PDA

View Full Version : Rush Limbaugh: GOP contenders better take note of Rand Paul's strategery

jct74
03-20-2014, 04:22 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klDS5IcHkpQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klDS5IcHkpQ

cajuncocoa
03-20-2014, 04:23 PM
Can't watch right now. What "strategy" of Rand's is he speaking about?

juleswin
03-20-2014, 04:28 PM

Strategy of outreach to young college group. He talked about him getting applause when he talked about government spying. He says Rand will go to groups of people and talk to them on areas where they agree with etc etc.

But he says it in a condescending tone with his usually annoying mispronunciation of words.

specsaregood
03-20-2014, 04:31 PM

Going to various groups of people and talking about the issues important to them; even groups not traditionally friendly to republicans.

cajuncocoa
03-20-2014, 04:32 PM
Strategy of outreach to young college group. He talked about him getting applause when he talked about government spying. He says Rand will go to groups of people and talk to them on areas where they agree with etc etc.

But he says it in a condescending tone with his usually annoying mispronunciation of words.
Which, I assume, means he's not ready to embrace Rand as the GOP candidate....hence the warning to more-favorable (to Rush) candidates. I really dislike Limbaugh!!

Thanks for the summary!

specsaregood
03-20-2014, 04:37 PM

I hate to have to defend the drug addled hypocrite; but I didn't get that. At least not anymore than his every day tone. ie: not a Rand specific condescension

whoisjohngalt
03-20-2014, 04:42 PM
oops

mad cow
03-20-2014, 04:43 PM

I did not hear that at all.I heard nothing but a 100% pro Rand Paul sound-bite.

I guess we all hear what we want to hear.

whoisjohngalt
03-20-2014, 04:48 PM

Pro-Rand? That's a tough one. I heard admiration in his voice for Rand's political shrewdness. Rush will not now or ever be a fan of Rand. At best he will throw him a bone when he does something undeniably momentous like the filibuster.

The last bit was definitely anti-Rand. As Cajuncocoa pointed out, he is actively encouraging other candidates to employ the same strategy.

phill4paul
03-20-2014, 04:51 PM
Beck. Now Limbaugh. Will Hannity follow along this evening?

mad cow
03-20-2014, 04:55 PM
Pro-Rand? That's a tough one. I heard admiration in his voice for Rand's political shrewdness. Rush will not now or ever be a fan of Rand. At best he will throw him a bone when he does something undeniably momentous like the filibuster.

The last bit was definitely anti-Rand. As Cajuncocoa pointed out, he is actively encouraging other candidates to employ the same strategy.

Encouraging other Republicans to be more like Rand is Anti-Rand?

cajuncocoa
03-20-2014, 04:58 PM
He's warning them about Rand's strategy. Not encouraging them to adopt Rand's position on the issues. Huge difference.

Anti Federalist
03-20-2014, 04:58 PM

Yes, if the point is to act like him in order to beat him.

Kords21
03-20-2014, 05:01 PM
He's warning them about Rand's strategy. Not encouraging them to adopt Rand's position on the issues. Huge difference.

That's what I took away from this as well. He sees this as a threat to his pet candidates and is trying to be Paul Revere. "Rand is coming! Rand is coming!"

mad cow
03-20-2014, 05:03 PM

You got that from the sound-bite you didn't have time to watch right now?

mad cow
03-20-2014, 05:04 PM

So you would be happier if he told his millions of listeners that Rand sucks?

Anti Federalist
03-20-2014, 05:06 PM

I agree, dismissive and condescending.

"He's gonna go to Hispanics, and talk to these people about whatever issue gets these people out of their seats, I don't what that will be, maybe immigration or amnesty, I don't know, but he will..."

And the government collecting information and spying on millions of people?

It's that "NSA business".

Anti Federalist
03-20-2014, 05:07 PM

He will, when the time is right, count on it.

In going to Berkley and giving this speech, this, this is what I can get behind Rand 100% on.

Gives the media deadenders fits as is demonstrated.

whoisjohngalt
03-20-2014, 05:09 PM

I would. Look at Jennifer Rubin. She may get her $$$ for the clicks, but she has no credibility because of her vitriolic attacks on Rand
Well that and she thinks John Bolton will be the next president.

This subversive shit is much worse because it might actually influence some listeners. I think even the first part was slightly negative implying that it's a bad thing that Paul appeals to liberals.

mad cow
03-20-2014, 05:11 PM
He will when the time is right count on it.

He didn't this time,That's the point.

