PDA

View Full Version : Damn our government..........Again! Russian Lumber Exports Could be Blocked

tod evans
03-19-2014, 05:03 AM
I use a considerable amount of Russian birch...:mad:

Russian Lumber Exports Could be Blocked by Crimea Crisis

http://www.woodworkingnetwork.com/wood-blogs/industrial-woodworker/production-bill-esler/Russian-Lumber-Exports-Could-be-Blocked-by-Crimea-Crisis--250601841.html#sthash.jrQtudDy.dpbs?utm_source=745 5D6015034H5R&utm_medium=eNL&utm_campaign=Woodworking+Network+Daily_20140318&utm_term=lumber&utm_content=Edit

Lumber shipments from Russia could be blocked as the U.S. and Europe freeze certain financial transactions following the Crimean vote to leave the Ukraine. How the Russians will respond to whatever roadblocks are thrown up to them is anyone's guess.

Russian Timber Group, one of Russia's largest timber firms, says East Asian markets dominate its sales, with over 50%, the rest to former Soviet countries, various Russian regions, Europe, and Egypt. From January to June 2013, deliveries doubled, primarily due to increased high-quality lumber production at the group’s mills.
It is not clear whether financial interests rule in a country that sees its markets governed by fiat.

Some background: Once the world's largest log exporter, Russia moved to limit its log exports by adopting a tariff. The idea, which has been implemented for various commodities in a number of countries - including Canada (plywood) and the U.S. (oil and gas) - is to increase domestic value-added, or to ensure availability of domestic supply. In Russia's case, the intent was to ship greater quantities of more profitable lumber and plywood.

Following the tariffs, log exports fell dramatically, down $2 billion over six years, as Russia's share of globally traded logs fell from 44% in 2006 to 15% in 2013, according to Hakan Ekstrom at Wood Resource Quarterly.

"When log export tariffs of 25% were implemented for softwood logs, all major trading partners reduced their reliance on Russian logs and diversified their log supply sources fairly swiftly," says Ekstrom.

Meanwhile, when Russia avidly sought membership in the World Trade Organization in 2012, it was forced to role back the tariffs. That didn't restore log sales - down $2 billion for the period - while sales of lumber and plywood rose just $300 million during the period.

puppetmaster
03-19-2014, 05:32 AM
Sorry to hear that....I bet the lumber industry lobbied for sanctions.

green73
03-19-2014, 05:47 AM
Sorry to hear that....I bet the lumber industry lobbied for sanctions.

yes!

Cap
03-19-2014, 07:31 AM
Ah, kwit cher whinin, klamath says we're all just a bunch of Russian communists anyways. Hah, Russian wood, go find yerself some good ole merican wood.

Henry Rogue
03-19-2014, 07:33 AM
Governments love to wreck economies and create poverty.

phill4paul
03-19-2014, 07:35 AM
Those sanctions are really hurting those Ruskies, eh? SMDH.

Occam's Banana
03-19-2014, 07:46 AM
I use a considerable amount of Russian birch...:mad:

Russia has been identified as a threat to "American interests."
You are an American. Therefore, Russia is a threat to your interests.
So don't you understand that this kind of thing needs to be done?
It's for your own good, after all ...

FindLiberty
03-19-2014, 07:54 AM
Tod, why you no buy Murikan sheet?

Root
03-19-2014, 07:57 AM
Russia has been identified as a threat to "American interests."
You are an American. Therefore, Russia is a threat to your interests.
So don't you understand that this kind of thing needs to be done?
It's for your own good, after all ...

Really tod, get with the program or get reported (again). :cool:

Icymudpuppy
03-19-2014, 08:18 AM
Is there really any difference between Russian Birch, Alaskan Birch, and Canadian Birch?

tod evans
03-19-2014, 08:21 AM
Tod, why you no buy Murikan sheet?

Actually I consume much more 'Merican shit than anything else....

The plywood product I use has been the staple of American furniture manufacturers for over 1/2 a century and I haven't found anything available that can compare...

angelatc
03-19-2014, 08:54 AM
I am just happy to know that my Sodastream is safe.

green73
03-19-2014, 09:15 AM
Actually I consume much more 'Merican shit than anything else....

The plywood product I use has been the staple of American furniture manufacturers for over 1/2 a century and I haven't found anything available that can compare...

Fuck that noise, you've been aiding the enemy. Expect a visit from officer fedly.

Origanalist
03-19-2014, 09:23 AM
Why do you hate America?

Root
03-19-2014, 09:51 AM
Why do you hate America?
He hates amerkia for our freedoms, obviouslly

Acala
03-19-2014, 10:09 AM
Damn! I hadn't thought about that. Baltic Birch plywood is really the only plywood suitable for precision jigs and fixtures. I had better high-tail it to the store and stock up.

FYI:http://www.rockler.com/how-to/difference-baltic-veneer-birch-plywood/

When America starts making it, I'll start buying it.

Henry Rogue
03-19-2014, 10:13 AM
Damn! I hadn't thought about that. Baltic Birch plywood is really the only plywood suitable for precision jigs and fixtures. I had better high-tail it to the store and stock up.
Wood hoarder.

Acala
03-19-2014, 10:14 AM
Wood hoarder.

You have seen my shop then?

GunnyFreedom
03-19-2014, 10:26 AM
Ah, kwit cher whinin, klamath says we're all just a bunch of Russian communists anyways. Hah, Russian wood, go find yerself some good ole merican wood.

I never thought I would see the day that our own people would lie about members of our movement to hurt them. SMDH.

Henry Rogue
03-19-2014, 10:28 AM
You have seen my shop then?
No, what do you make? Did you ever put any pictures in the "What do you do for a living" thread? I know Tod, I remember his spiral stair case.

Acala
03-20-2014, 12:03 PM
No, what do you make? Did you ever put any pictures in the "What do you do for a living" thread? I know Tod, I remember his spiral stair case.

In light of Tod's spiral staircase, I am ashamed to post anything I make. I'm just a duffer.

Edit: maybe when I am home tonight I'll snap a photo or two.

JK/SEA
03-20-2014, 12:59 PM
i hope they don't cancel 'Axmen' over this...

Anti Federalist
03-20-2014, 02:55 PM
I never thought I would see the day that our own people would lie about members of our movement to hurt them. SMDH.

That member to which you are referring has made it clear on many occasions that he thinks we are all a bunch of blood thirsty monsters that he does not trust as far as he could throw any of us.

Reminds me of this guy...wishing he never took the red pill.

http://matrix-philosophy.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/cypher.jpg

green73
03-20-2014, 03:24 PM
That member to which you are referring has made it clear on many occasions that he thinks we are all a bunch of blood thirsty monsters that he does not trust as far as he could throw any of us.

Reminds me of this guy...wishing he never took the red pill.

http://matrix-philosophy.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/cypher.jpg

He took the red pill?

http://25.media.tumblr.com/4e7e6601741ef493b5c81ab3a7287843/tumblr_n1h2bmd1Zm1ttcarho1_400.gif