PDA

View Full Version : Big photo of Rand at top of New York Times today

jct74
03-20-2014, 12:43 PM
http://i.imgur.com/mRc0GzM.png

Rand Paul, Warning About Spying, Faults Obama

By JEREMY W. PETERS
MARCH 19, 2014

BERKELEY, Calif. — Senator Rand Paul, Republican of Kentucky, said Wednesday that President Obama should be particularly wary of domestic spying, given the government’s history of eavesdropping on civil rights leaders like the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., injecting the issue of race into the contentious debate over surveillance.

“I find it ironic that the first African-American president has without compunction allowed this vast exercise of raw power by the N.S.A.,” Mr. Paul said in an address at the University of California, Berkeley.

“Certainly J. Edgar Hoover’s illegal spying on Martin Luther King and others in the civil rights movement should give us all pause,” he said. “Now if President Obama were here, he would say he’s not J. Edgar Hoover, which is certainly true. But power must be restrained because no one knows who will next hold that power.”

Mr. Paul’s remarks were part of his effort to bring his libertarian brand of conservatism to audiences in less friendly territory. Here at a campus that has been a wellspring of American liberalism, he tried to speak in an informal way, bluntly telling students he was a defender of the rights they hold dear. “I believe what you do on a cellphone is none of their damn business,” Mr. Paul said in one of the lines that drew the most applause.

read more:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/20/us/politics/rand-paul-speaks-at-berkeley.html

georgiaboy
03-20-2014, 03:54 PM
bump.
pic is big, but it should've been cropped to make Rand bigger. back-handed compliment no doubt, esp. based on the content.

The article annoys me. I'll call it snide and leave it at that.

Except that I'd break the link.

whoisjohngalt
03-20-2014, 04:22 PM
bump.
pic is big, but it should've been cropped to make Rand bigger. back-handed compliment no doubt, esp. based on the content.

The article annoys me. I'll call it snide and leave it at that.

Except that I'd break the link.

It's the New York Times. I agree with your points and more. They try to frame it as an attack on Obama (that's all the GOP does according to them) which makes it easy to dismiss. He mentioned Obama one time in a 20 minute speech, I think?

You can't buy press like this. They can subtly disparage him all they want in the article, but the net effect will be tremendous in promoting him as Mr. 4th Amendment to the average voter.

alucard13mm
03-20-2014, 05:36 PM
i like how they put in the teleprompter :p

milgram
03-20-2014, 06:26 PM
Looks like he's assuming the position for the TSA.

Warlord
03-20-2014, 08:08 PM
WINNING