Excellent post jtc74,thanks for posting.
+rep

specsaregood
03-20-2014, 05:11 PM
He will, when the time is right, count on it.

Well, we got plenty of people on rpfs, here and now already saying it so I don't see a reason to single Limbaugh out. I'll take the honey while I can get it and be wary of the possible future poison.

juleswin
03-20-2014, 05:12 PM

Its very subtle but I was able to picked it up especially around the part when he was talking about Rand finding common ground in front of a Hispanic crowd. Its just my interpretation and I can imagine someone having a different take after listening to it.

And what is with pronouncing of the word campus as campi?

alucard13mm
03-20-2014, 05:35 PM
A lot of college students smoke weed... Maybe he should say he will support the right for the state to decriminalize weed and that Obama/Bush both probably smoked weed or used drugs. However, he does not support the usage of weed himself ;P............

At any rate all the college students Ron courted in 2012 and the college students Rand is courting now will be making money in a few years when 2016 comes around and will become potential donors.

Working Poor
03-20-2014, 05:39 PM

I guess he is trying to warn the other candidates that building their campaign on gay marriage and abortion might not be to their advantage.

cajuncocoa
03-20-2014, 05:49 PM
I guess he is trying to warn the other candidates that building their campaign on gay marriage and abortion might not be to their advantage.
I hope you're not saying that Rand is "building his campaign" on those issues. Do you think that's how Rush sees it? I think it's more about Rand not sounding as hawkish as Cruz, Rubio, and Jeb.

Crashland
03-20-2014, 05:49 PM

None of the GOP contenders will be willing and able to out-Rand Rand. And even if they do start acting like him, Rand will still be seen as the leader and the rest of them following him.

Working Poor
03-20-2014, 05:53 PM
I hope you're not saying that Rand is "building his campaign" on those issues.

No not at all.

RonPaulFanInGA
03-20-2014, 05:53 PM
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2014/03/20/quick_hits_page

RUSH: Rand Paul went to Berkeley yesterday, last night. Rand Paul got a standing O from the students at the University of California-Berkeley. Do you know the issue that he hit on that they just jumped out of their seats and applauded him on was the government spying on the citizens? He came out firmly against it, highly critical of it, and they couldn't be quiet.

They were just cheering him like Republicans don't get cheered on college campi. The San Francisco Chronicle reports that Rand Paul "delivered a scathing rebuke to the US intelligence community Wednesday, calling it 'drunk with power.' 'I don't know about you, but I'm worried,' the Kentucky senator told 400 people who filled a hall at UC Berkeley's International House. 'If the CIA is spying on Congress, who exactly can or will stop them?'"

Reporters talked to the students after the speech, and they just thought it was one of the greatest that they had heard anybody make at Berkeley. Now, he said other things, but that issue of spying, I happen to have seen this reported elsewhere. I've seen it on my tech blogs. These young people that just slavishly support Obama and global warming and every cockamamie idea, when it comes to this NSA business, it's the one area there's not even any confusion about it.

I mean, they're a little confused that Obama would do it, but there is no middle ground on it. They universally oppose it, and they can't blame Republicans for it. I think we get an indication here how Rand Paul's gonna run his campaign. He's gonna go to groups of people, and he's gonna talk about, as a Republican, the things important to them. He's gonna identify whatever it is important. Like to these students, he knew it was spying.

He went to the belly of the beast, UC Berkeley. He's been to Howard University, which is an all-black university. I think other Republican contenders had better take note of what he's doing, 'cause it's very abundantly clear to me what his strategy is. He'll go talk to Hispanics, and whatever he identifies as the issue that gets them out of their seats, he'll talk about.

I don't know what it would be, but he will have one. It might be immigration/amnesty. Who knows? I have no idea. But he obviously knew that the Millennials/college students want no part of this spying. I mean, they're all really tech savvy, and they understand the depths to which the spying is possible. You know, keep a sharp eye.

whoisjohngalt
03-20-2014, 05:58 PM
None of the GOP contenders will be willing and able to out-Rand Rand. And even if they do start acting like him, Rand will still be seen as the leader and the rest of them following him.

He's not telling them to be like Rand. He is suggesting they do minority outreach and undermine Paul. Suggesting that he is for "amnesty" and how he talked about the NSA thing seems like he is trying to make Rand unappealing. As is framing appeal to liberals this way.

