PDA

View Full Version : Sam Adams Beer Withdraws From St Patrick Day Parade Over Gay Marchers Ban

Origanalist
03-16-2014, 04:49 AM
http://cdn.breitbart.com/mediaserver/Breitbart/Big-Government/2014/03/15/Sam-Adams-Beer-AP.png

by ROBERT WILDE 15 Mar 2014

The Boston St. Patrick’s Day Parade will be sans Sam Adams Beer on Sunday because the parade organizers exclude gay groups. Along with Sam Adam’s, Mayor Martin Walsh will also be boycotting the annual parade, which is sponsored by the South Boston Allied War Veterans Council. The Irish-American mayor said he would not march in the parade unless gay groups were allowed to march.

The Supreme Court ruled unanimously in 1995 that the South Boston Allied War Veterans Council had a constitutional right to exclude marchers whose message they reject, including those who seek to identify themselves as gay, lesbian, and bisexual Irish-Americans. The parade, one of the biggest St. Patrick’s Day parades in the nation, draws as many as one million people to South Boston.

continued....http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/03/15/Sam-Adams-Beer-Withdraws-From-St-Patrick-Day-Parade-Over-Gay-Marchers-Ban#disqus_thread

Danke
03-16-2014, 04:57 AM
Couple John Fitzpatrick and Patrick Fitzjohn are boycotting this year also.

Origanalist
03-16-2014, 05:11 AM
Couple John Fitzpatrick and Patrick Fitzjohn are boycotting this year also.

Are they famous?

Red Green
03-16-2014, 06:49 AM
Are they famous?

In certain quarters, yes.

John F Kennedy III
03-16-2014, 07:05 AM
I support their right to exclude who they want. I also support possible participant's right to boycott in protest.

I'M A HORRIBLE PERSON.

donnay
03-16-2014, 07:13 AM
I wonder what the REAL Sam Adams would do?

juleswin
03-16-2014, 07:33 AM
Who drinks Sam Adams on St Patrick's day? Come one now, its Guinness stout, Harp or nothing.

specsaregood
03-16-2014, 07:48 AM
Who drinks Sam Adams on St Patrick's day?

Their beer aint great no matter the day.

Red Green
03-16-2014, 08:16 AM

Not to defend SA too much, their beer might not be great but it is certainly good. Big company or not, craft or not, their beer at times is the only good thing on draught in a crappy bar (airports).

KingNothing
03-16-2014, 08:18 AM

Sam Adams? C'mon, they make several great beers. They have some that stink, but they really are a great company.

specsaregood
03-16-2014, 08:23 AM
Not to defend SA too much, their beer might not be great but it is certainly good. Big company or not, craft or not, their beer at times is the only good thing on draught in a crappy bar (airports).
Well I just said they weren't great, I didn't say they sucked. And using what is available at an airport bar is a pretty low bar to set...

Sam Adams? C'mon, they make several great beers. They have some that stink, but they really are a great company.
Meh, I haven't found any "great beers" by them. But, to each their own.

KingNothing
03-16-2014, 08:39 AM
Well I just said they weren't great, I didn't say they sucked. And using what is available at an airport bar is a pretty low bar to set...

Meh, I haven't found any "great beers" by them. But, to each their own.

I enjoy their Winter Lager and Latitude 48 IPA is good. They've got their unique stuff like Utopias which is highly regarded, and I did like Fat Jack Double Pumpkin. For the variety and the quantity they put out, they're probably in a class of their own as a brewing company. I respect them for that.

specsaregood
03-16-2014, 08:49 AM
I enjoy their Winter Lager and Latitude 48 IPA is good. They've got their unique stuff like Utopias which is highly regarded, and I did like Fat Jack Double Pumpkin. For the variety and the quantity they put out, they're probably in a class of their own as a brewing company. I respect them for that.

I tried one of their pumpkin ales a few years ago, it tasted like barf in a bottle. We couldn't even finish 1 out of the 6pack. I brought the 5pack over to a party (with a bunch of liberals in attendance) months later just to be rid of it. Winter lager is ok, not sure if I ever tried their latitude since there are so many other great ipas on the market. gonna make a beer run later today, maybe i'll pick it up to try. If I was going to pick a bigger mass produced company, I like most all of sierra Nevada's offerings, same for Dogfish or Victory brewing. I'd take most any of those over any sam adams.

