PDA

View Full Version : Michigan business group: Workers fired for using medical marijuana shouldn't get jobless aid

RonPaulFanInGA
03-16-2014, 03:23 PM
http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/michigan-business-group-workers-fired-for-using-medical-marijuana-shouldnt-get-jobless-aid/25004000

Michigan's leading business group is urging the state appeals court to rule out jobless benefits for people who are fired for using medical marijuana.

The appeals court has cases pending involving people who sought benefits after being dismissed. Judges in Kent and Ingham counties have ruled in favor of the workers, while the Michigan Chamber of Commerce has filed a friend-of-the-court brief seeking to uphold the right of employers to fire employees for marijuana.

moostraks
03-16-2014, 03:26 PM
Big pharma has to make sure people get their drugs from the right sources...

Anti Federalist
03-16-2014, 04:01 PM
You are not free if the exercise of freedom results in becoming homeless and destitute.

oyarde
03-16-2014, 04:06 PM
You are not free if the exercise of freedom results in becoming homeless and destitute.

Yeah , but this is easily seen in advance .Employers will still make the rules .

DamianTV
03-16-2014, 04:11 PM
This is when the Law should be enforced: protect the Rights of PEOPLE. If it is legal for medicinal use, the legality supercedes this business groups authority.

oyarde
03-16-2014, 04:22 PM
This is when the Law should be enforced: protect the Rights of PEOPLE. If it is legal for medicinal use, the legality supercedes this business groups authority.
Where I live , I bet if weed became totally legal for everyone next week , business would still retain the authority to drug test and terminate . Just guessing .

DamianTV
03-16-2014, 04:37 PM
Where I live , I bet if weed became totally legal for everyone next week , business would still retain the authority to drug test and terminate . Just guessing .

Scope of Authority: dictating expectations of workers while at work is reasonable, but dictating expectations of things that occur outside of work is beyond their authority and would need to be negotiated. So dont come to work while high on something used for recreational purposes (both pot and alcohol), however, depends on usage. Pot can be refined down so that pain relief properties can be achieved without getting stoned. Just as Alcohol can be used to clean skin without the user getting drunk. Many anti pot groups make absolutely no distiction between the two applications.

Biggest problem that I see is there is no negotiations occuring, they treat people as if they are disposable. But yeah, I do agree, it wouldnt stop them from trying. Oh, youre sick? Lets just fire you. Oh you get drunk at home after a bad day at work? Lets just fire you. Determining the Limits of Rights can be achieved by discussion, however, they dont talk, they Dictate. They come down and say you WILL be paid minimum wage. You WILL be obedient. You will work the schedule we assign without question. Oh, and of course, you WILL NOT be offered medical coverage in exchange for employment. And finding another employer that is more willing to negotiate just isnt as easy as many make it sound.

Wooden Indian
03-16-2014, 07:23 PM
I would agree with this. Then again, I don't think ANYONE should get "jobless aid", so what the hell do I know?

angelatc
03-16-2014, 07:25 PM
Biggest problem that I see is there is no negotiations occuring, they treat people as if they are disposable. .

People are disposable. I know that irritates liberals, but it's true. Here you are, sobbing because the government isn't protecting us from the big meanies.

Get the economy booming again and there will be enough jobs for the sickly, the stoners and the drinkers alike.

oyarde
03-16-2014, 07:30 PM
I would agree with this. Then again, I don't think ANYONE should get "jobless aid", so what the hell do I know?

I have no problem with it , it should be private insurance . I would carry it if I had a house payment or kids to feed ....

oyarde
03-16-2014, 07:36 PM
People are disposable. I know that irritates liberals, but it's true. Here you are, sobbing because the government isn't protecting us from the big meanies.

Get the economy booming again and there will be enough jobs for the sickly, the stoners and the drinkers alike.

