PDA

View Full Version : Report: 57% of Cigarettes Sold in New York Are Smuggled

Keith and stuff
03-21-2014, 12:34 AM
Report: 57% of Cigarettes Sold in New York Are Smuggled
Denver Nicks
March 19, 2014
http://time.com/30786/57-of-cigarettes-sold-in-new-york-are-smuggled/

The drive from New York to New Hampshire starts at about an hour. Though, it can be upwards of 13 hours. Of course, the cigarette stores are right on the MA/NH and VT/NH borders, though.

Whatever you do, don't buy smokes in NYC!

Report details the lucrative criminal enterprise of buying cigarettes in low tax states to sell on the black market where taxes are higher

A majority of the cigarettes for sale in New York are illegally smuggled into the state, according to a report out Wednesday from the conservative research group the Tax Foundation.

According to the report, 56.9% of the cigarettes sold in New York—the highest importer of smuggled cigarettes—originated from out of state. Since 2006, cigarette smuggling in the state has risen sharply, by 59%, in tandem with a massive hike in cigarette taxes of 190%. New York state now has the highest cigarette taxes in the country, at $4.35 a pack. Residents of NYC must also pay an extra $1.50 per pack.

The state with the highest rate of outbound cigarette smuggling is relatively low tax New Hampshire, which is only a short drive away from New York.

http://timedotcom.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/143044152-copy.jpg

DamianTV
03-21-2014, 12:49 AM
Smuggling implies they are already illegal. Their exceptionally high tax rate is creating a Black Market, so it wouldnt suprise me if they made tobacco illegal at some point in the very near future.

Spikender
03-21-2014, 01:04 AM
So if I had a pack of cigarettes that I bought in New Hampshire and I decided I didn't want them when I was in New York so I sold them, that's "illegal smuggling"?

New York is a sad, hypocritical place.

tod evans
03-21-2014, 05:51 AM
Glad to hear it!

100% of weed and other substances are "smuggled" in too...

Given my druthers I'd rather see the profits from these endeavors supporting the entrepreneurs than big-government...

Suzanimal
03-21-2014, 06:03 AM
Yeah, we go to Buffalo about once a year and my husband's relatives start calling to put in cigarette orders as soon as they hear we're coming. They can get American Spirit from the Reservation pretty cheap but I guess they like to get their favorite brand as a treat. My sons like to joke that we're drug mules and when we enter NY state and see the "po-po" they worry about whose butt the "contraband" is going to get shoved up if we get pulled over.

Edit: I get some interesting looks at the gas station when I go to buy 30-40 cartons of various brands of cigarettes.

Spikender
03-21-2014, 06:07 AM
Yeah, we go to Buffalo about once a year and my husband's relatives start calling to put in cigarette orders as soon as they hear we're coming. They can get American Spirit from the Reservation pretty cheap but I guess they like to get their favorite brand as a treat. My sons like to joke that we're drug mules and when we enter NY state and see the "po-po" they worry about whose butt the "contraband" is going to get shoved up if we get pulled over.

Edit: I get some interesting looks at the gas station when I go to buy 30-40 cartons of various brands of cigarettes.

That's the type of entrepreneurship and helping out family I love to see. Nothing wrong with it in my eyes.

But of course, we all know the only reason they hate it is that they don't get their cut of the booty if you resell from another state. Greedy, greedy Government.

Working Poor
03-21-2014, 06:26 AM
I wish 100% of their smokes were smuggled in.

aGameOfThrones
03-21-2014, 07:16 AM
legally bought cigarettes = smuggling

Root
03-21-2014, 07:18 AM
How much does a pack of smokes cost in NYC these days? $12? $15? It doesn't surprise me at all.

belian78
03-21-2014, 07:23 AM

Here in the taint of America (aka Illinois) that is a felony, to go somewhere else and buy cigs to bring back. I don't smoke anymore, but I've thought about rolling cigs with the machines and sellin em for like $3/pack.

