PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul gets standing ovation at Berkeley: ‘Your right to privacy is under assault’

jct74
03-19-2014, 05:31 PM
http://i.imgur.com/zxAmh7c.png

Rand Paul gets standing ovation at Berkeley: ‘Your right to privacy is under assault’

by Alex Pappas
7:13 PM 03/19/2014

BERKELEY, Calif. — Delivering a rare speech for a Republican at this bastion of liberalism, Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul on Wednesday was given multiple standing ovations by the left-wing audience after railing against government surveillance and warning the students: “Your right to privacy is under assault.”

“I am here to tell you that if you own a cell phone, you’re under surveillance,” he told the crowd.

Paul’s address at the Berkeley Forum on the campus of the University of California at Berkeley focused on the National Security Agency’s collection of telephone metadata and the debate over privacy.

During his remarks, the potential 2016 Republican candidate discussed California Sen. Dianne Feinstein’s claim that the CIA had spied on her congressional staff, and announced that he plans to call for a special committee on Capitol Hill to investigate the domestic spying by government agencies .

“No one should be allowed to invade your privacy,” Paul said. “That’s why I’m announcing today that when I return to Washington, I will push for a select committee styled after the Church Committee that investigated the abuses of pwoer of the intelligence committee in the 70s. It should be bipartisan. It should be independent, and wide reaching. It should have full power to investigate and reform those who spy on us in the name of protecting us.”

read more:
http://dailycaller.com/2014/03/19/rand-paul-gets-standing-ovation-at-berkeley-your-right-to-privacy-is-under-assault/

Petar
03-19-2014, 05:38 PM
Rand really should sacrifice his tremendous success by appearing weak on Crimea.

We need more political failure in order to effectively decrease the size and scope of government.

lib3rtarian
03-19-2014, 05:47 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjYmrNGwX0U

ClydeCoulter
03-19-2014, 06:13 PM
Rand really should sacrifice his tremendous success by appearing weak on Crimea.

We need more political failure in order to effectively decrease the size and scope of government.

Is this like "thread overflow", @Petar?

r3volution 3.0
03-19-2014, 06:16 PM

...lol

Tywysog Cymru
03-19-2014, 06:24 PM

Americans don't want anyone to be tough on Crimea, most Americans just want the US to stay out.

supermario21
03-19-2014, 06:38 PM
Americans want to be like Rand on Crimea. Say some bullshit macho statement and not do anything.

idiom
03-19-2014, 07:09 PM
Its not just your privacy that the NSA is threatening.

Rand needs to talk about the other things that are provided by the innocuous 'right to privacy'.

Your right not to incriminate yourself, your right to a free trial, Roe vs Wade, the NSA is attacking all of them.

He may know that but his audience doesn't. He really needs to expound upon the indirect but far reaching consequences of letting the government watch everything you do.

Hyperion
03-19-2014, 07:43 PM
Rand is good but he's frustrating. There should be no income tax.

Crashland
03-19-2014, 08:04 PM

Well, 0% is a flat tax :-P

Dianne
03-19-2014, 08:11 PM
I had no doubt Rand would rock the house. America isn't divided, only lifetime politicians are divided.

jct74
03-19-2014, 08:28 PM
http://i.imgur.com/zxAmh7c.png

http://www.drudgereport.com/

Rudeman
03-19-2014, 08:29 PM

Ideally, but it's sort of tough to get to that point overnight. If he can find a way to dismantle or severely weaken the IRS that would be huge.

idiom
03-19-2014, 11:05 PM
Ideally, but it's sort of tough to get to that point overnight. If he can find a way to dismantle or severely weaken the IRS that would be huge.

How out of touch is everyone here at the moment?

We can't even weaken the NSA. Or the DEA. Or the FED.

But lets get mad cuz the IRS is still existing?

jurgs01
03-19-2014, 11:09 PM
I attended. I was actually surprised at how many students were there. It was probably 80% Berkeley students (I thought it would have been dominated by people traveling to see Paul, but I guess the tickets going up Friday night made it mostly students.

Liberty candidates John Dennis and Matt Heath were there, and there was a small group of Berkeley kids with Igor Birman t-shirts.

There was a couple of student liberty organizations there, but why no YAL?

Rudeman
03-19-2014, 11:16 PM

Eliminating just 1 of those 4 would basically require a miracle at this point.

kcchiefs6465
03-19-2014, 11:17 PM

Ron Paul: Privacy is Dead and Gone

http://video.foxnews.com/v/3362965325001/ron-paul-privacy-is-dead-and-gone/

jct74
03-20-2014, 12:09 AM
US intelligence community is 'drunk with power': Sudden GOP rock star Rand Paul wows college students at ultra-liberal UC Berkeley with an eye toward 2016

• Kentucky senator blasted the CIA, NSA and Senate Intelligence Committee for working overtime to hide snooping programs from US taxpayers
• NSA leaders are 'only sorry they got caught' when Edward Snowden leaked details of their surveillance programs, Paul said
• Speech was on the campus of the liberal bastion UC Berkeley, the latest in a string of outreach appearances calculated to broaden his appeal
• Asked if he's burnishing hie image in preparation for a White House run in 2016, he said only: 'Maybe'

PUBLISHED: 00:47 EST, 20 March 2014

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/03/20/article-2584956-1C6EABD100000578-614_634x498.jpg

Republican Senator Rand Paul walked into enemy territory Wednesday night – the often-dubbed 'People's Republic' of Berkeley, California – and castigated America's spying apparatus before an unlikely constituency of well-wishers: college students from one of the most liberal universities in the U.S.

About 400 crowded into a UC Berkeley auditorium to hear the Kentucky civil libertarian rail against a National Security Agency that shows 'sheer arrogance,' and whose leaders are 'only sorry they got caught' when leaker Edward Snowden spilled his guts.

'No one on the [Senate] Intelligence Committee was even contrite,' Paul recalled, jabbing also at his colleagues. 'Their only regret was that the program was no longer secret.'

'Your rights, especially your right to privacy, are under assault,' he told the audience, in between stretches of sustained applause.

Referring to published claims that the Central Intelligence Agency spied on California Democratic Senator Dianne Feinstein’s staffers, Paul said: 'I think I perceive fear of an intelligence community that’s drunk with power, unrepentant and uninclined to relinquish power.'

And appealing to college students' unalienable right to mobile phone calls and text messages, he laid a major applause line on the table during the 40-minute event.

read more:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2584956/US-intelligence-community-drunk-power-Sudden-GOP-rock-star-Rand-Paul-wows-college-students-ultra-liberal-UC-Berkeley-eye-2016.html

eleganz
03-20-2014, 12:29 AM
I attended. I was actually surprised at how many students were there. It was probably 80% Berkeley students (I thought it would have been dominated by people traveling to see Paul, but I guess the tickets going up Friday night made it mostly students.

Liberty candidates John Dennis and Matt Heath were there, and there was a small group of Berkeley kids with Igor Birman t-shirts.

There was a couple of student liberty organizations there, but why no YAL?

Sad no YAL was present, that would've been the perfect opportunity to sign people up for YAL membership.

jllundqu
03-20-2014, 11:34 AM
Lots of good press for Rand, lately.... kinda freakin me out.

idiom
03-20-2014, 01:39 PM
Eliminating just 1 of those 4 would basically require a miracle at this point.

Given the enormous national debt and deficit, which is likely to get the axe first, things we can't afford, or the way we pay for them?

kcchiefs6465
03-20-2014, 11:38 PM
Given the enormous national debt and deficit, which is likely to get the axe first, things we can't afford, or the way we pay for them?
The way we fund them will be axed before the agencies and bureaucracies are.