PDA

View Full Version : Global debt exceeds $100 trillion

Cabal
03-14-2014, 05:56 PM
Global Debt Exceeds $100 Trillion as Governments Binge, BIS Says (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-03-09/global-debt-exceeds-100-trillion-as-governments-binge-bis-says.html)

The amount of debt globally has soared more than 40 percent to $100 trillion since the first signs of the financial crisis as governments borrowed to pull their economies out of recession and companies took advantage of record low interest rates, according to the Bank for International Settlements.

The $30 trillion increase from $70 trillion between mid-2007 and mid-2013 compares with a $3.86 trillion decline in the value of equities to $53.8 trillion in the same period, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. The jump in debt as measured by the Basel, Switzerland-based BIS in its quarterly review is almost twice the U.S.’s gross domestic product.

Borrowing has soared as central banks suppress benchmark interest rates to spur growth after the U.S. subprime mortgage market collapsed and Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc.’s bankruptcy sent the world into its worst financial crisis since the Great Depression. Yields on all types of bonds, from governments to corporates and mortgages, average about 2 percent, down from more than 4.8 percent in 2007, according to the Bank of America Merrill Lynch Global Broad Market Index.

“Given the significant expansion in government spending in recent years, governments (including central, state and local governments) have been the largest debt issuers,” according to Branimir Gruic, an analyst, and Andreas Schrimpf, an economist at the BIS. The organization is owned by 60 central banks and hosts the Basel Committee on Banking Supervision, a group of regulators and central bankers that sets global capital standards.

Austerity Measures

Marketable U.S. government debt outstanding has surged to a record $12 trillion, up from $4.5 trillion at the end of 2007, according to U.S. Treasury data compiled by Bloomberg. Corporate bond sales globally jumped during the period, with issuance totaling more than $21 trillion, Bloomberg data show.

Concerned that high debt loads would cause international investors to avoid their markets, many nations resorted to austerity measures of reduced spending and increased taxes, reining in their economies in the process as they tried to restore the fiscal order they abandoned to fight the worldwide recession.

Adjusting budgets to ignore interest payments, the International Monetary Fund said late last year that the so-called primary deficit in the Group of Seven countries reached an average 5.1 percent in 2010 when also smoothed to ignore large economic swings. The measure will fall to 1.2 percent this year, the IMF predicted.

The unprecedented retrenchments between 2010 and 2013 amounted to 3.5 percent of U.S. gross domestic product and 3.3 percent of euro-area GDP, according to Julian Callow, chief international economist at Barclays Plc in London.

The riskiest to the most-creditworthy bonds have returned more than 31 percent since 2007, according to Bank of America Merrill Lynch index data. Treasury and agency debt handed investors gains of 27 percent in the period, while corporate bonds worldwide returned more than 40 percent, the indexes show.

DamianTV
03-14-2014, 07:11 PM
Factor in all the Derivatives worldwide and you end up in the Quadrillions. Thats a Million Billion, and practically defies comprehension. Compared to the average worth of a mundane being a buck and a quarater, and one just might notice a slight difference.

Danke
03-14-2014, 07:15 PM
So we are on the way to recovery then?

Mini-Me
03-14-2014, 07:29 PM
Is this just another milestone, or is $100,000,000,000,000 the winning score?

SilenceDewgooder
03-14-2014, 08:32 PM
"It is said that the world is in a state of bankruptcy, that the world owes the world more than the world can pay, and ought to go into chancery, and be sold." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

thoughtomator
03-14-2014, 08:48 PM
Factor in all the Derivatives worldwide and you end up in the Quadrillions. Thats a Million Billion, and practically defies comprehension. Compared to the average worth of a mundane being a buck and a quarater, and one just might notice a slight difference.

A lot of the derivatives cancel each other out. It's the raw debt that is the problem. $100 trillion is just national government debt. It doesn't count private debt.

The point where the total outstanding debt exceeds the surplus (post-survival) income of all living human beings currently in existence can be described accurately as the total enslavement of humanity. If we are not at that point yet, we're damn close to it and arriving rapidly. The implications of passing that point are as profound as any event that can occur by human design.

