PDA

View Full Version : SCOTUS doesn't know diddly about national security. Truly stupid my court has the last word.

aGameOfThrones
03-22-2014, 08:25 PM
Justice Antonin Scalia hinted that the Supreme Court will rule on National Security Agency domestic surveillance, while talking in a packed Brooklyn auditorium on Friday night.

The topic of the NSA's controversial surveillance of telephone metadata came up during a laughter-filled Q&A between Scalia and Judge Andrew Napolitano, a faculty member at Brooklyn Law School and a close personal friend of the justice he accidentally called "Nino."

While suggesting that the high court will take up NSA surveillance, Scalia expressed his opinion that judges should not be deciding matters of national security.

"The Supreme Court doesn't know diddly about the nature and extent of the threat," Scalia said. Later on, he added, "It's truly stupid that my court is going to be the last word on it."

Still, he hinted he would rule that NSA surveillance does not violate the Constitution if and when the issue comes before the Supreme Court. Although one judge has ruled the spying violates the Fourth Amendment, Scalia may disagree based on his strict interpretation of the Constitution.

The text of the Fourth Amendment bars unwarranted searches of "persons, houses, papers, and effects." But, as Scalia told the audience, "conversations are quite different" from all four of those things.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/scalia-hints-nsa-surveillance-going-110214589.html

Lucille
03-23-2014, 09:43 AM
I have no doubt that our black-robed overlords will sign off on the NSA's unconstitutional spying on everyone, everywhere, all the time, with their usual tortured logic. Also, public safety.

The text of the Fourth Amendment bars unwarranted searches of "persons, houses, papers, and effects." But, as Scalia told the audience, "conversations are quite different" from all four of those things.

SMH. Because telephones hadn't been invented yet? Does this bastard really think the Founders would have not protected telephone calls?

We are so screwed.

How strangely will the Tools of a Tyrant pervert the plain Meaning of Words!
--Samuel Adams