PDA

View Full Version : 6,200 German companies face catastrophe over Russian sanctions

green73
03-22-2014, 05:47 AM
Don't these ingrates know it's for the Greater Good™?

(Reuters) - If an escalation of Europe's stand-off with Moscow over Ukraine results in economic sanctions, more than 6,000 German companies who do business with Russia would suffer catastrophic losses, Germany's main trade body has warned.

"About 6,200 German companies are engaged in Russia, some of them very strongly," Anton Boerner, head of the BGA exporters' body, told the Dortmunder Ruhr Nachrichten newspaper in an interview published on Friday. "For them, economic sanctions would be a real catastrophe."

European Union leaders, including Chancellor Angela Merkel who played a leading role in the frustrated attempt to persuade Russian President Vladimir Putin not to annex Ukraine's Crimean peninsula, have retaliated with travel bans and asset freezes on 33 people close to Putin and are preparing economic sanctions.

Boerner said energy prices would rise if the crisis endures but Moscow was unlikely to cut off all of its energy deliveries to Germany, which imports more than 30 percent of its oil and gas from Russia.

Germany's "wise men" council of economic advisers said on Thursday the Ukraine crisis was the biggest threat to global growth, and especially Germany, because of Russia's importance of an energy exporter.

The BGA said last week that while a trade conflict would be damaging for Germany, "for the Russian economy it would be life-threatening". Bilateral trade with Russia, which totals about 76 billion euros, fell last year.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/21/us-ukraine-germany-exports-idUSBREA2K0FH20140321

Origanalist
03-22-2014, 09:12 AM
Wars have started over this sort of thing.

Uriah
03-22-2014, 10:02 AM

Yep...

Let's just move on. Crimea is part of Russia now and nothing short of WWIII will change that.

Kords21
03-22-2014, 10:04 AM
Tell me again how Ron and Rand Paul are the isolationists?

angelatc
03-22-2014, 10:50 AM
I don't know why we even have subforums, when nobody bother to post anywhere except General politics. This belongs in Foreign Affairs.

Henry Rogue
03-22-2014, 11:04 AM
Gangs of thugs vying for control of a land and the people that call it home, creating barriers and poverty for all subordinate subjects involved. What could be more general, politically than that?

Tod
03-22-2014, 11:11 AM
I don't know why we even have subforums, when nobody bother to post anywhere except General politics. This belongs in Foreign Affairs.

That's the problem with so many sub-forums. When one posts, one has to scan ALL of them to see if there is one that fits the topic and many times it is a toss up as to where to put it, so people end up saying, "screw it, too much hassle." For example, if Rand Paul had been talking about a foreign policy matter while campaigning, should it go in the Rand Paul forum, the General Politics forum, or the Foreign Policy forum?

Technically, your reply and mine should be in the forum about discussing forums. :o

green73
03-22-2014, 11:13 AM

Meh.

Lucille
03-22-2014, 12:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUpbOliTHJY

ClydeCoulter
03-22-2014, 02:53 PM
Yep...

Let's just move on. Crimea is part of Russia now and nothing short of WWIII will change that.

That's the problem with so many sub-forums. When one posts, one has to scan ALL of them to see if there is one that fits the topic and many times it is a toss up as to where to put it, so people end up saying, "screw it, too much hassle." For example, if Rand Paul had been talking about a foreign policy matter while campaigning, should it go in the Rand Paul forum, the General Politics forum, or the Foreign Policy forum?

Technically, your reply and mine should be in the forum about discussing forums. :o

She saw @Uriah's post and did so :D

ClydeCoulter
03-22-2014, 02:55 PM

Yep, and the world is shaky enough as it is...with bigger more badder weapons of remote destruction...bring the troops home.