PDA

View Full Version : I think he broke the law, so I certainly wouldn’t characterize him as a hero

aGameOfThrones
03-15-2014, 08:22 AM
When Edward Snowden starts his official fanclub, he shouldn’t expect Bill Gates to sign up. The richest man in the world isn’t much of a fan at all, it turns out. In an interview with Rolling Stone, Gates outlined his view of Snowden in the context of his methods, and privacy itself.

Answering the question as to whether he viewed that Snowden was a hero, or a traitor, Gates hedged slightly, but leaned noticeably in one direction:

I think he broke the law, so I certainly wouldn’t characterize him as a hero. If he wanted to raise the issues and stay in the country and engage in civil disobedience or something of that kind, or if he had been careful in terms of what he had released, then it would fit more of the model of “OK, I’m really trying to improve things.” You won’t find much admiration from me.

The test of If Break The Law, Then Not Hero is quite silly, especially since Gates mentions in the next sentence that “civil disobedience” would have been a better option.

Gates was then asked if it is “better now that we know what we know about government surveillance?” Gates:

The government has such ability to do these things. There has to be a debate. But the specific techniques they use become unavailable if they’re discussed in detail. So the debate needs to be about the general notion of under what circumstances should they be allowed to do things.

http://techcrunch.com/2014/03/14/bill-gates-says-snowden-is-no-hero/

Dr.3D
03-15-2014, 08:26 AM
So if somebody breaks the 'do not squeal on the government' law to tell the public the government broke the law, the government gets away with it and the guy who let us know gets in trouble?

Something is very wrong here.

Tod
03-15-2014, 08:27 AM
By Gates' criteria, Irena Sendler was not a hero either, because she was breaking the law too.

Yeah, we see how you roll, Billy.

MRK
03-15-2014, 08:27 AM
I think he broke the law, so I certainly wouldn’t characterize him as a hero. If he wanted to raise the issues and stay in the country and engage in civil disobedience or something of that kind, or if he had been careful in terms of what he had released, then it would fit more of the model of “OK, I’m really trying to improve things.” You won’t find much admiration from me.

I had reported these clearly problematic programs to more than ten distinct officials, none of whom took any action to address them. As an employee of a private company rather than a direct employee of the US government, I was not protected by US whistleblower laws, and I would not have been protected from retaliation and legal sanction for revealing classified information about lawbreaking in accordance with the recommended process.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/03/07/snowden-i-raised-nsa-concerns-internally-over-10-times-before-going-rogue/

What else was he going to do? Go back to work the fields and keep his head down like the ideal serf?

I am reminded of Tod's signature: "Sorry, guys, the rebellion is off. We couldn't get a rebellion permit."

satchelmcqueen
03-15-2014, 09:02 AM
so did microsoft break laws a few decades ago when they became so successful that the government demanded they split up (or something like that...cant recall) ???

I DONT THINK SO from what i remember. i wonder if gates remembers being hauled into court for being good vs an unfair law?

donnay
03-15-2014, 09:15 AM
That's because Bill Gates has worked with the government to snoop on people. He is really a POS. I loathe Bill Gates.

Microsoft Helped The Government Spy On Millions Of Americans
http://www.mrconservative.com/2013/07/21231-microsoft-helped-the-government-spy-on-millions-of-americans/

cajuncocoa
03-15-2014, 09:55 AM
Almost everyone who has engaged in effective civil disobedience did it by breaking the law. Fuck Bill Gates.

aGameOfThrones
03-15-2014, 10:53 AM
Almost everyone who has engaged in effective civil disobedience did it by breaking the law. Fuck Bill Gates.

“First, I want to clear up,” Chief Lanier began, “There’s a difference between civil disobedience, which I think this is being portrayed as, as civil disobedience, and actual violation of the law. There’s two different things here. Civil disobedience, people come to D.C. to protest policies and government policy all the time—it’s no problem. But when you cross into the District of Columbia with a firearm and you’re not in compliance with the law, now you’re talking about a criminal offense and there’s going to be some action by police.”

Anti Federalist
03-15-2014, 12:22 PM
Stay where you are Ed.

Stay where you are...we don't deserve you and what you risked and did.

If you come back, Boobus will kill you.

Don't risk your life for nothing.

DamianTV
03-15-2014, 07:51 PM
I most certainly would not categorize Gates as either a Hero of the People or a Champion of Privacy. The main difference between Snowden and Gates is that Snowden made a tremendous personal sacrifice for the benefit of the people, while Gates has created a successful business by taking as much money as he can from the people with no sacrifice. Gates himself has found himself in hot water numerous times for unethical business practices.

KCIndy
03-15-2014, 11:28 PM
I guess Gates has no respect for guys like Jefferson, Adams, Washington and Franklin either. All those men "broke the law" in defiance of established authority, and would have paid with their lives if they had been caught.

Maybe Gates would have been happier if Patrick Henry had stood in an Official Limited Free Speech Zone while watching the Redcoats go marching past and waving a sign declaring, "Give Me Liberty.... please... pretty please, if it isn't too much to ask for???"

Ugh.

VoluntaryAmerican
03-16-2014, 10:56 AM
Gates is a scumbag, thug. NSA got to Microsoft first.

CaptUSA
03-16-2014, 11:13 AM
So, in order for Snowden to be considered a hero, he would have had to submit to being locked away forever or killed. Anything short of that and these idiots would say his sacrifice wasn't big enough to be a hero.

Listen. What Snowden did took amazing courage. Without his courage, governments would still be spying on every living person while remaining cloaked in their own secrecy. They are still spying, but Snowden lifted the cloak a little. He is a hero because of what he did - not because of the repercussions he had to endure.

Anti Federalist
03-16-2014, 12:06 PM
So, in order for Snowden to be considered a hero, he would have had to submit to being locked away forever or killed. Anything short of that and these idiots would say his sacrifice wasn't big enough to be a hero.

Listen. What Snowden did took amazing courage. Without his courage, governments would still be spying on every living person while remaining cloaked in their own secrecy. They are still spying, but Snowden lifted the cloak a little. He is a hero because of what he did - not because of the repercussions he had to endure.

+rep

Anti Federalist
03-16-2014, 12:08 PM

When do you put your life and billions on the line for something there, Billy boy?

STFU why don't you.

Philhelm
03-16-2014, 12:20 PM
When do you put your life and billions on the line for something there, Billy boy?

STFU why don't you.

If there is any justice in this world, or any redress of grievances to be had, then he may have put his life on the line for his position after all.

RJB
03-16-2014, 12:31 PM
Permanent exile ain't all it's cut out to be either, Gates.

osan
03-16-2014, 12:36 PM
What nominally intelligent adult listens to anything that Gates has to say?

I think Bill likes to hear himself talk. Honestly, I'm a bit surprised he hasn't bought himself a radio show yet.