PDA

View Full Version : Netflix Decides The Free Market Isn't So Good After All, Wants Government To Step In

aGameOfThrones
03-21-2014, 06:53 PM
What a difference a month makes. On February 23, Netflix and Comcast announced a deal under which the video streaming service and the cable company would “team up to provide customers (an) excellent user experience.” Netflix said it worked “collaboratively” with Comcast and that the deal was “mutually beneficial.” So it was a little surprising that today, Netflix CEO Reed Hastings more or less blasted arrangements like that in a blog post on his company’s web site. Hastings wants the government — specifically the FCC, which will receive his remarks officially today as part of an open request — to widely expand the doctrine of net neutrality to cover not only end customers like you and me, but also the internal workings of the internet. And he specifically wants ISPs to apparently be responsible for bearing all the costs of carrying internet traffic. That this would be likely be beyond the legal authority of the FCC is almost beside the point. What Netflix is asking for is government interference in longstanding business practices on the internet. To get it, he’s apparently willing to engage in a lot of half-truth telling and vague accusations. And he wants to throw his own business deal under the bus.

The deal Netflix and Comcast cut technically had nothing to do with the rules as I discussed when it was announced (“Comcast-Netflix Didn’t Violate Net Neutrality But It Wasn’t Benevolent, It Was Business“). But it did something important: By placing Netflix’s servers inside of Comcast’s network, it would give viewers the best possible performance when watching House of Cards or whatever else they were streaming. The three critical takeaways from the deal to remember are this (1) Netflix paid Comcast money (2) It was comparable to what Netflix would have paid a third-party to get you that content had the deal not been struck — likely it was less (3) In bypassing as many internet roadblocks as possible, the end result is likely better streaming performance for most people and only someone with deep pockets could make this kind of deal.

Netflix now wants some unspecified rules that basically make this kind of arrangement unnecessary because they believe Comcast, Verizon and other ISPs should simply cover all the costs of getting your their content without charging Netflix anything. Under Netflix’s terminology, this is called “strong net neutrality.” In actuality, what the company wants amounts to a regulation forbidding ISPs from recovering the cost of connecting to large content providers. Because Netflix is responsible for up to 30% of peak internet bandwidth, it has long relied on content delivery networks (CDNs) to stream its video. Those companies, like Akamai, have being paying ISPs to deliver traffic for more than a decade.

Hastings claims that ISPs are holding the company hostage, letting Netflix streaming quality go bad and then — once the ransom is paid — restoring quality. But that’s simply not what’s happening. Instead, Netflix today is trying to get you video through multiple CDNs and multiple transit providers (it has arrangements with several throughout the country to reach various ISPs and devices). Some of them, like Cogent, seem perpetually in battles with ISPs over upgrading connection points. Those upgrades, as described above, require actual monetary investments in equipment and man-hours as more and more data is pushed through saturated connections. Cogent has become a special kind of bottleneck because it has effectively oversold its capacity to deliver traffic to certain ISPs and then complains when those ISPs won’t spend money to help it keep its promises to others.

To understand the problem, imagine a gated community. More and more people are ordering things that are delivered by a shipping company called Netflix Deliveries. While the community has a half dozen gates, Deliveries keeps sending its trucks through one of the gates. Each time it tries to enter, there’s some delay to be let in by a homeowner, get through the gate, navigate to the home, etc.. Netflix could help by either (1) using multiple gates to create shorter and more diverse path or (2) agreeing to foot some of the bill for upgrading the intercom or gate system to make things faster. What it did with Comcast was actually a bit of both, but mostly the latter. When Netflix complains about slowdowns with certain ISPs, it’s mostly because it has a tendency — like the fictional Deliveries company — to push content through the same overloaded gates, Rayburn said. That’s true even though it could send some trucks through the other, less-crowded ones.

Now, what it wants is a government mandate that all “gate upgrades” be the full financial responsibility of the community or, in this case, the ISP. There’s no rationale for this, nor any specifics. Should Comcast, Verizon, et al. be required to spend whatever amount that Netflix demands on ports to carry however much traffic Netflix ends up sending? If Netflix customers adopt high-resolution 4K TVs en masse, quadrupling their bandwidth demands, presumably Comcast should just pay four times as much for network infrastructure to accommodate that, too?