ClydeCoulter
03-14-2014, 08:53 PM
Who in the hell had that much money to loan to the world?

thoughtomator
03-14-2014, 08:58 PM

Nobody ever did. Fractional reserve banking creates this "money" out of thin air as an inherent consequence of the act of lending. When a bank loans you money, it doesn't need to actually have that money. All it needs to do is turn over the loan to the Fed, which will provide the money to the bank to back the loan. The interest on the loan stays with the bank, which is a literal something for nothing.

Voluntarist
03-14-2014, 09:00 PM
xxxxx

PRB
03-14-2014, 09:30 PM
who owes who?

Zippyjuan
03-14-2014, 09:31 PM
Nobody ever did. Fractional reserve banking creates this "money" out of thin air as an inherent consequence of the act of lending. When a bank loans you money, it doesn't need to actually have that money. All it needs to do is turn over the loan to the Fed, which will provide the money to the bank to back the loan. The interest on the loan stays with the bank, which is a literal something for nothing.

Banks can loan out infinite dollars? Not exactly. "The bank doesn't need to actually have that money" also not exactly. They do need to have that money. There is this thing called a "reserve requirement" which is a percentage of the deposits the bank has. Banks can make loans up to that reserve requirement- typically ten percent of their deposits. If they have $10 billion in deposits, they can issue $9 billion in loans- not infinity. The banks don't turn any loans over to the Fed and the Fed does not give them the money to make that loan.

A banks deposits and loans must balance at the end of each day. If loans exceed 90% of their deposits, they need to borrow money to cover the difference which costs them money and they don't want to do that.

thoughtomator
03-14-2014, 09:38 PM
Banks can loan out infinite dollars? Not exactly. "The bank doesn't need to actually have that money" also not exactly. They do need to have that money. There is this thing called a "reserve requirement" which is a percentage of the deposits the bank has. Banks can make loans up to that reserve requirement- typically ten percent of their deposits. If they have $10 billion in deposits, they can issue $9 billion in loans- not infinity. The banks don't turn any loans over to the Fed and the Fed does not give them the money to make that loan.

A banks deposits and loans must balance at the end of each day. If loans exceed 90% of their deposits, they need to borrow money to cover the difference which costs them money and they don't want to do that.

Given that banks are openly allowed to cook their books at will, the reserve requirement is a farce.

Zippyjuan
03-14-2014, 09:47 PM

World GDP is about $84 trillion. But that is the value of what was produced THIS YEAR. The world has been producing goods and services for centuries. Your debt may exceed how much you made this year- does that mean you will never be able to pay back the loan? No- you have many years of earning to make payments. Likewise, the lenders had many years to save up money to loan out. Their total assets are more than what they made in just one year. According to an article on Zerohedge http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-06-02/its-1-world-who-owns-what-223-trillion-global-wealth global household wealth was $223 trillion. That does not include businesses like investment firms or banks or corporations or retirement funds.

In the article, it says that " The bottom line: 29 million, or 0.6% of those with any actual assets under their name, own $87.4 trillion, or 39.3% of all global assets." so basically the top one percent could theoretically buy all of that debt.

Zippyjuan
03-14-2014, 09:48 PM
Given that banks are openly allowed to cook their books at will, the reserve requirement is a farce.

"Openly allowed"? No- they are audited.

thoughtomator
03-14-2014, 10:42 PM
"Openly allowed"? No- they are audited.

At some point in every conversation you become so ridiculous that I stop believing that you are both serious and sane. Came pretty fast this time.

oyarde
03-14-2014, 10:57 PM
So we are on the way to recovery then?

Nah , I do not think so :) , not yet .... to think when I was 16 that meant getting over a hangover , then when I was 17 , that meant all the gear & weapons were clean and turned in , now it means , I will not live long enough to see economic recovery ....

DamianTV
03-15-2014, 08:11 AM

Say hello to Modern Banking! Loaning what they do not have is how money is made!

asurfaholic
03-15-2014, 08:33 AM
impossible.

the global debt is $0.

satchelmcqueen
03-15-2014, 09:00 AM
will we ever go back to the era when every 7 yrs the debts are cancelled and we start over?

oyarde
03-15-2014, 10:46 AM
I am feeling better about my debts and assets after reading this , I think I can still get my last 90K or so of debt pd off in the next 10 or 11 yrs :) . I wish I could calculate all of the debt I have pd off in a lifetime , but my record keeping is not that good ,lol . I bet I would have close to a 1/2 million in Social Security , Medicare , child support , health , dental , vision insurance and plane tickets alone . That is pretty dang ridiculous .