Spikender
03-21-2014, 07:25 AM
Here in the taint of America (aka Illinois) that is a felony, to go somewhere else and buy cigs to bring back. I don't smoke anymore, but I've thought about rolling cigs with the machines and sellin em for like $3/pack.

#Freedom

The state soils its pants like a sad toddler when it gets no tax revenue.

Fuck em, I'll sell whatever the hell I want, it's my property to sell.

Philhelm
03-21-2014, 07:27 AM
New York City is made up of the biggest bunch of pussies in existence. It's funny how they try to make New Yorkers act tough on television.

Cleaner44
03-21-2014, 08:05 AM
I hope the 43% that is paying the extortion tax is all made up of Democrats. Those dipshits should be proud to pay high taxes and they should morally refuse any price less than $15 a pack.

kcchiefs6465
03-21-2014, 08:27 AM
I hope the 43% that is paying the extortion tax is all made up of Democrats. Those dipshits should be proud to pay high taxes and they should morally refuse any price less than $15 a pack.
It's not democrat or republican.

It's a majority.

Everyone wants something.

Furthermore, 250% of the product price being levied is not a tax. I don't recall off hand which robed whores ruled otherwise, but it is clear that this "tax" is simply a prohibition-lite extortion of the minority. But so long as 50.1% of those that vote say something is, then I suppose it is. Until everything is taxed and regulated, as is the case today.

Acala
03-21-2014, 09:14 AM
And then the advocates of the tax claim that the tax has reduced smoking by some huge percentage based on the reduction in sales. It benefits public health. Hahahahaha!

oyarde
03-21-2014, 09:53 AM
The tobacco grower , cigarette mnfg , and retail place in total get about $2 1/2 for a pack if I remember correctly . Fed tax is about a buck if I recall . The rest of the huge differences are state , some city taxes and the sales taxes levied on top of those taxes . So , basically if you were to pay more than $5 , that means the state tax itself is in excess of $1. In New York , the state excise itself exceeds $4 if I recall , or pretty close to the equivalent of the entire cost of a pack , say , in Kentucky, Mississippi or Indiana .

Keith and stuff
03-21-2014, 10:55 AM
Cigarette Smuggling Map

http://cloudfront-assets.reason.com/assets/mc/psuderman/2014_03/Cigarette-smuggling.png

oyarde
03-21-2014, 11:00 AM
So WA cigarettes come from ID , and AZ comes from NV, OH comes from KY , and MI from IN .....

oyarde
03-21-2014, 11:01 AM
Montana from WY . LOL

Keith and stuff
03-21-2014, 11:02 AM
So WA cigarettes come from ID , and AZ comes from NV, OH comes from KY , and MI from IN .....

OH are more likely to come from WV.

oyarde
03-21-2014, 11:12 AM
OH are more likely to come from WV.

Reminds me of the dry counties in the South , soon as you hit the county line , bingo , liquor store .

oyarde
03-21-2014, 11:13 AM
All of this stuff is predictable ....

Cap
03-21-2014, 11:20 AM
All of this stuff is predictable ....I will make another prediction, look for Asset forfeiture in the near future.

HOLLYWOOD
03-21-2014, 11:24 AM
NSA, ATF, DEA, & ICE, along with any financial Banking Spy Act, have been confirmed in sharing data... those license plate readers in GA, SC, NC, are profiled, typed, and synced to the license plate readers all the way up the eastern seaboard. Then New York can put their surveillance network of all to connect into the collected data base. Of Course, the GPS data from collected cell phones, tablets, and laptops, pinpoints exactly to and from every single point and duration at every position on the map. Software and captured data can now be imputed from all sources instantaneously and BINGO!, we have the suspects in an delusional reckless law system that accuses and imposes guiltiness first... DONE

Turnkey Tyranny, Big Brother, Self Radicalized Governments at all levels... IT's HERE

DamianTV
03-21-2014, 04:40 PM
How much does a pack of smokes cost in NYC these days? $12? $15? It doesn't surprise me at all.