The problem with this kind of doctrine is that it isn’t “strong net neutrality” at all. It’s “net neutrality for the strong.” While it’s true that this kind of rule won’t explicitly harm smaller content providers, the current system of requiring large ones to pay doesn’t either. When Comcast and Netflix announced their deal, we heard a lot about how the little guy was going to be shut out in the future. But in reality, the little guy is either going to escape the notice of ISPs until he’s big (and thus be safe by obscurity) or do business with a CDN, as Rayburn notes, to appear big and have nothing to worry about. In Netflix’s proposed rule, the very largest providers who bypass CDNs altogether could demand ever increasing amounts of resources from ISPs. And if they get rules written by the government that, for example, favor those with the biggest traffic commitments, that could end up hurting the little guy.

Of course, the whole thing could also backfire on Netflix. Once you start asking for regulations, you might not like what you end up with. That’s why for years, internet firms told the government to just stay out of the way and the net neutrality rules didn’t go into place until 2010 when the pendulum shifted from free-market ideals to fear.

Comment from site:

Visar 11 hours ago
Every piece I’ve seen written on this issue seems to ignore one thing. All of Comcast’s ISP customers have already paid them what they asked, to deliver up to a certain number of bits per month, at a certain speed, from anywhere the customer may request.

To follow the gated community analogy, it’s as if Comcast approached the neighborhood and told all 100 homes within, “pay us $50 per month and we can provide you 10 deliveries per day,” installed one gate at the entrance to the neighborhood, then when the deliveries started backing up and their customers complained, they said the trucking company is the one who needs to pay.

Comcast is the one who oversold. Simple as that. If you sell me 50MB/s up to 250GB/month, and I pay the price you ask, then give me what you sold me. “Best effort” is no excuse. If you need to charge more, charge more, then I can decide if I will still be your customer. But do not say you cannot deliver the bits to me because I ask Netflix for them.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markrogowsky/2014/03/21/netflix-decides-the-free-market-isnt-so-good-after-all-wants-government-to-step-in/?partner=yahootix

Another one...

AT&T thinks increased bandwidth costs are Netflix subscribers' problem

AT&T's swinging back at Netflix CEO Reed Hastings' recent assertion that ISPs (internet service providers) should shoulder the cost of increased bandwidth demands. In a post on AT&T's Public Policy Blog, Senior EVP Jim Cicconi denounced Hastings' desire for a "cost-free delivery" agreement with ISPs, saying that it unfairly shifts the burden of infrastructure cost to AT&T and its subscribers rather than to Netflix's own customer base. As Cicconi views it, that subscriber base is the very one responsible for the increased traffic demands and resulting need to build out additional facilities, and should therefore bear the brunt of a fee hike.

In an attempt to highlight what he sees as Hastings' "arrogant proposition," Cicconi goes on to point out that this "self-righteous" streaming model is akin to Netflix "[demanding] a customer's neighbors" pay the cost of its DVD mail delivery service. The comparison isn't quite apple-to-apples, but his point is fairly straightforward: if you're using Netflix, it's up to you to pay for high-quality streams. In other words, it's not AT&T's problem.

And also, AT&T just doesn't want to pay for Netflix's "good business fortune." But that much should already be crystal clear.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/21/atandt-netflix-bandwidth-problems/

squarepusher
03-21-2014, 07:34 PM
Pretty sure Comcast is the bad guy in this situation, they have one of the worst reputations in existence.

satchelmcqueen
03-21-2014, 07:37 PM
""Every piece I’ve seen written on this issue seems to ignore one thing. All of Comcast’s ISP customers have already paid them what they asked, to deliver up to a certain number of bits per month, at a certain speed, from anywhere the customer may request.

^^ THIS is true. i pay a certain amount for a certain speed and amount of data. im with netflix on this one. the isps are just wanting another cut on top of what they have already.

FloralScent
03-21-2014, 07:45 PM
Pretty sure Comcast is the bad guy in this situation, they have one of the worst reputations in existence.

Comcast addresses those allegations here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_mPOQrajXY

BuddyRey
03-21-2014, 07:50 PM
Netflix is already obsolete now, thanks to Popcorn Time.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/03/20/popcorn-time-pirated-movie-torrent-site_n_5000217.html

ClydeCoulter
03-21-2014, 08:23 PM
It's sad that jack offs always end up running things. There really are decent people at all levels working hard to try to bring good services to clients and the public, but the jack offs always end up in the positions that make a difference.

I know from experience, with EchoStar, Ameritech, AT&T and others. I worked directly, for a while, with their senior technical staff trying to bring great products to the market. But, alas, new departments are created to keep us apart, because, hey it's about money and stock options not the kind of shit you guys are trying to produce. :(

Matt Collins
03-21-2014, 10:15 PM
Comcast addresses those allegations here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_mPOQrajXY

The only reason Comcast has this attitude, and behaves the way it does, is because they are a government granted monopoly.