PDA

View Full Version : Red light cameras work: Driver gets ticket for car he doesn't own in a city he has never been

aGameOfThrones
03-22-2014, 07:51 PM
For weeks, Andrew Rainey of Orlando, Florida has been fighting a red light camera ticket he received for a car he doesn’t own, and never drove, from a camera in a city he’s never been to. As reported by WFTV Channel 9, Miami-Dade County sent the 20-year-old student the ticket along with a picture of what the court was claiming to be his car committing the violation.

http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/bdUY0LQn7WtsFevAcMDiXg--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://l.yimg.com/os/publish-images/news/2014-03-21/42b64a40-b136-11e3-a805-e7f6b75214cf_license-plate.png

The license plate shown in the fuzzy pictures sent by Miami-Dade County looked very similar to Rainey’s license plate, but the fourth letter was questionable and could be a “D,” “Q,” or “0.”

Aside from that point, Rainey saw a more obvious discrepancy. “Immediately I noticed the roundness of the car. I was like, my car’s a truck. It has a square back,” said Rainey.

With that evidence, Mr. Rainey called the courts to get the ticket dismissed, thinking it would be a simple matter to clear up. It wasn’t. “They told me I’d have to take it up with the Miami-Dade court,” Rainey recounted. He would have to travel to Miami to appeal the ticket in person. While the busy student with two jobs can’t afford to take the trip, he is now trying to make it to Miami because if it isn’t resolved Rainey says, “it’s pending on suspending my license.”

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/oddnews/driver-given-red-light-camera-ticket-for-car-he-doesn%E2%80%99t-own--has-never-driven--from-a-city-he%E2%80%99s-never-visited-202848382.html

Dr.3D
03-22-2014, 07:55 PM
When I was in the Navy, they told us to stay out of the red light districts.

DamianTV
03-22-2014, 07:57 PM
When I was in the Navy, they told us to stay out of the red light districts.

The entire United States IS a Red Light District.

ClydeCoulter
03-22-2014, 08:02 PM
ROFL, that first one is a picture? Really? I'd be ashamed if that's the best I could come up with to accuse someone of anything! What a farce!

Dr.3D
03-22-2014, 08:23 PM
court was claiming to be his car committing the violation.
If it was the car that was committing the violation, arrest the car, not the man.

How would anybody know who was driving the car anyway?

phill4paul
03-22-2014, 08:26 PM
We have irrefutable evidence, prove your innocents.

Henry Rogue
03-22-2014, 10:37 PM
Innocent or guilty, revenue is revenue.

MRK
03-22-2014, 11:21 PM
You know what the best part is?

There's a dire shortage of parking outside the Miami-Dade courthouse. Except at the county's parking lot, which charges pretty high rates per amount of time. So even if he goes there, nevermind the gas expense and running a gauntlet of more red light cameras on the way, he's still going to end up paying the county.

unknown
03-23-2014, 02:05 AM
Guilty until proven slave.

Peace&Freedom
03-23-2014, 09:43 AM
So a camera plus computer system can remotely send a ticket to somebody, but for them to fight it, they have to travel across the country and appear in person?

Only in Amerikkka. We are now close to the point where the 'misapplication' example I use as a prime argument for tax honesty ("if you live in Seattle but get a letter saying you owe taxes/fines in Miami, would you pay it?") has become reality.

Keith and stuff
03-23-2014, 11:54 AM
FL should join a bunch of other states and ban the use of these cameras. Shameful!

Anti Federalist
03-23-2014, 12:00 PM
With that evidence, Mr. Rainey called the courts to get the ticket dismissed, thinking it would be a simple matter to clear up. It wasn’t. “They told me I’d have to take it up with the Miami-Dade court,” Rainey recounted. He would have to travel to Miami to appeal the ticket in person. While the busy student with two jobs can’t afford to take the trip, he is now trying to make it to Miami because if it isn’t resolved Rainey says, “it’s pending on suspending my license.”

Oh STFU and quit whining. You're guilty, the matrix says so.

Freedumb.

<belch>

Feeding the Abscess
03-23-2014, 12:28 PM
This happened to me. I live in southern California, and apparently was captured on camera in the Bay Area running a light or something. Fun times.