PDA

View Full Version : Exclusive: World’s most pristine waters are polluted by US Navy human waste

Anti Federalist
03-16-2014, 01:01 PM
Well good luck trying to stop it.

Under the IMO/USCG, guess who is exempt from compliance with, not just discharge regulations but whole swaths of rules?

Government vessels.

Exclusive: World’s most pristine waters are polluted by US Navy human waste

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/exclusive-worlds-most-pristine-waters-are-polluted-by-us-navy-human-waste-9193596.html

The American military has poured hundreds of tonnes of human sewage and waste water into a protected coral lagoon on the British-owned base of Diego Garcia over three decades in breach of environmental rules, The Independent can reveal.

The Indian Ocean base on the Chagos Islands has been one of the world’s most isolated and controversial military installations since Britain forcibly removed hundreds of islanders in the early 1970s, abandoning them to destitution, to make way for US forces including nuclear submarines and bombers.

The British Government has repeatedly underlined its commitment to maintaining the pristine environment of the islands, which are known as the British Indian Ocean Territory (BIOT) and were four years ago declared the world’s largest marine reserve.

Despite these undertakings, it has emerged that US Navy vessels have been discharging waste water, including treated sewage, into the clear lagoon ever since a naval support station was established on Diego Garcia in the early 1980s.

oyarde
03-16-2014, 01:25 PM
I think if you are stationed there , you are allowed to fish in the lagoon up to three miles out :)

oyarde
03-16-2014, 01:26 PM
I could go for a little Wahoo :)

Ronin Truth
03-16-2014, 01:38 PM
Everything government touches turns to crap.
Ringo Starr (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/quotes/authors/r/ringo_starr.html)

oyarde
03-16-2014, 01:43 PM
Everything government touches turns to crap.
Ringo Starr (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/quotes/authors/r/ringo_starr.html)

It appears to have that general flavor .

Brian4Liberty
03-16-2014, 01:49 PM
Despite these undertakings, it has emerged that US Navy vessels have been discharging waste water, including treated sewage, into the clear lagoon ever since a naval support station was established on Diego Garcia in the early 1980s.

At least it's treated. How much it is treated is the important part. Here's a little secret for you all. Many water districts mix "reclaimed" water into your tap water.

oyarde
03-16-2014, 01:50 PM
At least it's treated. How much it is treated is the important part. Here's a little secret for you all. Many water districts mix "reclaimed" water into your tap water.

I think so .

XNavyNuke
03-16-2014, 03:10 PM
If the newspaper has the document to prove it, then release the discharge logs.

XNN

Anti Federalist
03-16-2014, 03:55 PM
If the newspaper has the document to prove it, then release the discharge logs.

XNN

Are Navy vessels in foreign waters required to keep an NPDES discharge log?

Or just a formal naval log?

And it's much ado about nothing...gray water and MSD treated water.

Carson
03-16-2014, 04:17 PM

By treated I'm assuming that means run through the discharge pumps. :D

Wouldn't the corral micro organisms dig it? It's kind of like the navy is part of nature. Then again it might get freaky if the fish started coming up and pooping on our houses.

XNavyNuke
03-16-2014, 09:06 PM
Are Navy vessels in foreign waters required to keep an NPDES discharge log?

Or just a formal naval log?

And it's much ado about nothing...gray water and MSD treated water.

The story seems to indicate that this is a totality of discharges going back to 1980. In the late 80s, NAVSEA had CHT tank capacity increased on new construction and retrofitted back to ships laid down in the mid 70s. From that point on CHT discharges had to be done at least 3 NM offshore or to handling facilities ashore. Gray water is retained when in port as capacity allowed. I could imagine gray water being discharged on occasion probably into the mid 90s by older vessels. That's why I'd like to see what the journalist has in documentation. Discharges are logged. I can't speak to NPDES applicability in BCW waters.

XNN