If you want to see someone complimenting Rand, go watch the Beck clip. This is a backhanded compliment if ever I heard one.

radiofriendly
03-20-2014, 06:08 PM
Rush has neoconish tendencies at times but that was mostly positive. "Campi?" He just likes to have fun with words. When the Snowden thing started out, Rush called him a hero I believe.
Someone has gotten Rush to shut his mouth since, but he did one of the best segments on metadata early on: http://iroots.org/2013/06/13/telecom-exec-calls-rush-confirms-shocking-data-available-from-phone-numbers/

cajuncocoa
03-20-2014, 06:12 PM
Rush has neoconish tendencies at times but that was mostly positive. "Campi?" He just likes to have fun with words. When the Snowden thing started out, Rush called him a hero I believe.
Someone has gotten Rush to shut his mouth since, but he did one of the best segments on metadata early on: http://iroots.org/2013/06/13/telecom-exec-calls-rush-confirms-shocking-data-available-from-phone-numbers/Rush has always been a tool and mouthpiece for the GOP establishment.

TomtheTinker
03-20-2014, 06:31 PM
I say this Rand is no purist and I'm all for a vigorous debate within the liberty corner of the political spectrum. I do understand why some purist have trouble swallowing everything Rand says, but the fact is Rand Paul is making waves. He truly has a legit shot both at the nomination and the presidency and even if you cant guarantee your support you have to admit this is a good thing for freedom in this country.

Although I am concerned this place is to far gone to even save/bring back the republic. Its not going to stop me from putting up some sort of fight

Rush is no ally but it doesn't mean he can't be used or at least neutralized.

Valli6
03-20-2014, 07:50 PM
Well, now Ted Cruz is having dinner with Cory Booker. :rolleyes:

By TAL KOPAN | 3/20/14 8:41 AM
Sen. Cory Booker said Thursday that when he met last week with Republican firebrand Sen. Ted Cruz for dinner, they had a “great intellectual discussion” and “no filibusters.”

The New Jersey Democrat said he’s trying to work with Republicans, even when finding common ground is difficult — including in restaurant selection.

“First of all, he’s a Texas meat-eating cowboy, I’m a Jersey boy, vegetarian, so choosing the restaurant alone,” Booker joked Thursday when asked about the meeting on “Good Day New York” on the local Fox affiliate.

Booker and the Texas Republican were spotted dining together at Capitol Hill restaurant Bistro Bis last week.

“We went to a place close to the Capitol and we sat, what was going to probably be an hour meeting, we sat for three hours,” Booker said. “He and I sat for three hours looking for common ground. We found some good areas that we agree on.”

The newly installed senator said that the pair discussed the economy, and he praised Cruz’s intelligence.

“There was no filibusters going on, he did not read ‘Green Eggs and Ham,’” Booker cracked. “We had probably one of the best constitutional law discussions since I got out of law school. And I loved it, we just had a great intellectual discussion, but we quickly moved to … there are trends in the economy that have nothing to do with partisanship that are just bad.”

Citing wage stagnation and youth unemployment, Booker added: “We talked about what the facts were and then started trying to find ways we might get solutions.”

Booker said his meeting with Cruz was just one of many he has planned. In fact, he said he intends to sit down with every Republican in the Senate.

“I’m going to meet with every single Republican, every single one of my colleagues,” Booker said, saying he has been working with Sen. Tim Scott (R-S.C.) and has met with Sens. John McCain (R-Ariz.) and Orrin Hatch (R-Utah).
http://www.politico.com/story/2014/03/cory-booker-ted-cruz-dinner-104845.html?hp=l12

idiom
03-23-2014, 10:49 PM
The STUPID thing is that being anti-NSA is pro national security. Why won't Rand take that position?

The NSA is destroying Americas national security by deliberately putting holes in America's cyber security. It is indefensible.

They should be having hearing and arresting anyone at the NSA who was involved with weakening government and corporate security.

jtstellar
03-24-2014, 12:53 AM
I say this Rand is no purist and I'm all for a vigorous debate within the liberty corner of the political spectrum. I do understand why some purist have trouble swallowing everything Rand says,

good except

who sets the standard? who gets to call himself a purist? i have no problem with a debate of 'which is better', but to state your own position as 'the standard' before the debate is settled is hilarious. some people almost sound like global warmists in some way. not to mention by the very act of rand gaining influence, it chops the blockage to a debate wide open. but people are whining, about what again? the opportunity? yawn. wow. i removed author of this quote, because this isn't directed specifically at him. but you know who you are.

Jamesiv1
03-24-2014, 08:59 PM
Rush is an ass. He was being totally dismissive in my opinion. "Rand Paul will go to a group and say anything that will get them out of their chairs." Ummm.... isn't that called good politics? Even still, Rand does *not* "say anything" - he speaks to an issue that resonates with his audience and tells them exactly how RAND feels about it - and what he would do about it. And he means it.