Exactly. The *ahem* smuggling they are claiming is just a Free Market trying to take hold. And a Free Market is nothing more than people trying to find the lowest prices without Govt restrictions, right?

kcchiefs6465
03-21-2014, 07:20 PM
And then the advocates of the tax claim that the tax has reduced smoking by some huge percentage based on the reduction in sales. It benefits public health. Hahahahaha!
To top off the absurdity, they then pass mandates that each cigarette include more than an excessive amount of carpet glue as to make them "Fire Safe Compliant." (that they'll go out if you're not constantly puffing them) I wonder what the cancer rate is doing with all of their "good" work.

kcchiefs6465
03-21-2014, 07:25 PM
I will make another prediction, look for Asset forfeiture in the near future.
In the near future?

Last week, the Feds filed a forfeiture complaint seeking to seize an airplane, four semi trucks and $2.6 million in cash from a Kansas City, Mo.-based smuggling ring. Most of the cigarettes were sold in New York.

http://reason.com/blog/2012/09/26/cigarette-taxes-subsidize-the-black-mark

At the very least, you're going to forfeit the cigarettes.

Anti Federalist
03-21-2014, 07:33 PM
From the CopLand authoritarian shithole across the river.

Smokers, beware: New law cracks down on out-of-state and counterfeit cigarettes

http://www.nj.com/morris/index.ssf/2013/08/new_law_cracks_down_on_out-of-state_and_counterfeit_cigarettes.html

on August 19, 2013 at 3:24 PM, updated August 19, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Got a light? Got a fine?

Gov. Chris Christie today signed legislation that would stiffen penalties for smuggling cigarettes into New Jersey, or possessing cigarettes that haven't been properly taxed by the state.

In announcements about the passage of the bill — which was approved by both chambers of the state legislature unanimously — Republican Assemblyman Anthony M. Bucco and Democratic state Sen. Donald Norcross both heralded it as an attack on the black market.

But as Bucco, whose 25th district is largely based in Morris County, noted in his announcement, even existing New Jersey law prohibits individual residents from possessing or consuming untaxed, improperly stamped or unstamped cigarettes.

The bill, S2516/A3278, covers a wide range of offenses, and in most cases increases penalties for activities that are already illegal. For instance, it doubles the fines for violating a law that requires most cigarette purchases be done face-to-face (unless certain steps are taken to ensure New Jersey taxes are paid) — to up to $4,000 for a first violation, or up to $20,000 for a fifth violation in a five-year period.

"Whether it is the individual purchaser who is guilty of casual smuggling or larger-scale organized entities that believe they can offer a great marketing and sales tool by sidestepping their tax obligation, there will be a more significant penalty to pay," Bucco said in his announcement.

The bill increases penalties for selling cigarettes without a license, purchasing or selling unstamped cigarettes or refusing to produce business records pertaining to the purchase, sale or transportation of cigarettes.

Norcross, of Camden and Gloucester counties, pointed to the penalties as a way to fight organized crime — and both legislators said illegal cigarette sales hurt New Jersey businesses, as well as the state's tax base.

"We’re shutting down Tobacco Road," Norcross said in his announcement. "We cannot continue allowing mobsters and terrorists to fund their operations by cheating New Jersey residents."

Norcross' office also noted counterfeit cigarettes, smuggled in from abroad, may look like legitimate brands but contain animal droppings, dirt or other unwanted materials.

Anyone who brings a counterfeit cigarette into New Jersey would be guilty of a third-degree offense, under the new bill.

New Jersey has some of the highest cigarette taxes in the nation — at $2.70 per pack. That's well over Pennsylvania's or Delaware's $1.60, and massively over Missouri's 17 cents, but nowhere near New York's $4.35 (which doesn't count another $1.50 imposed by New York City).

An Associated Press report in May found those high New York taxes were being undercut by rampant black-market sales. Of the 1,105 licensed tobacco retailers inspected by New York City's sheriff in 2012, 586 had cigarettes in their inventories that had been purchased on the black market, the Associated Press reported.

