PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul is the GOP frontrunner

ssunlimited
03-17-2014, 12:48 PM
"Sen. Rand Paul, a first-term senator from Kentucky, surprised more than a few pundits when he topped one of the first major polls surveying voters' feelings on the 2016 Republican presidential primary. This poll-leading position is something his father, Ron, a frequent candidate for president, never held. And, even though it's still early, I think that there's a good case that Paul's early support may turn into something real. In other words, he's a legitimate frontrunner."

Read more: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eli-lehrer/rand-paul-yes-hes-really-_b_4976900.html

r3volution 3.0
03-17-2014, 01:06 PM
Rand's early frontrunner status makes a lot of people in the liberty movement nervous, but not me. First, while true that he'll be subject to greater scrutinty for a longer period of time (more "vetting"), I doubt there are any more skeletons in the closet to be found. Aqua Buddha, "plagiarism," the Southern Avenger, and his view of the Civil Rights Act have already come out and didn't have much impact. The more they recycle those attacks the less effective they'll be. I'd prefer that the MSM shoot its ammo now and have nothing left come primary season. Second, 9/10 of politics is name recognition and perceived electability, of which Rand gains more the longer he's in the spotlight as frontrunner.

limequat
03-17-2014, 02:25 PM
"Sen. Rand Paul, a first-term senator from Kentucky, surprised more than a few pundits when he topped one of the first major polls surveying voters' feelings on the 2016 Republican presidential primary. This poll-leading position is something his father, Ron, a frequent candidate for president, never held. And, even though it's still early, I think that there's a good case that Paul's early support may turn into something real. In other words, he's a legitimate frontrunner."

Read more: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eli-lehrer/rand-paul-yes-hes-really-_b_4976900.html

Note the link. Not the dailypaul, but huffpo.

limequat
03-17-2014, 02:29 PM
Rand's early frontrunner status makes a lot of people in the liberty movement nervous, but not me. First, while true that he'll be subject to greater scrutinty for a longer period of time (more "vetting"), I doubt there are any more skeletons in the closet to be found. Aqua Buddha, "plagiarism," the Southern Avenger, and his view of the Civil Rights Act have already come out and didn't have much impact. The more they recycle those attacks the less effective they'll be. I'd prefer that the MSM shoot its ammo now and have nothing left come primary season. Second, 9/10 of politics is name recognition and perceived electability, of which Rand gains more the longer he's in the spotlight as frontrunner.

Exactly.
1) "Who's this Rand Paul guy I keep hearing about?"
2) Rand Paul says something patently awesome.
3) "I kinda like that Rand Paul guy"
4) Votes for Rand Paul guy

^^ That's a high info voter

Otherwise this:
1) Goes to voting booth with no idea who to vote for
2) Scans list of R's
3) Sees a familiar name
4) Votes for familiar name

Xenliad
03-17-2014, 02:36 PM
I doubt there are any more skeletons in the closet to be found. Aqua Buddha, "plagiarism," the Southern Avenger, and his view of the Civil Rights Act have already come out and didn't have much impact.

Just wait until they start claiming that Rand wrote those newsletters.

limequat
03-17-2014, 02:46 PM

Guilt by association. That's what we'll hear all 2015. Rand Paul hangs around with r*cists. Therefore, Rand Paul is a R*cist.

Is the public stupid enough to buy it?

r3volution 3.0
03-17-2014, 02:48 PM

That won't fly, but they can (and will, and have) attempt to portray him as a racist by association (i.e. with Ron and Jack Hunter) and because of his remarks about the Civil Rights Act. IMO this is their most effective smear, but it's already out there and it hasn't been all that effective. Now, will it hurt Rand if they give it 24 hour coverage in the week leading up to the Iowa caucus, as they did with Ron vis a vis the newsletters? Probably, and that's all the more reason to hope that they wear out this line of attack now before primary season kicks off.

P.S. I might add, after 6 years of being told they're racists on a daily basis for criticizing the first black President, Republicans are getting increasingly immune to these attacks. It's possible that being called a racist by the MSM would actually increase Rand's popularity within some factions of the GOP electorate.

Tywysog Cymru
03-17-2014, 02:49 PM

Its the only explanation if Ron didn't write them.

limequat
03-17-2014, 02:51 PM
That won't fly, but they can (and will, and have) attempt to portray him as a racism by association (i.e. with Ron and Jack Hunter) and because of his remarks about the Civil Rights Act. IMO this is their most effective smear, but it's already out there and it hasn't been all that effective. Now, will it hurt Rand if they give it 24 hour coverage in the week leading up to the Iowa caucus, as they did with Ron vis a vis the newsletters? Probably, and that's all the more reason to hope that they wear out this line of attack now before primary seasons kicks off.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to r3volution 3.0 again."

Bring it on, lay it out on the table.

A lot of us were around in 2007 as neophytes. We were astonished at the tricks they pulled.
In 2011 we hoped they wouldn't use the same tricks again. They did.
In 2015, we PLAN for them to pull out the same old tricks.
I think I might smile if I hear about the Newsletters this time.

limequat
03-17-2014, 02:52 PM
Its the only explanation if Ron didn't write them.

Shoot the hostage.