If we are taking stouts, its not irish but the Samuel Smith offerings are my favorite off the shelf stouts. I'd take that over a Guinness anyday, even st. paddy's day.

KCIndy
03-16-2014, 09:07 AM
I support their right to exclude who they want. I also support possible participant's right to boycott in protest.

I'M A HORRIBLE PERSON.

*GASP*

Oh, you... you... you FREEDOM LOVER, you!!! How dare you suggest everyone has a right to free speech and choice of association!!

Quark
03-16-2014, 09:33 AM
All seem right to me. Market forces are at work without government intervention and distortion.

Hyperion
03-16-2014, 09:37 AM
And now I boycott Samuel Adams!

LibForestPaul
03-16-2014, 10:39 AM
The Supreme Court ruled unanimously in 1995 that the South Boston Allied War Veterans Council

Shocked it was unanimous.

Paulbot99
03-16-2014, 10:41 AM
How many parades do gays want?

moostraks
03-16-2014, 10:43 AM
In certain quarters, yes.

Ugh...googled and then I got it. Lol!

Origanalist
03-16-2014, 10:48 AM
How many parades do gays want?

All of them.

LibertyEagle
03-16-2014, 10:50 AM
I would bet that the organizers would have no problem whatsoever with gays being in the parade, if they wanted to be there to do something besides promote what is best left behind closed doors.

Voluntarist
03-16-2014, 10:54 AM
xxxxx

Origanalist
03-16-2014, 10:57 AM
I would bet that the organizers would have no problem whatsoever with gays being in the parade, if they wanted to be there to do something besides promote what is best left behind closed doors.

But they have been in the closet so long LE. They just want to throw the doors wide open for the world to see.

oyarde
03-16-2014, 10:57 AM
If I had a parade I would not ban openly gay Sam Adams drinkers , at the same time , I would be OK with it if they found something else to do .

Paulbot99
03-16-2014, 11:06 AM
But they have been in the closet so long LE. They just want to throw the doors wide open for the world to see.

I keep my sexual appetites private. I call it courtesy.

RJB
03-16-2014, 11:12 AM
When I was a kid, I saw on the news some grown men in a parade wearing diapers and chains and someone whipping them. I asked my dad and he said something about "stupid *****s." It really colored my vision of gay people growing up.

I know this may sound like a dumb question, but everytime I've seen "gay" and "parade" on the news, I see all kinds of stuff that I'd rather my kids not see. Is this just news sensationalism or would the gay marchers dress tastefully in a St. Patrick's day parade?

If I were gay, I'd distance myself from gay parades, just because they promote the worst stereotypes. It would be like black people having a parade and instead of celebrating MLK, George Washington Carver, etc, they engage in the worst stereotypical behavior. Then again, seeing a bunch of drunk fratboys puking green beer in the gutter isn't very classy either.

As for Sam Adam's, I was planning on having homebrewed mead instead of beer today anyway.

Origanalist
03-16-2014, 11:15 AM
Is this just news sensationalism or would the gay marchers dress tastefully in a St. Patrick's day parade?

A short google search would answer that question.

Barrex
03-16-2014, 11:35 AM
St=Saint. Right?!:?:.

How about ban gay parade because they dont allow priests, monks, rabbis, imams to be part of their parade and wear signs "Sodomy is a sin", "Gay is not ok" and so on. Those assfucks dont care about world peace? When is the last time all religion were united? It is obvious. If gays were to allow that all religions march in peace, there would be no more wars and no more armies...no armies means no "we are not gays we do it only while we are in the army" times.

http://i.qkme.me/358yhe.jpg

and why I shouldnt be banned:
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnWgVhHpBbKR-pAKCakqiEax6EgkQyw6HCAfcu6ThkYuwEK1HATQ

VIDEODROME
03-16-2014, 11:49 AM
Maybe they should seek to more typical gay people to participate and at the same time exclude the exhibitionist types.