And in 2011 the Star-Ledger reported about 40 percent of all cigarettes smoked in New Jersey are smuggled into the state illegally — the highest percentage of any state in the nation — resulting in a loss of more than $500 million in uncollected tax revenue each year.

Anti Federalist
03-21-2014, 07:35 PM
To top off the absurdity, they then pass mandates that each cigarette include more than an excessive amount of carpet glue as to make them "Fire Safe Compliant." (that they'll go out if you're not constantly puffing them) I wonder what the cancer rate is doing with all of their "good" work.

Sounds like all the people killed by government mandated "denatured" alcohol.

kcchiefs6465
03-21-2014, 08:05 PM
Sounds like all the people killed by government mandated "denatured" alcohol.
That's just another kooky conspiracy theory. You mean the bestest, freest government on earth knowingly allowed citizens to drink poison as a means to benefit their goals? Blasphemy! Next you'll be talking about income taxes paying off interest accrued from generations past (of which they themselves did not agree to, either).

DamianTV
03-22-2014, 01:21 AM
From the CopLand authoritarian shithole across the river.

Smokers, beware: New law cracks down on out-of-state and counterfeit cigarettes

http://www.nj.com/morris/index.ssf/2013/08/new_law_cracks_down_on_out-of-state_and_counterfeit_cigarettes.html

on August 19, 2013 at 3:24 PM, updated August 19, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Got a light? Got a fine?

Gov. Chris Christie today signed legislation that would stiffen penalties for smuggling cigarettes into New Jersey, or possessing cigarettes that haven't been properly taxed by the state.

In announcements about the passage of the bill — which was approved by both chambers of the state legislature unanimously — Republican Assemblyman Anthony M. Bucco and Democratic state Sen. Donald Norcross both heralded it as an attack on the black market.

But as Bucco, whose 25th district is largely based in Morris County, noted in his announcement, even existing New Jersey law prohibits individual residents from possessing or consuming untaxed, improperly stamped or unstamped cigarettes.

The bill, S2516/A3278, covers a wide range of offenses, and in most cases increases penalties for activities that are already illegal. For instance, it doubles the fines for violating a law that requires most cigarette purchases be done face-to-face (unless certain steps are taken to ensure New Jersey taxes are paid) — to up to $4,000 for a first violation, or up to $20,000 for a fifth violation in a five-year period.

"Whether it is the individual purchaser who is guilty of casual smuggling or larger-scale organized entities that believe they can offer a great marketing and sales tool by sidestepping their tax obligation, there will be a more significant penalty to pay," Bucco said in his announcement.

The bill increases penalties for selling cigarettes without a license, purchasing or selling unstamped cigarettes or refusing to produce business records pertaining to the purchase, sale or transportation of cigarettes.

Norcross, of Camden and Gloucester counties, pointed to the penalties as a way to fight organized crime — and both legislators said illegal cigarette sales hurt New Jersey businesses, as well as the state's tax base.

"We’re shutting down Tobacco Road," Norcross said in his announcement. "We cannot continue allowing mobsters and terrorists to fund their operations by cheating New Jersey residents."

Norcross' office also noted counterfeit cigarettes, smuggled in from abroad, may look like legitimate brands but contain animal droppings, dirt or other unwanted materials.

Anyone who brings a counterfeit cigarette into New Jersey would be guilty of a third-degree offense, under the new bill.

New Jersey has some of the highest cigarette taxes in the nation — at $2.70 per pack. That's well over Pennsylvania's or Delaware's $1.60, and massively over Missouri's 17 cents, but nowhere near New York's $4.35 (which doesn't count another $1.50 imposed by New York City).

An Associated Press report in May found those high New York taxes were being undercut by rampant black-market sales. Of the 1,105 licensed tobacco retailers inspected by New York City's sheriff in 2012, 586 had cigarettes in their inventories that had been purchased on the black market, the Associated Press reported.

And in 2011 the Star-Ledger reported about 40 percent of all cigarettes smoked in New Jersey are smuggled into the state illegally — the highest percentage of any state in the nation — resulting in a loss of more than $500 million in uncollected tax revenue each year.

