PDA

View Full Version : Denver police: accidental discharge due to gun mounted flashlights

phill4paul
03-24-2014, 07:42 AM
File under "only highly trained law enforcement personnel should be allowed firearms."

Denver's police chief said Thursday he has ordered extra training and a review of department policies after the second accidental shooting by an officer this month and the fifth in a little over a year.

Police are still investigating the latest shooting Sunday night, but at least two of the accidental shootings have been blamed on gun-mounted tactical flashlights. Such lights have also been cited in other accidental police shootings across the country, including one that killed a man in Texas.

The latest incident happened Sunday night near the intersection of South Federal Boulevard and West Alameda Avenue. An officer chasing several car-theft suspects unintentionally fired his gun before taking one adult and three juveniles into custody. No one was hit.

That incident came less than a week after another in which an officer's gun accidentally went off while he was chasing a man suspected of a probation violation. A bystander was wounded in that incident, though it remains unclear whether she was grazed by the bullet or debris from its impact.

The department had three accidental shootings last year.

White said he is thankful no one has been seriously injured in the shootings. But he said the incidents are particularly troubling because accidental shootings are "more often than not a sign of negligence on the part of the officer."

Nationally, at least two men have been shot by officers who fired their handguns when they meant to flip a flashlight switch beneath the trigger.

In Plano, Texas, a narcotics sergeant accidentally pulled the trigger instead of the flashlight switch on his gun as he approached a suspected drug dealer. The shot killed 25-year-old Anthony Alcala. In the Bronx, an officer trying to switch on his pistol's flashlight accidentally shot an unarmed 76-year-old man, Jose Colon, in the stomach. Colon survived.

Ken Cooper, a New York firearms and use-of-force instructor, served as an expert consultant to Alcala's family, who ultimately settled their lawsuit with flashlight maker SureFire LLC. Cooper said SureFire originally developed the flashlight for Navy SEALs but then sold it to police agencies, as well.

"When that happens, the difference between law enforcement and Navy SEALS is thousands of hours of training," Cooper said.

The benefit of the product, he said, is "you can actually operate the gun and the flashlight in one hand." But, in stressful situations, the more complicated the setup of the gun, the more danger there is for mistakes, Cooper said.

"Your brain gets cross-wired, and things can happen," he said.

Read more: Gun-mounted flashlights spark concerns in wake of accidental Denver police shootings - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_25387704/denver-police-chief-orders-added-training-after-accidental#ixzz2wt4sk56O
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
Follow us: @Denverpost on Twitter | Denverpost on Facebook

tod evans
03-24-2014, 07:45 AM
Flashlights are complex for the brave officers..

More tax-payer funded training is required as well as counseling, vacations and bonuses....

aGameOfThrones
03-24-2014, 08:48 AM
Why do they call them "accidental?"

kathy88
03-24-2014, 09:04 AM
Retarded idea is retarded.

VIDEODROME
03-24-2014, 09:16 AM
Do they think the trigger is the off-switch?

youngbuck
03-24-2014, 10:04 AM
What would happen to me if I fumbled with my pistol in public and had a accidental negligent discharge? The pig should be charged.

nobody's_hero
03-24-2014, 02:33 PM
Carrying a flashlight and crossing the arms works just as well. Some techniques here:

http://www.usacarry.com/6-flashlight-shooting-techniques-you-must-know/

phill4paul
03-24-2014, 02:36 PM
What would happen to me if I fumbled with my pistol in public and had a accidental negligent discharge? The pig should be charged.

Paid vacation and additional training at taxpayer expense? Hahaha. I crack myself up, sometimes.

Pericles
03-24-2014, 02:53 PM
There is nothing that says "here I am - shoot me" like a flashlight.