PDA

View Full Version : two of my GOP reps voted against prohibiting towns from aquiring military vehicles

skfornh
03-19-2014, 09:59 AM
Text of the bill is short and sweet:

II. Except as provided in paragraph I, no state agency or political subdivision of this state shall acquire, purchase, or otherwise accept for use any military-equipped vehicle or military grade hardware, including but not limited to armored personnel carriers, title II weapons, unmanned aerial vehicles, or unmanned ground vehicles, unless such military grade vehicle or hardware is readily available in an open national commercial market. The adjutant general shall notify the state attorney general of a violation of this paragraph. Any military-equipped vehicle or military grade hardware acquired in violation hereof shall be forfeited.
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/legislation/2014/HB1307.html

I agree with Rep. Calvin D Pratt who wrote the Minority opinion for the House Executive Departments and Administration committee:

The committee heard that there is a growing number of communities that are accepting military equipment that is designed for the battle field. The equipment includes such items as armored personnel carriers and fully automatic firearms. The citizens have expressed through numerous petitions that they are uncomfortable with this armament of the police force. The increase in “no-knock” searches is also on the rise and this equipment could lead to an escalation of tensions and potentially lead to more danger for the patrol officers. Furthermore, the equipment has not been designed for use in the towns and cities of New Hampshire, the equipment was designed to be used on the battle field. Lastly, this is a very inefficient use of taxpayer funds as this equipment requires special service, and the parts are more expensive than the commercial-off-the-shelf equipment that is already in use by the police force. Two groups raised concerns, one of local control and one of the obligations of the National Guard to report on these acquisitions that have been addressed in a minority amendment. The amendment will allow local political subdivisions to purchase military-equipped vehicles or other similar equipment after approval by that subdivision’s voters. The amendment also satisfies the National Guard reporting concern.

This was a pro-liberty bill.

IndianaPolitico
03-19-2014, 02:15 PM
Wait, military grade hardware.... I have military grade hardware in my basement.

skfornh
03-19-2014, 02:25 PM
Are you a planning commission or other political subdivision?

IndianaPolitico
03-19-2014, 02:57 PM
Sometimes I wish.... LOL. I just have a bit of a problem with focusing on the tool, not how it is used. Say for instance a local police department has a Brinks truck. (Which our county department does.) In the view of the law, what is the difference between an armored Brinks truck, and an armored army surplus vehicle?

EBounding
03-24-2014, 01:31 PM
In the view of the law, what is the difference between an armored Brinks truck, and an armored army surplus vehicle?

This is how they're trying to trick voters. It's not just about the town having a military style vehicle, it's about federal government creep in our communities. A MRAP, or whatever, was paid by US taxpayers for "defense", not to roll down Main Street. If it can't be used for US National security, it should be scrapped. If the city really wants these vehicles/weapons, they should have to pay for it on the open market like anyone else would (like in the bill). They would then have to face the consequences from voters for making such a ridiculous purchase.

Keith and stuff
03-24-2014, 02:10 PM
I'm thinking about encouraging a NH Rep. to sponsor a much more limited version of this bill next session. It was too ambitious. It did bring this idea to the national conversation though. Because of that, a bill on the same subject was introduced to the US House. So a lot of good came from this bill (including a roll call vote), even if it failed.

TaftFan
03-24-2014, 02:25 PM
I could see advantages in local law enforcement having this type of equipment if SHTF and martial law is declared. We might be able to resist with the help of the local police.

Keith and stuff
03-24-2014, 02:58 PM
I could see advantages in local law enforcement having this type of equipment if SHTF and martial law is declared. We might be able to resist with the help of the local police.

The reason the war vehicles are being donated to local government organizations is so that when the next war comes around, the government will have to buy new, more expensive war vehicles from the war vehicle manufacturers.

fr33
03-24-2014, 11:01 PM

Why would local law enforcement oppose the feds on martial law? They've been cooperating with fusion centers to spy on patriot groups.

Keith and stuff
03-24-2014, 11:19 PM
Why would local law enforcement oppose the feds on martial law? They've been cooperating with fusion centers to spy on patriot groups.

If local law enforcement was opposed to the Feds, they would not take these free vehicles. To date, no town or city has rejected one of these military vehicles.