Free Market would say lower the taxes. However collecting Cigarette Taxes is not their goal. Making tobacco completely illegal is their goal because the fines and penalties will more than make up for the loss in tax revenue. Their target is Smokers themselves. And very soon, Tobacco will be the New Pot.

tangent4ronpaul
03-22-2014, 01:57 AM
into New Jersey, or possessing cigarettes that haven't been properly taxed by the state.

Those are some steep fines. This basically guarantees that ALL cars entering the state, all passengers exiting an aircraft, etc. will be subjected to 'drug" dog searches. Can you see the literal army of undercover cops at state rest facilities cooing out: hay bro - got an extra smoke? I'll give you 50 cents for one...

i bet the huge taxes on medical MJ is going to drive a growth in the pot smuggling black market too.

-t

Spikender
03-22-2014, 02:04 AM
More like properly pillaged by the state.

Christie governs like a lib and looks like he needs a bib.

Keith and stuff
03-22-2014, 09:23 AM

Christie, hurting the New Hampshire economy, which smuggling is a big part of, will not help you in the New Hampshire Primary.

angelatc
03-22-2014, 09:54 AM

So if you work in Manhattan, and forget to grab a pack out of the freezer....so you spend the $20 to buy a pack in the city, then get pulled over on the way home. Officer Overlord sees you have a pack of smokes in your pocket, and asks to see the tax stamp. You refuse, he drags you out of the car and beats the crap put of you.

Eventually, the court decides that because your car was traveling in a direction that indicates it was coming from NJ that Officer Overlord had probable cause to search you, and they're keeping your Mercedes to offset the court costs.

You 3 felony a day maggot.

jkob
03-22-2014, 10:41 AM
If I smoked cigarettes I'd probably just buy a carton off the Indian reservation for like $35.

oyarde
03-22-2014, 10:45 AM
I banned NJ , long ago .They have been removed from my map on they wall . I have it depicted as water , along with lower NY and half of Maryland .LOL

Anti Federalist
03-22-2014, 11:29 AM
Bingo...or as Hollywood already noted, they drag your ass off just because the surveillance scanners red flagged you.

So if you work in Manhattan, and forget to grab a pack out of the freezer....so you spend the $20 to buy a pack in the city, then get pulled over on the way home. Officer Overlord sees you have a pack of smokes in your pocket, and asks to see the tax stamp. You refuse, he drags you out of the car and beats the crap put of you.

Eventually, the court decides that because your car was traveling in a direction that indicates it was coming from NJ that Officer Overlord had probable cause to search you, and they're keeping your Mercedes to offset the court costs.

You 3 felony a day maggot.

mad cow
03-22-2014, 04:33 PM
I just bought three cartons of Pall Malls and a twelve pack of Pabst Blue Ribbon yesterday at Wawa.
Total bill including tax,$104.36,Ah Sweet Virginia.

Of course if I was to drive all the way to New York and back to smuggle them I would need at least two twelve packs for the trip,so that would seriously cut into my profits.

DamianTV
03-22-2014, 05:04 PM
Could roll your own too.

Pipe tobacco, at least in my state, doesnt have the same taxes as cigarette tobacco does. I can pick up a pound for between $15 and $20, and two boxes of tubes for about $2 bucks a pop. My total comes to about $12.50 per carton as long as Im willing to make them myself. The alternative is $7 bucks per pack, and it just continues to rise. The "packer machines" arent very expensive either. They can range from $5 bucks for a little plastic packer, or $100 for an electric one, but I personally like the plastic doohickey better.

This is what one of those plastic packers typically looks like:

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/627434985/Colorful_plastic_cigarette_tube_filling_machine.jp g

Put a tube on the end, pack in the tobacco, pull the slide, and cigarette is made. The tobacco usually tastes way better to boot.

But im sure in an effort to bump up from "three felonies per day" to "four felonies per day", Cops will be taught that this is all Drug Paraphernalia. The weapons used to protect this country have been turned on us.

