digiters do for work if they couldn't be members of the "Just-Us" department?

PRB
03-25-2014, 03:50 PM
Ya there are like ten people in prison because of that and millions from the racist unjust drug/gang laws.

if you're suggesting victims of racism are more than victims of anti-racism or reverse racism, I'm with you.