LibertyEagle
03-16-2014, 01:14 PM
Maybe they should seek to more typical gay people to participate and at the same time exclude the exhibitionist types.

Why should they seek anyone to participate based on their sexual proclivities? This is what pisses people off about gays. It's not enough for some to just be free to have sex however they choose. They want everyone to be forced to frickin' watch them.

oyarde
03-16-2014, 01:19 PM
I wonder what the REAL Sam Adams would do?

He would say , " If you are putting my name on it , better be better than this " .

Paulbot99
03-16-2014, 08:08 PM
He was also proud of his Puritan heritage and a deacon so...

PaleoPaul
03-16-2014, 08:32 PM
Why should they seek anyone to participate based on their sexual proclivities? This is what pisses people off about gays. It's not enough for some to just be free to have sex however they choose. They want everyone to be forced to frickin' watch them.
Because being gay is more than sex. I could have my genitals chopped off tomorrow and I'd still be gay.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
03-16-2014, 08:34 PM
The real question is why taxpayers foot the bill for these parades in the form of police overtime, street cleaning, etc.

Dr.3D
03-16-2014, 08:48 PM
Yes, I've never seen straight people pushing a bed down the street with them doing stuff in it.

oyarde
03-16-2014, 08:50 PM
The real question is why taxpayers foot the bill for these parades in the form of police overtime, street cleaning, etc.

I figured the smart ones charge money for vending , selling , permits , entrance fees etc and pay for it and make some ?

Origanalist
03-16-2014, 08:51 PM
Because being gay is more than sex. I could have my genitals chopped off tomorrow and I'd still be gay.

Lol, wut?

MelissaWV
03-16-2014, 09:00 PM
Lol, wut?

Meaning that, even if someone cannot perform sexual acts, they can still feel an attraction --- homosexual or otherwise.

Origanalist
03-16-2014, 09:07 PM
Meaning that, even if someone cannot perform sexual acts, they can still feel an attraction --- homosexual or otherwise.

What does that have to do with what LE posted?

Also, isn't being "gay" based entirely on your sexual attraction? So how is it about more than sex? Do they have a extra rib bone or something?

NorthCarolinaLiberty
03-16-2014, 09:09 PM
I figured the smart ones charge money for vending , selling , permits , entrance fees etc and pay for it and make some ?

Hmmm, well, the words smart and city government would have to go together like two magnet poles. You and I might be profit-minded, but bringing up such things in a meeting will get you stares anywhere from a dumb cow to a mad hornet.

"Although it is a private parade, the event relies on public resources. In 2013, the city spent more than $315,000 on police overtime for the parade and setting up barricades the day before. The city also incurred costs to clean streets, but police are the most significant expense, city officials said. A spokeswoman for Walsh said parade organizers do not reimburse the city for police costs and do not pay a fee for their parade permit, which was issued Jan. 28 by the Transportation Department."

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/2014/03/05/standoff-continues-gay-rights-organization-bid-march-boston-patrick-day-parade/BO9C7eqFO37of7Vs696CvN/story.html

Dr.3D
03-16-2014, 09:11 PM
What does that have to do with what LE posted?
I guess, maybe when they feel attraction, they find the need to do strange things in public with diapers and stuff.

Anti Federalist
03-16-2014, 09:36 PM
They are in good company.

Red Bill DeBlasio is boycotting as well in NYC.

Amid Mayoral Missteps, Irish Eyes Are Rolling in New York City

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/17/nyregion/amid-mayoral-missteps-irish-eyes-are-rolling-in-new-york-city.html

Paulbot99
03-16-2014, 11:29 PM
Well, that's definitely a plus. :D

oyarde
03-17-2014, 12:35 AM

I think that is right , attraction is more or less mentally centered ( I think ) , if you are cold , wet and starving as an example , those needs are looked to first , then , humane nature ( I suspect ) , once those are meet , attraction follows .

PRB
03-17-2014, 01:19 AM
St Patrick's Day is a CATHOLIC celebration, after all. and it's not a national holiday.