MichaelDavis
03-22-2014, 05:59 PM
How is it illegal to sell cigarettes across state lines? I can sell thing I bough in a different state on Craigslist and no shits are given. I could make a pretty penny selling cigarettes from Missouri (the lowest cigarette tax in the United States) to New York. Oh well.

kcchiefs6465
03-22-2014, 11:46 PM
How is it illegal to sell cigarettes across state lines? I can sell thing I bough in a different state on Craigslist and no shits are given. I could make a pretty penny selling cigarettes from Missouri (the lowest cigarette tax in the United States) to New York. Oh well.
I would advise against marketing cigarettes on Craigslist.

It's absurd though, right? It's point blank authoritarian instances like this that I hope people en masse start realizing surround them. Today it is the smokers, tomorrow who knows? Their shortsighted, economically ignorant, decrees know no bounds. And like that, a black market is created with a bureaucracy to watch over it.

It's really something else.

DamianTV
03-23-2014, 01:24 AM
Soon, people will not be allowed to think for themselves without a Govt Issue Permit, that can be revoked very easily.

puppetmaster
03-23-2014, 01:35 AM
I advise if your pack is not from NJ to remove smokes from pack so that there is no stamp to verify. You may also keep your old packs and refill with the "contraband"

And dont ever talk to the cops.....ever

tod evans
03-23-2014, 01:39 AM
I advise if your pack is not from NJ to remove smokes from pack so that there is no stamp to verify.

http://www.buycigarettes.us/images/cigarettes-case-usa-canada.jpg

puppetmaster
03-23-2014, 01:49 AM
http://www.buycigarettes.us/images/cigarettes-case-usa-canada.jpg

They have these on eBay....they are nice it appears

kcchiefs6465
03-23-2014, 02:02 AM
They have these on eBay....they are nice it appears
I've seen plastic ones much cheaper.

They keep your smokes very fresh.

(I use it at work.)

tod evans
03-23-2014, 02:06 AM
I keep my pipe tobacco rolled up in a baggie (like a lid) in my hip pocket.....

Anti Federalist
03-23-2014, 11:56 AM
Free Market would say lower the taxes. However collecting Cigarette Taxes is not their goal. Making tobacco completely illegal is their goal because the fines and penalties will more than make up for the loss in tax revenue. Their target is Smokers themselves. And very soon, Tobacco will be the New Pot.

Agreed.

You will see outright prohibition of tobacco in at least one state, within the next five years.

oyarde
03-23-2014, 01:27 PM
I've seen plastic ones much cheaper.

They keep your smokes very fresh.

(I use it at work.)

Mine is.925 silver, made in 1907, lol

oyarde
03-23-2014, 01:28 PM
I keep my pipe tobacco rolled up in a baggie (like a lid) in my hip pocket.....

I always kept my pipe tobacco rolled in a bag on the end table too.

DamianTV
03-23-2014, 05:29 PM
Agreed.

You will see outright prohibition of tobacco in at least one state, within the next five years.

At least one thing will happen: all the claims about the consequences we have made will be proven correct or incorrect.

Tobacco Lords will become the new Mafias. Average mundanes will be incarcerated for possession of Tobacco, while Govt officials will retain the priviledge of Tobacco use. Violence will escalate. A Black Market will be created. Mandatory Tobacco Testing will become a requirement for employment and most benefits. Prisons will increase in size and scope, at tremendous costs to the people. People will NOT stop smoking or be any healthier. The price of Tobacco will go thru the roof and ordinary non tobacco users will be shot for money by those who need money to get their fix, or to resell it. Tobacco searches will be used as an excuse to violate your 4th Amendment Rights. Tobacco sensors might be placed in your home if you rent. DUI Laws will most likely be expanded to criminalize "driving under the influence of nicotine". Three strikes laws will be enforced to such a degree that some people will be incarcerated for the rest of their lives for the possession of a cigarette. Racial inequality in the "Just-Us" system will be much more harsh on minorities. Tobacco will be associated with Terrorism by the MSM. The self fulfilling prophecy of the MSM assoication of Tobacco and Terrorism will place blame on Tobacco users and not the Law itself as the Catalyst for the Tobacco Wars.

