PDA

View Full Version : States Use Loophole to Erase 8 Billion of Food Stamp Cuts

Origanalist
03-17-2014, 09:49 PM
Just one month after passage of the 2014 farm bill designed to slim food stamp payments, governors in six states have found a way to to keep hundreds of millions of dollars flowing to food stamp recipients, a sum that could total more than $8 billion over the next decade.

"Since the passage of the farm bill, states have found ways to cheat, once again, on signing up people for food stamps," said Speaker John Boehner (R-OH). "And so I would hope that the House would act to try to stop this cheating and this fraud from continuing."

The maneuver involves something known as the "heat and eat" loophole, which allows anyone who qualifies for the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) to automatically be eligible for the food stamp program's utility allowance, thereby boosting food stamp benefits. A provision in the 2014 farm bill increased the LIHEAP trigger from $1 to $20. The Congressional Budget Office said that would save taxpayers more than $8 billion over the next decade.

However, the governors of New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, Montana, and Oregon have simply increased their LIHEAP payments to $20 to bag the additional food stamp funds. The Wall Street Journal dubbed the trick "cheat and eat."

continued...http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/03/17/States-Use-Loophole-to-Erase-8-Billion-of-Food-Stamp-Cuts

Natural Citizen
03-17-2014, 09:57 PM
Hm. So, I suppose that all of those politicians who just happen to own the biggest farms and benefitted the most from that bill and yet claim to oppose the nanny state still get to keep all of their subsidies and their pockets as well as their perspective states will continue to be lined by agribusiness assuming that they continue to plant gmo? That's still all good. Right?

Not to change the subject or anything, O. I was just kind of wondering since you brought the Farm Bill up. Made me think of that tyranny for a hot second.

Origanalist
03-17-2014, 10:04 PM
Hm. So, I suppose that all of those politicians who just happen to own the biggest farms and benefitted the most from that bill and yet claim to oppose the nanny state still get to keep all of their subsidies and their pockets as well as their perspective states will continue to be lined by agribusiness assuming that they continue to plant gmo? That's still all good. Right?

Not to change the subject or anything, O. I was just kind of wondering since you brought the Farm Bill up. Made me think of that tyranny for a hot second.

No worries from me. The graft is equally distributed.

Natural Citizen
03-17-2014, 10:22 PM
No worries from me. The graft is equally distributed.

I kind of figured that the food stamp thing wouldn't last long. I have to be honest though, it was a small cut anyhow and the welfare in general doesn't annoy me a fraction as much as the corporate welfare flung all over the place. Especially when some of the legislation that justifies it goes to the same darn politicians who own the companies and then support that legislation. And then on the flipside of the tongue spew some nonsense about opposing the nanny state. It's a real hoot. And then next they'll be writing legislation to regulate their own competition.

oyarde
03-17-2014, 11:04 PM
In the two counties closest to me that I own property in ( never go to the third , just pay my property tax there ) , there is no need for ANY food stamps . You could get a hot meal a day and groceries for the rest from the local Churches and voluntarily funded and staffed food banks ea day of the week. I wish to pay for no food stamps , nor do I approve of taxes that support this being stolen from guys who work for me . The USDA needs abolished .If my taxes are cut , I will donate more to my local charities . I sometimes donate cash , things I have grown , sometimes canned goods . I would prefer to do more . It pisses me off to no end that fuckers buy things with these that working people do not put into budget and get by with less. This is bullshit theft .

mad cow
03-17-2014, 11:16 PM
I kind of figured that the food stamp thing wouldn't last long. I have to be honest though, it was a small cut anyhow and the welfare in general doesn't annoy me a fraction as much as the corporate welfare flung all over the place. Especially when some of the legislation that justifies it goes to the same darn politicians who own the companies and then support that legislation. And then on the flipside of the tongue spew some nonsense about opposing the nanny state. It's a real hoot. And then next they'll be writing legislation to regulate their own competition.

It is both.Welfare for the food stamp recipients,corporate welfare for the farmers and food stores selling to them who would have less profit if people had to budget their food spending to live within their means.

More rice and beans,less steak and lobster.

Natural Citizen
03-17-2014, 11:23 PM
It is both.Welfare for the food stamp recipients,corporate welfare for the farmers and food stores selling to them who would have less profit if people had to budget their food spending to live within their means.

More rice and beans,less steak and lobster.

Heck, I don't usually like to go to the grocery store but when I do what I usually see people buying is a bunch of junk that's probably going to have them on prescription drugs that are designed to treat their bad choices for the rest of their lives while they continue to make them. Like the whole cart. It's a mess alright.Just one big pile of processed...stuff.

That's not to say that people don't do what you're saying, I suppose. I'm sure that many do.

Anti Federalist
03-17-2014, 11:29 PM
This irritates me, especially after cutting checks to two local food banks today.