And people believe him. And get out of their chairs. And applaud.

And establishment hacks are flabbergasted at the sincerity of it all.

cajuncocoa
03-24-2014, 09:11 PM
good except

who sets the standard? who gets to call himself a purist? i have no problem with a debate of 'which is better', but to state your own position as 'the standard' before the debate is settled is hilarious. some people almost sound like global warmists in some way. not to mention by the very act of rand gaining influence, it chops the blockage to a debate wide open. but people are whining, about what again? the opportunity? yawn. wow. i removed author of this quote, because this isn't directed specifically at him. but you know who you are.
IMO, Ron Paul set the standard....by virtue of the fact that this board bears his name, and most people who signed up came here because of him. That doesn't mean every political figure has to be exactly like Ron, but everyone knows how much latitude they will give to others. You may be fine with giving a larger margin than me, but that doesn't make either of us wrong.

That said, it's good advice to remember: you have to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.

acptulsa
03-24-2014, 09:23 PM
The STUPID thing is that being anti-NSA is pro national security. Why won't Rand take that position?

The NSA is destroying Americas national security by deliberately putting holes in America's cyber security. It is indefensible.

They should be having hearing and arresting anyone at the NSA who was involved with weakening government and corporate security.

The presidency is a bully pulpit.

Running for the presidency can also be a bully pulpit, as Ron Paul proved. But he also proved that using the campaign trail as a bully pulpit doesn't necessarily get you the office itself.

I'm content to wait until Rand Paul can use the bully pulpit of the office, and see what he says then.

jtstellar
03-24-2014, 10:00 PM
Rush is an ass. He was being totally dismissive in my opinion. "Rand Paul will go to a group and say anything that will get them out of their chairs." Ummm.... isn't that called good politics? Even still, Rand does *not* "say anything" - he speaks to an issue that resonates with his audience and tells them exactly how RAND feels about it - and what he would do about it. And he means it.

And people believe him. And get out of their chairs. And applaud.

And establishment hacks are flabbergasted at the sincerity of it all.

then limbaugh slips a quiet "like amnesty.." in there after he says "rand will say anything" i usually give people lots of chances, more than 2, but limbaugh is one of the sleaziest characters in public today, i have not seen him once full heartedly praise what rand has been doing, even if it helped gop in general, let alone the whole country

Superfly
03-25-2014, 07:41 AM
Rush is too smart (in certain ways) to outright stump for any particular candidate. I can't ell he doesn't want Rand but if Rand is winning and the tea leaves say so, he will toe the party line and bash the Dem that emerges. He's a businessman first and foremost.

cajuncocoa
03-25-2014, 07:50 AM
Rush is too smart (in certain ways) to outright stump for any particular candidate. I can't ell he doesn't want Rand but if Rand is winning and the tea leaves say so, he will toe the party line and bash the Dem that emerges. He's a businessman first and foremost.
No, he's not too smart for that. I remember very well how he helped W. to smear John McCain in the lead-up to the 2000 primaries. I didn't care for either of those candidates, so it didn't bother me that he was doing so....but I remember thinking it was odd.

KingNothing
03-25-2014, 11:20 AM

The one that involves Rand being awesome at politics, and taking principled stances to lead by example and bravely taking his message to places not typically visited by Republicans.

cajuncocoa
03-25-2014, 11:29 AM
The one that involves Rand being awesome at politics, and taking principled stances to lead by example and bravely taking his message to places not typically visited by Republicans.
Yes, I got the answer a few days ago...but thanks. We've been discussing how much that probably irks Limbaugh for some reason.

KingNothing
03-25-2014, 11:39 AM
IMO, Ron Paul set the standard.....

No. You set your own standard, and you should base it on virtue, principles and logic. Parroting Ron Paul is not the way.

serenityrick
03-25-2014, 03:24 PM
Beck. Now Limbaugh. Will Hannity follow along this evening?

Hannity has already said he supports/likes Rand a lot

cajuncocoa
03-25-2014, 03:28 PM
No. You set your own standard, and you should base it on virtue, principles and logic. Parroting Ron Paul is not the way. I don't think you're following the discussion as closely as you think you are. I don't claim to set the standard for what might be considered "purity" on liberty issues. But I know it when I see it. And it looks like Ron Paul to me.

serenityrick
03-25-2014, 03:29 PM
Rush has always been a tool and mouthpiece for the GOP establishment.

Yeah he just loves McCain, Christie, McConnell...

Oh wait.