Some of these predictions may happen immediately, some may take a bit of time until they pass, and a few may not happen at all. What will happen is we will know from experience which predictions are accurate and which are not. In all cases, the munanes will pay the price.

Keith and stuff
03-23-2014, 06:57 PM
Here is also a little debate about this on FedBook, if folks want to join in :toady:

https://www.facebook.com/FreeStateProject.org/posts/698200850223164

Anti Federalist
03-23-2014, 08:03 PM
And at the end of the day, when all the dust settles, a substantial chunk of freedom will be lost, again.

At least one thing will happen: all the claims about the consequences we have made will be proven correct or incorrect.

Tobacco Lords will become the new Mafias. Average mundanes will be incarcerated for possession of Tobacco, while Govt officials will retain the priviledge of Tobacco use. Violence will escalate. A Black Market will be created. Mandatory Tobacco Testing will become a requirement for employment and most benefits. Prisons will increase in size and scope, at tremendous costs to the people. People will NOT stop smoking or be any healthier. The price of Tobacco will go thru the roof and ordinary non tobacco users will be shot for money by those who need money to get their fix, or to resell it. Tobacco searches will be used as an excuse to violate your 4th Amendment Rights. Tobacco sensors might be placed in your home if you rent. DUI Laws will most likely be expanded to criminalize "driving under the influence of nicotine". Three strikes laws will be enforced to such a degree that some people will be incarcerated for the rest of their lives for the possession of a cigarette. Racial inequality in the "Just-Us" system will be much more harsh on minorities. Tobacco will be associated with Terrorism by the MSM. The self fulfilling prophecy of the MSM assoication of Tobacco and Terrorism will place blame on Tobacco users and not the Law itself as the Catalyst for the Tobacco Wars.

Some of these predictions may happen immediately, some may take a bit of time until they pass, and a few may not happen at all. What will happen is we will know from experience which predictions are accurate and which are not. In all cases, the munanes will pay the price.

pcosmar
03-23-2014, 08:11 PM
Agreed.

New York or California?

anyone giving odds?

I roll mine. cost for 2 weeks is what 3 packs would cost here in Mich.

Anti Federalist
03-23-2014, 08:23 PM
New York or California?

My top three picks:

NY - CA - MA

Next three:

NJ - ME - CT

belian78
03-24-2014, 06:57 AM
Could roll your own too.

Pipe tobacco, at least in my state, doesnt have the same taxes as cigarette tobacco does. I can pick up a pound for between $15 and $20, and two boxes of tubes for about $2 bucks a pop. My total comes to about $12.50 per carton as long as Im willing to make them myself. The alternative is $7 bucks per pack, and it just continues to rise. The "packer machines" arent very expensive either. They can range from $5 bucks for a little plastic packer, or $100 for an electric one, but I personally like the plastic doohickey better.

This is what one of those plastic packers typically looks like:

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/627434985/Colorful_plastic_cigarette_tube_filling_machine.jp g

Put a tube on the end, pack in the tobacco, pull the slide, and cigarette is made. The tobacco usually tastes way better to boot.

But im sure in an effort to bump up from "three felonies per day" to "four felonies per day", Cops will be taught that this is all Drug Paraphernalia. The weapons used to protect this country have been turned on us.
This is what I was referring to.

specsaregood
03-24-2014, 07:30 AM
Agreed.

I don't see it. They'd be giving up that huge tax income. Hell you already see Christie wanting to tax e-cigs because of that revenue loss.

tod evans
03-24-2014, 07:37 AM
I don't see it. They'd be giving up that huge tax income. Hell you already see Christie wanting to tax e-cigs because of that revenue loss.

It boils down to control-vs-taxes....

I've yet to see government cede control for taxes.