PDA

View Full Version : Michael Reagan: Rand Paul understands what GOP must do

devil21
03-18-2014, 09:01 PM
http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/courier/opinion/rand-paul-understands-what-gop-must-do/article_17ba2768-fc4f-57bd-80f8-40f599fac94c.html

I disagree with some of Rand Paul’s more libertarian positions, especially on social issues. And I’m certainly not endorsing him or anyone else to be the Republican nominee for president at this time.

But Sen. Paul of Kentucky did two things recently that won my favor.

He showed the 2,500 conservative activists at the CPAC conference last weekend that he understands what the GOP must do if it wants to take the Senate this fall and win back the White House.

And then on Monday he wrote a good column for Breitbart.com calling for his fellow Republican presidential wannabes to, as the headline said, “Stop warping Ronald Reagan’s foreign policy.”

CPAC, as all conservatives and political junkies know, is the annual bathing beauty competition for every Republican who’s ever had a daydream about running for president.

Sen. Paul’s brand of libertarian-leaning conservatism has shifted the GOP’s center of gravity his way and everyone at CPAC knew it.

In his Breitbart column he did two good things. He reminded his more bellicose fellow presidential competitors that their hero Ronald Reagan was a peacemaker and a negotiator, not a war-maker.

more at link

anaconda
03-18-2014, 10:39 PM
What an establishment apologist Michael Reagan is. By the way his dad sold out to the Rockefeller establishment in the 1980 general election (about 80 CFR people in the Reagan cabinet). And the "evangelicals" did not stay home in 2012, the conservatives did. And Reagan fails to mention that the GOP voters don't get a chance to select the best nominee because the primary is rigged by the media.

Deborah K
03-18-2014, 10:43 PM
What an establishment apologist Michael Reagan is. Does he still refer to himself as a libertarian these days? By the way his dad sold out to the Rockefeller establishment in the 1980 general election (about 80 CFR people in the Reagan cabinet). And the "evangelicals" did not stay home in 2012, the conservatives did.

I disagree. Evangelicals generally don't like Mormons.

Ronin Truth
03-18-2014, 10:48 PM
Hey Michael, do you think just maybe Rand learned a thing or two from his Dad?

anaconda
03-18-2014, 11:05 PM
I disagree. Evangelicals generally don't like Mormons.

I think Michael Reagan saying "evangelicals" stayed home is a bit of deflecting style propaganda. As if to blame "evangelicals." When the larger reality and bigger and more honest story may be that more and more GOP voters are simply seeing through the facade and that the media-backed candidates are not remotely conservative nor remotely acceptable.

anaconda
03-18-2014, 11:50 PM
Sad story, according to Wiki Michael was shipped off to boarding school at age 6 and saw his parents 4 days per month. Another anecdote on the wiki page: Ronald showed up for his graduation and wasn't able to identify him, apparently...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Reagan

TomKat
03-18-2014, 11:56 PM
I disagree with some of Rand Paul’s more libertarian positions, especially on social issues. And I’m certainly not endorsing him or anyone else to be the Republican nominee for president at this time.

But Sen. Paul of Kentucky did two things recently that won my favor.

He showed the 2,500 conservative activists at the CPAC conference last weekend that he understands what the GOP must do if it wants to take the Senate this fall and win back the White House.

And then on Monday he wrote a good column for Breitbart.com calling for his fellow Republican presidential wannabes to, as the headline said, “Stop warping Ronald Reagan’s foreign policy.”

CPAC, as all conservatives and political junkies know, is the annual bathing beauty competition for every Republican who’s ever had a daydream about running for president.

Sen. Paul’s brand of libertarian-leaning conservatism has shifted the GOP’s center of gravity his way and everyone at CPAC knew it.

In his Breitbart column he did two good things. He reminded his more bellicose fellow presidential competitors that their hero Ronald Reagan was a peacemaker and a negotiator, not a war-maker.

I take this as a pat on the back to "our movement", Congrats guys!!
The fact that a step-son to "the establishment" feels that he needs to give "us" dues is huge, even if it seems like a defensive stance. This is the same guy that was attacking the 1st amendment a few years back, while at the same moment he was pretentending to stick up for Ron. After that he said he would pay for the bullets to kill Mark Dice (whatever your opinion of him or his opinions might be).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdJO-kUINMs

I take this as proof that "we" as a movement, no matter what the core belief as long as it is liberty, are changing the topic of discussion. Give yourself a high five!!

(I know that I put a lot of quotes there but I am trying to stay unbiased yet optimistic)

FSP-Rebel
03-19-2014, 10:45 AM
I'll take any puff piece by a Reagan

specsaregood
03-19-2014, 10:49 AM
What an establishment apologist Michael Reagan is. By the way his dad sold out to the Rockefeller establishment in the 1980 general election (about 80 CFR people in the Reagan cabinet).

hah, somebody has been reading shadows of power. I've quoted that bit a few times on rpfs. I used a highlighter on my copy.