First CEO I ever worked for told me that anyone is replaceable . I was in his office and we were kind of knee deep into some disagreements . When he said that , I must have looked skeptical ( I sure as hell knew I was not replaceable :) ) . He said , I did not say your replacement would be as good as you are . When I left , went back to work , I grudgingly had to admit to myself he was correct . I will say this , it was a great place to work while he was there .Company pd insurance , no randoms . Helped me keep some good help .LOL

angelatc
03-16-2014, 07:47 PM
First CEO I ever worked for told me that anyone is replaceable . I was in his office and we were kind of knee deep into some disagreements . When he said that , I must have looked skeptical ( I sure as hell knew I was not replaceable :) ) . He said , I did not say your replacement would be as good as you are . When I left , went back to work , I grudgingly had to admit to myself he was correct . I will say this , it was a great place to work while he was there .Company pd insurance , no randoms . Helped me keep some good help .LOL

I remember going into PetSmart in the late '90's, and seeing a woman who had a pierced nose and wearing a leather collar working with customers .... I knew then that the economy was pretty good.

For all the crying that these statists do, I've had friends who were 6 months pregnant get hired. I've seen an employer keep a guy on the insurance for two years while he was recovering from a car accident. (Something that the insurance company did not allow!) When the guy finally got better, he cae back to the job, worked about a month, then quit to move out of state.

Some people are jerks, and no amount of whining will change that. Trying to control the with laws only ends up giving them more power.

jkr
03-16-2014, 08:01 PM
pee here
or
no buy or $ell

kcchiefs6465
03-16-2014, 08:02 PM
pee here
or
no buy or $ell
You could always sell pee.

Dr.3D
03-16-2014, 08:40 PM
I guess some employer could be a hare up his butt about people who use aspirin and if any were found in his employees urine, he could fire them. I wonder if the Michigan business group would object to those people getting unemployment benefits.

jkr
03-16-2014, 08:51 PM
You could always sell pee.
for FRN's?

nope
my bodily fluids are precious!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1KvgtEnABY

kcchiefs6465
03-16-2014, 08:57 PM
for FRN's?

nope
my bodily fluids are precious!

Legal tender laws are a bitch.

pcosmar
03-16-2014, 09:59 PM
Yeah , but this is easily seen in advance .Employers will still make the rules .

NO,,
Mostly they don't.
Insurance Companies make the rules.
OSHA and the EPA make the rules.

Employers are subject to a bunch of rules. They have to piss test to get insurance and have to have insurance to stay in business.

Except for rare ones that resist,, but they are rare.

pcosmar
03-16-2014, 10:07 PM
I miss Tom.. may he rest in Peace.

The first day I worked for him, he told me not to hurt myself. He didn't carry Insurance.

He also didn't piss test, And had a reputation for High Quality Repairs and Honest business.
He was blackballed by Insurance companies because he busted a dirty insurance adjuster. The shop stayed busy on Word of mouth advertizing and reputation.

He kept several of us employed and well paid and made money doing it. and we all smoked pot in the Paint booth.

God Bless an Honest businessman.

kcchiefs6465
03-16-2014, 10:11 PM
I miss Tom.. may he rest in Peace.

The first day I worked for him, he told me not to hurt myself. He didn't carry Insurance.

He also didn't piss test, And had a reputation for High Quality Repairs and Honest business.
He was blackballed by Insurance companies because he busted a dirty insurance adjuster. The shop stayed busy on Word of mouth advertizing and reputation.

He kept several of us employed and well paid and made money doing it. and we all smoked pot in the Paint booth.

God Bless an Honest businessman.
This system of laws, regulations, and fees has damn near ended that.

I know you know but for those who don't.

"Free market"?

What a joke.

oyarde
03-16-2014, 10:12 PM
NO,,
Mostly they don't.
Insurance Companies make the rules.
OSHA and the EPA make the rules.

Employers are subject to a bunch of rules. They have to piss test to get insurance and have to have insurance to stay in business.

Except for rare ones that resist,, but they are rare.

I learned first hand about OSHA when I managed a place for a Co owned by a steel mill . They had had a bad safety reputation ( string of deaths) , hired a former OSHA guy to rewrite all the safety reg.'s . The plant I worked at fell under the same rules as the steel mills once they bought it . It was a real production killer for me , our safety was very good previously ..... after that , my guys spent more time locking equipment out to make cutting tool adjustments than they did working .....

puppetmaster
03-16-2014, 10:20 PM
If the business is private then they can set their rules IMO. I also think jobless benefits are BS as well as medical excuses.