Antischism
03-17-2014, 02:17 AM
Nothing wrong with anything here. People are free to boycott, voice displeasure, etc.
Parade organizers can choose to exclude groups.

I still think their rationale for excluding gay groups is pretty bogus, especially for a parade glorifying war veterans and that allows other groups, such as people dressed as pirates and Stormtroopers to do their thing. If their reasoning really is because "it'll take focus away," they aren't doing a very good job of it and are quite hypocritical. A few gay flags here and there aren't going to take focus away from anything. Gay groups, no thanks. War veterans, awesome!

https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash2/t1.0-9/p180x540/562818_10152673027635704_1456756607_n.jpg

That's beside my thoughts on ethnic pride parades inherently being stupid. Recognition and a celebration of different cultures/ideas, sure. But all too often there's this awful sense of pride for something you didn't even choose to begin with. I'm reminded of a George Carlin bit, actually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OnWnwwxNPA

I understand that people will find any sort of excuse to have fun, drink beers and go to parades. It's pretty human. I've even gone to various parades celebrating things I don't have much in common with, just because it's fun. But deep down on some level, I feel as if they're these big demonstrations of a sense of superiority for being born somewhere or doing things a certain way. They just come across as divisive to me, which is why I don't have a high opinion of them.

MichaelDavis
03-17-2014, 10:00 AM
Good. Their beer tastes like piss.

libertygrl
03-17-2014, 10:35 AM

From what I understand, Gays are not banned. It's the banners they want to carry.

Mayor de Blasio drew a line in the sand when he marched through Sunnyside, Queens, last week in the gay-friendly St. Pat’s for All parade. Posing for pictures with the manly Irish drag queen known as Panti Bliss, who rocked false eyelashes, lipstick and enough foundation makeup to support a three-story building, the mayor could not hide a horrified expression plastered on his face that screamed silently — “Help me!”

He needs all the help he can get.

If you thought Hizzoner’s public stand alongside New York’s lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals would bring him fans or a coveted spot next to transvestite Lady Bunny at this summer’s NYC Gay Pride March, you’d be mistaken. De Blasio would be lucky to nab a stool in a Greenwich Village gay bar.

De Blasio announced last month that he’s boycotting the St. Patrick’s Day Parade, set to run up Fifth Avenue March 17, in solidarity with homosexuals, who are prohibited from carrying banners, waving signs or wearing lapel pins that identify their sexual persuasions. Public Advocate Letitia James will be a no-show. Any City Council member who dares march won’t wave a city government sign, Speaker Melissa Mark-Viverito decreed.
Guess what — no one cheered.

De Blasio didn’t win any love in the gay community when he gave his blessing to city workers in uniform, including cops and firefighters, plus Police Commissioner William Bratton, to participate in the festivities. He maintains they have a constitutional right to free expression.
“We’re angry. Frustrated would be a better word,’’ Emmaia Gelman, an organizer for the group Irish *****s, told me.

Gelman said her outfit is considering suing the city, claiming parade rules violate city human-rights laws.

The mayor also angered members of the city’s Irish-Catholic community who see his boycott as no less than an expression of intolerance.
“De Blasio, he has no respect for diversity,’’ William Donohue, president of the Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights, told me.
“I really find this very scary. I’ve been kicked by lesbians in the street!” In the mid-1990s, Donohue said, he was physically attacked while taking pictures of lesbians assembling in front of the Mid-Manhattan Library on Fifth Avenue on the morning of the parade.
“You’re dealing with people who are fascist.”

Let me clear up one misconception. Gays are not banned from this parade. Everyone, whether Irish, Jewish, Hindu or pansexual, is welcome to attend the city’s St. Patrick’s Day Parade, the nation’s largest. The event dates to 1762, when the British still ran this country, New York was more than a century away from acquiring five boroughs, and people still friended each other in person. All can attend — provided they don’t carry signs identifying themselves as gay. Or straight. Or vegan, neo-Nazi or pro-gun, to name just a few categories. Civic groups and colleges can carry signs.

