PDA

View Full Version : Edward Snowden speaks at TED2014

jim49er
03-18-2014, 09:07 PM
Appearing by telepresence robot, Edward Snowden speaks at TED2014 about surveillance and Internet freedom. The right to data privacy, he suggests, is not a partisan issue, but requires a fundamental rethink of the role of the internet in our lives — and the laws that protect it. "Your rights matter,” he say, "because you never know when you're going to need them." Chris Anderson interviews, with special guest Tim Berners-Lee.

http://www.ted.com/talks/edward_snowden_here_s_how_we_take_back_the_interne t

Natural Citizen
03-18-2014, 09:14 PM
Going to have to check this out. I do like me a good TED Talk. In it's current state Internet freedom is far too susceptible to the established processes of it's keepers. And certainly disruption makes things new again when it's not deterred by those processes. And disruption do make ideas fresh, for sure. Thanks for the link.

qh4dotcom
03-18-2014, 09:21 PM
Considering how the US has been treating Russia lately over the situation in Crimea, I guess there is zero chance Putin will extradite Snowden back to the US.

liberty2897
03-18-2014, 09:53 PM
Just finished watching. Thank you for posting this. Very excellent interview!

lol

Some people are furious with you. Dick Cheney, for instance, described Julian Assange as a fleabite, and said you are the lion that bit the head off the dog. He thinks you’ve committed one of worst acts of betrayal in human history.

Snowden:

I would say the last year has been a reminder that democracy may die behind closed doors. We don’t have to give up privacy to have good government, we don’t have to give up liberty to have security. By working together we can have open government and private lives. I look forward to working with everyone to see that happen.

liberty2897
03-19-2014, 01:16 PM
bump for those that missed it?

erowe1
03-19-2014, 01:17 PM
Does "telepresence robot" just mean TV?

VIDEODROME
03-19-2014, 01:27 PM
Does "telepresence robot" just mean TV?

I think it means TV on TV.

Actually, I'd like to see a TV show with Ed Snowden and Julian Assange both together on Telepresence. Wow.