So the mayor’s stubborn insistence on skipping the parade (he also did so while serving as public advocate from 2010 to 2013) has nothing to do with gay exclusion. It has everything to do with de Blasio’s lack of respect for people with whom he disagrees.

If the parade opens up to groups whose members identify themselves by bedroom activities, then how can parade organizers justify stopping skinheads, abortion foes or members of the North American Man/Boy Love Association from waving banners?

The parade “is a celebration of Irish heritage and culture — nothing more, nothing less,” Hilary Beirne, executive secretary of NYC St. Patrick’s Day Parade, which organizes the event, last month told The Wall Street Journal.

“There’s another parade in New York City that celebrates being gay and being lesbian, and that’s the Gay Pride Parade,’’ Beirne said.
Things have been quiet along the parade route since Mayor David Dinkins skipped the event back in 1993. Mayor Michael Bloomberg marched throughout his 12 years in office. Mayor Rudy Giuliani did so for eight years.

The question of who has a right to wave banners appeared settled in 1995. That’s when US Supreme Court justices voted unanimously, 9-0, that Boston parade organizers, including those who run the nation’s second-largest St. Patrick’s Day Parade after New York’s, have a First Amendment right to invite or exclude any group from events that, like this city’s parade, are considered private.

But now, Boston Mayor Martin Walsh is vowing to skip his city’s parade this coming Sunday unless a deal is reached to include gay military veterans, who’d march under their own banner without wearing clothes or carrying signs that identify them as gay. But last week, testy negotiations between the gay group and parade organizers broke down. The two sides are now trying to come to an agreement.

The St. Patrick’s Day Parade is not the place for sexual battles. Gay activists should take the fight someplace else.

http://nypost.com/2014/03/10/de-blasio-wins-no-fans-with-st-patricks-day-parade-boycott/

Paulbot99
03-17-2014, 07:24 PM
So, all that's banned is pushing their agenda?

oyarde
03-17-2014, 11:09 PM
So, all that's banned is pushing their agenda?

It appears that way , no grown men running around in tutus with signs . Thank goodness for the children . LOL

PRB
03-18-2014, 02:36 AM
From what I understand, Gays are not banned. It's the banners they want to carry.

You are correct, it's the message that's banned, not that anybody is excluded from being audience or marchers in a parade for his or her skin color, sexual orientation...etc.

PRB
03-18-2014, 02:36 AM

You are correct, it's the message that's banned, not that anybody is excluded from being audience or marchers in a parade for his or her skin color, sexual orientation...etc.

specsaregood
03-18-2014, 06:25 AM
Latitude 48 IPA is good.

So I tried it, its "ok"; but not great. There are a great many better IPAs available on the market. I doubt I'd buy it again unless I was stuck in an airport bar or something and it was the only decent thing they had on tap.

Origanalist
03-18-2014, 09:34 AM
So I tried it, its "ok"; but not great. There are a great many better IPAs available on the market. I doubt I'd buy it again unless I was stuck in an airport bar or something and it was the only decent thing they had on tap.

I agree. Sam Adams is a "not bad" beer. Meaning not good either.

Anti Federalist
01-24-2018, 11:59 AM
With March 17 on it's way, have the Irish folded to the fa ggots yet, or are they still holding out?

fisharmor
01-24-2018, 12:11 PM
Bumping old threads depresses me. I see all the people who aren't around here anymore, and then I remember, there's no reason for us to be here, either.

Anti Federalist
01-24-2018, 12:46 PM
Bumping old threads depresses me. I see all the people who aren't around here anymore, and then I remember, there's no reason for us to be here, either.

It does the same thing to me. :(

Origanalist
01-24-2018, 01:34 PM

I'm just about there. Running out of reasons to stay.

pcosmar
01-24-2018, 02:10 PM

Occasional intelligent conversation.

it keeps me coming back.

Swordsmyth
01-24-2018, 02:52 PM

It does the same thing to me. :(

Occasional intelligent conversation.

it keeps me coming back.

Someone has to keep the fire going until the next torchbearer begins his run.

RonZeplin
01-24-2018, 03:29 PM
No0b$ MAGA?